Sarah P.

Great Option for my Creative Business

Reviewed on 23/02/2018

ActiveCollab keeps us organized and on task. It's a great snapshot of our client work at any given point. We have many moving parts, and ActiveCollab allows us to really stay on target with our goals and on task with our clients.

Pros

I own and operate a company that specializes in creative strategy and marketing/PR services and this is a good fit for us. I spent many months and went through quite a few trials researching a software that had as many features combined that we were looking for. We settled on ActiveCollab and we're very happy with them. It's a great option without the price tag and disorganization the later versions that Basecamp brings. I like the customization features as well as the billable categories for tracking and reports. We work with contractors in our business and we like the ability to assign tasks and hide back office items from the client. Their customer service has been very responsive and helpful throughout our set up and we're overall very happy with the product and functionality for our needs. Overall good UX / UI.

Cons

We're finding the reports options are a little bit limited, however it hasn't been a huge issue. We're getting most of the data we need. We really wish we could assign tasks to multiple people, but that seems to be a common theme among these software options. I don't understand why as we have many tasks that are worked on by multiple people. This carries over into the time tracking app. If you aren't assigned a task, it won't show up in the time tracking app for you to track against. However the work around is you can add a time report in the desktop version after the fact to any task regardless of who it assigned to. The budget feature per project is nice, however, we wish we could break it down further by task list. Their great customer service has passed this along to the management and dev team for consideration so fingers crossed it will be coming in an update at some point.

Matthias J.

A sleek yet powerful project management software way above its competition

Reviewed on 9/02/2018

It helps me organize a great number of projects as one-man business without losing more time than necessary.

Pros

It's amazing how flexible AC can be depending on a project's needs. It can serve as a simple reminder list with great speed and simplicity but also get fully blown up for projects involving production teams and clients at once. Compared to its competition it never feels like its dictating you to use it in a certain way, it just hands you a great bunch of options and lets you use them without interference. I use other products like dropbox and dropbox paper too and it all goes together really nicely.
One thing to note is a personal and genuinely helpful customer service, there have been issues and bugs here and there (not many) and in 90% of the cases they were solved within short time.

I think AC is great for freelancers and small project groups working remotely I switched from Basecamp and it was one of a relief.

Cons

I personally don't like the free limitations of users. I know there's a business model behind it but I hate to delete other clients/team members just to make room for someone else.

• Industry: Higher Education

Keeps getting better

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

Pros

Active Collab is efficient, friendly, and structured just right for our team's work. The reporting, activity stream, project, task, and subtask organization are all well-calibrated for daily use to organize work and to report on projects.

Cons

I wish AC integrated with Jira. Our development unit uses Jira, but the complexity means it's a no-go for our unit's daily use. The lack of integration means that sometimes members of our team have to ping-pong between both products, or fail to understand what's happening there. A preview of a Jira ticket in AC would be totally sufficient.

Cinzia M.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

A life changing tool!

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

Overall ActiveCollab makes my life easier.

Pros

Active Collaboration is super intuitive and affordable. Before switching to Active Collaboration a few years ago we used WorkFront and it was an absolute nightmare. After 10 months of getting templates set up and trying to learn how to use them our team was so frustrated that I knew that I wouldn't be renewing that tool for another year. Active Collaboration is so easy to use, it literally takes 10 minutes for me to walk a new team member through the tool when coming onboard. I've learned over the years of project managing that if someone doesn't understand how to use something or its too complicated to input a simple request or comment in, they aren't going use so it, they will default to email or drive-byes. I just don't have that problem with Active Collaboration. I highly recommend it.

Cons

I wish there was a feature that if you change a task date there's an option to move out all the dates at one time.

Damien H.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Fantastic software for project management

Reviewed on 4/11/2019

We have loved activeCollab since version 4. It is a valuable software, which really helps its users on a daily basis and is very flexible in its operation. We greatly appreciate his progress and are reassured about his future. Keep up the good work!

Pros

Very smooth operation in a team. It really helps to share information and make quick and concerted decisions.

Cons

The invoicing module is far too limited. Integration into QBO or other is not really a factor to be taken into account.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Cheap alternative of Basecamp for small team

Reviewed on 7/07/2018

Pros

Timelines.

Cons

Not reactive interface. Terrible iOS app.

Bryan M.
  • Industry: Design

A great project management tool for design studios

Reviewed on 15/05/2018

Pros

We've been using ActiveCollab since version 1. We needed more features and flexibility than other project management systems provided and we also were looking for an invoicing system. ActiveCollab provided all of that in one package and we could buy a license to run on our own server instead of paying monthly fees. This pricing model was very attractive for us along with the extra features to make the system fit our project management workflow, made ActiveCollab an easy choice.

