Caspio

Build online database applications without coding.

4.7 /5 (131 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.5
4.5
4.4
4.6
Karen W.
Company size: Self Employed

Caspio is a robust, affordable option for organizations without in-house IT!

Reviewed on 15/05/2020

A software developer for over 20 years, I help small to medium-sized organizations, mostly nonprofits, find affordable software that supports their business processes. I found Caspio when I was searching the marketplace for a low-code platform that could be used to build a type of software that does not exist in the marketplace and it allowed an organization to build their dream application in a matter of months....custom software at an off-the-shelf price! I have been impressed with all the options available as well as the excellent online documentation and customer service of the Caspio support team.

Pros

I think Caspio is incredibly easy to learn and use and it allows non-technical professionals to quickly establish a data-centric web-based application without needing to know Python, Java, or another programming language. I have been a software developer for 20 years, so for me the tool takes even less time -- and functions like triggered notifications and tasks allow me to add "behind-the-scenes magic" so one process can trigger dependent processes in a seamless way. I also love the support team's helpful and responsive attitude.

Cons

Truly my only complaint is not a bad thing, just a choice -- I wish I did not have to wrap all the Caspio code in separate HTML, mostly b/c I do not think it is as easy to teach to non-technical people. Most of the organizations I work with need help getting everything set up and launched but then can largely be trained to maintain and extend their Caspio app...and while HTML and CSS are not complicated, they are not as predictably explainable as the tables and datapage interfaces.

Craig R.

Great potential, but stay away if you're not an enterprise client

Reviewed on 9/07/2018

Pros

- Basic database builder tools have more built-in options than similar software, so it's easier and faster to build more complex setups

- If you don't know code, the interface and logic is very close to MS Excel, so the learning curve isn't too bad

- Easy to embed and publish applications

- Has an unlimited app user model (though not administrators), which is superior to other database app builders that limit user capabilities and charge based on users. This is ideal for customer-facing applications where users need to be able to more advanced functions outside of simply viewing.

- Offer a free plan that is fairly well featured, though would only be useful for internal or personal apps

Cons

- Pricing structure is highly frustrating for a small business user or team. Basic paid plans have no access to APIs, Zapier, or automation/importing, which is high for the base plan compared to similar apps. To get those features, the next level jumps over 4x higher.

- "Datapages" allotted for each plan (which is the foundation of the app) are misleading since similar competitors use an allowed number of "apps". Some basic applications in Caspio need 10-20 data pages, but the basic plan only allows 5. Ultimately a large amount of time was spent figuring out how to cut out pages and combine features, killing user experience.

- Had a bad experience with customer support (sales) when I accidentally deleted an entire table. Was informed that as a basic/free trial user they would have to charge me to get the table back, even though it existed. And days saved was only a few, so had to quickly decide. They were not sympathetic to my plight even as I was in the evaluation stage.

- If you're a major enterprise with a large budget and some programmers, Caspio may be an ideal solution. If you're a small business, be very careful when evaluating and I'd recommend looking elsewhere. The subscription models and definitions are confusing and you may find yourself with an app built during the free trial and realizing you can't possibly afford to launch it.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Oliver N.
Industry: Legal Services

More than meets the eye

Reviewed on 25/05/2020

Caspio has more than made our flagship application possible for us without having a team of programmers. It has widely extended the possibilities of the application and helped inspire features and the overall scope of what our application is and can become. After years of working with Caspio, I have learned to use the platform to much of its potential, and yet I still haven't found the limits to what it can do. The platform specialists are very skilled, and with expert sessions available, you can accomplish things on Caspio way beyond what it appears to offer. It is, indeed, much more than meets the eye.

Pros

While Caspio is a low code platform enabling fast development of very high quality apps, it does not stop there. What has been important to me, is that the platform is virtually unlimited in potential. The versatility and quality of this platform makes it the perfect choice even for high complexity applications.

Cons

Simple apps may be developed very swiftly, while maintaining high levels of security and quality. More complex apps require more capacity and in depth development. While this is a low code platform, it does not prevent the use of code, and with it, the possibilities seem limitless. And it still has all the benefits of not having to code from scratch, ease of use, high security, etc.

