Canvas LMS Reviews

Learning Management System for Schools, Colleges and Universities

4.4/5 (1326 reviews)

A Fantastic Platform for Team/Class Oriented Organization

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Canvas has been a great platform in my career as a student and as an employee. From being able to take quizzes directly on the platform, to getting involved in very thoughtful discussions, Canvas has been something that has facilitated my learning experiences, inside the classroom and in the office. The digitalization of coursework, readings, and writings, has made a positive impact on the environment, and also allows its users to take their work with them wherever they go- as everything is accessible via the mobile app, or through the website on their laptop. This has made the experience absolutely positive for me and those who I have studied and worked with over the years.

Pros

Canvas is a software that I have been using for multiple years now, having used it originally in school, and now in college at Georgetown University while also making use of the software's organizational benefits as an Intern at EY. There are a few aspects of this program that stand out to me as being significantly beneficial. Firstly, Canvas, as a platform, is used for connecting users in an organization (class, work project, team, etc.) under one platform. The administrator (boss, professor, team leader) can then publish documents, quizzes, links, and other files so that its users can all view them, without the need for the administrator to send these files to each user individually. Perhaps the largest pro of a software like Canvas is that, on the same platform where files are published and shared with others, users can also engage in blog posts, discussions, Zoom conferences, and more features; all of which allow them to communicate with and learn from each other while also becoming familiar with any material posted by their boss, team leader, or professor. This synergy is what makes canvas special and unique; it is a one-stop-shop for individuals in an organization to parttake in multiple means of learning, all in the same location.

Cons

Despite being a phenomenal software platform, perhaps one of its downfalls is that, when using CANVAS in school or in college, the dashboard can get relatively messy. When enrolled in many different classes across different semesters, older classes tend to stay on your dashboard and this can make it difficult to keep your new classes a priority at first glance. While this is easy to edit in your Canvas settings, I personally believe this should be something that the user can edit from the homepage. In addition, it would be a large plus to the aspect of organization if users could customize the menu bar on the left side of the website, to only show the tabs they want to see for each class or project (files, modules, pages, discussions, announcements, grades, etc.)

Finally, a student portal that makes you want to learn!

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Overall, I'm highly satisfied to have a student portal that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. The developers clearly did a lot of research and user testing into finding out what features students need, as it still astounds me how complete of an experience the app is. Just about the only major issue with it is that some instructors don't make the most out of its functionality, but that's not really an issue with Canvas itself.

Pros

As a student who used to use Blackboard, I immediately saw Canvas' UI and overall look-and-feel as a huge upgrade. I like that it's based on modern UI design patterns, with features like the sidebar and the single flush column of content. It makes the web app inviting and fun to use for young students like me who are on their phone for most of the day.

One relatively minor feature that I greatly appreciate is the in-app PDF previewer, which saves me from wasting time having to download the file or opening it in a new tab and cluttering my workspace. Just this feature alone was enough to show me that Canvas' developers really had the end-user in mind.

One last big net positive I want to mention is the integration with the mobile app. It's great! Notifications show up on time and don't duplicate or perform other wonky stuff. Having a seamless experience between desktop and mobile goes a long towards making students like feel in control of their learning.

Cons

While there's a lot to like about the UI, I do have some minor grievances with it in a few places. The one thing that really stands out is how some blue links are clickable but don't actually do anything. For example, discussion threads have a clickable subtitle that shows which Lecture Section they're intended for. If it's for "All Sections", then clicking on it does absolutely nothing. I know this is a minor nitpick, but you would not believe how many times I've ended up accidentally clicking on that link intending to go the discussion board.

Magali S.

Learn and teach comfortably with Canvas

Reviewed on 6/03/2019

You can start using this platform for your academic purposes with confidence. In spite of all the above-mentioned disadvantages, generally, the platform works without any serious problem. I’m confident that students who prefer distant learning and the teachers who like online teaching will really appreciate Canvas LMS.

