Slack

4.7 (23,221)
Write a Review!
A single place for team communication and workflows

(23,221)
4.5/5
4.6/5
4.6/5
4.4/5

Sanskriti
Sanskriti

Implementing Slack at work was an absolute decision

Reviewed on 9/10/2020

We implement slack for inter-office communications. Slack made the communication possible and managing workflows was a lot easier. We often use slack for real-time messaging not, particularly for archives. Overall, slack has enhanced our business productivity, collaboration between project teams, and managed to provide streamlined communication.

Pros

Slack was easy to use and implement at work. The web version of slack works completely fine. The slack interface is streamlined and ideal for business communication. We are able to replace emails at work and use communication on slack, which is quick and easy for project teams. The most significant thing I loved about Slack is, it can be integrated with other productivity, communication, and collaboration tools to make the work more streamlined and can be an optimum choice for automation and scripting.

Cons

The only downside to this application is its pricing. The standard plans lack most of the important features, so we thought of upgrading to Plus. Since the price is based on per person per month, we found the pricing for Plus too high. So, we had expected if the price could be pay-per-module, but that can’t be helped either.

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Salesforce has lot of complexities at work and all we need is an easy and efficient tool to beat the performance. And we found Slack worthy of it.

Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack is easy to use and implement at work. Well, it has ability to integrate with lots of apps, and outruns all other alternative applications in performance.
Ilan
Ilan
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Slack Review

Reviewed on 1/09/2022

Slack has been a go-to team meeting and chat platform at different positions and also during communal club spaces for organizations, such as the graphic design organization AIGA, which I frequent within my local design community. I haven't had any major issues with it thus far ans can easily recommend it. Being a business-focused chat space it also does not have silly loading messages like Discord which I've also used and which also worked well, but felt a bit unprofessional at times.

Pros

Slack is an easy to navigate, light on hardware platform to facilitate teamwork. You won't need a top of the line computer to run it so even in remote work conditions you will reliably have it available. There are not excessive features to get lost in or particular issues finding your team meetings constantly, a code to the overall Slack channel is sufficent.

As opposed to other productsused for video conferences such as Zoom, everything is built in on Slack for "one stop shopping" using the program. It allows for image uploads and other useful tools such as split channels for specific tasks like designating a set of crew members to a task in a server,

Cons

The user interface is readable but slightly bland with the entire white color scheme. It's not strictly necessary but it can be difficult to only look at that color scheme for when you use it, other programs like Discord have variability.

Amber

Easy to use communication tool

Reviewed on 24/04/2024

Pros

easy to communicate with team members in real time

Cons

new notifications easy to miss at times

Slack : A very quick review

Reviewed on 15/05/2019

Slack improves correspondence among colleagues.

In spite of the fact that it doesnot supplant the...

Slack improves correspondence among colleagues.

In spite of the fact that it doesnot supplant the need of email yet yes it clearly reduces unnecessary inside messages

Slack stays a standout amongst the best group informing applications since it offers more than some other application in this classification.

For a variety of devices and platforms, Slack is available: mobile Mac, Windows, Linux, Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.
It is a cloud-based tool in real time, so you need an Internet connection to use it regardless of which app you have.

Pros

What I truly like is to discover individuals and ping them and begin a transformation.

Most significant, you can share records, photographs, URL, gifs (Very significant), in a solitary spot.
Making joint effort simple and something to appreciate.

at the point when significant data is imparted to other application it gets lost and there is no record of it.

With the slack channel, the data is put away and can be utilized as references

Slack makes it workable for its clients to have numerous alternatives of getting informed.

The best component, as I would see it, is the place somebody can "@" you in a message or a post.

Cons

Below are some points which I least like in Slack:

Video calls are just bolstered in the work area applications and Slack for web in the Chrome program.

In the event that you join a call from a cell phone, you get sound as it were.

So also, screen sharing just works from the work area applications,

what's more, sharing control of screen sharing just works in the Mac and Window work area applications (not Linux).

From the web application in Chrome, you can watch on the off chance that another person utilizes screen sharing, yet you can't start it.

There is also no option for downloading conversations to create a hard copy record (for minutes of meeting, etc.).

No File Preview: If you could preview a document without downloading it first, it would be nice. But Slack does'nt have this feature.

• Industry: Human Resources

Your all in one communications channel

Reviewed on 6/03/2024

Pros

I like how Slack is simple to use yet very powerful when it comes to functions. It could be an all-in-one communications channel solutions fit for remote work. Plus this can be integrated with different 3rd Party APIs that can trigger automated notifications.

