FreeAgent

FreeAgent has been voted the UK's #1 accounting software app

4.4 /5 (121 reviews) Write a Review!
4.4
4.2
4.2
4.3
4.4
Flavio A.
Industry: Design

Great accounting software for freelancers and small teams

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Having researched a number of different options while freelancing, FreeAgent was hands down the best one for a solo practitioner, with enough features to solve all my accounting needs.

Pros

Perfect for freelancers and small teams, FreeAgent includes all the aspects needed to control accounts, create / send invoices and keep an eye on projects. Highly recommended for any solo practitioners.

Cons

If you plan to grow and scale your team, it can be a bit limiting, however it is still a great tool for smaller teams and individuals.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Flavio,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it!

Sarah H.

Love it

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 8/02/2018

Pros

Exceptionally easy to use and easy to learn. I keep the tab open every day. It's easy to "undo" if you make a mistake in an invoice. There's basically nothing that can't be undone by reverting to draft. The recurring invoices tool is really helpful. I don't use the feature where it'll email invoices/reminders. I prefer to do that myself and it's really easy — nothing to really keep track of since I invoice all clients on the same day each month. They make it easy to label bank transactions so as long as I remember to do that once a month or so, all my accounting reports are always current. I don't have to spend too much time on accounting and I don't really have any complaints. The customer service is always fantastic.

Cons

I wish the time tracking feature were just a little slicker. I use Toggl for time tracking, and then I import hours for each client each month. Not a big deal, but one of those little things that would put it over the top.

Greg J.
Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Great for Freelancers

Reviewed on 25/09/2018

Pros

FreeAgents offers a lot of features for a very low price and the customer service is good also. I have used them for 3 years and there are other programs that may be a little better, but they are also a lot more expensive.

Cons

I wish that recurring billing was a little easier and the number of integrations is good, but it does not integrate with one of my core programs which is a bummer.

Jonathan B.
Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

FreeAgent - Great and Gets Better

Reviewed on 12/02/2018

Pros

FreeAgent is a fantastic product. I have only needed to use support a couple of times and they were more unusual questions.

As a freelancer, keeping an eye on income and expenditure, billing and chasing invoices and recording expenses with my phone is really important. Add to that the easy submission of my tax return and it really is a great piece of software.

Cons

I am a little disappointed that I could not receive any of the discounts offered to new customers. (e.g. 6 months half price).

Industry: Information Services

Reviewed lots of options made the decision to go with FreeAgent and never looked back, great product

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

Peace of mind, credible management information, easy ways of doing my quotations and billing, streamlined data capture of receipts and mileage, reduced my back office admin costs and made our lives easier

Pros

Easy to use, intuitive, provides high quality information about the state of play of my business and my ongoing liabilities for tax and keeps easy track of who owes us money and how to send reminders. Quotation system works well, bank integration excellent and shared access for my back office book keepers means a lot less hassle. Love the App for capturing expenses and mileage

Cons

Worry about their inability to let me download copies of all scanned images I have added. I really cannot find anything else to say

Joanne A.
Industry: Writing & Editing

I'd be lost without it!

Reviewed on 5/09/2019

Pros

I've been using FreeAgent for approximately 5 years, I think, and I would be lost without it. The app is really user-friendly, and I love how easy it is to submit my accounts to HMRC at the end of the year. On the few occasions that I've needed assistance, I've had an almost immediate response with helpful information. Highly recommended.

Cons

It felt a little expensive at first as a solo trader, but I think it proved its worth in ease of use so quickly this isn't really a con. Plus they have a great affiliate scheme so you can bring the overall cost down by recommending others.

Excellent all-in-one package to manage my business

Reviewed on 9/02/2018

Pros

Very easy to use and gives valuable, easy to read information on status of the business.
Easy to set up and monitor invoices and add information.
Excellent automatic calculation of tax liabilities and ability to file through interface.

Cons

The bank feed for importing HSBC bank transactions is terrible and takes an age to import transactions which is disappointing with todays technology. From the forums this appears to be a longstanding issue that should have been fixed by now but isn't and unsure if it will be.
Self-assessment should be updated to include ability to add capital gains and property income.

Keeps me organised.

Reviewed on 8/02/2018

Pros

FreeAgent is great for tracking projects from quote to invoice to payment. It makes the daunting task of tax a breeze too.

Cons

There are always a few user specific scenarios that aren't catered for (usually there is a work around). Can't think of any for me though.

Barry P.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Excellent software for my business

Reviewed on 8/02/2018

Pros

I run a limited liability partnership and FreeAgent gives me the ability to control the accounts without having to involve accountants. Everything is so easy from generating the accounts for Companies House, managing my travel expenses, time tracking and billing, and sorting out VAT and self assessment returns. The best accounting software I've yet discovered for a freelancer business. It has all of our needs covered.

Cons

I had some initial issues but that was mainly because I didn't know what I was doing. A bit of browsing round the help pages soon sorted that out.

