Chargebee

3.7/5

40 Software options

Easy Subscription Management

Reviewed on 25/02/2021

It has been useful to set up our automated subscription plans. Creating different plans, promos, and payment methods were quite easy.

Pros

Chargebee makes it very easy to set up automatic billing, subscription creation, and setting up promos for our customers. The interface is fairly straightforward to navigate and they connect with much of our tech stack, which helps streamline workflows.

Cons

Not much to not like. There are a lot of settings, such as reminders and notifications that you need to make sure you set up if you want to stay on top of your billing. Once they are set up, they are very helpful!

Razvan G.

Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Pros

Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing. I have tried implementing Braintree without Chargebee and it was a nightmare.

Cons

I have nothing to complain. They are improving all the time and doing its job.

Just Stay Away

Reviewed on 24/06/2020

I do not recommend them to avoid at all costs sign up for the free trial and process your first $50k free then move on to another company.software because once you start making money they will ask for a percentage of the money you collect. WHy do they think they are supposed to get paid a percentage of our moneyy?

Pros

The software is compatible with zapier which makes it easy to connect to other apps. or programs.

Cons

This company is based in the Philippines so the customer support for US-based customers is almost nonexistent. The online chat support is a complete joke because they just enter in "tickets" and never one ever follows up with you regarding an issue or concern. Once I sat down to track the payments that were being processed and the payments "could not authorize payment" but the system was marking the payments as paid. So customers are confused as too why they got an email says they paid but no payments removed from their account. The revenue story is unreliable and I have had to hire someone just to go inside of Chargebee to make sure the payments actually processed. Can you imaging hiring someone to double-check software?

Iván G.

Good only if you use the default set-up

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

In the beginning was very nice, but the more I use the product, the less I like it. We are considering moving to a different provider even if this will require to re-implement all our payment process.

Pros

At the beginning, when we started using this software, the setup was quite easy and just following their online documentation we could set up everything in our project.

Cons

Things started to go wrong when we try to use a more advanced implementation using their API. Integration with Hubspot was a mess, but we manage to fix that. On the other hand, 3DS implementation is very poorly documented if you don't use their in-house components. The support team is one of the worst I've encountered, they give you contradictory explanations, they don't even properly read the information you provide and it's very difficult to get the level 2 support.

Valentin M.

Simply Awesome Subscription Billing that JUST WORKS!

Reviewed on 28/10/2015

I''ve been relying on Chargebee to handle all subscription needs for my online wordpress maintenance service for the last 3 years. They always went above and beyond my expectations in helping me with anything I asked of them. I have never once encountered a problem due to their service! I love their team. I respect their leadership. I highly recommend you check them out!

Pros

Fast and easy setup, Intuitive UI, Rich features, Flexible, Stable, Great support

Cons

None! Never had an issue.

Patrick B.

Excellent product!

Reviewed on 16/08/2016

Chargebee is excellent for subscription businesses who need to manage their payments and invoices. I would strongly recommend trying it out. It's extremely easy to use. Should you run into any issues, their support team is amazing and very responsive.

Pros

Extremely easy to get set up and start taking payments.

Cons

A Xero integration would be useful, which they have built and are currently testing.

Jon C.

Perfect for Non-tangable service based businesses

Reviewed on 6/12/2016

Found Chargebee after switching to braintree payments for my credit card processing needs. Super simple setup, and easy to create products and customer subscriptions. Hosted payment pages make collecting payment securely a breeze.

Pros

Inexpensive payment portal and customer database solution

Cons

n/a

Jacob P.

It's an Okay Product

Reviewed on 16/08/2018

Their customer support team was always slow on getting back to People and they never wanted to just provide you the answers you need, They always wanted to schedule a call back

Pros

That I could start subscriptions for my customers and also invoice them with their profile(accounts).

Cons

It stinks as I could not have a hosted payment portal for my customers to make payments and manage their accounts. Their software is heavily into coding and having the coding experience. It's definitely something not worth my money

Crystal

Stellar service saving time and money

Reviewed on 13/03/2014

I've had many 'long-term' customers, who are very satisfied with my Pilates services, but for whom the whole 'buying/tracking' packages of sessions has become too onerous. Chargebee has allowed me to provide my customers with the same stellar service, but at a reduced cost because I save bookkeeping time and money.

Marcus R.