Cons

None so far. I haven't experienced any major concern that hinders my overall productivity.

Fedor
Fedor

Standard chat app in IT companies

Reviewed on 26/08/2023

Pros

In our company most of internal communication and support of key customers go through Slack. Slack Connect is a really great thing, especially because Slack reached network effect.

Cons

Lack of autocompletion using AI and advanced spell checking in messages.

Google Meet

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Threads, Slack Connect, Calls (they were pretty bad, but significantly improved), Screen sharing
Lavernea
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best for Team Collaboration and Communication

Reviewed on 1/04/2024

Pros

I love how simple and easy it is to keep in touch with team members, stay on track, and make sure we are all on the same page.

Cons

I find that I need to reload Slack to receive new messages in the channel.

Mohammed Abdul
  • Industry: Government Administration

Slack me crazy!

Reviewed on 22/04/2024

Great, would use it over teams any day.

Great, would use it over teams any day.

Pros

Really good and efficient tool to use for any company. It can sync with lots of apps and very easy on the eye.

Cons

Nothing at the moment. It's very quick and snazzy.

Rob
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Excellent Chat Platform

Reviewed on 1/04/2024

Pros

I like how easy it is to setup channels, share files, and make announcements.

Cons

Information retention time period is not long enough. Compression would be beneficial for archiving.

VAKHTANG
  • Industry: Accounting

Slack review

Reviewed on 5/04/2024

Overall Slack works great and simplifies my daily work.

Overall Slack works great and simplifies my daily work.

Pros

Easy to use in everyday work. I Can sand files. I have access from my mobile phone.

Cons

Sometimes it freezes, but it happens not often.

• Industry: Publishing

Slack's As Good As The Team That Uses It

Reviewed on 3/08/2019

Slack's an incredibly important part of our organization's tools now. At first there was resistance from some in leadership: would it be distracting, would it be yet one more thing that confuses people about where information is and how to find what you're looking for? But we set some ground rules and best practices early on and had a small team try it out for a few months before making it available company wide. Establishing the expectations around slack and making sure that everyone understands that it's not a tool that people should be expected to be on all the time is critical.

Pros

Slack has been great for our company. Yes, it does cut down on the number of emails our team sends, and it has enabled us to work with our remote colleagues more efficiently. The desktop apps and mobile apps are well designed and the improvement to UX that comes with most updates is often welcome (e.g., recent addition of the Drafts feature).

Cons

The things I like least about Slack are not issues to do with Slack but instead to do with implementation, rules, culture, etc., etc. Like anything that's good and revolutionary, the implementation of Slack requires an understanding that with benefits come downsides. Be wary that humans using this software will remain humans and their idiosyncrasies and personalities will not be masked by the communication tool.

Google Chat, WhatsApp, Microsoft Viva Engage and Google Meet

Reasons for Switching to Slack

At the time we began using slack there was a great incentive for our nonprofit and it was very low cost to try it out. We've not been disappointed.
Andrew

Slack Review

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Amazing. We have a team the works remote and using Slack is a lifesaver. As offices modernize, it's hard to just go to someone's desk to ask a question. Leaving a Slack message is much less invasive an easily searchable paper trail in case you need to reference it later.

Pros

Slack is great for teams and personal life communication. The amount of categorizing and partitioning you can do within a workspace is astounding. You can utilize certain project hashtags when speaking about it, then later go in search the hashtag to find all messages about said project. Different channels can be set up for various teams/ clients/ projects and the number of 3rd party integrations are immense. For instance, I can create a task in my TSM "Wrike" instantly from a Slack message making things super easy as messages are flying past.

Cons

There's not much to complain about here. The Chat bot can get a little annoying if you already know what you're doing. Also, if your friends/ family use Slack for a group chat, it can be difficult to separate work/ personal life as all of your spaces are in one place and you can see you have work messages.

Heather
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Connecting made easy

Reviewed on 24/11/2019

I have used many messaging platforms in my professional career and for me, Slack takes the cake! It is really modern and the features are very easy to use. I also like how Slack manages new feature release which you can always tell us based off of recent user feedback. Slack is extremely intuitive and my team team (even those who prefer to communicate less ) enjoy using it.

Pros

Slack is great for collaborating and communicating with your immediate team and across multi functional teams as well. Creating channels that are topic specific such as DevOps or functional area (product) specific allows people from across the organization to post questions, comments, share docs (slack has a larger file capacity that our email server), and subscribe to certain posts such as issue management. I really like the @all, channel, specific person functionality because of how it is linked to notification management. My other favorite slack feature is pinning certain threads which Slackbot can help remind you when new detail is published pertaining to the thread.