Pros

The platform is very easy and flexible to navigate so, you can be sure that you’ll never be lost while searching for the material you need. Besides, you can add text, upload pictures and videos without difficulty. In addition to this if you know how to work with HTML code you can have the design you like. The next thing that I like about Canvas is that you can communicate with your teacher and fellow students easily. You can send an email to your teacher or start a chat with your classmates. Canvas is used by educational institutions for two purposes: either for creating courses that are taught exceptionally online or for blending the traditional way of teaching with online one. This platform is especially useful for students who always need to find all the material on their course online, including the textbooks, lectures, homework, individual works and of course, their grades and attendance. Canvas makes collaboration between teachers and students more effective and fruitful.

Cons

It is fascinating to know that the Canvas app is available on mobile devices. However, the app needs some improvements because some features are still not available there and notifications sometimes don’t pop up.
The platform successfully cooperates and works with third-party vendors. However, I should mention that some programs do not work well and obviously they need to get improvements.
And finally, there sometimes some glitches may occur but I wish the platform could work more smoothly.

Site is satisfactory, app needs work

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Pros

I've been a full-time student for the past 10 years and all the institutions that I've been attending have used canvas to post grades and make announcements. I have never had any complaints about the online website. It is easy to customize the main page to see exactly which courses you are in and it gives you the ability to arrange them in the order that you see fit, with your most important classes place in the more visible areas of the website. On the right side of the page there is an announcement bar where updates from your professors are easily seen and any new grades that have been posted are showing as well. Canvas also gives the professors the ability to organize students into groups for certain projects and also too give quizzes and tests. Professors also can upload PowerPoints, handouts, and other sources of material, which are easily downloaded through the website which automatically packs all the files, if multiple, into a zip file for your convenience. Overall, I've had a good experience with canvas and I would recommend it to institutions that are looking for a reliable, convenient way to communicate to students and facilitate courses online.

Cons

I don't really have any negative things to say about the software itself. The only issues that I have had are with the app, which I have used both on Android and Apple devices. When clicking on pop-up notifications for new grades being posted or sometimes other announcements, the app opens but it does not take you to the desired notification. When faced with a blank screen, you need to restart the app and manually go to where the notification was trying to direct you.

Joshua C.

A Revolutionary Aid to Learning

Reviewed on 8/01/2019

Pros

I have used canvas at both my previous college and my current one which I transferred to, for both classes which were taken entirely on the platform (online classes) and classes where it was used as an aid. The ability to see an up to date schedule for your classes, contact instructors, revisit old modules, submit assignments online, view and respond to instructor feedback... It's completely changed the game. It's become an intrinsic part of my routine to check canvas everyday. You can also customize what alerts you want to see, so if your instructor gives you feedback or sends an alert out you can get an email straight away.

The app is also fantastic and very convenient!

If you're an instructor and you don't use canvas, I worry that I won't be able to see important changes in time. Plus, feedback is relegated to the old fashioned, penciled in way of the early 2000s. We're better than that now, in no small part due to Canvas, which has genuinely revolutionized the medium learning takes.

Cons

There was one brief time this year where they pushed an update that made it so one of my instructors would see some error message when they clicked on my file submission, even though they were able to successfully download the file. They patched that quickly!

Overall, it turns of lasting cons, canvas has tried very hard to become irreplaceable, and they've succeeded. My only problem is when instructors aren't tech oriented, and so don't understand how to set up a course shell, but that's not canvas' fault.

Has its limits, but still the best out there

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 11/10/2018

There is a paid version that you can do too. It's very expensive, and we found it still didn't quite meet our needs. For universities it probably would do the trick, but if you're a small education program, stick with Free for Teacher. Even with its little hassles, Canvas is still the best online classroom you can find out there.

Pros

We use the Free for Teacher edition. When it comes to setting up courses, having assignments, files, students, deadlines, and grades set up, it's pretty simple. Not a lot of trouble getting things put together. You can integrate videos, there's a conference capability called Big Blue Button that allows all the members of the course to video in with each other and you can share screen and everything. It has been a big help allowing our students to have a portal to do their assignments, and connect with everyone in the class.

Cons

One of the nuances to Canvas that is difficult is limiting what teachers can see. By that I mean we have two different types of courses that we run.

