Deputy Reviews

4.7/5 (83 reviews)
Jon B.

Deputy - We love the product

Reviewed on 27/09/2016

We have been using Deputy for about 15 months now and it is a great product that just keeps getting better and better with regular updates and new features. Comprehensive functionality and beautifully packaged to make it easy and intuitive for all users which is key to ensure staff adopt it well. We have used others but in my opinion it is the perfect product for our business.

Pros

It is a very friendly and intuitive product. We don't need to train new users, just add them to the system and it takes them through the basics quickly and easily. We just don't get questions from new staff on how to use it, clear simple instructions on a very intuitive platform just makes it easy to start new staff.

Cons

Very little. Would like better holiday tracking reporting but really not much else.

Response from Deputy

Hey Jon!

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback, and we're so happy that you love Deputy as much as we do! In addition, it speaks volumes that your employees feel the same way. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions in the future, and we look forward to watching your business grow!

Happy Scheduling,

Team Deputy

Natalie H.

Accessible and Easy Use

Reviewed on 28/03/2019

I can be on the go and document what I am doing and show that I am on location if needed. It helps me keep track of what clients I met when, and is especially helpful when writing reports and dates are needed.

Pros

I liked that my coworker who was blind could easily navigate the app using her iphone and text-to-speech. I also like that I can look back at dates and see I did that day, as well as my hours total count for the week. The hours total count is a change that I requested to the app and the updated showed in a reasonable amount of time. The design is easy to use with the iphone app, and I like that the categories can be designed to fit your business tasks for streamlined documentation of how much time is spent doing a certain task. Also, you can put notes to detail what you were doing during that time period which is crucial for staff that are changing tasks all day.

Cons

Sometimes the app will glitch when putting in an end time and after changing the end time from the current time it will default several times back to the current time instead of the end time you want.

Matthew L.

Staff management made super easy

Reviewed on 27/07/2016

I use deputy every single day to keep tabs on my employees who work in two different locations. Scheduling and managing my employees couldn't be easier. Deputy is a very easy to use software used to track data, time sheets, schedules and communicate with each other.

Pros

I love the reports that deputy keeps track of. Every report is meticulously categorized and organized, which is a complete life saver. Instead of spending hours sorting through time sheets and data, deputy has all that for me in a single click! Payroll is super simple.
I also love the way that I can communicate with 40+ employees through the news feed. I use the news feed for important company announcements and changes which is helpful because everyone has to be on the deputy software, so everyone will see the messages. My employees also interact through deputy among regarding work such as schedules, work processes etc.

Cons

More functionality with the iOS app. I work a lot through my phone and I would be great if I didn't need to hop on my laptop to access everything I need on deputy.

Laura D.

Deputy Staff Schedule Module

Reviewed on 5/12/2018

Pros

Deputy provides a fully functional scheduling module we use for our Veterinary practice. Our current software did not include time clock/ scheduling features. Deputy is a user friendly program that handles our paid time off requests, time clock functions, and work area assignments. Deputy has advanced security features such as photo capture at clock in, location of clock in, and password protected access. While providing these features, it also is user friendly.

Cons

Customer support is typically via chat, and their hours of operation do not always reflect US time zones.

Amanda josalene W.

Excellent value for the money; works great with my business.

Reviewed on 11/03/2019

Overall, Deputy helped me to relieve stress that comes along with managing payrolls and attendance among a team of employees. I have been able to effectively organize all of my time-sheets without issue, and will continue to use Deputy for my business.

Pros

The price is excellent and you receive a quality, well-rounded software that allows you to effectively manage payroll and attendance sheets among employees. This took a lot of stress off my back as for a while I was doing everything manually, by hand, and then having to input all of this into a spreadsheet on my computer. Deputy helped make this process 1000x easier, and the price point didn't put even the slightest dent into our business's budget. Within Deputy, you can also use it as a platform to communicate with your employees as well, which is a perk if you need a software that allows you to do such as well.