Bryan O.
Industry: Management Consulting

Great for keeping things organised

Reviewed on 27/08/2015

I've been using FreeAgent since 2011 and its really helped to keep my business in control. Tracking of finances, bills, invoices as well as time and expenses is straightforward, and most importantly keeps my accountant happy at year-end!

Excellent customer support

Cons

Doesn't handle subcontractors as a distinct category of user. We have associates who book time and expenses which are billed to clients. We have to set them up as employees and then work around VAT, etc. to make sure we charge customers right amounts and pay contractors accordingly.

Great when everything is simple and goes smoothly, difficult to customise or correct

Reviewed on 9/02/2018

Pros

the mobile app is great for tracking time or updating expenses while on the road
Like the time reporting features to report by contact or project
Tax Timeline also really helpful for getting a quick understand of what's owed

Cons

It's difficult to make corrections on invoices, especially if an expense or time item is labeled wrong, requires deleting/creating a new invoice rather than being able to unlock the items associated with it and fix them.
Layout options for invoices are very limiting unless you create your own CSS file.
Can't change account type without contacting admin - ie I mistakenly set up as a sole trader instead of private ltd company and says I have to contact customer service to change it.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Tracey D.
Industry: Oil & Energy

We love this product!

Reviewed on 17/05/2019

Accounting, invoices, timesheets, banking - all greatly improved. I'm not a "numbers" person, but even I can manage this. Takes a lot of the stress out of everyday tasks.

Pros

Makes accounting for our small but complex company simple and easy to understand. It's clear, with lots of support, and has taken over from the spreadsheets/Sage/panic that used to be our system.

Cons

No cons - it really does solve all our accounting and administration issues

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Tracey,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it!

Wilford C.
Industry: Computer Hardware

Wilford

Reviewed on 30/10/2018

Pros

It has a customizable visual interface that makes working with this program great. The projects section also has some great reporting functions.

Cons

The recurring billing is a little bit difficult to get to grips with but once you understand it, there are no issues.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Wilford,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it.

Bryan P.

Reviewed on 11/02/2018

Nicola R.

collates all my financhial admin

Reviewed on 8/02/2018

Pros

ongoing admin collation, logging of all receipts
can see future tax amount owing
invoicing directly from the system

James

Perfect tool for freelancers

Reviewed on 23/04/2012

I am an IT freelancer in the UK with almost no bookkeeping skills. The application has intuitive interface and is quite easy to use. At the same time it has extensive functionality. I can do my invoicing, providing quotes, estimates, etc... I am using it with Google Apps

Pros

Google apps integration

Anna

Easy Accounting for my Services Firm

Reviewed on 7/01/2013

FreeAgent has made the management of my creative firm a little less painful. The new mobile site has really saved me a ton of time allowing me to keep up on invoices while on the road.

Gareth E.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Reviewed on 10/04/2018
Ian P.
Industry: Civic & Social Organisation

Okay but not great

Reviewed on 20/01/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Does what it's supposed to. Lots of functionality with more control than quickbooks. Reports are nice.

Cons

Bank transactions never automatically imported. Created random transactions based on categorization of others. Overall, each of its functions seem to function better independently than they integrate.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Reviewed on 20/02/2017
Ben R.
Industry: Accounting
Company size: Self Employed

Affordable accounting software; good but needs a few tweaks to be great

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

Clients who have made the transition can be viewed on one dashboard, and makes managing client records much easier.

Pros

Very easy to onboard clients; Linking bank accounts through open banking is straightforward and facility works well; Simple user interface makes it easy for novices to use; Very good customer support; Can be had for free of you use and RBS group bank account including Mettle; On the go invoicing is nice for some business as well as the expense logger

Cons

Not as flexible as some accounting packages; a few of the facilities are still a work in progress and you need to do a workaround

Victoria C.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness
Company size: Self Employed

This software makes my accounts seem a lot less scary

Reviewed on 8/08/2020

I loved how the customer service was a real person, not a bot. They have made me feel comfortable about accountancy.

Pros

For me, the general look of the overview screen makes the experience of looking at my accounts a lot less scary. I also find that the whole thing is easy to use, from reconciling my bank accounts to sending out invoices. Plus they actually sort your taxes out (this might only be in the UK though)!

Cons

I am probably not using as much of the software as I could. (e.g. payroll and time tracking) but I'm just proud that they've convinced me how simple and professional it is to use them for invoicing.

Olajumoke O.
Industry: Utilities

My Accounting friend

Reviewed on 7/05/2019

Pros

I use freeagent everyday for my business and it's like the best so far. Helps to generate invoices and estimates for client, it gives an overview of your account in the first page which you can easily see at first glance. I recommend freeagent anyday anytime.

Cons

Freeagent generates number for each of the invoice or estimates which can be confusing sometimes especially if you have to delete that invoice or estimates but nevertheless it's a stress free software, it does all the work.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Olajumoke!

Thank you for being a FreeAgent user and for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate the kind words!