Cons

The mobile app isn't the best. For those who heavily rely on using their project management system on mobile, this might be something to consider. I'm not a fan of the themes in the theme option, but if using the self hosted version, then you could potentially adjust styling to fit your business better.

Mike T.

Feature-rich, flexible project management with great support

Reviewed on 9/02/2018

Flexible, robust project management with great support.

Pros

While some project management systems try to force their own project management paradigms, ActiveCollab allows you the freedom to decide how you will manage your projects. Kanban? Click a button. Gannt? Click a button.

You can easily manage milestones, tasks, files, discussions, time-tracking et al. however needed and have every feature you'll need or want available.

Their support and development has been amazing. Quick replies, quick changes to the core product for quality-of-life requests.

Cons

Rich text could use some work as adding formatted content will sometimes yield awful results.

Needs a better way to sort/view items in "My Work" based on tags and deadlines e.g., view all tasks due that week or all view all time based on job types.

A responsive design and more fluid UI would also be a welcome change.

Jona B.

Great tool to work with both clients and developers in the same projects

Reviewed on 27/01/2018

Operational control of projects

Pros

Enables us to work efficiently on multiple tasks, with multiple users across multiple projects and multiple geographies. It's not too complicated for non-technical users and not too simple when dealing with technical issues with developers. Also can be used many different types of projects.

Cons

We would like more elaborate options for "operational analytics". The reports are ok, but we still have to do too much manual manipulation of data to get what we want. We would also welcome SMS/Text alerts and integration with services such Ghost inspector (e.g. automatic ticket generation).

Tim B.
  • Industry: Animation

Great Help for Project Management

Reviewed on 12/03/2019

Overall I am having a positive experience with Active Collab and have been using it for over 2 years and plan to continue to utilise the software moving foward.

Pros

Active Collab is a very easy tool to use that allows for the safe and secure sharing of materials between remote stakeholders. The tool provides a great forum for online discussions and file sharing, enabling our company to work seamlessly with clients all around the world.

Cons

Recently I have come across some bugs with the uploading of files which has been frustrating when trying to share deadline senstive files with remote clients.

Tomasz C.

One of the best project management software

Reviewed on 9/02/2018

Pros

+ faaast
+ intuitive, easy to use
+ almost everything that small company need in one place (projects, tasks, time tracking, expenses)
+ invoicing
+ 3rd party integrations (stripe, xero) <3
+ did I mention that is fast ;)

Highly recommended, not only for software development.

It's highly configurable and as most of the things that you have to work on is "like a project" - you can use it everywhere.

Cons

After over two years, I see that lack of simple crm is probably only missing feature. You can use internal notes, but I don't feel it now.

Gleb M.

All great, just misses some "sprint planning mode" :)

Reviewed on 6/01/2017

We use activecollabe every day for project management, but now when we paln sprints and use scrum, we had to look for some other sof for planing sprints, if such feature will be available in active colab out of the box, would be just awesom! :)

Something there you can see all open tasks from all projects and you could drag them to back log of the sprint and than drag over to sprint todo or done or what ewer there can be (kind of list/kanban view) and of course setting a spring length and so on :)
This is one of the most missing features for us :(

Pros

Easy of use, all in one place, we like invoices a lot!

Cons

Missing sprint planing option, a lot!! :) we now use scrumdo.com for sprintplaning :( would be coll to have such functionality inside activecollab. this will make activecollab bes projectmanagement tool out there!

Dwight Z.

Could of been great

Reviewed on 9/10/2018

It's run's our agency and we want scheduling integrated but, it's not being supported.

Pros

New version is clean and nice, posting old data from hosted versions is simple. Almost hit's it out of the park fopr use in any ad agency.

Cons

It's no longer supported. We looked to invest a bit of $ to move from a self-hosted to their cloud for AC3 and the support response was crickets. They have a scheduler but, it is not for hourly limits, jsut due dates. If you are trying to schedule against hour constraints you'll need to look elsewhere.

Miranda P.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

It has helped me and my team become more efficient and organized, so we can focus on the work...

Reviewed on 6/07/2018

I now manage my time better. I have more control over what my team does and the quality of the work they produce. I can easily generate reports so I have an overall picture on how we're doing on different projects. It helped me be more efficient so I have time to focus on quality control.

Pros

It's a flexible tool that can adapt to different work situations. Its uses range from simple task lists to time management; so you always have a clear view of what you have to do. But you don't have to go at it alone, since ActiveCollab makes it easy to work with other people. It doesn't matter if you are working in the same company or if it's a collaboration with other professionals. Or even, if you want to keep your clients in the loop, letting them know how you're doing in their particular project. ActiveCollab provides a scenario where all of that can happpen. As it is said in the name collaboration is at the core of what this software does.

Cons

It can become complex. Since it's a multifaceted app, it carries a certain degree of dificulty when you are first using it. Though with use it becomes simpler, since you become acustomed to its use.

