Sage 50cloud Accounting Reviews

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Cloud-connected accounting solution for small business

3.5/5

Prof Cephas
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Super Integrated Cloud Accounting and Finance app

Reviewed on 15/01/2022

I found this accounting software to be very useful mainly to small and medium size companies and to a limited extent, to some large companies. It performs all the basic accounting functions relating to accounts receivables and accounts payables, inventory management, cash management and budgeting and compiling and producing financial statements.

Pros

1. Sage 50c offers user friendly navigation tools such as the menu bar, the tool bar, system navigation and
function and shortcut keys.
2. The software has cloud storage
3. A user can easily create and setup a new company using the Auto Setup facility
4. One can also easily create and edit general ledger accounts, inventory categories/items, supplier and
customer accounts, among others.
5. A user can easily import/export data from other sources. This saves a lot of time.
6. The software is integrated with other apps, for example, Microsoft emails and excel

Cons

1. Sage 50c requires proper and adequate training. The training is expensive
2. On average, it is expensive to buy this accounting package.
3. The integration with other apps (accounting and non-accounting) is still limited.
4. Sage 50c does not run on some operating systems, for example, windows NT.

martinho
  • Industry: Executive Office

I have been using the sage billing system for several years. I recommend

Reviewed on 15/02/2020

It is software that has been with me daily for several years, I'm already in tune with the program, the experience is fantastic

Pros

Very intuitive, easy to perform everyday tasks , Has very important sales charts, In the main frame we have all the necessary information, we don't need to go around opening several menus.

Cons

In my case, I cannot reconcile with my accountant , It is not easy to layout invoices is not a very easy process

Oracle Primavera Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Sage 50cloud Accounting

It was more expensive and was not as intuitive as sage.

Oracle Primavera Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Sage 50cloud Accounting

For the price, and the test I did was very easy, the menus are easy to learn. excellent software
John

Good...But A Little Expensive

Reviewed on 13/08/2018

I use the Canadian version of the software. I suspect it's basically the same as the American version, except for sales tax and payroll, but I would check a review of that version for any American users.

Pros

Sage 50 is an easy-to-use piece of accounting software aimed at SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises), and it is one of QuickBooks' major competitors.

It's fairly easy to find people who are familiar with Sage 50. That's a plus for small businesses looking to find an employee or outside service provider to take care of their books.

If you are looking to do the books yourself, Sage 50 is relatively easy to learn. They have thorough tutorials available to walk you through the basics.

Major transactions are grouped together under tabs on the left-hand navigation panel. The various workflows--receivables, payables, inventory and services, employees and payroll, and a 'company' category--are all shown graphically. Each task within a major area is represented as a labeled icon, making it is to start a new transaction from this screen. The 'company' link is a catch-all category, including general journal entries, the chart of accounts and tools for managing your data and accounting tasks.

Virtually every report that a small business could need is available in Sage 50.

Cons

I found Sage 50 to be glitchy in the past. I have spent too many hours on hold or on a call with their tech support.

I use the payroll-included version of Sage 50. I also have a support package. In all, that's not competitively priced. If it weren't for the fact that some clients have been using this software for years and are reimbursing me for the cost of the software, I would not be using it. QuickBooks is a better value.

Holly

A great in depth accounting program for businesses that is super user friendly

Reviewed on 13/11/2023

Its just a great tool, I have used other accounting software that no way near match up to Sage and cost more. I would highly recommend.

Pros

I love how in-depth the data/ reporting is, whilst still being so user friendly. It is such a great tool for everyone at every level in the accounts department. I also love how good the support is, there are so many different ways to contact them for their expert advice.

Cons

I don't have any negatives, Sage keep on top of things, offer upgrades/ updates when needed and also keep everyone in the loop if there is new legislation/ information coming out, all free of charge.

Brandon
Brandon
  • Industry: Package/Freight Delivery

Sage 50 Review

Reviewed on 14/05/2019

Sage has always been helpful through online or phone calls whenever you need them. Find the right consultant for you, and you experience improves.

