Slack

4.7 (21,139)
A single place for team communication and workflows

(21,139)

Anastasia P.

Great communication & cooperation tool

Reviewed on 22/12/2021

I love it.

Pros

It's really easy to use and has amazing features. Especially when working in a big team or remote, you still feel connected. You can easily turn off notifications to get in to your focus mode and also share your status with your coworkers, if you're OOO, afk or currently in a meeting etc. Everything is very informal, so you don't lose time writing emails internally. You usually get answers really quick, especially when you post them in a channel and ask a whole team. Very good for feedback and open discussions.

Cons

I recommend to setup some Slack guidelines in your office, so you don't get disturbed by notifications. But usually those can be adjusted pretty easy in the settings. I would love it to have a better conferencing tool, where you can have meetings with several people in a closed meeting room, without having to create new groups. But otherwise this tool is amazing!

Slack Review

Reviewed on 15/12/2021

I love using slack with other instructors and with students. You can individually talk to people simultaneously along with writing things in channels and in different workspaces. Notifications are easy to respond to but not easy to customize.

Pros

I love that slack allows you to have different channels so that you can categorize different topics into different channels and keep conversations and files organized. I also like that you mention people so they get notified to look at a thread or a post. The web and mobile versions are actually the same, so makes transitioning easy.

Cons

I do not like that you can't turn off notifications for particular channels and even particular workspaces. It is either all on or all off. You cannot have more than 5 files or links in one post, so that is sometimes annoying when sharing things and collaborating with others.

Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack does not cost as much and it is easy to learn.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Slack - more to be desired

Reviewed on 6/01/2022

I'm not the biggest fan of slack. I don't enjoy having to go to multiple different channels to get different announcements but I suppose it's better for organization for larger projects and organizations. I found it kind of difficult to use and had some trouble understanding it. Also to get older messages I had to do a lot of scrolling.

Pros

- Good for file sharing and communication
- Easy direct messaging
-Like the reminders and alerts

Cons

- Not the easiest to use overall
- Not very compatible with phone on a browser
-The channels are confusing for inexperienced users

Dayna D.

Slack is great for remote teams!

Reviewed on 2/11/2021

This tool has helped us communicate as a team. It has helped us restore some type of "culture" in a remote workforce.

Pros

We love that you can see when teammates are in a meeting. Set up away notifications. Sync to our calendars. The newly added scheduled message feature is great so we can send messages within business hours (especially when someone is working outside of typical hours)

Cons

There isn't really much to not like. I haven't had many issues with the tool not performing but, occasionally the call feature can be a little buggy. (does not happen very often)

Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Google was just not able to meet all the demands we had as a team.

Google Meet

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We felt that Slack met more of the needs and had more options for integrations we wanted to utilize

Slack Gets the Job Done

Reviewed on 26/11/2021

Pros

For anyone used to hangouts, MS Teams, or just plain old text messaging, Slack is easy to adopt and begin using for communication and collaboration.

Direct messaging others is as simple as adding '@' before their username, and when you create a conversation with multiple people, they're automatically saved as a group you can instantly ping at any time. Conversations with multiple replies are rolled up into threads to keep the message board clean. And, Slack allows you to communicate with outside companies (i.e., vendors, agencies), as long as they use Slack, as well. It's such a timesaver vs. email!

Slack also seamlessly integrates with a plethora of collaboration and organizational apps like Google Calendar, Clockwise and Zoom. So, seeing your daily schedule, sharing your status, and your availability to reply to others, etc. are all handled automatically. And, you can start a Zoom meeting with one shortcut and invite others instantly.

And, for file management, attachments are easy to add, preview and fully display.

Cons

Slack uses shortcuts to fire certain apps or actions. This approach is great if you're used to thinking in code. But, for anyone that isn't, it may be a lot to learn so many different shortcuts and could possibly cause some users to miss out on Slack's more powerful features.

The same goes for Slack markdown in general. There are some great templates to add greater usability to Slack posts. However, they require using and editing Slack markdown, which basically is easiest done in the markdown builder tool and then pushed back into Slack. The markdown code itself is straightforward. But, for teams that don't code (and honestly may not need to code), it's a missed opportunity for them to do more with Slack.

Ilana (ilana) U.

Indispensable Tool

Reviewed on 17/12/2021

Can only sing its praises. We use it as a logging and bugs platform for our software, to communicate with one another privately, to communicate with groups in specific contexts and general contexts, to communicate with 3rd party companies we are affiliated with, as a platform for customer feedback, to integrate with other apps we use and more.