One is an individual cohort of a few students and a director. The only way to make these closed down to just these members is to create a duplicate of the course and put those members in. Not a terrible thing, but then the courses start to stack up with all the different cohorts you have going. Plus, there's not really a way to have any updates filter down into all the same semester courses. So if we want to make an update on Semester 1, we have to go into each individual course and update it. There's also no way to update deadlines when you copy a course. So I have to change every assignment's due date so it fits in the new semester's timeline.

The other kind of course that we have is an open course that anyone can jump into, and then we assign a TA to grade certain students. The problem with this is that there's no way to limit the TA's view of who is in the course. So it shows them that there are dozens of students' work that needs to be graded in their To-Do List and makes it difficult for them to know when their assigned students have actually submitted anything. Haven't been able to find a work around for this yet.

Brittany P.

This software has been a great tool that helped me throughout my college career.

Reviewed on 19/04/2018

I was able to be more organized with my work for school. I am a forgetful person but with the reminders on the side of canvas, it helped me to complete the forgotten assignments. Another benefit was that I learn to time manage my work by seeing the work load I have that for that week. In addition, it also helped me to learn to plan ahead.

Pros

Canvas is a great organizing tool. Some pros include the following: a calendar with due dates, to-do list, easy to use, tabs that is very easy to locate, the what if feature, easy to communicate with teachers, pleasing to the eye, has a mobile app, coming up assignment features, viewing files without downloading them, break down of your grade, and very simple. With this system, I did not have the need to buy a planner to write down all my assignments.

Cons

There is not too much I dislike about the system. Though the system is very organized, if the instructor does not put the files in an organized manner it can be hard to seek the desired files. In addition, there are some times where canvas can be very difficult to use as you have to click different features to get to the desired file. In addition, for the discussion page, it would be super helpful if the reply comments could be in a file with the original comment of the discussion board. In one class, we have weekly discussions and the students of that subjects has to write a powerpoint to explain a character that defines it and the student who did not create that has to write comments for it. At first it was not much but later became very hard to locate the different power point comments due to the immense amount of reply comments.

It's ease of use, mobile experience, and ease of administration outweigh the features it lacks.

Reviewed on 25/11/2017

We are able to get detailed analytics on use not only from our students but from our instructors. We are able to build customizations utilizing the API.
We are now in a hosted solution with a beta server, test server and production server that is maintained and updated every week or 3 weeks depending on the server.

Pros

Canvas from an administrator side is incredibly easy to work with. Installing addons takes just seconds in comparison to the fear I experienced in installing anything in Blackboard, and the confusion I experienced trying to set anything up in D2L.
One of the deciding factors in moving forward with Canvas was ease of use for our faculty and students. If Canvas was not easy to use our transition would have been near impossible.
It's mobile app is excellent for students and they are in the middle of improving their faculty mobile app now.
They have an incredible Community that has asked most of the questions you have and someone has provided the answer you're looking for. There are also folks that create customizations and share those with everyone to help improve your workflows. They also let you in on the development process and share with your their progress and let you beta test things for them.
I love having a beta server, test server and production server to work with that is always up to date.
Lots to love about Canvas.

Cons

There are some features that are lacking from Canvas that we are attempting to work around or build customizations for.
1. Set Discussion boards to need grading after x number of posts. Right now it says it needs to be graded after the first post and will not notify the instructor once they have submitted the required amount of posts. This isn't as big of an issue when there are due dates but a majority of our courses do not have due dates.
2. It's Outcomes capabilities are lacking. They have plans to improve on this but it may be awhile.
3. They are releasing a new quizzing tool in 2018 which we are excited for but are worried about how we will need to go about migrating quizzes.

College course management program for students, faculty, and staff

Reviewed on 2/01/2019

Pros

After my university switched over to Canvas as the preferred course management software, I was happy to finally have a user-friendly interface to work with. The menu is not cluttered and all tabs and icons are easy to find. One of the main advantages of Canvas is the ability to easily sync a school email account and get live notifications when items and assignments are posted.

Professors can also setup calendars that help remind students of exam, project, and homework due dates. Students can also setup discussions or threads within their respective courses, which is useful when a lot of students have a similar question. Saves the professor time from having to answer 50 emails about the same question.