Cons

I wish that there was a history roll up available so I could check back maybe 4 moths or so to see who I talked to. For instance, I was recently troubleshooting a technical issue and knew I had spoken with someone before to resolve the same problem a few months back. However it was in a 1:1 direct message and for the life of me I could not remember their name! I wish there was some type of running history that could show me everyone I have corresponded with because there is only so much room in the section doe Direct Messages in the fixed Slack side bar/column. I also wish that I could get a daily roll up of direct message communications to my email because I like the notification I have setup for whenever a new Slack message comes accross.

Ivan
Ivan

The right tool for the job!

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

Best thing that happened to our company. Our productivity has increased since and our "reachability" as well. We feel very close now, even for our team which is 100% remote.

Pros

They really put the work into making a chat software that is very usable. intuitive, agile and overall, very enjoyable. We use many of the bots the marketplace has, especially the Google Calendar, Zoom, Giphy and Slackbot integrations that comes with it.

Cons

I cannot think of much of what I dislike about Slack, because I like everything about it. I used to have an issue that Slack didn't load properly, but an update and empty cache button swiftly solved it. Sometimes the calls ring on the phone first before doing it in the computer.

Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack

We used to have Skype (not the Business one) for our internal communications and since the switch to Skype 8, the experience became really really bad for us. Some of our users do not have good computers and Skype 8 became a really heavy web app. For smartphones it became really painful.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Microsoft Teams is/was not available for Linux at the time.
Mimi

Best Team Communication Software Out There

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

Very positive. Few complaints. A super fun, dynamic, effective platform for work, projects, etc. alike.

Pros

I don't think anything can compete with Slack. It's quick, efficient, fun to use, social, playful (GIF's! /giphy), unclogged and dynamic. The calling and group chat features have been especially handy lately with remote working. I also love that you can add such a diverse range of content (code, movies, images, gifs, lists, quizzes, link previews, etc.). The polls + GIF randomizers also keeps things 'fun' and light, useful for all types of people in all types of roles. The UX is very straightforward, the interface design is beautiful and FUN, which is important for a communication platform. People enjoy being on Slack. I don't mind opening it up - and that means a lot, considering it means I'm working. The search and archive functions are also great.

Cons

Don't have many complaints, honestly. I think it might be better if you had a way of storing 'updates' for projects, the way Basecamp does. Pinning messages, or files? To prioritize them, so they don't get lost in the conversation flow. Also could maybe benefit from a 'presentation mode' for Slack video, unless it exists already, to compete more with its competitors like Zoom? But overall, I have few/no complaints.

Matthew
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

The Gold Standard For Workplace Communication

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

We have employees all over the world so Slack is our hub for communication. We use it to have conversations, post announcements, and brainstorm ideas. It can also launch video conferences with excellent annotation features which makes it easy to share ideas about a document or piece of code.

Pros

It is extremely easy to use, there are many bots and tools to customize your workspace, and the actual communication tools are superior to the ones offered by Google and Microsoft. For example, the ability to thread conversations, easily set reminders about messages, and other subtle things add up to a much better communication system.

Cons

I have experienced no major negatives as a user of the product. Depending on the number of users in your organization, the monthly cost will start to add up but I think this is similar to their competitors unless you're already paying them for other services that include something like Microsoft Teams, for example.

Flowdock, Microsoft Teams and Google Meet

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Flowdock was actually a high quality product and the best competitor to Slack that I've tried, but Slack became much more popular and started to have better integrations with other third party services. At this point, Slack has become synonymous with workplace communication software in the same way that Zoom has for workplace video chat.

Flowdock

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack has better usability than Microsoft Teams and Google Meet. Users inside the company mostly preferred to use Slack even when multiple options were available. The threading functionality is particularly useful. Flowdock actually does conversation threading the best of all the products, but its a smaller player at this point so is probably not considered as often.
Brent W
Brent W

The communication tool you can't do without

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Slack has improved our communication workflow with our team and improved the way we interact with clients. It allows for multiple language to be spoken by using some translation tools, thus including more staff and especially non-english speaking staff.

Pros

Slack is a great collaborative software that helps users to collaborate across cities, countries, and timezones. It is a crucial part of our project workflow and helps to let developers, project managers, and clients speak to each other in a collaborative enviroment.