Pros

There is alot of things that are already set up for you to just hit the ground running and a lot of items integrated into the system to help small businesses that need a solution but no time to customize a whole system.

Cons

Sage 50 allows for minimal customization from their out of the box set up software. This plays as an advantage, but does not allow you to get the information you want in the view you want.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Sage 50cloud Accounting

Seemed like more flexibility for our company to grow with instead of needing to upgrade at certain numbers of users, employees, or items.
Aubrey
  • Industry: Machinery

Easy to Use

Reviewed on 8/07/2022

Generally positive. Very easy to use. I've been using it for about 8 months and have found it easy to navigate.

Pros

I like that you can delete journal entries if you posted it in error or need to make an adjustment. Other software would require you to do a separate journal entry to reverse the original entry. This software allows you to delete it as if it never happened. I like that because it helps keeps the GL looking clean.

Cons

I wish there was a faster way to drill into invoices/payments that are tied together.

Biff

Can't get up and running

Reviewed on 25/05/2022

My account isn't having any troubles but as the business owner, it troubles me that the program won't let me set it up in my computer.

Pros

It's nice when it works but it doesn't work on all my computers.

Cons

Getting it set up for a shared company is next to impossible. I've been working with support for three months now trying to get this to work. It still doesn't work.

Bench

Reasons for Choosing Sage 50cloud Accounting

Quickbooks took funds out of my bank accounts against my wishes.

Price and value
Bonnie
  • Used for 2+ years

Software backup headache

Reviewed on 29/01/2020

Causes anxiety attacks. I have more negative things to say then I do positive. If you buy the program and upgrade and then downgrade expect to have some sleepless nights.

Pros

The software is fairly user friendly as far as reports and posting goes.

Cons

Every year you have to pay to upgrade to file and if you don't upgrade in the same version. YOU CANNOT open your back up files. Sage does not want to help they want your money. I have paid them thousands of dollars over the past 15 years and now I don't want to use the same expensive software but have downgraded to a affordable version for my little business. The computer I had the version that I could open my old files on crashed during a Microsoft update. Even though I have the backups I phoned sage to see how I could get the software back to open my backups and they told me I have to pay the fee to upgrade. I do use QBO online and much prefer this program and the people their are understanding.

Maureen
  • Industry: Accounting

Sage 50cloud Accounting provides for an accurate and customizable accounting solution

Reviewed on 16/08/2023

My overall experience of Sage 50cloud Accounting has been positive. To me this software is easy to get into for someone with an accounting background. A lot of the features are intuitive, making the software easy for me to navigate. For small an medium businesses I find this to be an ideal software, that does not overcomplicate accounting processes, and is quite fairly priced.

Pros

As a user of Sage 50cloud Accounting, where I capture and process accounting information of behalf of my client's business, I do appreciate that there are built in compliance controls that ensure common human errors are prevented. In addition, this software does allow for some customization, such as adding logo or unique design to the invoices.

Cons

I do not have any complaints of Sage 50cloud Accounting as an accounting software.

Very difficult and clunky software to use

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

We've used Sage 50 Accounting for over 20 years, however, the quality of the software has gone downhill. every new iteration leaves more to be desired; I called the customer support once to provide feedback but even that they can't do well.

Pros

Sage 50 is adequate for a profesisonal accountant; however, it's not for everyone. It does financial statements and bank reconciliation as well as inventory and payroll.

Cons

The software is not very intuitive; the interface is very clunky; window refreshes are slow to stalling; the setup for using it on a network is poor and not up to date (as of 2017, cannot use Sage 50 Accounting on Distributed File Servers).

Heidi
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Easy to use, nice reports; troubleshooting and updates can be a pain

Reviewed on 25/05/2018

I used this software for really basic accounting functions and used a separate CRM and ERP software that I just journaled information from into Sage. It was great for that and for the everyday AP, payroll and GL. Overall I really liked it and it gave me few problems. The issue was that when there was a problem, it was really time-consuming to fix and I often had to bring in outside tech support when Sage couldn't solve the problem, so it cost a lot of extra time and money a few times a year.

