Zenefits

HR | OnBoarding | Payroll | Benefits | Compliance

4.2 /5 (710 reviews) Write a Review!
4.2
4.2
4.1
4.4
3.8
Shae J.

Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work

Reviewed on 16/08/2019

-Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce -Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry -Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper! -Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave. -Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses. -ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution. -Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros

With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one. Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons

I would love it if the custom email triggers were built out with greater functionality. Right now I highly utilize this tool but I see the opportunity for additional growth. The site should have a support number listed in the event of an outage. Right now you can only access support if you are logged into the dashboard.

Raffi E.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Zenefits reduces our time on human resources management

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Zenefits is a great human resources management platform that unifies all operations in a single panel after you overcome the high learning curve.

Pros

Zenefits is a time saving human resources management platform for us which collects human resources and payroll in one single panel and enables to manage all related process in an integrated manner.

Cons

They do not provide any support during the setup period, we needed to develop solutions for all problems we have encountered during the setup process which took around 8 weeks.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Turn-key payroll and benefits solution for start-ups

Reviewed on 16/11/2020

Over, I would highly recommend Zenefits for companies that are looking for a simple way to manage their HR needs.

Pros

Very simple and intuitive interface.
Makes managing HR, payroll, and benefits easy.

Cons

Could have more seamless integration of 3rd party healthcare providers.

User friendly!!

Reviewed on 25/11/2020

Wonderful overall, would definitely recommend

Pros

I love how incredibly user friendly zenefits is for the staff and management. The convenience of the app is a big bonus too.

Cons

Wish there was more customization available

Lauren S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Zenefits Review - French Broad Chocolates

Reviewed on 12/04/2017

It would be great if there were a way to require that employees enter bank account information and disable the paper check option all together. I believe this is legal in North Carolina, where we are located, as long as the employee receives a pay stub. It would also be amazing if there were a built in team communication portal. We currently use GSuite to build Groups which can encompass non-Gmail email addresses, as well as HotSchedules. It is a bit difficult to always be adding folks' emails to so many different systems. If Zenefits could track employee reviews based on their position/wage changes, that would also be amazing! That's all for now.

Pros

The aesthetic of the site is nice. The overall idea of employee/administrator shared duties is nice. The onboarding process is almost as efficient as I think it could be and the insurance function works pretty well with some exceptions. The multiple integrations with other software are also vast and offer many options for integration.

Cons

Does not integrate with QB Manufacturing Edition. Does not offer multiple job roles/pay rates (this keeps us from further exploring any timekeeping or alternative payroll integration). Org chart does not allow for multiple owners/CEOs. Does not allow for tracking of certifications or training for employees. Insurance deductions aren't correct after 2 fixes...still waiting on support for this. There is no general alert system upon logging in, as there was on the old platform. I-9 verification does not require employees to upload enough documentation. i.e. they can upload a driver license and not the 2nd form of ID, so when I receive the request to verify, there is only one form of ID there and I have to chase them down for the 2nd. If they do go into Zenefits to upload another form of ID, it is difficult to navigate.

Teresa B.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Zenefits has been great for our company!

Reviewed on 14/12/2017

Pros

Zenefits has been a great way for a small business, like us, to ease into technology. It has really great and helpful tools, the cost is far less than alternative options, and their customer support is usually excellent. It has helped cut down benefits paperwork tremendously, kept us ACA compliant, streamlined our hiring process, and we were able to customize other areas (such as documents) to help us track policies & trainings. We're still finding ways to be able to customize it to work for our company. So with all of the options we use and new ways we are able to customize it, the cost continues to go down once it's all factored into the equation.

Cons

Zenefits is a fast moving company, so sometimes changes come fast and furious. They usually are good changes, so that helps ease the burden. However, sometimes it can feel like I just learned how to use something and then it changes. But I guess that's also just the new normal. Other than lots of changes, I really don't have a lot of cons. When I come across issues, I contact a customer service rep and things are usually taken care of. I'm sure there are little things I would tweak here and there, but nothing significant that would make me not recommend using this product.

Kate N.

Excellent HR platform for growing companies

Reviewed on 19/08/2019

We are able to manage Benefits, Payroll, Performance Management, Time Off Requests, and Paperwork all from one system.

Pros

This program ties together most of our HR needs into one platform, making it easier for HR staff and employees to access the information they need. We process our payroll through Zenefits and they offered some 401k third party company options, which allows those benefits to be seamlessly integrated.

Cons

Support can be difficult to get online at times. They have a chat feature, which is most convenient for me as an administrator, but the wait times can be long or the chat request may be converted over to an email. This is a problem I have noticed over the past 3-4 months.

Otto B.

21 days and counting for customer support RE: Tax issue

Reviewed on 8/12/2020

Pros

The software is comprehensive and allows us to make one purchase for everything we need. The price is right and fair

Cons

We had no cons until recently when we submitted a support request to the tax department. Some state taxes went unpaid by Zenefits Payroll. State governments give a very short period of time before they begin levying 10% + interest. (In our case we had 10 days to rectify the issue or send a response). So far we are 21 days into our support request and have not received any response other than the initial confirmation of receipt. We followed up 8 business days in, and were met with silence. This will likely be a the reason we change software in 2021.

