Datadog Reviews

Datadog

Write a Review!
Cloud-Scale Monitoring Platform For Dev, Sec, and Ops teams.

4.1/5
4.5/5
4.2/5
4.2/5

Mauricio
Mauricio

Great platform for logs analysis and cloud monitoring

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

Choosing to use Datadog made my work so much easier to accomplish. The logs analysis is one of the best thing that I can have in order to monitor my projects performance and health. This tool performs well and it is really useful. Real time logging works well. Definitely a must have.

Pros

I think that the best features that Datadog has is that you can track and follow logs in real time, something really important to have if your project is live. I like the idea of creating custom views of sets of logs (with custom filters, data parsing and a lot more) and that you can share them with your team.

Cons

It is a bit complicated to set for the first time. Is not quite easy to use or know at first about all the available features that Datadog has. Interface is tricky and can be a blocker sometimes. Following that, if your fields are not mapped in the right way, filters are not that useful.

Matthew
  • Industry: Consumer Services

DataDog is key component of our engineering stack!

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Initially we had purchased DataDog to get some basic observability and to lift our logs into a central location. Quickly we began leveraging there additional features to gain deeper insights, better monitoring, and to speed up troubleshooting. DataDog is now a cornerstone of our software stack and everyone from engineers up and into DevOps/SREs use this on a day-to-day basis.

Pros

The software can scale with the business needs. You can start with basic features or leverage many as you like (for $$) to gain deeper insights. Engineers once onboarded use it heavily to spot issues or troubleshoot more obscure bugs both in production and development.

Cons

You often need to review usage and costs. Misconfigurations, migration projects (where legacy + new infrastructures are required), integrations which may cause double reporting need to be observed to prevent run-away spend.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

We chose DataDog due to extensive feature set and existing product knowledge within the engineering team.
Aron
  • Industry: Philanthropy
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Endless Sales calls

Reviewed on 2/02/2024

Pros

Nothing. I haven't and won't use them because their Sales team is so hyper aggressive.

Cons

DataDog got my cell phone number and that's when it all went down hill. For months they've called me — sometimes extremely early in the morning at time zone inappropriate times — to attempt to get our business.

Just this morning, they called starting at 8am not once, not twice, but three times in a row each from different numbers. I've asked them to stop. I've begged them to stop. I've spoken with managers. I did so again this morning! But I've lost hope that I'll ever land on a do not call list because I'm convinced they don't have one.

The product, frankly, looks good. It's something I'd considered using. But their Sales team is so ridiculously aggressive — who calls someone three or four times in a row from different numbers every five minutes at 8am? — that I will never, ever use them as a vendor. And if you value your sanity, never express even the most vague amount of interest to these folks because apparently they will never stop relentlessly calling you. To say that their Sales team has left a bad taste in my mouth is an understatement.

Laura

Powerful and flexible

Reviewed on 22/02/2023

We can connect traces, logs and events on our infrastructure. We can follow every HTTP request that arrives at our API to the individual services. If errors or other events occure we can see them, as they are connected with each request / trace. This helped us a lot in finding bottlenecks in our microservice architecture

Pros

I really like that datadog offers a free tier to get startet with it. It helped building a net of monitoring around our servers and services. We have implemented a wide collection of (they call it synthetic tests) that we use as an continuous integration test suite. We even can monitor the performance of different application versions.

Cons

Even if their locally installed agent on our servers is very flexible and can collect so many information, the configuration via YAML files is difficult to start with. The learning curve here is pretty steep in the beginning.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

The possibilities to make evaluations were much better back then
Chris

Datadog is great but expensive

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Please reduce the price gap between committed vs on-demand usage, or come up with some other ways to address it. Our on-demand cost varies so much and I get asked by finance way too often.

Pros

-Best user experience-Unified view of all metrics. It is a lifesaver when troubleshooting performance issues-A broad range of product offerings

Cons

-Expensive!-The pricing model isn't as flexible as it should be. You can only adjust your yearly contract 3 times per year.-Expect to spend more time managing costs than you would like.

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

The old New Relic was very slow, and the user experience was horrible. I heard that New Relic one is better.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

I used Datadog at a couple of companies in the past, and I always had a great experience with it.
Paulo
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Among the top 3 server and application monitoring solutions

Reviewed on 2/02/2023

It provides good and detailed info both on server monitoring metrics as well as on the application monitoring options.The experience with Datadog is excellent and, if you choose it, you are not losing anything in regard to the alternatives (the only exception is if you have the expertise to deploy open source solutions yourself).