Great system but requires a god amount of work to setup

Reviewed on 16/10/2017

Pros

The system is really good.
Can create multiple plans, adds on, good too to manage legacy customers and very intuitive to use after the initial setup .

Cons

requires a lot of tinge on the beginning to do all the setup. The person who is responsible for this need to be fully engaged in order to do the right settings.

Ryan H.

Grossly incompentant

Reviewed on 21/07/2019

If I could do things over again I would have selected a similar provider even if I was forced to pay several hundred dollars per month it would have obviously been worth it. Now I have to make the decision of whether I want to potentially lose over half my subscribers again like the last time I switched billing systems (to Chargebee) or accept that I'm locked in for life.

Pros

Easy to set up and has a good API. Support is good and fast response so long as the issues are simple and don't involve anything technical.

Cons

The backend system is grossly unoptimized to the point many of my customers cannot be billed anymore. I was not informed of these issues when signing up and was promised that the system would be able to handle my very specific usecase. It clearly can't despite me giving them actual numbers. I've already lost over $6000 in charges I can't add to my customers' invoices and a few thousand dollars in invoices that can't be generated. For the past two months I've been unable to add charges for any of my customers and keep getting the runaround by different support agents as to what the cause is. First I was told I was violating a 150 API calls per minute limit despite the fact that not a single call had gone through successfully in the entire time period they were citing but also I'm skeptical of because each API call I make to their service takes between 2 and 10 seconds to complete. Now I'm told I need to batch things weekly because adding charges to my customers is too taxing on their CPUs. Billing line items should scale linearly but it is clear from how quickly their API bogs down that it scales exponentially for them at best and likely even worse. I never had this problem with my previous provider and they aren't even a billing or invoicing company.

Max S.

Basically, perfect in all aspects

Reviewed on 24/01/2019

We're ourselves are SaaS product, and use Chargebee as a backend for our payments and billing. We extensively use addons and various combinations of subscription plans.

I couldn't name another product that I would be that happy with as I am with Chargebee.

Pros

- Perfect UX/UI: all the filters, mass operations, detailed settings are available just as I need them, never think a second where to find a function I need
- Great API & integration support
- Very powerful analytics (especially with RevenueStory)
- Awesome support
- A very, very carefully and thoughtfully planned interface with a deep understanding of the user.

Cons

I faced literally two issues through the course of 6 years using Chargebee in production.

Billing Software For All

Reviewed on 6/12/2018

Chargebee enables is to efficiently bill clients and keep updated records of all customer billing information. The system also enables us to remind clients on outstanding payments. Its integration with our CRM enables us to help keep a centralized platform for custom relations.

Pros

The seamless integrations is enables as well as the automation that come with it.

Cons

The UI can be a bit dragging and makes it difficult for one to stick on the software.

László M.

Excellent subscription management platform

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Overall a very capable subscription management tool with great integrations and great support them!

Pros

Excellent platform to manage your Saas Business. Great, very easy to use integrations with many vendors (Stripe, QuickBooks, Zapier, etc). Highly customizable settings for everything: email templates, the general look, and even the workflow & the custom fields.

Cons

Takes some time to get used to how to work together with your app and integrate everything to work flawlessly, but it worth it. I just wished that when the client has to select the quantity of their licenses, you could edit the label from Quantity to "users" or "licenses".

MemberMouse and Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Chargebee

Integrations is a big plus!

To be avoided, it will cost you LT!

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

Pros

Chargebee started as a good product challenging Recurly but now it's really one of the worst decision we ever took

Cons

Their representative explicitly lied to to us to get us on a higher pricing in order to get his bonus and then you are stuck with another representation trying to get you to pay even to get his bonus aswell for the same feature that were promised earlier by someone else.

Their management really needs to train their staff better & decide on a pricing policy that aligns interest (fixed or variable -- you can have it both ways! )

First chance we get, we get away from this scamming company!

Zuora, GoCardless, Stripe, Recurly, Odoo and Zoho Invoice
Jacob N.

Great for startups

Reviewed on 4/02/2020

I use Chargebee primarily for charging for subscription plans. It's been great for starting up because there aren't any upfront costs

Pros

Their freemium plans is great for startups. You don't have to pay Chargebee for anything until you generate $50000 of revenue on their platform. They also offer a test playground where you can mess around without breaking anything, which is nice.