Cons

I don't have any cons. Everything runs as it should!

Deputy Is Perfect for Our Small Business

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Pros

I like that the Deputy UI is really easy to navigate. There is a lot of information held in Deputy and it could easily be set up non-user friendly, but I find that I have no trouble navigating all of the different hierarchies of information to get to where I need to go. Our staff hasn't had any trouble signing up or jumping in with their schedules. I also really enjoy that it reminds people (and me) when they forget to clock in!

Cons

While I like that I get reminders that people forget to clock in, I often receive them after they've already clocked in, I wish I got a second notice that they in fact did clock in after receiving their notification. This may seem petty, but it can save some leg work (literally).

Natalie O.

No bad until you try to leave

Reviewed on 27/08/2018

I have rarely ever left a negative review in my life but after my recent experience I feel it's almost a responsibility. I closed my business in July. Not having a need for timekeeping I cancelled an account. I deleted all staff and shifts and unsubscribed from this service. I did so before the close of the billing cycle. Since this is a payment in advance service I should have been left with nothing outstanding. I've had demand after demand. I went back into the account to inquire as to why I'm still receiving demands to find that the account was not closed, I was not unsubscribed and although all staff profiles had been deleted i was still listed as having 5 staff. I updated my contact information, emailed Deputy stating that I had unsubscribed using the instructions in the help files and heard nothing more. Then the demands started again. The worst however was having to deal with their customer service rep on live chat who'd leave me sitting on live chat for 5-7 minutes at a time only to come back and claim he was leaving me hang there on purpose so "I'd calm down" He seemed to take particular exception to me insisting on a chat transcript. Given that I'm so furious with this company and how it allows its reps to treat customers, customer service rep's strategy didn't work. I got my chat transcript in the end but only by copying and pasting the entire thing myself. He wasn't too keen on his replies being included in the chat transcript. Utterly disgusting.

Pros

It's cheap. It's not an expensive service but the old adage you get what you pay for applies here.

Cons

Customer service is deplorable. I've never in my lifetime of dealing with various services, apps, etc ever dealt with a customer service rep as badly trained and as unprofessional as I have seen at Deputy.

Response from Deputy

Hi Natalie. We really value your feedback and will share this information with our team. Thank you for your honesty and we look forward to working with you in the future to improve your Deputy experience!

0.0/10
Austin K.

Deputy, An Easy Scheduling Solution

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

I've been using Deputy for 6 months and it's taken a bit of getting used to but has been worth it. Deputy allows me to view which employees are signed in, track hours, change hours, and see where each employee is working on the job site. It also allows me to assign employees to their respective work areas and lets their managers see which hours have been worked. We don't assign pay rates, but use it more for the hour tracking, which it does very well. If you're a small business who is looking for a manageable solution to tracking your employees' hours, look no further than Deputy. The team is also very willing and able to help with any questions you may have and are always looking for suggestions to improve their system.

Pros

Deputy allows me to track all the employees and easily view which hours were worked on which day and by whom.

Cons

Deputy took a bit of learning to get used to. Scheduling employees and rounding times could use a bit of refining.

Daryl S.

Great Scheduling/Timekeeping product!

Reviewed on 22/08/2016

I have reviewed and trial-tested dozens of online scheduling and timekeeping products over the past 7 years. Our company has multiple locations (cost centers) and employees may work in one or more locations. There are very few scheduling products able to handle our situation, and Deputy rose to the top as the one product which outperformed the others.

Pros

Deputy handles multiple Locations and job codes.
Utilizes email, texting, and app based communication (essential for the millenial workforce)
Exceptional product support and response time

Cons

The premium version handles 90% of our wishlist for ideal function at $3.00/user, but has limited access permissions/roles, and VERY limited reports. I understand the enterprise version has many more reports and other features, but and additional $2-$5 dollars per user is too stiff for me.