Cons

The notification system, both as a student and professor, is not the most efficient system. Canvas is meant to have a built-in emailing program. This creates a lot of confusion when students send messages via Canvas (which is linked to a school email account) and separately send messages directly from their school email. I've encountered times where it was not clear how to send a message directly to particular member of the course, and ended up emailing the entire class by accident.

Professors often alternate between general email notifications and "Dashboard" notifications within Canvas. It makes it confusing for students as to where exactly to look for course related information. I find this lack of streamlining for notifications to be the biggest drawback.

6.0/10
Eduardo P.

Canvas Review

Reviewed on 9/08/2019

Overall, using Canvas both as a user and as a tester within a development environment has been a pleasure. I would recommend any educational institutions or organizations that aren't using it to make the switch. It is a great tool.

Pros

This software is great for keeping courses all in one place and adds easy communication between instructors and students. As well as communication between students themselves is easy and straightforward. Being able to have quizes, assignments, and anything else from the course on Canvas makes it neat and organized. Also, the customization within the app makes it great for unique use cases.

Cons

Recently I was having an issue with a footer banner when testing in "student view". The banner sits on top of some of the navigation buttons from the left side and therefore hides them. I used to be able to double click on it to hide the banner, but a recent update makes it so that additional steps have to be taken to hide this banner. It has made it inconvenient to click on the button that I need to access from the navigation bar.

Mavares P.

The 21st century requires interacting, learning and living the virtuality

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 12/06/2018

To reduce the distances between the participants and expand the possibilities and technological literacy of all.

Pros

The teaching of the 21st century requires a change in models and approach to learning. The change allows to reeplantear not only the contents of the subjects, moreover, the tools with which the teacher will have to share their experiences. It is very valuable to have a virtual space in which you can group: Class documents, videos, conferences, guides, questionnaires, tests, texts, messaging, links, e-mail, all online. The teacher, in this platform, also has the ability to qualify the different assignments and even make various qualifications in real time. The interaction can also include the representatives, who can also access, if they wish, the platform.
Through the "Collaborations", participants can work as a team their classroom projects, through group editing programs, which can be sent directly to Canvas. The personalization, organization and structure of the modules is very helpful for the participants to experience the different advantages of virtual training.

Cons

The platforms have generalized their use in such a way that it is easy to find them in different stages and school courses, as well as in undergraduate and postgraduate university studies. In the same way, the age of the instructors and of the participants varies considerably. When users are not able to interact with each other easily and quickly, they lose interest, not only for the course, but also for the platform, which translates into a considerable loss of effectiveness and impact of the same.
It would be fantastic if the teachers could have a cheaper version of the platform, but not be "tied" to large organizations, schools and universities, a kind of "private" virtual classroom that is managed and set almost entirely by the teacher, who will only have to enter his participants, in different classrooms, at the same time, and with an accessible cost.

Burcu K.

Canvas - more pliable than you think

Reviewed on 26/02/2019

If administrators would like to get the most out of Canvas they have to "think outside the box"; otherwise it can get quite dull and tiresome for their users. Overall I think it is a good software which has a lot of potential.

A simple Google search revealed that many administrators like myself looked for similar additional features/options on various forums online; so I wish that the above mentioned options -and many more-could actually be integrated into Canvas by the creators for ease of use for the consumers.

Pros

People may define Canvas as "clunky" and "not very intuitive". I would agree that you need to "learn" how Canvas works, rather than quickly "figuring it out".

I personally use Canvas not for a specific "Unit of Study" but as a platform to share information & news, and communicate with among a large group of students who do not get together in a classroom. So far it has been successful. Students seem to enjoy it and I can view usage stats to see how many pages have been viewed by which student, which is great information.

The fact that it accepts HTML code made it possible for me to integrate photo slideshows and 3-d interactive photos onto my pages. I used other free software available online to create them and simply embedded into my HTML code. I do not think most users are aware of these possibilities.

Cons

Canvas has its own language which does not apply to all needs. "Pages" and "Modules", "Unit of Study" lose their meaning when Canvas is used as communication platform like I use it. I wish these "names" could be changed by the user.

