19,128 reviews

Slack

A single place for team communication and workflows

4.6 /5 (19128 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
4.5
4.5
4.6
4.4
19,128 reviews
Sanskriti G.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Implementing Slack at work was an absolute decision

Reviewed on 9/10/2020

We implement slack for inter-office communications. Slack made the communication possible and managing workflows was a lot easier. We often use slack for real-time messaging not, particularly for archives. Overall, slack has enhanced our business productivity, collaboration between project teams, and managed to provide streamlined communication.

Pros

Slack was easy to use and implement at work. The web version of slack works completely fine. The slack interface is streamlined and ideal for business communication. We are able to replace emails at work and use communication on slack, which is quick and easy for project teams. The most significant thing I loved about Slack is, it can be integrated with other productivity, communication, and collaboration tools to make the work more streamlined and can be an optimum choice for automation and scripting.

Cons

The only downside to this application is its pricing. The standard plans lack most of the important features, so we thought of upgrading to Plus. Since the price is based on per person per month, we found the pricing for Plus too high. So, we had expected if the price could be pay-per-module, but that can’t be helped either.

Taylor A.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

A good product with potential

Reviewed on 23/08/2019

Overall, my experience has been positive. As mentioned, there are many aspects that are very easy to use. Slack works well for our management team who is always active on it and focused on certain projects. However, for our general customer service team, it is less effective.

Pros

I like how easy the software is to use. It's very intuitive for anyone who has used a messaging app before. Another feature that is valuable for us is the ability to add employees to only certain channels. We have a diverse team that doesn't need to be involved in every conversation.

Cons

I wish that some of the pro level features were available for the free version. It is cost prohibitive for us to pay for the pro version. For example, we often run into an issue when trying to search for things that are far back in a channel. Slack only allows us to go back so far. Therefore, we lose important communication. Also, the nature of the Slack channels allows things to get easily lost. As team members, comment and change the subject important pieces of information get buried before everyone sees it.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Industry: Internet

Team Communication Simplified

Reviewed on 28/09/2020

We are using Slack as our primary communications as in-team and external members as well. Slack makes communications more professional than other casual messaging tools. There is a respect for other team members' private life as setting notifications off the work hours. We can keep all our commuınication in Slack and able to search and find our communications later.

Pros

Team Communication is easy and respectful to other team members.
Integrations with almost all other Saas providers allows users to do almost all actions within the Slack.
Advanced Search History is a great feature for team communication
Channels are keeping communication easier within the team or with external members.

Cons

The in-app call and video call options are still terrible in September 2020.
Exporting communication only available to admin. This should be done for everybody at least for private communications.
File search is still not good.

Jon B.
Company size: Self Employed

Slack is essentially advanced texting for business users

Reviewed on 9/07/2020

I started using Slack because my client required it. I find that it cuts down on my email dependence but I'm often frustrated when attempting to compose a message without standard elements such as tables, inline images, etcetrera.

Pros

I like the ability to stay in touch with our users via whatever device I'm currently using. For example, I can respond from my home computer, tablet, work computer or via my phone.

I especially like the ability to be notified of a new message via my phone where I can read the message on the phone but can step over to my laptop to reply.

I also appreciate the ability to add an email thread to a Slack Channel by simply adding a slack email address (each channel has a unique email address) to the CC field when I reply.

Cons

The biggest con for me is the extremely limited amount of formatting available to Slack messages. I can make a font bold and add links to files/images but I really miss the rich text features many similar apps provide.

It's also frustrating to need to keep typing adding the user name(s) when I'm responding to a message. I'm assuming that this is by design but it would really be nice to be able to "Reply All" to a conversation thread.

The desktop Slack application (running on Windows 10 Pro) has a "clunky" feel to it. It's written with a framework that allows the Slack developers to write HTML and JavaScript code that is essentially compiled into a Windows application and it definitely shows. Something as simple as selecting text is counter-intuitive (until you realize that it's essentially a web page mascaraing as a Windows application.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Best-of-Breed Messenger Platform

Reviewed on 11/10/2020

Been using Slack and admin in Slack since 2015. It's gotten a lot better and they definitely list to customers and what we want to see.

Pros

-UI is very easy to use for anyone to jump right in
-Easy to navigate and admin
-THE platform companies use to chat. Far better than GChat, Teams
-Customizable to user
-TONS of integrations
-Shared channels with our clients or companies we are clients of. Easy to manage and end when contracts end.