Pros

It's easy to use and gives us an accessible platform for a multitude of office, data and operations communications. It's always open and always being used.

Cons

Currently, nothing. Had some audio issues with calls in Slack which don't present when using the new huddle feature, so we do that instead.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Slack is great! One minor issue, but overall really enjoy using it for my team communication

Reviewed on 25/12/2021

Overall, I really enjoy Slack in my first career role, and I love the teambuilding it fosters with the emojis we can use for each other, like inside jokes.

Pros

Right off the bat, I really like the fact that you can have multiple different emojis and even create your emojis; it sounds minor and dumb, but it's really good for morale and teambuilding. Besides that, being able to Zoom call teammates for quick/impromptu help is a great feature, and lastly it's easy to see who needs to communicate with me ASAP.

Oh yeah, I like that it integrates nicely with other software like Google Drive, so I can see who needs to collaborate with me on certain tasks, and also grant access/request access quickly.

Cons

I really like Slack overall, I think I don't really have any complaints on it. The only thing I can think of is when a teammate decides to reply to one of my messages directly, it creates a thread where that specific conversation can continue (so it doesn't jam up like a group conversation). The only issue though is so far, I can't find a way where Slack will notify me that a thread has happened. So sometimes I may miss important replies or information because I didn't know someone replied directly to a message and that a thread was created.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Keeps us in constant communication

Reviewed on 10/12/2021

I stay in contact with my coworkers (and friends) and it's always so easy.

Pros

Slack is visually pleasing - I like that you can upload custom reactions and make it fun for everyone involved

Cons

Slack is great, but it's not quite as all-encompassing as Microsoft Teams.

Too expensive for what you get

Reviewed on 7/01/2022

Pros

Better than Google Chat, but that's the only thing that I "like" about it

Cons

Everything. It's UX is horrible, very easy to get lost, and the pricing wow, it cost more Gsuite just for the small feature of chatting

Amadeusz B.

Great app for communication in a team

Reviewed on 11/01/2022

Pros

It is very easy to learn, it's very popular, used in many companies, has plenty of integrations

Cons

Sometimes it has big lags and crashes, but nothing more

Samantha M.

Slack offers seamless Communication across the organisation and value for money

Reviewed on 25/10/2021

Overall Slack is a great platform for teams looking for seamless communication across the organisation and value for money.

Pros

Slack is one of the best platforms available for team communication. After using it for almost 3 years now, it provides our organisation with real-time and seamless communication and offers the most value for your money. Through Slack, you can instant message your team for a quick ask or direct message a specific member for any questions. You can also share files easily by uploading or you even connect your Google Drive/Dropbox to share file links. You can also have fun communicating using emoji's or just share fun GIF's to your team.

The free version offers all the features needed for team communication but if you want additional productivity features to level up your communication like communicating with outside vendors on your workspace, then you can definitely opt for getting paid plan. Slack is a very intuitive platform and user friendly.

Cons

Slack is a great tool for communication across teams but it does not offer any project management features.

Magic tool for remote work communication

Reviewed on 18/10/2021

Love it-Hope to use slack regardless of where I end up throughout everyday life. May even use it for individual utilize and can undoubtedly make bunch visits with companions,

Pros

Slack makes informing proficient and puts together messages into various channels. It is extremely helpful to private message just as make gatherings. Moreover, records are saved and filed for simple access. I likewise enjoyed the usability and capacity to work together with anybody in your association.

My most loved uses out of the product

1.) Unlimited number of channels-Public/Private

2.) Ability to make shapes that get distributed to explicit channels

3.) Love utilizing the/remind piece so I can get pings about undertakings requiring finish or a straightforward subsequent update

4.) You can have some good times and tweak. For instance: We have a 'Jokes' channel that the leeway bot will make you wisecracks on the off chance that you ask 'bot make me a father quip'- It's astounding

Cons

Difficult to think of any as a client yet heres a shot:

1.) The limitless assortment of channels makes the high opportunities to get steady pings in case somebody @'s you in a channel.

2.) You get dependent and wind up using your organization correspondence application 'Slack' off hours and simply signing on as though it were a web-based media page.

I disdained the failure to make a public gathering "private" after it's creation. Would incidentally slack and my. messages would just come through on my telephone and not work area

Rocket.Chat

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack is really a brand and have some valuable feature for remote work.
Carmel R.
  • Industry: Insurance

Innovative Tool for Team Building!