Cons

Transitioning some of the data from the playground environment to the live environment was a bit confusing.

Reza khan

Wonderful API and Support

Reviewed on 10/03/2014

I stumble across ChargeBee after searching on the web for subscription API
management for our new signal service.

From the very start , I found the ChargeBee API very easy to use , the web
site easy to navigate and the response from our specific help requests first
rate.

Our signal service went live a couple of months ago with zero problems from
the subscription side which worked with no problems.

I can 100% recommend ChargeBee to anyone who reads this and to anyone who
emails me personally

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Good overall

Reviewed on 4/11/2021

I've used it for online payments mainly, and have recommended it to a few colleagues.

Pros

It's easy to set up payment links to send to clients and everything is process quickly.

Cons

Some features were a little convoluted but at least the help section is thorough.

Peter S.

Reliable recurring billing platform

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

Pros

Chargebee is a very effective platform for recurring billings. It allows you to create plans, addons, coupons, and invoice reliably time and again.

Cons

Complex billing situations, such as sending a customer a single invoice for several subscriptions, are a bit more complex and require a lot of meddling with the system.

Response from Chargebee

Hi Peter,

We do have a feature called Consolidated Invoicing that provides the functionality to consolidate and send out a single invoice for multiple subscriptions of a customer. We will send out a detailed email to you on this feature at the earliest.

Yuval M.

Good of the shelf product, with a lot of problems when you scale

Reviewed on 5/03/2020

We are still using it, but more because the time and cost to change is very high than for other reasons - and I am not sure that forever is going to be the case. I wouldn't recommend using this product if you need anything beyond the basic subscription management capabilities. Support wasn't good either. In 6 months we had 3 account managers change and I am not even sure how to reach our account manager now. When coupled with the pricing they charge, I wouldn't recommend utilizing this product beyond its basic subscription management.

Pros

I love that it has multiple options and features. And the core subscription management works really well. It is great for companies that start from scratch and need quick 0-80 solution.

Cons

The issues start when you go deeper. Revenue story has lots of data reliability issues, slow refresh rates, information that changes in hindsight. The more you leverage the advanced capabilities the more disappointed you are. We had dashboards disappear, web hooks not triggering without any apparent reason and much more. We need to spend hours validating the data and double check three times before we can decide to rely on the output.

Jake F.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Powerful product, 1 stop shop for subscription management

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

Pros

We rely on Chargebee for the recurring element of our business. It is incredibly flexible in the types of subscriptions you can create, and how you want to manage them. Every single element of every customer's subscription is customizable.

Response from Chargebee

Hey Jake,

Thank you so much for taking your time out to review us.

We¿re constantly working hard towards improving our customer experience and reviews like these

We work hard to meet customers¿ expectations and we are happy to know that we hit the mark for you :)

Vivek K.

Payments simplified

Reviewed on 6/09/2016

We have been using Chargebee for over 6 months now and the experience has been nothing but great. The setup and onboarding is amazingly simple. From a developer point of view, integration process has been clearly chalked out and documentation is crisp and to the point. The pricing plan itself is very encouraging. 50K dollars are processed without any cost.

Pros

- Pricing plan
- Integration and Documentation
- Ability to setup coupons
- Direct integration with affiliate systems

Cons

Setting up payments in multiple currency requires a bit of a workaround but again its sorted out.

Musadiq M.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Used for Free Trial

Nice tool for managing subscription business

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Pros

I fell in love with ChargeBee's interface and sleek outlook. They have rich features to offer, perfect for companies who look for a solid alternative to manage their subscription transactions.

Cons

Their pricing is something that may bring a challenge for small companies to adopt it. Otherwise, this is nice for large enterprises, even SAAS companies with solid revenue track.

• Industry: Human Resources

Good product, easy to setup

Reviewed on 16/03/2019

Pros

This product allows us to offload some of the product configuration and pricing build that we would have had to do and business users can now configure new product / feature combinations.

Cons

There are still features I wish existed such as more customization on how the pages look in the shopping cart experience.

Harsha H.

Chargebee is the way to go for all your recurring payment needs

Reviewed on 9/10/2018

Pros

The setup was smooth and did not take a lot of time. It integrates well with stripe and complements its feature sets.

Cons

Not a lot that i hate about Chargebee per se but i think integrating with accounting software even on the Go plan would have made it even better.