Cons

-Pricing. Definitely need the "Plus" license for HITRUST compliance and it's 2x more than a standard license. Paying twice as much just to have a feature we haven't used in over a year did not make the Finance team happy. Also need Plus to use onboard/offboard functionality in Bettercloud automations.
-Recent outages. Since march 2020 we've experienced issues almost every month even though Slack's status website only reported 3. I would get spammed with emails or Google Chat(our backup if Slack goes down) messages asking me what to do. I can't do anything, they went down.
-Private channels are invisible even to admins- even as the admin I can't see private channels which have been a problem when trying to create a channel but getting an error that channel already exists.
-When inviting users, add them to a user group that automatically that would add them to all channels they need like Eng, CS, Sales each get their 5-10 channels automatically.

Nicolas C.
Industry: Computer Games

Really good for Small to big teams

Reviewed on 29/06/2020

Pros

I used Slack for both my small startup and a 30 people agency I ran and it just scales perfectly.

The channels, easy file search, and free version to start with are great and it replaces internal email completely for our company.

Cons

Paid version could have a Startup friendlier version.

Nischala R.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Keeping on same page in team

Reviewed on 4/09/2020

I am happy to connect with people from diverse background without knowing personally.

Pros

It has public and private account, which makes it versatile to collaborate with global community.
It is a messaging tool which is very focused on task and general purpose. The best part is people will be joining on their own based on the interests/skills/hobbies and moderator is not inviting.

Cons

Sometimes when the channel has large group of people, we can get lost who is who and saying what.
Also password retrieval is not easy if you are setting account in new phone and forgot it.

Abdullah K.

Great Tool for Team Collaboration

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

I really loved Slack. We use it for communication, calls, video calls, screen sharing, group chats, status updates, application failure and success notifications, creating Jira tickets and sharing images, documents and other supported stuff. I liked everything about this software. Easy to create drafts by messaging yourself, easy to talk, quick to make a video call, easy to tag someone, etc. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

The best thing is the integrations with various apps available, that is seriously a great feature of the application. We have integrated Status Bot to share statuses. There are a lot of beneficial app integrations available.

Cons

I think everything is awesome. Maybe, new features can be added. Video conferencing can be improved.

Sarah H.

Slack for Team Collaboration

Reviewed on 16/07/2020

Our team uses Slack almost primarily for communication. We use Slack more than email and take advantage of the channels to organize them by project/client so communication efficient. We also integrate it with our project management tool to save conversation history which is very useful.

Pros

Slack has been a wonderful tool to help bridge communication gaps between our departments. The integrations with Google Drive are seamless and very handy. It's so nice to be able to search for a topic or conversation without having to spend hours digging through history. We also like the call features for remote meetings.

Cons

The tool is really well organized. It would be nice if the tool integration with Facebook ads to provide real-time updates to active campaigns.

Can A.
Industry: Consumer Goods

the bridge between the agencies and us

Reviewed on 15/09/2020

I think it provides us with a good platform for communication with the team and other companies.

Pros

It makes us very comfortable in terms of file sharing and task tracking. In addition, we can easily follow our internal affairs in terms of project management.

Cons

Sometimes service interruptions can disrupt our business. It took some time to adapt to the post-changing design. A detailed "how to" beforehand would have been good.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Adam C.
Industry: Internet
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Makes it easier to work with other people & teams

Reviewed on 15/10/2020

I spend most of my day in and out of Slack and it helps to keep things moving quickly. No need for long winded and formal emails or bulky ticketing systems with Slack around.

Pros

I like how easy Slack is to use. It’s as simple as you would expect an instant messenger app to be, but it has so many more features than that are just as easy to use! I can start a zoom call with a simple command, I get a message to remind me I have a meeting about to start and I can keep up to date with things happening across the company at a glance without having to trawl through email threads constantly.

Cons

I haven’t come across something I particularly like the least about the software as of yet. One thing I have tried to do but been unable is to quote a particular part of somebody’s message. Sometimes it’s useful to refer back to something myself or someone else in a conversation said, but the only option I know of is the forward/share message function. It would be good to have a simple ‘quote’ feature which allowed you to quote all of or a section of the message. But this isn’t a fault, only a potential improvement on an already great product.