Reviewed on 9/10/2021

Overall I really enjoy slack! I prefer the desktop version over the web version. The desktop version allows quicker access! Also the direct message feature is important feature in slack that I use. Often at times sensitive message have to be share with an individual rather than the group. Also the emoji's are plentiful selection! I love the mass variety and options available!

Pros

The greatest thing I like about slack is the ability to create different channels to assist on different topics , groups, and teams within the organization! I also like the accessibility features! You can access Slack from virtually any device! I travel a lot and this feature is extremely important!

Cons

The software features can take some time to get use to if you have no computer experience. For me my biggest challenge was learning on how to use the alerts and notification features within the program. But in fairness I was able to grasp everything within a few days. So not that long at all.

Alexandros B.

A great collaboration and communication platform for teams - even young aged ones

Reviewed on 30/09/2021

Coaching a team of 10-15 children from 12 to 15 can be quite challenging. However, we have been able to incorporate Slack in our day to day work. All of our communication is in Slack, independent of Facebook etc and the children had no problem with it. Great features, easy creation of subgroups and sharing. Overall great software and I probably one of the only options offering these kind of feature for free and so well integrated.

Pros

I love the easy creation of team channels for different topic, and the message threads. I honestly find it very difficult to use a platform without this feature any more. Not needing to spam the whole team with a smaller conversation is great, especially for younger teams. Also third party integrations is a feature I use all the time, mostly Google drive and simple poll for now.

Cons

Sometimes the notifications on my phone don't work very well and i occasionally have some complaints from third party apps (which has little to do with Slack though), like not being able to edit polls from simple poll etc.

Kavya S.
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Slack is one of those products that has no direct competitor because they're so good

Reviewed on 23/09/2021

I've used Slack in multiple arenas--as an employee of a young startup, a researcher at a large academic institution, and as a member of student clubs/organizations. In each of these environments, Slack was a terrific way to collaborate with my team. We considered Microsoft Teams and other similar environments, but Slack was always the clear choice.

Pros

The things I love about slack: single sign-on for multiple workspaces, the 'magic link' to sign in with your email, the custom animated emojis (this seems silly but it's become a hallmark of one of my slack workspaces and my team enjoys them!), the ease of creating a new workspace and adding channels/teams, and the way we can quickly share files. I don't use many of the integrations in Slack but from what I've seen in workspaces that aren't managed by me, they work seamlessly and effectively.

Cons

I mentioned this elsewhere as well, but there are some issues with real-time synchronization; if I get an alert on my computer and open it, there is still a popup number on all my other devices that remains until I physically open slack on each device. This isn't a huge issue but it is very irritating when you constantly have a notification on the app.

Microsoft Teams and Anywhere365
Ryleigh S.

Much better than Hipchat

Reviewed on 23/09/2021

Overall, Slack is my favorite communication tool I've used. My company used Hipchat prior to Slack and we all rejoiced when the switch was made. It's more intuitive and much more customizable.

Pros

I like how I can set my own color themes and pick my notification sound. I have access to all the Apple emojis as well as Slack's fun emojis to set a status. The developers in my company have created new emojis as well and those are fun to use. Slack is the easiest way – and I have several tools at my disposal for this including Google Meet, Zoom and Uberconference/Dialpad – to do an audio call, video call or screen share with one other person. I prefer to use Google Meet for meetings with several people, but my go-to is slack for a call with just one other person. The pencil tool to highlight something is so handy when someone is sharing their screen with me. When on a call, the little phone emoji appears next to my name so others know that I'm on a call and can't respond right away.
I like being able to respond to a message in a thread too. My company has a channel for everyone in the company and the notification can get out of hand if lots of people are responding back and forth. But threads simplify that and make it so I can respond to a message in a thread versus the entire company seeing it. They can see the thread if they click on it, but it requires an extra step.
I also love the shortcuts for sharing gifs from giphy, setting reminders and others.
Oh, and setting notification preferences is amazing. I have my Slack set to only receive notifications during certain hours during the day so I'm not getting them all through the night and before the next workday starts.

Cons

I don't like that I can't create a Slack channel on my own. My company has it set up that only the admins can create new public and/or private channels. I can create a group to direct message with, but that's it. If I want a channel created, I have to go to the admin. I think this is more of a gripe for my company making that rule and not a Slack thing, though.
I also wish I could blur my background or set a fun background like you can in Google Meet and Zoom.