Pros

Generous free plan with detailed information both on server and application monitoring.

Cons

Nothing unusual. Being a paid platform, it naturally set limits on its free plan (fair) but, for this reason, you may prefer the responsibility to deploy an open source alternative (to remove those limits) instead of upgrade to a paid plan.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

When using Datadog, I chose it instead of New Relic because of its more generous free plan. But since then, the competition between them seems to have intensified, and currently the free plans of both platforms are very similar.
Jeff
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Datadog is awesome!

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Been great. I wish we could onboard across all Yahoo, but the cost is too high for all engineering to benefit.

Pros

Datadog is intuitive, easy to configure, and easy to use.

Cons

The cost for Datadog is too expensive.

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

Couldn't handle scale or cloud applications.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

We needed something immediately to get off our homegrown solution. We are still doing pocs with other vendors (Splunk, dynatrace) due to cost.
ryan

DataDog, good for modern apps

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

Pros

It is easy to provision and integrates into modern applications

Cons

For basic monitoring of our legacy solutions, the software is to expensive

LogicMonitor

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

Looking for a way to monitor our modern software stack.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

Initial pricing, and google integration.
Gaspar
  • Industry: Media Production

Excellent product

We're monitoring our complete stack, migrating from Heroku to AWS

We're monitoring our complete stack, migrating from Heroku to AWS

Pros

Ease of use and integrations. Log management is outstanding, as well as Kubernetes integration

Cons

Lack of a simple Prometheus integration. Agent configuration docs (for specifics) is sometimes hard to find

Grafana

Pricing and capabilities

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

Easy to integrate with, without too much configuration
Krista

Synthetic Testing Rocks!

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Pros

As a non-technical QA person, I needed a tool to help automate tests without a lot of the technical aspects. Datadog allows me to build and schedule tests by clicking through the online version of our tool, making it incredibly simple. It also records what's wrong and allows me to edit the paths at any time if we ever make changes.

Cons

I wish I was able to use this same functionality for our mobile app or even for processes like account creation. Since we push our sign up through a payment portal we're unable to use Datadog in the same was there.

William

Dog eat Dog world

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

DataDog has allowed me to bring Fortune 500 company insights and application monitoring to a early stage startup!

Pros

DataDog is able to ingest and make sense of a complicated cloud application without the developer having to understand the infrastructure or program specifically for it.

Cons

That if I could afford it I would turn on all the features 24/7 and use them all.

Aviram

Monitoring our micro services app with datadog

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

Use it every day, easy to implement

Use it every day, easy to implement

Pros

All in one shop. APM, DB monitoring , synthetic transaction and log analysis

Cons

APM does not work well on nodejs asyc services. Might be hard to track transactions.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

we used new relic in the past 10 years in a former company. We wanted to try someting new and a lower cost
Mark

Observability super powers

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Pros

Being able to funnel AWS CloudWatch logs into Datadog made speed of deployment of Datadog incredibly fast - days instead of weeks.The log searching and faceting are extremely powerful. It's responsive, everything loads fast, and I can find single log lines in seconds.

Cons

Being able to create facets on historical data would be great.When digging into log lines, being able to navigate back to previous lines that we read through would be great too. Sometimes we're clicking around so fast that a log line is long gone. I end up copying the URL and pasting it into a doc so I can refer back to it.

Splunk Enterprise and Papertrail

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

We needed to be able to quickly search and facet logs, and view live logs, and have something that didn't require much more structure than logging out some JSON.
Shervin

Powerfull Tool.

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Very powerful and useful monitoring tool but so complicated to deploy at the first.

Pros

Diligence, details and deep of monitoring all detail.

Cons

capturing every single details, validity of details and more importantly capability to monitor everything!!!

PRTG

PRTG
Richard

Well worth the investment

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Overall, it has been a very pleasant experience in comparison to New Relic, Logic Monitor and AppD.

Pros

It is simple to setup and maintain. Plus the UI is really easy to understand.

Cons

Polling period of the alerts are not short enough. The lowest is every 5 minutes but if a site is down, 5 minutes is too long to wait to see if it is down.

AppOptics

Price and ease of use

LogicMonitor, AppDynamics and New Relic

Must have for your application monitoring and infrastructure management

Reviewed on 4/05/2022

Overall we are using datadog for application performance monitoring on daily basis an it has really helped us resolve application incidents.

Pros

Application performance monitoring, server and database monitoring, dashboards & reporting, proactive incident management

Cons

Sythentic queries are difficult to grasp. Need support for more geographies for application performance Monitoring

AppDynamics

best monitoring tool on the market

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

Pros

I like Datadog APM which help our developer to troubleshoot various deep level issues.