Ivan V.

Easy to use tool that works smoothly.

Reviewed on 9/02/2018

Our company's organization and productivity increased greatly.

Pros

ActiveCollab is really easy to use and on top of all it works really fast and smooth. We used to use JIRA for our project and task management but compared to it, AC is way faster and really better overall for managing a lot of smaller projects. Also, the option choose to see task lists in Lists or Columns is an amazing feature that gives you a lot of flexibility.

Cons

When the internet connection is not good, some pages seem to never load. Also, sometimes the Timer application is a bit too generous when logging work hours.

Christopher M.

Streamlines, Simplifies, Organizes

Reviewed on 10/04/2019

In a small ad agency with an uneven, but often frenetic, pace, it is very helpful to have one place to go to find any answer to any job. This depends on the quality of information put into it, but on the whole, it has solved a lot of workflow problems for us.

Pros

It helps me stay organized and keeps me from having to bother coworkers with questions.

Cons

It has a lot more features than I use, and there is a bit of a learning curve, but it's really just old habits dying hard.

Jean-christophe H.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Everything you need to run projects and operations made easy and effectively

Reviewed on 8/02/2018

Effectiveness, cost effective, proffesionalism

Pros

ActiveCollab is an all in one solution for all your projects and operations needs. ActiveCollab make a business run smooth, efficient and effective. It is very user friendly too! Communication with colleague is made simple and practical.

Cons

I think it could use a little upgrade in the visual aspect. It's kind of borring to look at. It could be more collorfull!

Rodrigo afonso D.

ActiveCollab has improved project management and teamwork significantly.

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

Project management became easier and enjoyable. It also improved tracking the progress of every project and be aware of deadlines. Not only we can monitor our own achievements but also we are aware of everyone's current status which helps team collaboration and synchronism.

Pros

I love ActiveCollab attractive look&feel and all its features and integrations.
My company used another project management tool before ActiveCollab and it was defintely not the same thing. The self-hosted version pays for itself due to the increase of security and privacy, and the setup process is really straight forward.

Cons

There's nothing to dislike on ActiveCollab, but I'd really love to see a built-in chat feature with group chats generated automatically for each team.

Has very much helped our team to put structure on projects and timelines.

Reviewed on 9/02/2018

Pros

This is an easy to use project management system, which suits our small agency well. It is great for tracking the progress and edits on tasks within projects and campaigns, although some functionality could still be bettered.

Cons

Very annoying that tasks can only be allocated to one person as we have multiple people working on one task, that would need it on their 'My Work' section. We use the commenting feature to include everyone, and the subscribers feature, but it doesn't show in people's My Work tab which does cause us some problems.

Vladimir D.

Easy to use but not perfect

Reviewed on 26/05/2019

Pros

We use this CRM for internal projects to manage SEO and dev process at a digital marketing company. Yes, it is easy to use and you don't have to spend a week to learn how to use it.

Cons

A lot of small bugs! Search doesn't work as expected. User can't choose billable/non-billable hours by default.

seamless and simple.

Reviewed on 6/02/2018

Pros

Excellent project management, excellent CX, and very useful time billing function that allows us to bill hours by project and monitor by client and team member.

Cons

Their invoicing comes through a third party and is not always intuitively displayed. However this is administrative at best and not a big deal.

Kevin Z.

After trying out many different project management tools, we have chosen Active Collab.

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

We optimized the workflows in our team because now everyone can keep track on what the others are doing. Its also very helpful for our external employees.

Pros

Its easy to use, user friendly and has a lot of features. I like the time tracking feature, because you can also assign hours to user created task within a project.

Cons

That there is no visual project timeline where you can see who worked on which feature in a specific time. Also the Desktop Timer App is not good in my opinion (macOS).

Rafael A.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great piece of software! It helps our company to be more efficient and respond quicker to...

Reviewed on 16/02/2018

Pros

How easy is to create projects and tasks and assign various people to the jobs. We really appreciate the flexibility and being a web tolls is a great benefit.

Cons

Sometimes it is not easy to find what we want using the search feature, maybe some extra filter could be added.

Ruslan B.

Most convenient tool for short to mid-term projects

Reviewed on 9/03/2019

We've been using Activecollab for almost three years now and have no plans of switching

Pros

General ease of use. Activecollab is a very straightforward tool that beats competitors in cleanness and structure.

Cons

Lack of adequate task numbering, poor reports system.

Kasumi C.

This combines a lot of familiar project management systems which makes me feel comfortable

Reviewed on 6/07/2018

Project Management, less miscommunication, organization, work empathy, reports, more transparency

Pros

switching the view from lists to columns. It has drastically helped me in figuring out the status of a project

Cons

The template feature needs to be more detailed because right now it's a little too simple. It's also visually could use a designer's touch, not the UX but just the UI and overall look.