Kaushik C.

Review of Slack

Reviewed on 13/09/2021

Slack is the fitting programming for little, medium, or enormous organizations, this product is equipped for adjusting to any workspace and permits all areas to keep up with wide correspondence that assists them with having a superior sharing of data and information vital. Its talk channels are truly steady, it has an ideal interface that is extremely simple to utilize and very agreeable. The visit channels are exceptionally finished, permitting you to move a wide range of records and offer any picture with the individuals from the talk channels. It doesn't make any difference in case Slack is in the venture area, or in the Sales area, it will likewise get noteworthy outcomes execution, arranging, and work correspondence.

Pros

The fundamental component that I love about Slack is the part beneath the principle board, where I can get to uninitiated messages, explicit strings of discussions and furthermore gives me admittance to every one of the notices that have been during my vacation . Moreover, I additionally have a perception of the messages saved in this segment, so I have everything in one spot, everything exceptionally coordinated.

Cons

Slack's inquiry framework is one of the provisions that doesn't work effectively. This inquiry framework has a long defer when I embed a word in the pursuit, it consumes a large chunk of the day to play out the hunt, what's more, it doesn't show every one of the consequences of the looked through word, it just shows the most extraordinary and latest outcomes.

• Industry: Medical Devices

Best Team Communication Tool on the Market

Reviewed on 18/09/2021

Fantastic, smooth and enjoyable - Slack is a powerful team communication tool with integrations to expand its reach and gather all of your notifications in one place!

Pros

Easy to use direct message, comment threading and channel topic separation - the ultimate communication tool that will help your organisation scale online at speed. It's fun to use, full of GIF and Emoji related acknowledgement styles - bringing communication into the 21st century.

Cons

It can take a while to learn how to automate your functions, short cuts and features (reminders etc) - this could be sped up with better training and a clearer user experience.

Microsoft 365

Reasons for Choosing Slack

We wanted a better way of mentioning, discussing and segmenting our workload into specific conversations or topics.

WhatsApp

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack has the best of all worlds.
Meghan R.

Great for teams at the workplace

Reviewed on 6/09/2021

I have had many benefits using slack. For example, increased communication between team members and they are more willing to communicate using this tool. It is very interactive and can be fun in a way for our team as it is a very easy tool to use.

Pros

I have used this software since I was in college. It was used for group projects and to communicate with our fellow colleagues. Slack makes it so easy to instantly send files and documents without the hassle of going back and forth with uploading them to emails and hoping they deliver. Slack is great in my current workplace as we have many real estate agents who need to share information. This allows us to avoid massive group texts and have everyone in one place. It makes our work much easier and more organized. I especially like how we can break off into smaller conversations if it only requires certain people. Amazing tool.

Cons

I honestly can’t think of many things I don’t like. One suggestion I think that would make this software better is being able to see what time someone sees a message and who those people are who have read the messages. Cause that way I know who has seen it and who hasn’t. This can allow us to communicate better by knowing who is informed and who isn’t yet.

Microsoft Teams and Trello

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We chose slack instead because most of the team was already familiar with slack and how it works.

Slack is complex, but the best option currently available

Reviewed on 28/08/2021

Overall I Slack is a good tool, but it can be so much better by making it more simple/friendly to use and by improving the tagging mechanism there.

Pros

I like the fact that it is an internal team communication tool where all discussions are labeled under one "channel".

Cons

The tagging/and notifications. We miss a lot of sent messages there for some reason and I blame the tagging/notification algorithm of the software.

Google Workspace

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Because we were looking for a more productive tool than emails.

Gmail

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We've been recommended to use Slack by many of our friends and eventually decided to stick to their recommendation.

Robust tool that's so much more than instant messaging

Reviewed on 26/08/2021

The fact that my team is 100% remote and has been for 3+ years but can still be very efficient is in large part due to Slack. We're still able to communicate and make decisions even with a dispersed team. It's such an integral part of our team at this point, I can't imagine doing without it.

Pros

I've used Slack for several years now and at this point, can't remember how I communicated with team members before. We are a completely remote team and Slack allows us to quickly reach out to colleagues to discuss issue, socialize, share files, and much more. I think a lot people on my team enjoy the emoji options and the ability to group message and create channels allow for a lot of flexibility for multi-member communication. Slack offers a wide variety of features, like snoozing, scheduling, and setting up notifications, and they continue to add to their feature set regularly.