Response from Deputy

Daryl,

Welcome to Deputy! Thanks so much for the awesome feedback, and we're so grateful to have you as a customer. Your use of our "Locations" feature in Deputy is spot on, and we're happy that our software was able to meet your need. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions in the future!

Happy Scheduling,

Team Deputy

Jeff K.

Incredible Scheduling Software Even Better Customer Support

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

This tool was crucial to help our small skatepark team get organized in scheduling!

Pros

The Team at Deputy is amazing! The Copy schedules tool is great and I love the option to use Deputy to not just schedule but assign tasks and request time off.

Cons

This product has few cons, but one might be that the notes section is to the entire team and not an individual.

Jennifer M.

Dependable employee timesclock and schedule system

Reviewed on 6/12/2018

The program was my favorite scheduling system of all that we used. It saved us time and money overall.

Pros

I liked being able to analyze our employment spending based on our sales. The way they offered it was amazing. Really great features.

Cons

I wish there was some easier ways to clock in and communicate based on some competitor offerings.

7.0/10
Andrew F.

What a time saver - Now I can run my business not my roster.

Reviewed on 23/09/2016

Wow what a difference deputy makes. I decide the roster and who is working based on the availability that they input. I can see who is working where, how many hours and how much cost at a glance. Then if they can't work they arrange a correctly trained replacement. No more last minute panic ring arounds for me. I can even see how engaged my staff are by how long an open shift lasts. Lucky for me sometimes only a few seconds. Payroll integration is great. Approved timesheets are imported into MYOB and I can pay 20 staff in less than an hour end to end. Do yourself a favour and get yourself a Deputy. You won't be sorry.

Pros

It is so easy and integrated into my system.

Cons

the andriod and apple app features are not the same so training new staff depends on their choice of platform.

Deputy is the best human capital administrator I have used

Reviewed on 4/10/2018

It is a great tool that all of our staff use. It is a great tool to manage the casual staff as well. I really recommend it. It is easy to manage the hours as well and make quick changes. It is easy to manage all the staff in different parts of the business.

Pros

It is so easy to use and you can download the app, so you can check the rosters of the staff from any location, you can update with ease and it has never crashed. It is reliable and has no mistakes.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to find your shift to login, but once you use it on a daily basis, it is so easy and effective for our business.

Mark D.

Deputy Application

Reviewed on 21/07/2016

I have been using Deputy for 6 months, it's awesome. I can easily see where staff are, export time sheets seamlessly to QBO. It just has made the scheduling of staff and time sheet records so quick and easy. The team continuous improvements of the package is fantastic, already making an awesome package better. It was easy to setup also. You don't need a degree to figure it out. The support team respond very quickly, within 10 minutes.

Pros

Ease of use. Functions. Reliability, no crashes or weird error messages

Cons

Non

Response from Deputy

Thanks for the love, Mark! Glad you are getting great value and we appreciate the feedback! We love helping our customers make a huge impact on their business.

Sara S.

Time saving and effective tool.

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 27/10/2018

While using it in organization i had fantastic experience with this marvelous solution.

Pros

The best employee scheduling tool that is really easy to use. The great ultimate workforce manager. It is web based advance technology. The most thing I liked about Deputy it is really inexpensive than the other products available in the market. If I talk about the feature they are no doubt remarkable. By using it communication becomes easier. I love the team and support services of this tool that is responsive. Interface is superb.

Cons

There is nothing to tell about the cons. It is a little difficult to let the new staff know about the use of this tool. I do not mean that it is not easy. I do say it user-friendly use product. It has the super functionality.

Ty G.

Great time tracking software

Reviewed on 25/09/2018

Has so far been a great experience with excellent customer support and very easy to use interface for all our users(of all ages).

Pros

Easy to use for everyone. Both on the mobile app and on the computer. No experience with the kiosk version. Very user friendly and 24/7 chat help is great.

Cons

Would like the ability to make it so some users can only login with a computer and some can use the app. Right now its only a global setting and allows everyone to use both. Would be nice if it could be a user by user setting.