Rashmi S.
Industry: Computer & Network Security
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Slack Experience

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

My overall experience with Slack is great. Except when I have to record meetings/demos, I like to use Slack. And for pure messaging, it works great as it also allows me to send files and also edit/delete past messages. Not all messengers provide these capabilities, so overall I love Slack

Pros

I use Slack all day to communicate with my team. It has most of the usual features that other professional messengers have. But one thing that I like the most is its ability to let me edit/delete the text even after I have sent it. In other messengers that I have used, once I have sent a message, there is no going back. So, if I typed something wrong by mistake, I cannot edit/delete it. The only thing I can do is to write a new message and explain the mistakes in the previous message. This can be OK sometimes, but in a lot of scenarios, it just add to a lot of confusion for the recipient and it can turn out out be a pain. I do not want to waste time explaining the messages that I accidentally typed wrong. I would just want to be able to edit the message, correct it and make it really simple for the recipient as well as for myself. After using this amazing feature, I hate to go back to other messengers that do not yet provide this capability.

Cons

Few other messengers provide very good recording capabilities, example record the meeting/call/demos. when it comes to this feature, I have to switch to another messenger. Also, @here usually sends alert to everyone subscribed to that channel. But when the conversation is in a thread, @here does not work. Probably a bug?

Daniel H.

Slack -- Great for Startup companies or enterprises

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Collaboration problems solved. Excellent plugins, and even writing your own (for example have a Git commit hook setup, that shows any commit, and also, any deploys to staging and production, so the entire team can see what is happening.

Pros

Very easy to share files, and have separate conversation threads (IRC style), with multiple members of your team. You can create channels to and invite members to, to discuss a particular topic -- such names of different projects, or groups within the company. Really allows you to organize your thoughts and help manage your teams projects and tasks, as far as communication.

Cons

While it offers great collaboration tools, the actual project and task management is kind of lacking. Even though we use Trello and Jira (and you can have Trello and Jira plugins for Slack, but they don't really integrate into the UI), I wind up assigning and following up on tasks from within Slack. For example, i will message a developer and ask them to fix a list of bugs, or post 5 or 6 detail fixes/feature requests, after reviewing a new branch on staging.

The problem is that you then send subsequent messages on that channel, and the tasks get buried. Then you have to scroll up, and find the task, if you want to review. There is no way for the developer to mark the task as done, or for me to easily see if they did it. Sometimes, I will have to scroll back into conversation thread for weeks, to find the 5 or 6 requests I made to the dev, and then re-ask the dev if he completed them.

Now, this may be a nit unfair, since Slack is not a project management tool, however, it lends itself VERY EASILY to being one, since it natural to assign tasks within Slack.

The slack team could very easily build tasks as a native feature in Slack, and make collaborating on tasks and PM much easier, as it's too time consuming to hop into Jira each time a bug is found -- I simply don't have time.

Christopher W.
Industry: Entertainment

Why We Use Slack For Our Start-Up

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Slack has been a great addition to our daily work ethic. Being able to use it on a mobile device as well as desktop is key and it has become an integral part of splitting up our tasks. I really couldn't recommend it more.

Pros

The overall ease of this software is superb. Every one of our team members found it easy to use immediately.

Cons

The one thing that bugs me is the return button. If you are writing a message then if I want to use a new line by pressing return Slack actually sends the message. So I then have to go in and edit my message. Return in Slack is another key. You would think would be easy to remember but then every other product has the return key used as a new line so I'm always having to edit my messages of they are spaced out.

Nicholas M.
Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Great for charitable organizations (because it can be free). Powerful. But expensive!

Reviewed on 8/09/2020

Push notifications and alerts have been helpful. We are able to get important information out to our team very quickly, and we are able to "thread" the information so that only certain groups or certain topics are discussed in certain "channels" or "threads."

Pros

Slack is made free for basic functions for charitable organizations. For this reason it can be a great option for charitable organization. It has powerful features, including video conferencing, file sharing, phone and web app integration, and file sharing. It also has cross-platform integration allowing connectivity between multiple different products, including Google and Microsoft products and IFFFT.

Cons

It is not cheap at all for even a small organization (unless your organization qualifies for a free subscription). There are limits to the number of users in a video conference.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Prince K.
Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

One of the Best Collab tools!

Reviewed on 25/08/2020

Overall the tool is used to communicate and share files amongst your own team as well as other teams which are external to yours. Its great for announcements or even details that you can pin to each individual or team chat. The channels allow you even finer controls over who can see it, participate, as well as the overall purpose. Its a superb tool for having each team create their own channels as well as special channels which can be used for announcements, heads up, changes, basically anything you need to communicate across. It is everything you would expect in a collaboration tool.

Pros

Ease of use and the feature list is probably why this tool does so well. It even allows you to build custom apps that you can implement with your existing apps/tools for a more streamlines experience! Its honestly made life a lot easier to collaborate amongst team members, especially during Corona times and working from home.