Another thing that most users find a bit frustrating is the way "Modules" are displayed on one page as a list; and the constant need to scroll down to find what the user is looking for. Since this page does not really lend itself to "zjeujing up", it may look tedious for users.

Debra W.

Canvas User

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Overall wonderful product! I will be upgrading to the pro/paid version very soon myself.

Pros

I have my own business in addition to a full-time Revenue Cycle Manager position with a large company. I am very happy to have discovered Canvas. I started out with what can be done for free online, having not a lot of money to spend as a start up.

I could not have been more pleased! They have so many templates and specifics that you can create. From business cards to posters to flyers. They have great options within the free (something that you do not always see) for font types and size and colors to choose from.

Cons

The one thing that I had trouble with, to this day is how to create without a template. For example, If I want a plain background and add simple text. You cannot do it (that I have seen) without using something that doesn't fit for what you are doing and working with it to create. For example, I would have to choose a poster or business card but tweek to what I wanted. I have seen other software, that let you start from scratch to make what you want without a defined template. It would be great if Canvas would do that too.

Shirimpaka J.

Canvas functionality evaluation

Reviewed on 27/09/2019

As I was working in the academic institution, we had to use Canvas and the only way the teacher can communicate to the student and vice versa. It is where the teachers create courses, post all courses related materials and also the students get access to the courses as well as quizzes and assignments.

Pros

I was using this tool when I was working at Kepler and I was a Canvas administrator. The way the teacher can create the course and share with the students as well as the coleague collaborators is very impressive. Also I liked the way the courses are graded and so, the students are getting their results as well as comments. I also liked the way the company may create some functionalities for itself and incorporate in canvas for better usage. It is also a good tool for students' progress management while connecting it with the external tools (Blue, etc..).

Cons

The tool itself is really good and its usage in incredible. The only weak point comes in when it requires to contact the customer support. I remember the time we had to ask about the competencies which were not upgraded themselves as it used to be, and we contacted the customer support. We had waited for some months to get responded. So, that was very discouraging for us who wanted the immediate response to move forward.

6.0/10

Canvas is the clear winner over Blackboard

Reviewed on 27/09/2019

We are now able to do gradebooks much more rapidly - in terms of initial setup, and also we can maintain records in new ways since there are multiple analytical tools available on Canvas that weren't there in Blackboard (before it was "mean, median, mode" and now we have a full range available)

Pros

Email functionality is improved, since you can send and receive for all courses you teach through a single dashboard, as opposed to Blackboard, where you have to sign in to each course separately in order to do so. Saves time, effort, and allows more freedom of use since the iPhone app is as speedy as the desktop program.

Cons

Not necessarily about the program itself, since it is the site administrators that determine what the links for each course will be, but if it is not planned well, there can be a lot of redundant links (topics linked on the left side of the page as main headers/folders).

Jason H.

Canvas - An Admin's Dream Come True

Reviewed on 3/11/2016

As the Learning Management System Admin for Utah Valley University, managing the use of Canvas can be challenging, but in a really good way. Whenever I run into a problem, I can usually find the answer and deploy a solution very quickly. Instructure provides a dedicated Customer Success Manager who meets with us regularly, a robust case management system, and an extremely helpful community engagement platform. Canvas is updated regularly to stay fresh on new technologies, features, and bug fixes. It's really fun to manage this system and have so much buy-in from faculty. Canvas is also on the leading edge with 3rd party integrations, data analytics, and cross-platform compatibility.

Pros

Canvas is always available. Teachers and students rarely suffer from any down time, if ever. Even with the regular updates of the platform (every 3 weeks), there is no significant downtime. The integration with our Student Information System is really good, but will soon be even better.

Cons

I wish Instructure would value the opinions of an institution's Canvas Admin over instructors. Instructors tend to not stay up to speed with an institution's policies, new government regulation, or plain common sense in some cases. There are a few specific tools that would make an admin's life much easier... like this feature idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7301

Jeramy C.

Stable, easy to use, and performs like a champ!