Pros

I loved this program in that it seemed to be made for accountants, unlike some software that seems to be made for non-accountants. There are a lot of great reports to choose from, and each can be easily formatted to whatever file type you need. The payroll is awesome and easy to use.

Cons

Updates can sometimes cost you functionality, which can be a real problem if you are in the middle of payroll. Payroll information is only available for the current and previous calendar years, which is tough when you are undergoing an audit or due diligence. Some reports have limited time range parameters, so if you have a fiscal year that doesn't fit into those parameters, it can be annoying to run more than one report and combine the information. Also, there was one formula in the tax functions that didn't provide the correct number for some states, you had to enter it manually, which made us provide incorrect information and pay penalties because of it. I tried to do a data transfer from one company in sage to another, and several files were corrupted and didn't make it over. At one point, I needed to have two companies open at once, and the windows did not title which company was which. I literally had to go into the the menu drop down to figure out which company was which. They looked identical, so it was a real pain.

Caroline
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Reviewed on 23/05/2023

I have used Sage for a long number of years and would have no plans on that changing any time soon. I have always had a great experience anytime I needed helped either with a Customer Service Advisor or through the webinars. I have a sense of security in knowing that no matter what I can get help quickly if required.

Pros

Sage 50cloud Accounting is critical to our Company. We selected Sage because of how easy it was to navigate through the site, the reports we could get from it, having the Customer Service Support and having the Webinars to all fall back on if required. I have availed of quite a few of these and they have been so beneficial to me. Having the telephone support is also advantageous and the security of knowing the customer service consultant will stay on the phone with you until your query is resolved.

Cons

The thing I like least about Sage is probably Report Designer. This I think is partially my own fault as I need to maybe learn more about the intricacies of it. A webinar is probably in my near future for this.

Gabe
  • Industry: Food Production

Total garbage!

Reviewed on 27/02/2023

Absolute garbage!

Absolute garbage!

Pros

Loved it years ago when it was simpler to use, was less bloated, and customer service was awesome. It no longer is.

Cons

Problems arise, and the tech departments have NO CLUE how to fix the program. My list of issues goes on and on, after talking repeatedly with their tech team. They're a complete waste of time! First, it takes HOURS to get a hold of anyone to get on the line, and/or to call back. And when they do, if things need to be escalated, well GOOD LUCK with that! You'll be lucky if they call you back in a day or two! In the meantime, your program is jacked! We're paying for cloud backup. It worked fine until we installed one of their upgrades. Now it no longer works. Want to know why? Yeah, we'd like to know why, too! Their tech team was UNABLE to figure it out! Can't update any of my user security settings. Just NONE. They're all grayed out. Why? Well, your guess is as good as their tech team, because they don't know why either! Done. I just instructed my accounting team to backup all they can, and we're moving over to Quickbooks. They can't possibly be as pathetic as Sage 50 / Peachtree!!

Iain
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Tried and tested product with 1 foot in the cloud

Reviewed on 11/10/2021

Used for 15+ years with minimal issues. Support were always great when needed. We 'outgrew' it not in terms of number of users or quantity of data but the ability to join up more business processes and to work in a more modern cloud-based way

Pros

Accountants are very familiar with this - almost an industry standard.
Core accountancy functions are strong

Cons

Some aspects are hard for non-accountants to understand the terminology. Cloud implementation is only partial, Its a dektop product with uploads and synchronisation to other computers via cloud. We suffered several disconnects and issues that needed the remote stations to be re synced losing work. Some of the more peripheral aspects (Sales orders, purchase orders, stock management) had some limitations and there were several places where it was easy to accidentally mark every quote in the system as won if you did not have anything selected. No link to cloud payroll from sage - needed the much more expensive desktop software or manually enter payroll data into Line 50 every month

Randy

Sage 50 'Quantum' Canadian is very stable but limited. No significant new features for last 4...

Reviewed on 12/06/2015

Pros:

Pros:
- Sage 50 Canadian is very stable, any 'crash' is almost always a hardware or operating system issue.
- Vendor technical support is prompt and helpful.
- Uses a solid 'Enterprise-grade' back end database.
- ODBC is free, and included.
- Free SDK is available.