Cons

There really isn't much about this tool that I don't like. It runs smoothly and constantly has new updates to make the experience even better. The only thing I can think of is that it can be resource intensive at times but honestly it has not slowed me down yet. Also, when sharing your screen with another team or individual, you have to go back to the initial chat to send a message, it would be nice if it can be done from the same UI of the screen-share. Well made tool overall!

Brian F.
Industry: Legal Services

Essential Communication Tool

Reviewed on 14/08/2020

I have been using it since 2015 and am a happy camper. Slack is a daily tech solution in working with others both professionally and for volunteer & hobby projects. I would be in so much aggravation if I had to deal with more emails, phone calls, texts, or heavens forbid, skype :-(.

Pros

I enjoy:
• the reduction in emails, text, and phone calls that Slack provides,
• the search function,
• how slack integrates with google drive,
• the easy to navigate communication options with direct communication, general communication, channel communication, etc.
• the cost is very reasonable and slack gives credits as well

Cons

The UX for administrative and management functions is less than ideal. Tasks like archiving/un-archiving channels or adding/removing users is needlessly complicated.
Simple functions that should be part of the platform are not readily available, which is a shame. There should be a organic drive section and task list section native to the platform that by default are turned on at start but can be hidden.

Alex B.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

The best chat application.

Reviewed on 17/08/2020

Slack makes team communication easy. I use it to send updates to team members, build relationships with team members (it's funny how much team culture and unity can be built on a strong foundation of memes), post polls, gather feedback on internal projects, get quick answers to quick questions, etc. Slack makes it easy to integrate, so I've used third-party integrations like HeyTaco for employee recognition. Slack makes it possible to do a significant portion of your work out of a chat app.

Pros

Slack has by far the best UI, the best organization, and the best set of features. Competing products like Google Chat (the business version of Hangouts) don't even come close. The most critical feature is being able to simultaneously log in to multiple Slack instances which each have multiple rooms, groups, etc. Slack makes text-based communication super easy.

Cons

It's pricey in comparison to some of the competing software (especially if your organization already uses G Suite, it may be a hard sell to move to Slack). Also, Slack literally makes me more of a slacker - it's too easy to BS with coworkers or members of other non-work-related slack groups when I should be working.

Lisa L.
Company size: Self Employed

Best Collaboration Tool Available!

Reviewed on 11/08/2020

Slack has been wonderful to use both professionally and personally. I have managed multiple cross functional projects utilizing this tool to gather the most recent information needed for status reports, metrics, check-ins etc. Personally I use it to collaborate with my Agile Coach friends across the globe to share tools, tips and tricks we use while supporting our teams at work. We also use it monthly during our zoom meetups to chat amongst ourselves and share info during the call etc. I highly recoomend this collaborative tool.

Pros

I LOVE that you can create your own channels to keep conversations and shared documents organized and easily accessible for different groups you are collaborating with.
I also LOVE that these channels don't expire and can be accessed by anyone across the globe that you are collaborating with. This has changed the way collaboration can happen virtually in real time!

Cons

The # hashtags can cause me issues when I am searching for things but I am starting to get better at using them.

Scott C.
Industry: Media Production

Your Team In Your Pocket

Reviewed on 7/08/2020

I enjoy working with Slack. I'm on some channnels for web developers with tens of thousands of members and can often get a free answer to an easy (for a developer) question and fast. I've also met a lot of great people through that channel. Conversely, I haven't perfected the notifications so that I don't get pinged when anyone on any of the channels posts anything, and that adds up. I'm sure it's manageable, but I haven't found the time to check that box.

Pros

This is a no-brainer for start-ups and even old dinosaurs, especially these days (the great COVID pandemic). It combines the instant gratification of any chat app with intuitive drag n' drop filesharing, one click sub-group or project teams for siloed group coms, direct messaging, and hashtag denoted conversations for general participation that can even function like a newsfeed for relevant link sharing and other project or industry news or internal updates. Slack has become the default Millenial professional communication tool, and not just for the pretty icon. It's free for a long way but there are tiered account options all the way up to enterprise which has more trumped up security and support, as well as tools like huge video chats, unlimited storage and history, and unlimited software integrations (it works great with Google Drive.).

Cons

As a consultant, I am on several different slack "channels" - the Slack term for different companies Slack environments. It's easy once your set up with their software client and app to switch back and forth, but getting set up can require a call to the IT guy or the administrator of each separate Slack channel for permissions and credentials. Not a huge headache, but these days anything that requires a call to anyone can be considered at least a minor hassle.

Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great Business Continuity Tool

Reviewed on 4/08/2020

It has been a great experience using Slack. It is a valuable tool and I really like how we are able to collaborate as a team and make it seem as if we are still working together in the office.

Pros

1:1 Chat - Ability to have 1:1 conversations with team members. Useful when working on a project together.
Team Collaboration - Ability to bring a project together and share with a team.
Group Chat - Ability to have one area/space where the team collaborates, shares ideas, and works together to communicate issues.
Bot Integration - Ability to integrate various tools and bots that can make the day easier. Ability to integrate to web conferencing tools like Zoom, Webex, Teams. Ability to create to-do lists, track time, etc.
Manage Team - Great way to manage a team who is working remotely in various geographic locations.

Cons

Still trying to work around our SSO integration - This is mostly an internal bug we are trying to work on, but it would be nice if we can make Slack to work for a single sign on experience.

Matthew G.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The Gold Standard For Workplace Communication

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

We have employees all over the world so Slack is our hub for communication. We use it to have conversations, post announcements, and brainstorm ideas. It can also launch video conferences with excellent annotation features which makes it easy to share ideas about a document or piece of code.

Pros

It is extremely easy to use, there are many bots and tools to customize your workspace, and the actual communication tools are superior to the ones offered by Google and Microsoft. For example, the ability to thread conversations, easily set reminders about messages, and other subtle things add up to a much better communication system.

Cons

I have experienced no major negatives as a user of the product. Depending on the number of users in your organization, the monthly cost will start to add up but I think this is similar to their competitors unless you're already paying them for other services that include something like Microsoft Teams, for example.

John S.
Company size: Self Employed

An industry leader for a reason

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

I love slack and it is always getting better. Finding my chats, creating channels, and adding integrations are easy. I can’t recommend it for business enough. It’s so fun that I am trying to find other uses for it just so I have an excuse to use it.

Pros

Slack has become the industry leader in workplace communication and for good reason. It makes for a flexible place to have contextual conversations and integrates Into your workflow by easily allowing tools to integrate Into the application. From shopping carts to service monitoring alerts to team polls, there are integrations for just about everything. These integrations also allow meaningful, yet simplified, interactions so I don’t always have to leave The context of my conversations.

Cons

The largest problem is cost as well as limits in how I can leverage Slack For both work and for non-work related communication. It wasn’t built for non-work communication so I can’t truly complain. But I would love to see some focused paradigms show up in the ecosystem to make it so I don’t have so many chat applications. One other issue is the confusing of finding and managing my custom web hooks. As often as I use it I always end up spending 5 minutes on the site trying to figure out what we hook integrations I have and where to reconfigure them.

Joel H.

Really Love Slack, Great Way to Communicate with Multiple Clients

Reviewed on 23/06/2020

Mainly we are using it to solve issues with communicating across different companies and their contractors, not only streamlining conversations but bringing transparency to the messages so everyone can easily see what was sent, communicated, and when.

Pros

I have to admit I can be one of those cranky older IT guys that sit in the back corner and groans every time I hear of a new technology that is going to revolutionize things. When I first heard of Slack I figured it was more of the same and didn't use it for years. Finally one of my clients required that we communicate over and I honestly love it. The integration from the App to the browser-based version is seamless. I like how I can communicate with different Orgs and have all their staff on Slack already in when I login so I can easily communicate with who I need to. Messages are saved and easy to search to find what I need later. Group communicate and individual messaging is fantastic and I have used the VoIP to call some of my contractors that my client's use through Slack directly. All in all it makes working with people virtually easier and I will definitely be using it in the future.

Cons

My least favorite thing about slack is having to log into each org every time I need to work inside Slack. I think for most users this isn't a big deal, especially if they are using it with just one workspace. Because I work with several companies, it is a bit of a pain. I have to log in for each org to see the workspace and the only way I can see messages from another org is to open a new tab and re-login using the org's credentials. I wish there was a way to have one master Slack login and then move in and out of the different companies I work with without having to log in and out all the time or use different web browsers or tabs.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Slack is the backbone of what we do

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

Slack is used by everyone in the business on a daily basis, it allows us to work efficiently and makes working remotely a breeze.

Pros

There are other products out there that provide a similar service, but for me nothing compares to slack's flexibility to integrate with the other online services we use and automate workflows and reporting.

Cons

The video call feature could do with some slight improvements, a grid view would be great for group calls for instance.