Reviewed on 21/12/2018

Canvas is the LMS used by my University. As an instructor, I have had the opportunity to use the softweare for about 5 years. I have also completed a degree in an online program using the tool. I have always found it to be very reliable; most challenges I have incountered have been user error and not often software error. There are many add ons to customize the software and it is pretty easy and straight forward in terms of user for both faculty and student.

Pros

Very stable and reliable. In 5 years of using the software, there are just a few times I can recall that there have been some downtime; and never more than a shot period. Canvas is a standard among universitites, and students are able to quickly learn how to use the tool and submit their coursework. They also have stellar support, 24/7. The challenges I have encourtered has been more in terms of o

Cons

There are some things that could be enganced in terms of features to make the tool even better. As Canvas is a large company, suggestions for new features goes to a board and the community votes and considerations are based on how much support from the community board. While a good way to reach people, I suspoect most people do not take the time to visit this board and read throyugh suggestions to make recomendations. Seems like they could get more info from user based focus groups who could lend insights on new features and enhancements.

Diego G.

The way to go in Education communication

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

The upgrade from Blackboard was definitely worth it. The platform is easy on the eyes, easy to use and overall feels modern and keeps up with how a school communication system should work. Top marks for their mobile app.

Pros

I used Blackboard for years at school and always thought it was antiquated and overall clunky. After my current school switched to Canvas, it has been a big step forward. The organization of courses is more customizable and intuitive. File uploads, messaging and the UI are all top notch and make it for a pleasant experience. Their mobile app version is also extremely handy and works just as good as the web version. I find that notifications on the mobile app are excellent and help me stay on top of everything. Their calendar and reminder system is also a life saver when you want a little extra help in getting through your coursework without procrastinating.

Cons

I haven't found anything I don't like so far about Canvas. While I haven't personally found this to be an issue, feedback from peers has made me realize if you have a large number of courses, the dashboard can get a bit overwhelming. However, this is definitely customizable.

Sean S.

A great online platform for all educational needs

Reviewed on 16/09/2019

Whenever I have used Canvas in a course with a professor who at least has a basic understanding of using computers, I have found that it is a very seamless incorporation into the class and is incredibly helpful from a student standpoint. I am always very happy when a teacher decides to really devote a lot of time to making their canvas page well-designed and makes it a necessary part of being in the class. I find that Canvas has aided my learning experience through my 5 years of an engineering degree and I'm very glad that it's been a tool that Colorado State University decided to utilize.

Pros

I have found Canvas to be incredibly helpful when it comes to managing my courses, being able to quickly look up assignments, and being able to track grades and calculate theoretical test scores to see how much time I should devote to studying. The system has been very reliable for my entire college experience and I have rarely run into any technical difficulties.

Cons

I have found that some of my professors who are not as tech-savvy have, at times, had a difficult time navigating Canvas and using it properly. This has affected me as a student because sometimes the Canvas page for a course may be almost completely empty because the professor didn't want to take the time to do it properly. This is an irritation because then I have no form of online grade checking and final grade calculations can be much less certain.

Benjamin D.

Great Software for Organizing and Collaborating in Courses and Workgroups

Reviewed on 14/10/2019

I have had a surprisingly pleasant experience with Canvas. I had halfway expected the universities software to be somewhat archaic, but Canvas has been a pleasure to use. I can find all the information that I need about my courses, upload assignments, contact people, reference back to courses I took in the past. Very good!

Pros

Canvas is quite easy to use for a program that needs to have all the functionality a university requires. The interface functions intuitively, with visual elements such as a grid of cards for the different courses I am following. I can find all the information and documents I need regarding a course, such as powerpoint files and due dates for assignments. In the groups section I can find all my fellow classmates, as well as contact my instructor. In this way, all the information a student could need regarding course content, process and people are stored in a sensible manner in one single application.

Cons

An issue that I have experienced multiple times is that it can be hard to find contact a person when they are not officially in one of your workgroups or courses. For instance, at times I had to ask something of a substitute teacher, or contact a classmate that joined the group at a later time and thus wasn't formally in the same workgroup. But because the system only allows you to contact people that you share a group with, I could not contact these people in this way, and had to find their details on the website of the university.