Cons:
- Response to bugs is to provide work-arounds
- No significant new features since 2011.
- Screen designs are stuck on 1988. Data entry fonts are unusably tiny on modern monitors, and can't be adjusted.
- Features and prior bundled software has been removed, no longer supported, or flat out disabled:
. web store integration,
. Crystal Reports,
. ACT! CRM integration
. Simply HR Manager
- Numerous limitations in the 'Quantum' version to prevent use by all but the smallest companies:
. no transaction reports show purchase order numbers,
. ship-to addresses are limited to 99,
. multiple vendor shipping addresses are not supported at all
. if using multiple 'locations', inventory reports are wrong due to wrong beginning onhand.
. Multiple shipments to / from a single invoice are not supported.
. No way to report on Purchase Order vs invoice purchase amounts or pricing.
. No reports

- Designed for Accountants, not for business operations.
. 'Job Tracking' will record what you put in, but not tell you what to bill out.
. Year end process is unnecessarily convoluted and cumbersome for the business.
. Inventory 'available' isn't displayed during invoicing, only 'On Hand'.
. Only 2 years of sales statistics are tracked - current and prior year. Since current is always opened before the prior year is completed, there is never any point in time where a comparative report is of any use.
. Canned reports are inadequate and can't be customized.
- Time Tracking to Invoicing only works if you never have separate jobs for a single client - and who wouldn't?
- Inventory statistics are broken - Quantities are correct, but adjustments rack up the statistics on number of transactions (one sale, adjusted two times will show as 5 transactions)
- Virtually all inventory, sales, and purchase detail reports show all adjusted and reversed transactions, but don't output any indicator that they are just dead, junk data.
- Few third party software integrations
- Other Sage software does not work with it AT ALL. (Asset tracking, Time & Billing, CRM)

Ishrat

Using Sage 50 to suit your business

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

As the business i use Sage50 Accounts professional for uses departments to analyze the income and expenditure I found Sage has definitely help with the production of the require analytical reports. The processing of invoices and receipts is so much easier to manage and process.

Pros

I have been using Sage for over 25 years and have seen the improvements in the software. I would recommend this product for business finance management. I have always been able to produce all the required reports using the functions Sage have made available. The product is good for SME's. Can be used anywhere when on the cloud. Easy for your accountant to log in to complete your year end.

Cons

Department features could be improved, I feel the reports are limited. Reports as in the nominal codes tab would be beneficial.

Jean Philippe

A Frustrating Experience with Sales Malpractice: A Warning to Consumers

Reviewed on 1/06/2023

My experience with Sage has been extremely disturbing. My company had used their most basic product for a couple years. This product had no recurring fee.A year ago, I discovered an unauthorized charge of nearly $1,000 on my credit card from Sage for a new product that we never ordered. Contacting their customer service immediately, I hoped for a prompt resolution. However, what followed were empty promises, apologies, and a lack of progress, leaving me utterly frustrated.Numerous calls and efforts to escalate the issue proved fruitless. The sales agent responsible for the mistake, [sensitive content hidden], assured me of a swift resolution, but these assurances never materialized, exacerbating the situation further.My experience serves as a broader indictment of their integrity and commitment to customer satisfaction.

Pros

I never had the chance to use this product myself. My review touches on customer service.

Cons

Their sales agents are charging for products that were never ordered and their customer service is completely clueless and are incapable of escalating the issue the proper level.

Karen
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

A very happy customer

Reviewed on 29/03/2023

Our overall experience with Sage50 Cloud Accounting is very good. We have been using this software for many years and have never considered changing to an alternative. The software meets our companies needs and we are a happy customer.

Pros

The product is very easy and straightforward to use and meets all our business needs.

Cons

The overall visual look of the software changed several years ago, with the headers etc. changed to a basic grey colour. I personally found this extremely difficult on my eyes, especially when working on the software for several hours a day. This was definitely not an improvement in my opinion.