A Must Have Scheduling Tool

Reviewed on 5/12/2018

Pros

In a unique transportation market, we have over 150 employees with ever changing schedules, and only a select amount of tools that can be used. Deputy helps us schedule correctly, and in turn, helps our employees get the shifts that they want. We send out email blasts with open shifts, and let them claim them. It makes the process much easier, and everyone involved is happier.

Cons

At this price point, I can't think of any negatives.

Easy to use scheduling App but unimpressed by mobile apps

Reviewed on 14/09/2018

Customer support was amazing through the whole process. I find they tried their best to keep in touch EVERY week to see how we were doing with the app and what we needed help learning.

Pros

Deputy was super easy to use and learn as an administrator of the app when it came to creating my employees schedules and creating timesheets. I really enjoyed the different roles and location features that existed within the app to separate and categorize my retail stores staff by training and the outlets they worked at.

Cons

Unfortunately the learning curve with my employees trying to use the app to clock in and properly edit their timesheets became tedious and time consuming which made it very hard to implement.

Response from Deputy

Thank you so much for your review and feedback! We love hearing your comments about our Customer Support and will share your recommendations with our product team!

5.0/10
Andrew H.

Keeping time made easy

Reviewed on 6/02/2019

Over all my experience has been great, the last couple weeks have gone smoothly and I would recommend this software to anyone.

Pros

I really like this software for taking time. It is very accurate and if your management takes the time to enter it, you can see your scheduled shifts far in advance. I have only been using this for a couple weeks but it seems to be a great improvement on the software we used to use.

Cons

I really have to reach for a con but maybe it would be nice if they put a clock on your screen that gave you live updates on your time. That way you can clearly see how long you have been working without having to try to figure it out. Also it is probably a fault on our end, but the address for my work shows a location in a totally different state, but I am pretty sure I know how to get to work.

Div G.

good product, horrible customer service

Reviewed on 9/01/2019

Pros

Scheduling features are great, export functionality makes the job easier

Cons

Horrible customer service- one agent had so much attitude that it was unbelievable. Also, the API/zapier integrations are not perfect so it gets hard to automate export of data/timesheets

3.0/10

Deputy

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

I truely like using deputy, I have used it with my last jobs and it is best scheduling software i've used in along time

Pros

I like how easy it is to use and make creating a schedule simple.

Cons

The app could be more user friendly when it comes to view messages

Sharmila V.

Deputy - Best time recording software

Reviewed on 24/01/2019

Cost effective, time saving and accurate software to make transparency in payroll

Pros

Easy to access
Handy
Cost effective
Productivity match

Cons

Integration with other software
Notification about software update
internet disconnection notification

A solid HR managment software

Reviewed on 15/01/2019

Pros

I like that it can help me figure out over time for my staff so we are not having to do this manually anymore
The training feature is phenomenal, it quickly allows us to review our employees skillsets and put the best person on any given task.

Cons

I prefer android to be honest and find that this app for this compared to the apple app is lacking.

Full of features, but not exactly what I was looking for

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 21/11/2018

If Deputy could make it easier to translate our complicated schedule to their platform, I would use it again tomorrow.

Pros

I really liked how in-depth the scheduling software was. There is a feature to assign tasks to different users of the software, which is really helpful for event planning or getting big projects done. In my trial use, I received no less than 5 emails and a phone call from their customer service/sales support team making sure I was able to use the software. The time sheet recording is also a really handy feature, as I can keep track of where my team is at with hours.

Cons

Overall, the software didn't have the right features that I needed for my team's scheduling needs. Our work schedule is very unique and it is hard to find any app or program that fully does what we need it to. I was also a little annoyed by how many times I was contacted after my trial ended.

6.0/10
Alicia L.

Great Product!

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Very positive

Pros

Very user friendly, frequent updates and tips provided

Cons

I don't use all the features in my business