Canvas: College Master Software

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

I used Canvas throughout my entire college career, as my university implemented it in nearly every class curriculum. Though I was just one user in a sea of thousands, Canvas made my collegiate experience much easier, as I didn't have to slog through harsh weather or schedule rushed appointments to meet my professors—I could just check online or send them a message I knew they'd see. Would recommend for any college professor (as long as you're consistent with its use).

Pros

Canvas allows professors and students to create, upload, edit, and discuss academic assignments and projects with ease. It's almost like a social media profile—you can chat with other students and ask your professors questions, even while you're at home. You can upload assignments through the Internet and reference rubrics and the syllabus. Group projects become significantly easier, because everyone can be assigned specific roles to complete. Canvas removes the need for finding a time and place that works for everyone—just plug in a deadline and the rubric and you're good to go.

Cons

The only issue I have with Canvas is that it relies entirely on user input. If you use Canvas for every class, but one professor decides not to upload the syllabus, then you cannot reference it and might be out of luck over the weekend. Consistency is the key to Canvas's success.

Makes school work more digestible, easy, and interactive

Reviewed on 13/06/2019

My experience with canvas has been positive. Canvas is a tool for the student and teacher, and it should be used as such. It has saved me time and stress for years!

Pros

I have been using Canvas since high school. I am going to be a senior in college this upcoming fall and I still use it. Canvas is a reliable way to take quizzes, exams, and even complete activities. I have taken several full online classes that only use canvas a resource. With that said, canvas helps relieve some of the stressors that come along with being a student, and I'm thankful for that.

Cons

The calendar app could be tweaked a little. It is a little overwhelming looking at the calendar when its consumed by the events in every one of my five classes at once.

Sarah H.

Successful student planning

Reviewed on 14/03/2018

Easy acess to my school courses which provided an overall better experience.

Pros

I like being able to see all of my classes at a glance. It is easy to see where I stand in each course, what assignments are due next, updates from class discussions ect. I feel more involved with my classes because I can see what is being updated immediately. I enjoy the discussion features often used by professors. These discussions keep your mind on the subjects currently being worked on, so they stay fresh in your mind. All contact information for your classmates is available through the app, which is nice for when you need to borrow notes or schedule study groups. The calendar available is usually easily accessible, and contains all the important dates for the semester. I am constantly referencing the app to make sure that I have completed everything I need to, that there haven't been any new updates, and that I am aware of all upcoming tests and assignments.

Cons

Obviously the efficacy of the software depends on the diligence of the professors and administrators inputting information into it. On a tech level, it is very well designed. I have only noticed a few times that the app has been down, or that a certain feature isn't working.

Neal D.

The best software to check grades and assignments

Reviewed on 20/03/2018

I can check my grades easily. I can also see what is due with the calendar option and plan out my week. I love how you can view all your classes and see your previous classes. I can look and download my teachers syllabus multiple times (because we students always delete that). I can also test my grades to see what the lowest grade I can obtain to keep my desired grade(A):)

Pros

Love this software so much. I can see all my classes that I am currently taking and have taken already. The calendar view lets you know which assignments are coming up and when they are due. You can click on a class page and information will be provided to you as organized by the teacher. I always look at handouts and in class presentation PowerPoints. The teacher can also make quizzes online and timed/ un-timed. You can see how you are doing in the class and calculate your predicted grade easily. I love how I can see what the lowest grade I can get from an assignment to obtain a desired letter grade.

Cons

There is a learning curve with this software. Sometimes when I look up my school's canvas it takes me to a broken canvas login screen. Teachers often complain how they are limited to how they can customize their canvas page. Each teacher also does their canvas page slightly different so it takes some getting used to.

Intuitive and Functional

Reviewed on 15/08/2019

Pros

Unlike other LMS software, Canvas brings you into the fold with an intuitive, customizable dashboard and practical features. Each course is its own hub, with modules easy to navigate. Instructors are able to integrate items like quizzes and media in a user-friendly way, and the application is very mobile-compatible.

Cons

The discussion post notification system could use some work, with more filters to customize what you do and don't want to see.