Kenatu
  • Used for 2+ years

My Best Friend

Reviewed on 19/01/2018

For all of us who stuck with Peach Tree from back in the day, our time has come. I simply love this application. Its my best friend. As a small business owner I can tell you the ability to have my accounts at my fingertips while I am on the go blows my mind. I am tickled pink. I have to pinch myself. I am able to see my inventory, check prices and stock and give clients discounts and assurances that I can reliably trust in real time. The subscription cost is almost nominal for the value it gives me.

Pros

Access to my Accounts in real time on my mobile device.
Easy to use and covers all that I need for a small business owner who is the the head cook and bottle washer.
I can process payments and check on outstanding receivables while on the go. check stock and see sales.
the reports are exactly what I need to know to make informed decisions
I can communicate with my customers and suppliers with built in correspondent templates.
based on the information at my finger tips I can have a better relationship with my supply chain and customers.
requires very little setup.

Cons

I am sure that I will think of one in the future but for now I am at a loss. the speed could be better when searching a large record set, buts thats on me and my resources.

Rosie

Very poor customer service no support for issues which affect the business

Reviewed on 11/03/2023

we have a number of companies and the customer support for issues is very poor i am told have to wait 2 days to get access for the software i am paying for so i have to stop my business for two days so sage can help me get access the online help chats just keeps going in circle's

Pros

unable to comment as 9 out 10 times does not work

Cons

if we are paying for a service we should not wait day to access the sevice

Worst experience ever

Reviewed on 9/07/2020

I had one call and because the tech rep could not stay on the phone while I did as he asked, he did up a ticket...which he immediately closed. When I called back in they could not / would not reopen that ticket. I got pushed to sales and they would not give me back my one support call. That rep said I could speak with a supervisor, then pushed me back to tech. When I called in, someone took my name for the supervisor to call me back, and that never happened. This is the worst customer service I have seen in years. Meanwhile my newly purchased upgrade, is not doing what it is supposed to. Thanks for nothing Sage!

Pros

Fine once you get used to it; it is not as user friendly as Quickbooks

Cons

Functionality between computers has been a problem and tech did not help; read below

Faith
  • Industry: Accounting

How brilliant Sage Software is.

Reviewed on 17/08/2023

Accuracy, and speed beneficial to the business.

Accuracy, and speed beneficial to the business.

Pros

I love bank feeds and the reconciliation is done for you and you just have to finalise. No usual ticking one by one which is time consuming. I can also use projects and departments for my clients dealing with various projects. Having features that cut down on time is such a great integration with our business as you can work on many clients which enables you grow the business.

Cons

The only lease aspect is not being able to amend a few items especially if you have used bank feeds, you have to un reconcile then unclear items delete and amend. This is then time consuming and perhaps sage can improve on that.

Jaime
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Not user friendly

Reviewed on 21/06/2021

Since implementing the cloud service it is easier to retrieve information away from the office. It does take a while to upload and it is not easily trainable. I wouldn't recommend it, especially for companies with many years worth of data.

Pros

We do like that it makes vendor and contractor management easy. We are able to pull data to review past pay history easily and pull these items into a report rather quickly as well.

Cons

It is not user friendly and not easy to train someone. There are many reports to pull but you have to know exactly which boxes to select and missing one can throw off the entire report. It does not read easily.

Alden
  • Industry: Information Services

Business practices

Reviewed on 30/03/2023

Sage 50 has performed inconsistently for the past year. We migrated from the desktop version. We intermittently required their support to reestablish connection to our network. Today they refused to assist unless we upgraded our support at 2X the cost. Sketchy business practices.

Pros

History data is valuable for review of trends

Cons

Business practices are unprofessional at best.

Amanda

Day to Day Use of Sage

Reviewed on 10/03/2023

Sage is allowing us to produce up to date cash flow forecasts enabling us to better manage the business.

Pros

The desktop is easy to navigate. The personalisation of invoices and reports allows you to put your own stamp on the produc.

Cons

Sage has a tendenc=y to get 'clogged' up at times and can freeze which irritating.