It has numerous integrations that allow for third-party apps to interact, create, and receive messages and alerts. These integrations allow us to have one place in which all communications can flow and makes it easier for a worldwide team to be up on the latest updates and critical alerts that may happen.

Cons

The slack tool can be a little battery intensive, especially as you add more slack channels. It also gets quite expensive as you add additional paid members to the group. If you are not aware of all your paid members, or you add guests as paid it can get very expensive quickly.

Because this is a discussion, it is also possible that critical conversations can get lost in the stream of texts coming through.

Ghazal
Ghazal
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

New Age Communication Tool

Reviewed on 15/05/2022

Good, good, gooood. Thanks to Slack that enabled us to improve our communication and achieve our set goals. Instead of email, we communicate through Slack and it gets a better result.

Pros

I like the cool features and amazing functionality of Slack. It makes file sharing, meetings, and team collaboration so easy that anybody can do it without putting much effort. Since we started using Slack, we have shifted almost all of our daily communication to this one-in-solution. Our team members always get in touch with each other using the real-time chat feature. We have created different channels for different teams that helps us manage the work in a more organized way. File sharing is a big part of our work routine and Slack does it professionally. Integration with other applications such as Google Drive and Dropbox is another added feature. I have the PC version and also installed the phone application that helps me keep in contact with the team so effortlessly.

Cons

The contacts tab design can use some improvement. It's all cramped up. The drop-down arrows with the channel sometimes hide the contacts and that really annoys me. I wish there was a different user interface with more ease of use.

Leha
Leha
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Slack: The Bridge Connecting Colleagues With Effective Communication

Reviewed on 30/08/2022

While Slack is not extra-ordinary, it certainly is reliable. Its quick communication is the most attractive thing about it. If the problems are fixed, then it can do so much better.

Pros

Slack is a holistic platform which allows to integrate with other office tools and spaces. The best part about it is that one doesn't have to check their mails often. When your workplace is virtually available on Slack, 24*7 updates are available on a simple notification. With detailed notification settings, one can also choose to appear offline/away after office hours. Another good thing about it is, Slack is neither too personal nor to formal. You can chat/reach out to any member of the company at any time without having to worry if you are disturbing someone or being too informal in doing so. The reminders for meetings and special events eliminate the need to mark them personally on a calendar. All in all, Slack is the ultimate interface every organisation needs.

Cons

One of the things that needs improvement is the audio-visual quality of the video call service of Slack. That really needs working. Apart from this, Slack can be a little confusing with many channels that one has to navigate through. Channels are like sub-groups within one common platform. Too many channels can sometimes create confusion and miscommunication. Another problem would be its limitation of working smoothly only on the app. It often runs roughly on Chrome or any other browser.

Google Chat and Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack has better space for user interaction.
Richard

One of the best essential tools for many departments

Reviewed on 4/10/2022

Pros

Being able to control channels by managing team members on each channel is helpful. It also lets us connect with external slack (companies) and easily communicate with third-party companies with ease. Switching between organizations is a breeze. I can be able to open up multiple slack apps throughout many computer systems with the same credentials is also a huge plus.

Cons

I have not found one yet. All the features are quite satisfactory.

Asana

Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Asana was more project management-oriented, and overall, it was more complicated to use for many of our existing employees.
Caitlyn
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great Team Communication Software For Anyone Just Starting out

Reviewed on 23/10/2022

My overall experience with Slack has been alright. I loved the communication features and the fact that it was perfect for my team and I when we were just starting out. It really gave me the power to start my team even though I didn't really have the budget for a centralized communication software for my business at the time. The ability to coordinate and communicate with me team in real-time, as well as guest freelancers and others was great. It served us very well for the time that we used it. I would highly recommend this software to anyone who is looking to get started using a multi-person communication software for their team. If you are looking for something that is geared more towards focusing on tasks and project management as well as communication, I would recommend looking into something different.

Pros

The great thing about Slack is, first of all, it has multiple pricing plans. Especially, the fact that its first pricing plan is completely free. So it is great for anyone who is just starting a team, whether it be for a start-up for either a non-profit or a business. You have the ability to share files, communicate in real-time, receive real-time notifications, and communicate with multiple people at once. As well as do some small project management functions.

Cons

The only shortcomings I would say Slack has, is the fact that they are obviously a software that is mainly built for the purposes of communication between people in real-time. More like a glorified messenger app. So the file sharing, collaboration, and other project management features leave somethings to be desired.

Basecamp, monday.com and Wrike

Reasons for Choosing Slack

GroupMe was just a text messaging app and we needed something capable of doing more.