Brenda B.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Building Databases Made Easy

Reviewed on 29/06/2020

My overall experience with Caspio and their customer service has been A+. My account manager has been with me from the beginning and has always replied to every message within one day. The technical support is always there to help and fix all of my problems without hesitation. The users of my database (Ages: 40-70) never complain, everything is easy to manage and they love the Membership Database and how pretty and manageable it is.

Pros

What I like most about Caspio is that you do not need to be a master in code development in order to build a database online. The click and go step by step process is very easy to use. Also, implementing within WordPress or other applications is very easy to do. The How-to Videos are an excellent way to learn to use the product. The formulas within the tables allow you to be more diverse with your structure. I can't name just ONE thing, I love many!

Cons

When I first purchased Caspio in 2016, I was not able to export in PDF, with their updates that is now possible, but my only issue is in order to use you have to have the level of Caspio, which will cost more money. The good thing is if you want a change submit a request, 9 times out of 10 they will update and include with their next release.

Pusit K.

Excellent features, Superb support

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

For more than three years with Caspio we don't have a major complaint in any area.
I would give six stars for the support. Often we need urgent support while we are working from different time zones, there is always someone (real human not a bot) standby to answer our urgent questions.
Regarding features, Caspio always keeps us exciting with their regular updates and new out-of-the-box features.

Pros

Features: Caspio has almost everything we require to complete business solution applications.

Pricing Model: Clear and competitive pricing model. There are even more plans released lately.

Support: Superb! Always someone's there, in the online support section. All tickets are handled in a short time. Respect user privacy, asking for permission before the support gets in the sensitive area with the "User Login Support".

Cons

Options for style and GUI. They are too plain (even they look professional) and simple, not bad but not so fancy. This is the comment from users. However, it's customizable but required extra work.

Scott M.
Industry: Construction

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is a genius!

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was amazing to work with. She took our ideas and built databases to meet our need in only minutes. Her knowledge of the product is off the charts. Every suggestion we threw at her, she was able to make happen for us.

I can't recommend her enough. She is a huge asset to the Caspio team.

Pros

Once established the program is very easy to use. The major advantage for us over our old Access database is you can log in from anywhere. Also, Access slowed down as it accumulated data, but Caspio has kept the same processing and retrieval speed. Finally, it looks much better and is easier to navigate.

Cons

It can be hard to learn how to create the tables and datapages, but they do offer training to teach you how.

Jane G.
Industry: Computer Software
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Excellent solution for our internal operations needs

Reviewed on 6/07/2020

Overall, Caspio has been our solution for all of our internal operations: calendars, utilization tracking and reporting, expertise tracking, forecasting and so much more. In the 2 years we have been live on our new program, we've completely changed the way we can track and report. It has been a real game changer for us.

Pros

I like that we can completely design our system and make enhancements or fixes on our timeline. We aren't tied to a third party developer so we don't have to pay for or wait for new features. We just build them ourselves to completely suit our needs!

Cons

There are some features that would make it even better than it is, such as ODBC integration with Excel (Office 365) and Outlook integration. API's may help with this, but as a non-programmer, that may be a bit above my skillset.

Julie J.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Create custom applications with ease

Reviewed on 10/06/2020

Wonderful! I was contacted by technical team and they offer to help you build your custom app. I prefer to be more hands on and enjoyed going through the various tutorial videos to learn how to use it and get more ideas for our custom application. I have some experience with databases and love that it had similarities to design features & concepts similar to Access and using SQL statements. Its amazing how much of your app you can configure with just a data page. At first I was really impressed with price per data page but as I learn in different video tutorials, a real robust application will take you to the mid/highest price tier.

Pros

Love the video tutorials and there are so many great and powerful features in the design side

Cons

Not sure about integrating with other systems yet (accounting) and using on mobile devices

William K.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Speed To Market

Reviewed on 21/08/2020

Caspio has provided us the ability to implement web applications quickly, without being held hostage by programmers who care more about job security then addressing client solutions.

Pros

Caspio is very impressive with its ability to allow businesses to create and implement web applications quickly. In today's competitive world, clients do not have any patience and really appreciate a branded solution delivered within days, not weeks, months or years!

Cons

There is still a need to understand Javascript (coding) and the ability to use the Caspio platform with third-party APIs. Zapier is nice, but it really doesn't work well with custom integrations.