Cons

probably the integration with log management with DD trace with APM, as we have some difficulties link the log injested with trace ID etc but some of logs are not linked with APM. I hope there's a better compatibilities with custom PHP application with APM & Log management

Neyda Jose

Powerful tool for the analysis and monitoring of applications

Reviewed on 20/05/2019

Datadog is a very useful tool because it is known if the applications, servers or hots are working as they should or if not, we will be aware to prevent further damage solving the problem in the shortest time possible.

Pros

This tool called Datadog I love mainly because it is really efficient and very useful because it allows through it you can carry out a monitoring of the performance of applications in a very simple way, being this through the reading of metrics that are really simple to understand and issue very detailed information that is useful to diagnose the cause and thus be able to solve the problem in the shortest time possible, also is available 24/7 so in case of any fault send immediately a mail informing the same and the best thing is that it has a clean interface, intuitive and easy to use without having technical knowledge to manage it.

Cons

One of its drawbacks is that when it is integrated with a large number of tools it can become heavy, which causes the information to be slowed down.

Kyle
Kyle

DataDog is great!

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Pros

We now have billions of logs hitting Data Dog every month. It's a great tool for monitoring and debugging what is going on in the platform. We have alserts setup based on the logging so we are instantly notified of any issues.

Cons

Some of the JSON parsing on nested logs come out a little wonky. We overcame this by adding specific logs from our applications that we can search on.

Yeamin

Datadog is a great Observability+log analysis tool

Reviewed on 15/10/2023

It's a great tool for monitoring, alerting, log analysis and synthetics. Good support for small startup companies as well.

Pros

Ease of integrataion. Both alerts, metrics and log aggregation in one place. Website Synthetics was very useful too.

Cons

Data ingestion cost can be too high at times if not controlled in a granular manner.

Datadog review

Reviewed on 18/01/2023

Pros

I liked the fact that DataDog provides an easy-to-use platform for visualizing, monitoring, and alerting on all my infrastructure metrics. It's very comprehensive and the integrated dashboards allow me to quickly identify any issues. It's also great that it can integrate with other technologies, allowing me to have a complete view of my system.

Cons

I didn't like the complexity of setting up custom dashboards and metrics. It was difficult to find the right combination of settings and tools to get the desired result.

Ashok
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Datadog experience

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

It's a good tool, needs to improve the collaboration of the support team.

It's a good tool, needs to improve the collaboration of the support team.

Pros

Building Dashboards, Observability at the granular level

Cons

Terminology , need to distinguish different resources and not tag them as one

Dynatrace
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great first step for data tracking and incedent monitoring.

Reviewed on 14/10/2021

Pros

I use this tool on a daily basis for handling errors both in our live environment and for testing. It allows me to see where an error may be coming from and follow it through to its source. I could not do my job effectively without datadog

Cons

The filtering of data is not as comprehensive as I would like. I sometimes need to search through the results to find what I need.
Displaying a record in the chronological order is not always perfect and I sometimes don't get the context I want.

DataDog Review

Reviewed on 25/06/2023

I think Datadog is the best observability and monitoring platform out there, I think the only con and thing you have to watch out for is its crazy expensive

Pros

The breath of features you can have under Datadog is truly impressive, everything from Application, Website, Synthetic monitoring is covered under Datadog, so you have all your observability needs on one platform

Cons

Pricing, it can get really expensive monitoring on Datadog.

Grafana, Splunk Enterprise and New Relic

Many integration options and plethora of dashboards and visualizations

Reviewed on 8/04/2019

Dependable and reliable solution.

Dependable and reliable solution.

Pros

Configuring monitoring tools is not always trivial, half of the battle is making sure metrics are flowing. Datadog is very flexible when it comes to sending metrics to their cloud. You can use collectD, statsd, file beats, or the 84523982 other options. Our orchestration software already had an option to enable Datadog collection. Once the data is in place, you need to figure out what metrics are relevant. Datadog has a number of pre-built dashboards tweaked for popular software systems. If you are using something homegrown, they can provide recommendations and optimizations after enough data has been ingested. API and documentation are top notch and we were able to build integrations quite easily.

Cons

Datadog is purely cloud-based system so there's no on-prem option, only SaaS. Depending on your company, this may be a deal-breaker since all of your metrics data is hosted in the cloud. Since it's a SaaS based service, it won't be easy to move data to another service. Occasionally web UI will bog down but it's fairly performant for the most part.