GroupMe

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We decided to choose Slack because they had a Free option to start. So, I felt like they were the best and most accessible option for someone in position who was just starting out.
Lina

Great collaboration platform

Reviewed on 6/11/2023

Slack seems to been the best collaboration currently available

Slack seems to been the best collaboration currently available

Pros

Simple to install, setup, and use for an organization of any size. They continue to enhance and improve. The search capability is very slick and the option to save a message for quick find later is great. Easy to organize channels and direct messages into groups. Has a lot of add ons which help integrate with other tools within a work environment. Great documentation and community support.

Ease of management is a highly desired feature, which slack provides. Collaboration options like audio/video calls, file sharing, screen sharing, ability to select which screen/desktop to share, and group calls are amazing features which work really well

Cons

Nothing that stands out other than occasional bugs which get addressed soon. Some apps send notifications even after they are muted.

Bhavin
Bhavin

Don't think Get Slack

Reviewed on 27/12/2018

I would like to say that for team collaboration and channel managment, you should definitely go with Slack. There are so many benefits I have got by using Slack.

Pros

The best thing about slack is , it keeps you updated with the team collaboration with updated features where you can make your work done.

Apart from that Slack gives you a status feataure to write about yourself for a line or 2 lines sentence. When you are communicating with someone then he/she can see your status sentence. You can edit or clear your status by clicking on your name to the top left sidebar.

Another feature which I liked is when you slack messages are loading there is a random person's status is loaded infront of your screen so that You can get to know about his/her slack status.

Before proceeding for collaboration with your team or person, slack provides its SlackBot to get started with Slack basics so that you can have proper idea to use slack.

One more thing I liked is, slack gives you the notification feature for giving you updates regarding slack messages. You can send messages to yourself which will not be vanished from your slack account. This way you can keep important messages to your personal chatbox.

If you send a piece of Code then it will convert automatically to that code format to understand easily.

Cons

Whenever your message is read by someone, then you will not know if that person has read your message or not.
After sending messages to a person, and if a person has not read the message , and you delete the message then that person won't be able to know what message you have sent.
After sometime (Appox : 10 days) , the slack conversaion gets deleted from your account unless you don't have subscribed.
Voice Communication needs to be there in Slack.

Also there are no calender and documents features in Slack.

It uses more memory in Desktop.

Task assignment is yet to be there.

Andrea
Andrea

Great for interoffice communication

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

Interoffice communication has been streamlined and processes made faster by being able to communicate quickly and efficiently. Slack does a great job of bringing our coworkers together whom are remote or in different parts of the country as if everyone is in the same room having a conversation.

Pros

Slack is a very convenient tool for inter-office communication and is what we've used exclusively for the last 7 months or so after switching from Skype. Most of our work is done remotely and we have colleagues across the country that we need to communicate with daily for various projects. Slack is a very fast and easy way to do that. It doesn't fully replace email, but it does speed things up quite a bit for simple questions and answers. It's pretty easily searchable, too, if you ever need to go back and find something later. I like that you can create specific channels and conversations to keep workflow properly siloed. Mobile app is also great and just as easy to use. Overall great tool for quick communications.

Cons

It almost has too many features....It could definitely be simplified. There are just SO MANY things you can do with it that it can honestly be overwhelming at times if you click the wrong button or don't know how to use a certain feature. It also bothers me that there aren't "read" notifications in Slack, so you can't tell whether or not someone has seen your message. Kind of annoying when you're waiting for a reply on something.

Sreekanta

It facilitates quicker and easier communication.

Reviewed on 11/08/2022

I adored the audio and video quality as well as the screens sharing function.

I adored the audio and video quality as well as the screens sharing function.

Pros

Slack allows new users to start using it straight away with little to no setup required. The program offers a broad list of apps that may be integrated so that information can be discussed across a range of platforms from inside of Slack. Google Drive is one of the most popular programs, thus businesses who utilize Google Drive as their primary content management system should consider Slack. Slack has proven useful for both small and large businesses. Slack's numerous channels can be used by both small businesses and established organizations. It is simple to divide and conquer when each department has its own distinctive theme. It helps me and my team a lot while I am working on a research project.

Cons

Slack is wonderful for swiftly keeping track of what's happening, but it falls short when it comes to talks that cover a wide range of topics. Deeper interactions are best left to other tools because it might be challenging to maintain a conversation from beginning to end.
It can be challenging to keep up with multiple talks occurring at once, especially in a larger organization. Going back over talks to identify a specific topic can be difficult and time-consuming, even with distinct channels.