Cons

Managing permissions and settings around channels can be confusing. I've created channels only to realize that I needed to set it up differently and then not have the permissions to make the needed change (or that the change isn't an option and you'll just have to delete the channel and start all over). Also, if you are a member of multiple workspaces, it can be easy to miss a notification or message.

Muhammad daud S.

The great team collaborative tool to manage and share

Reviewed on 24/08/2021

Slack is unique to provide bots, channels and options with commands. It gives the usability within our team to monitor logs and alerts which is our favourite aspect of this product. We also chat with team and arrange meetings including screen share which makes it easier for us to interact with the team on timely projects

Pros

Slacks work as a great tool for Developers and IT Team especially in an organization. With the built in tools and API's, we can enable our system and server alerts and logs to come through Slack notification. It makes life easier to browse through the Logs on slack and search rather than on the device itself. It has great usability with team collaboration, file sharing and meetings

Cons

Slack use lot of resources to run including RAM/CPU due to which it requires a good hardware to affectively work.

Sourabh S.

Slack makes business communication easy, efficient and engaging

Reviewed on 7/08/2021

I have enjoyed every bit of using slack, it gives me a feeling of using a robust yet state of the art communication platform. Hats off to the folks at slack, keep the good work going !!

Pros

It has carved a new segment in business communication and remote collaboration. Right now it is the gold standard as far as combining email and chat go. The User Interface is peppy and fun. The User Experience is very intuitive and efficient. We can edit messages that were sent without much noise. Love the slackbot as well it is very effective if used correctly. There are some really cool geeky features like Marvin etc which add the much needed spice to the remote work environment.

Cons

I haven't seen/used a native audio or video calling feature on slack, there are some advantages of having 3rd party video conferencing integration support but an inbuilt audio and video calling would have made this an absolute front runner in its segment. There should be a feature to notify when someone has logged in back to slack.

Stephanie S.

My experiences using Slack for the past 3 years

Reviewed on 14/08/2021

Overall, it's been a great tool since joining the tech industry in 2018. It's made communication really easy as well as being able to keep track of the communication. It is definitely my go-to communication tool for teams.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use, if it's been set up correctly that is. I like that I can organize my channels into specific categories to make my workflow smoother and easier to navigate through it all. The integrations with Google Docs, Google Calendar, or our company's ATS have made things easier as well. Also being able to set notification settings for each channel also allows me to mute the channels that aren't priorities, or ensure I'm notified for channels that definitely are. I also really enjoy the search function to be able to look for previous communication. Likewise, I like that I can DM myself as this functions like a personal notebook for me. Likewise, being able to emoji messages saves a lot of time in terms of aknowledging/reactions.

Cons

I definitely am not using Slack to its full capacity, but I don't know what I'm missing out on as it's not clear to me what more I could be using to make my life and work easier. Every now and then the desktop app doesn't want to load and I'm stuck with a blank screen and then I need to make use of the web app. For our package, that we're limited to only 5 set status' can feel a bit limiting to me at times. When creating DM message groups, I'd like to be able to add someone to it without losing the whole message thread or having to create a new group, but I haven't found a way to do that.

Andrew K.

Great Internal Communication Tool

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

Overall, Slack offers a wide variety of features and customizations at a very reasonable price. The service availability has been very reliable, and the platform continues to release new updates to improve their portfolio of service offerings. For companies that rely on instant messaging for both internal and external communication, I would highly recommend this service.

Pros

Slack is incredibly easy set up and deploy. The Settings and Administration dashboard is very intuitive and easy to maneuver, making onboarding and offboarding new members a very quick process. Slack has API integrations with a lot popular, commonly used software services such as Google, JIRA, etc., which allows users to monitor a larger spectrum of notifications within a single platform. The message service is also relatively customizable, which allows you to add both fun and productive features to what would otherwise be a monotonous instant messaging tool.

Cons

Slack does not current offer advanced features for content organization. Individuals topics or groups need to be separated into channels, but you cannot add subdirectories to those channels for more granular organization. This results in an excessive number of Slack channels that need to be maintained and monitored on a regular basis, creating disorganization. Slack also has below average phone and video quality when compared to competing services such as Zoom and Google Meet. I often experience issues with bluetooth headphone connectivity when using these features.

Google Hangouts

Reasons for Choosing Slack

We needed something more reliable and with more robust features.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack had the best overall service offering.