Roger D.
Industry: Higher Education
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

No need to hire developer

Reviewed on 7/07/2020

The product is the best I've seen out there. If you know javascript, you can bake extra functionality into your forms, but even if you only know html and a little css, you'll be able to do amazing things.

Pros

Caspio isn't cheap, but it more than pays for itself by freeing us up from the need to have a full-time developer to build and manage custom forms and databases. In a matter of a couple of hours, I can create a fairly complex form that would have taken others days or longer to build without Caspio.

Cons

The interface for building the datapage (form) is tiny. It could easily be made to scale so the user could see more items without scrolling constantly. This really needs to be fixed.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Bradley M.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Flexible and Easy to Deploy

Reviewed on 16/08/2020

Overall very positive. We use Caspio to power a lot of applications that help our organization run very effectively. The support teams is great and the value for the money is right on point.

Pros

The flexibility and ease of customization. The software can easily be used to create a simple application in 1o minutes, or can incorporate very custom features that can be used to create a more complex application.

Cons

There are a few features I'd like to see changed or made easier to use. But overall there isn't anything I dislike.

Michael P.
Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

The Caspio Team lead the way

Reviewed on 27/07/2020

Our experience with Caspio was extraordinary and exceeded our wildest expectations. The team assigned to manage our transition was caring, courteous and totally focused on a successful implementation of our project. A special thank you to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] for their commitment and professionalism as we worked to understand and implement the data necessary to manage our database and website.

Pros

This software made it possible to organize and structure data that was in an excel spreadsheet that had been managed by one person for almost 25 years. As a small organization with limited resources we realized that a tool like the Caspio Bridge would make it possible for us to manage our community of aviation Master Educators in a way that is fiscally responsible and allowed us to efficiently and effectively manage our community with one full time administrator and a select group of volunteers.

Cons

We had very limited technical expertise with any of the skills required to develop and integrate a product like Caspio with our simple requirements. This is not a con but was certainly a concern once we decided to use Caspio. This concern was quickly mitigated by the Caspio Team.

Ryan M.

Greed

Reviewed on 22/06/2020

terrible

Pros

Easily to deploy, and this is the only thing you do well.

Cons

Your operations regions are siloed. If one site goes down your service is unreachable. 8x8 does concurrent datacenter streaming for real-time communications across several data centers that's baked into $15 a month that also includes calling to 14 countries at no extra cost, video and voice conferencing, SMS, and a desktop and mobile app.

We're on an older plan called performance. We've asked to add SAML SSO to our plan because it's not offered. We were told it would be $400 a month, in part, because of engineering fees. Do you bake engineering fees in the monthly cost for moving customers to a higher plan? How is it that companies like 8x8 can offer SAML SSO for less than $1 a month, companies like OKTA (who specialize in SAML SSO) can offer integration into 40 services and customized deployments for $2 a month, and Micorosft offers SAML SSO as part of their free tier of Azure AD that also includes storage of up to 50k objects? How is it that your engineering and services fees are some of the most expensive in the industry?

Pure greed is the answer.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Leon E.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Can't believe we waited this long!

Reviewed on 22/05/2020

Thank you for all the hard work and dedication the Caspio Bridge team has put into this product. Caspio Bridge has allowed us to solve a 17 year problem within weeks.

Pros

Ease of use, very well designed powerful back end, outstanding Support!

Cons

Can't think of anything I do not like about Caspio Bridge. Kudos to the CASPIO team!

Bryan M.

Great Support and Customer Service

Reviewed on 18/05/2020

Very good! Great time, very personable and responsive!

Pros

The software is pretty robust. Although this is 'low code', it is not 'no code'. There is some level of code writing required. When in doubt, support is always there to guide you. VERY good video training series.

Cons

Some of the features a latent and you really need to learn their application to maximize your efforts.

Samantha D.
Industry: Libraries

Create what you didn't think was possible

Reviewed on 9/06/2020

I have utilized Caspio to make things possible at our library system that I didn't think were possible. We have used it across the board from statistics management to job portals to suggestion forms from patrons to staff.

Pros

The Caspio product is diverse and intuitive. If I every struggle understanding how to implement a new database I know I can count on the forums and customer support for any extra help.

Cons

It was a learning curve at first with Caspio but they have gotten so much better since I first learned how to use the system with new tutorials and videos posted monthly.