Sandy P.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Excellent user interface for the admin and employees alike.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

An easy to use interface and a tool that allows our employees to electronically and seamlessly on-board. I enjoy that the tool automatically reminds the end-users to complete tasks and keeps track of everything in one useful tool. I would like to see it become an intranet for employees to access company specific templates, content and tools.

Pros

What I like most about Zenefits is that it allows our employee on-boarding process to be completely automated and electronic. I love it!

Cons

The software I like, but being an earlier adopter, there were many growing pains within the company which caused a lot of issues with our open enrollment for two consecutive years. We recently resigned our contract and based on what we need, went with the basic (silver?) plan, which doesn't include Vacation Tracking. We don't need all of the HR support since we're a consulting services company. With that said, I'm disappointed that we weren't grandfathered in to having that tool.

Ashley G.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great HRIS platform

Reviewed on 19/12/2019

Pros

There are many pros to Zenefits! Offer letter generation, custom fields for user specific information that needs stored, custom reports, Club Zen, the HR library and much much more! Anytime I've needed assistance customer service has been prompt and helpful. There are also tutorials and an extensive implementation period to make the end user comfortable with the system

Cons

If I had to list a negative it would be.... nothing!

Response from Zenefits

Thanks you Ashley!
We appreciate your business.

Amber O.

One-stop-HR shop!

Reviewed on 14/08/2019

Zenefits allows us to have a small HR team with a big impact. The UI is easy to use and processes are straightforward. Customer support is also awesome when we do have questions!

Pros

The overall "Pro" is the fact it does so much and is very affordable! As a small bootstrapped start-up, having most of our HR functionality in one easy to use place makes a huge difference in effectively managing our employees and adhering to budget needs.

Cons

The more I work with it, the more I want other processes we use to integrate, which I know they are continually working on. The software has is great on its own but we would love to see customizable training integrations as a feature later on.

Anna D.

Zenefits is an all in one HR management system

Reviewed on 25/07/2018

The software takes a lot of work off of HR staff. If you use it to its full advantage, it can do the majority of payroll, insurance and benefit selections, open enrollment, hiring and termination, and employee contact information all for you.

Pros

Zenefits allows me to easily hire, terminate, and track all employees safely and securely. It is user friendly and allows the employee to manage all of their personal information and benefits as well as benefit selections with ease.

Cons

Zenefits does have some quirks in their system, they haven't perfected everything but every month they progress and whenever I do find a problem or glitch in the system, the customer support team and service is always very helpful.

Josh E.
  • Industry: Design

What you are looking for even if you don't even know yourself at this time.

Reviewed on 10/11/2018

It has not been perfect from over five years ago, I cannot lie but they have in the last three years brought it to a whole new level and stepped it up beyond time after time.

Pros

It is the happy balance with an EXTRA kick. It is HR, Payroll, Time and Attendance, Scheduling, Documents, onboarding and so much more. I don't​ even know how people do it without zenefits, must have been horrific.

Cons

Waiting for them to write the amazing new technology that is coming. This is a personal issue of patience. There are tons of features always being updated or available like schedule​ which not only is amazing and all in one for ease of use by staff but also free!

Zenefits has greatly simplified the on-boarding process and saved time using integration...

Reviewed on 12/04/2018

Time savings and offering a single source of employee HR data to employees.

Pros

The hub-spoke concept, with Zenefits as the hub and passing data to payroll, benefits, savings partners to eliminate duplicate data. Time savings and ease of use are best features.

Cons

Changing partners or not offering enough partners. I am a contract CFO and have 3 of my clients on Zenefits. Having been with Zenefits for awhile, we have had payroll integration partners change, but now 2 out of 3 use Zenefits payroll, and 401k partners change. Every time you break the hub/spoke link it creates manual entry or changing partners to stay in sync.

Aimee F.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

One of the BEST HRIS systems on the market

Reviewed on 12/09/2019

I absolutely loved this HRIS. As a consultant, I have worked with other organizations since that are using other HRIS/payroll tools and greatly miss my Zenefits heyday.

Pros

NEARLY EVERYTHING. From benefits administration to onboarding to PTO tracking it literally organized and kept almost all areas of HR automated in a user-friendly, highly customizable manner.

Cons

We had to give up our long-time relationship with our broker. That was part of the deal. We worked through their 3rd party relationship for ATS and performance management platforms, but we liked both tools, so it didn't feel awkward.

Katy R.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

I love the simplicity of the Zenefits platform, and their customer service is incredible.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Time saved. Mistakes avoided (I used to manage some of these areas manually in spreadsheets).

Pros

I like the ease of use and the simplicity of the software - it handles things like time off and open enrollment that I used to manage manually in Excel spreadsheets.

Cons

Because it is a "simple" HR platform, sometimes the complexities of daily HR administration aren't supported. For example, I wanted to increase the PTO bank maximum/cap for 2 employees for a temporary basis. That's not possible in Zenefits without creating an additional PTO policy and switching employees to that policy, which I'm sure will cause some unforeseen consequences. Plus it's time consuming. In short - t's not fully customizable.

Karla przybylski P.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Awesome Resource for small businesses

Reviewed on 7/12/2016

I am a huge fan of Zenefits. As the HR and office manager for a non-profit school, we are growing very quickly and I needed a resource where I could streamline our on-boarding, get rid of hard copies, and manage our staff's employee files and paid time off in one place. I started using Zenefits this past August and have had a wonderful experience with the product and the customer service. Someone is willing to help and getting back to me. I find emailing is the quickest way to get a response, which is my preferred communication as well. Since I have started using Zenefits under the direction of their new CEO, they are continuing to grow and improve their already great platform. The set up time is as to be expected since not every company is the same and each company's needs are different. I am a huge fan and supporter of Zenefits and their customer service. I am excited to grow with this company and their product.

Pros

Onboarding new employees and getting all of their paperwork done takes me a few clicks of a mouse to get all of the information to the employee. I am able to manage and track PTO by just downloading a report, and most importantly, everything is done in one place.

Cons

You have to pay to use their payroll service =)

Missy L.

Zenefits is a great start to easing the pains of onboarding

Reviewed on 2/05/2017

Would prefer some more true benefits advice from the benefits advisor. while she helped me a lot with this open enrollment, I felt that I was driving the discussions rather than she. I would've like more advice from her regarding which plans to target and what other companies my size are doing.

Pros

Zenefits makes onboarding and benefits enrollment paperless and easy. The third party app integrations help round out the onboarding process.

Cons

Sometimes the app integrations don't work. Third party app store is minimal. Would like integration with my current 401k provider.

Abiezer A.

Simple and easy

Reviewed on 2/04/2020

My overall experience has been good, with the exception of the first week issue.

Pros

There is a lot of information that I can access in my page. I can see the team that works with me and it gives me a great overall picture of the company.

Cons

When I enter my hours, another box open in the same day, automatically. This caused that in my first week I entered all the hours of the week in the same day. Lack of attention in my part. However, if instead of the box opening automatically, I had to open it manually, this confusion might not happen.
Also the overnight selection, I don't particularly like.

Response from Zenefits

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
We appreciate your business.

Harrison B.

Zenefits, the low-profile and easy-to-use HR management platform

Reviewed on 25/08/2016

Pros

Its ridiculously easy to manage and view my requested time off and remind myself of vacations and other important company policies. The company phone book is also really nice to have for ICE type events. They also recently released an iPhone app which has come in handy on multiple occasions. I could quickly request a day off from home without needing to login to my desktop or wait til I came in to work the next day and do it. Generating pay statements is also a snap. since I have direct deposit set up, anytime I need to access and remind myself what I got paid and when, I can use Zenefits.

Cons

I hate to leave off a downside, but I have not run into any issues using Zenefits. Yes, there are other services out there for this kind of thing, but Zenefits has just proven easy to use. I don't have to re-learn the UI or how to request time off (etc) everytime I log-in. Most everything else, for me, is not of much consequence.

• Industry: Design

Good Customer Service, Limited Options unless you opt for upgrades

Reviewed on 11/12/2017

Pros

So far, Zenefits has been great to support the needs of a growing company. The help center is great and customer service is fantastic. Clean, crisp layout and no errors in loading/commands. Very very easy to use for administrators and employees.

Cons

They limit key features, such as payroll and commuter benefits, and force you to go with their service instead of integrating with other providers. It isn't a huge con but it makes it difficult since they market themselves as lightweight, highly integratable and improves onboarding/ hr management. Just a little cumbersome as these steps in onboarding must be completed separate.

Alize L.

Great HRIS Software!

Reviewed on 27/05/2020

Great! We depends on Zenefits daily to track time and attendance, vacation, compliance info, employee onboardings, and more! Their team has always been quick to help if I have any setbacks and they roll out updates to improve the user experience frequently.

Pros

The simple navigation and easily available support via chat or phone call.

Cons

The Time & Attendance app user interface can be improved. Sometimes lags and has some kinks to be worked out but is overall good!

Joshua E.

Great Product, move out of the way other company

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

LOVE ZENEFITS!

Pros

The program keeps evolving into a better and better product. They have already blasted past all expectations. There is no one in the range of Zenefits that for the price can add the start up tech. The on boarding and work flow and data space is amazing.

Cons

Since they are always trying and adding new items, they are not perfect but never put us at a hardship just need a tweaking.

John K.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great Help

Reviewed on 29/05/2020

I am a small business owner and Zenefits has allowed me to self manage my HR department.

Pros

Took control of my payroll with Zenefits assistance.

Cons

No issues thus far. The customer services have been great.

Nikki H.

Zenefits is an intuitive, easy to use product that has also increased productivity.

Time saver. Ease of use.

Pros

One place for all HR paperwork. East to sign up for insurances. Employees can easily reach out for support on their own instead of going through HR.

Cons

There are time where a feature in their wheelhouse is not added, but would save me a ton of time. Sometimes issues take a long time to be resolved. Still unsure how i feel about OneDigital integration/change.