Christopher C.
Industry: Financial Services

Triumphant, Caspio low code platform allowed me to build a CRM with in days to organize sales calls.

Reviewed on 18/01/2018

The ability to build a fully functional custom CRM system with API calls in the 30 days is great. The price point of this product makes it accessible for start-ups that are budget conscious.

Pros

The software is adaptable and I am able to quickly create a report or triggered action to generate a variety of reports and share information in real time with colleagues. The ability to set up a fully functional Client Relationships Management System with in the 15 days. We continue through the tutorial videos and client support to develop unique reports for my colleagues.

Cons

Technical support is easier to reach by the chat function instead of phone. Expediting an emergency tech issue is not reached easily. On some occasions the explanation is lacking sufficient detail.

Omar A.
Industry: Entertainment

Great Support, Flexible Product

Reviewed on 14/05/2020

The support teams are fantastic and very helpful, they helped design and custom develop our product

Pros

Caspio is relatively easy to setup and allows for enough flexibility with online form capture and processing that there is plent you can do with it

Cons

It can begin to get a little expensive if you need to really scale up your program. I would strongly recommend the product for small to medium size products.

Ron M.

Built Web Applications with ease

Reviewed on 5/06/2020

I created solutions for several processes in the home health field. These led to automated reports and custom web apps for different departments within the company.

Pros

Nice low-code interface. HIPAA compliance. Easy to create reports, charts, graphs, and full dashboards.

Cons

This is a low-code more than a no-code solution. To get the most out of Caspio some JS is very useful.

Erin F.

Easy to Use with Ever-Expanding Features

Reviewed on 15/02/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Super Easy to Use and minimal code necessary
Robust relational database
Customer Support is extremely helpful

Cons

Professional Services is slow and incompetent
Parameter passing is tricky and at times does not work

Ronnie K.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Amazing Capabilites

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 15/09/2020

When I began using Caspio, I experienced great customer service to get me started on the right foot. They spent quality time with me to insure I was successful ... and I was.

Pros

Easy to learn and design real-world functionality for our application. Was able to implement with Wix. Feature-rich functionality is very impressive with many great options I had to choose from as I designed our application.

Being a former professional database manager and architect for large scale corportate America systems, I rate Caspio a 9.5 out of 10. When 1st started learning to use Caspio, I was continually praising them for the power features I discovered.

Using Caspio made the impossible, possible.

Cons

There was nothing I found that I did not like ...

Pamela D.
Industry: E-Learning

Caspio use in Education

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 15/09/2020

Pros

I like the ability to created multiple apps and use them with one another.

Cons

This is a challenging piece of software. It is not easy to use but no more difficult than other DBMS.

Shasha A.

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Great customer support if I have a standard Caspio question.

Pros

Customize to a way I like for my company to communicate internally and to our partners

Cons

some of the feathers are not available. Needs more colorful feather and navigation bar built in.
right now it doesn't allow link between tables and views

Antonio S.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Testing Caspio on a client project

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

Unfortunately we are tied up in the app we created, but we are looking for moving away asap.

Pros

We started using Caspio a bit in hurry, developing a solution for a client over an already established budget. What we really do not like about Caspio is the lack of documentation that made our developer spending hours to understand its logic. On top of that several bugs that they didn't recognise took us in waste lot of time.

Cons

But ok, bugs is for everyone, what really is unacceptable is the total lack of support and collaboration. Not only they ask 250$ per hour to give you support, but every small thing that goes out of the plan they charge you inevitably. if you ask for some small difference they ask you to subscribe the next plan at 3 times the price. Then if you ask to negotiate they are not available. Once you are tied up with them they not only deliver less value, but they are rigid and unavailable to collaborate.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Mark M.

Caspio - Partners for The Long Term

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

I've now been using Caspio for over 12years and have to say that, as a company, they've matured over that time. Customer support is definitely above average.

Pros

Speed of project development from idea to deployment is, for me, the number one attraction as a Caspio developer.

You can try things out for real very quickly and ask clients for their thoughts/opinions as you go along. Caspio's low-code platform makes it possible for someone to provide robust, mission critical data-driven systems without having a background in coding.

Cons

I have very few issues with using Caspio and any that I have are either minor - or get resolved quickly.