CakeHR Reviews

4.5/5 (272 reviews)
Stefan W.

Great

Reviewed on 4/08/2017

Pros

For our company, it greatly simplifies the managing the holiday entitlement of our employees. Our employees appreciate the real-time view of their day-off and holiday balance.

Cons

- Day Offs:
In our company the day offs are flexible. Employees are supposed to take 2 day-offs per week, but sometimes these day-offs are shifted to the next week. (It's always within the same month though.)

It would be great to have some way to be alerted/monitor if someone requests more day-offs than they are entitled to. Right now I have to count the day off requests to make sure it's within their day-off limit. (Right now a staff could request more day-offs that they are entitled to.)

Having this said, I don't want it to be shown as a yearly quota, same holidays and public holidays, as these days can be taken anytime, while day-offs are not of that nature. However, a monthly quota would be fine.

- Time Tracking:
What is definitely missing is time tracking (for which we use HubStaff now) and overtime/undertime tracking. Our employees track their working time, and have a floating balance of time. Cake would be the complete and perfect HR solution if there was everything at a glance - the balance of Holiday, Public Holiday, Sick Days, Day-Offs and Over/Undertime.

Ideally, being able to differentiate between freelancers and full-time staff - where freelancer time results in salary and full-time staff time results in time balance.
Also, overtime should be able to be mutated (to holiday / day-off) or pay-off (define a per-hour amount for the time, calculate the pay-off, deduct the time from the balance.)

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Stefan!

Many thanks for the detailed and honest review! We are making leave requests far more transparent for managers so that you can be alerted when they are overspent.

I'm going to set up a call with you to make sure you're being onboarded to the new Timesheets module we have been developing over the last months!

Laura D.

Cake HR is a Strategic Partner for Findasense

Reviewed on 18/06/2019

Has helped us a lot in the optimization, automatization and agility to handle our employee data and processes like leaves, feedback, goals, etc.
We have established an alliance with the Cake HR team and this has allowed us to customize the app to our and being able to find solutions to our daily needs.

Pros

Intuitive for its use, user friendly, modern look, flexibility in workflows and constant improvements in the app.
The best part for us is that we have constant contact with the support team and work very closely in designing processes and workflows to respond our internal needs.

Cons

We are working on having a more horizontal structure and be able to install a collective decision making process. So far Cake HR needs for everyone to have a "manager" for approvals in many of the processes so sometimes we need to think around that.
This is not a mejor limitation since the app also allows for some processes to have automatic approvals, but would be interesting to evaluate new organization models.

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Laura,

Thank you for having taken your time to provide us with your valuable feedback! Our goal is to keep new and existing CakeHR features fully customizable, therefore options for different organization models will be definitely considered :)

Lee P.

A great HR platform for smaller companies

Reviewed on 18/06/2019

Overall I am very happy with CakeHR. I am able to figure out who is in and out of the office with ease. My staff love how fast it enables me to approve/deny the holiday requests as it gives all the information I need to make the decision, including automated emails to me and the other administrators. I love how I have been able to integrate this with my google calendar too. The reporting gives good information to so we can better tackle our staff who are off on long term sick etc. Would definitely recommend.

Pros

I like how simple the software is to use and setup. Your business can be good to go in a matter of minutes. The UI looks good and is a very helpful tool to the organisation I work in. Gives me a good overview of who is off and for what reason that day!

Cons

I don't like the permissions model. The reason I stated for a smaller company is because as you grow, it feels the permission model can become a bit more problematic if you want to be setting up complex permissions. E.g. Users able to see everyone off on holiday that day, even if not in your own team.

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Lee,

It's so nice to see that you are actually using a variety of features and find them helpful :) I can assure you that there will be more permission models available in the future, we are working on it. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Viktorija

User friendly HR app - highly recommend!

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

Overall, an amazing experience.

I did a bit of research as to what CakeHR can do, and when I approached the supporting team, they are very accommodating and patient in regards to the questions I have.

Customer service is definitely one of the things that stood out to me, how responsive and helpful the team is - shout out to customer service who has been helping me along the way!

Pros

How easy it is to get a hang of using the app, which also makes it easier for us as a company to onboard members and encourage them to utilise the app accordingly.

There are a lot of functions to play around, and I find 90% of the functions applicable to the company, and would be applicable to other companies too.

Makes keeping track of employee's goals and tasks easier than ever, with notifications sent to certain individuals frequently yet not too much that they would consider it as spam.

Cons

Wish there could have more functions to track the personal development of employee(s), like having a roadmap or letting them see what is the next step for them to advance to.

Response from HR Bakery

Thanks a lot for such kind words, we really appreciate your feedback!
If I understand you correctly, you are already using CakeHR Performance module. However, due to the reason that we are constantly updating our existing features, it would be great to arrange a quick call, to make sure you are getting the most out of your experience. Please get back to me, so we can agree on a time and date :)

Cake-hr for time-off management

Reviewed on 8/08/2018

It's nice tool to solve a problem of availability visibility in the distributed team, easy to use.

Pros

- easy UX and UI
- convenient dashboard
- ability to create different policies for various locations (if you have a distributed team it's fantastic)
- integration with a google calendar & slack bot
- custom actions to be done after a time-off request is provided
- mobile app available

Cons

- documents storage is not convenient for users and search
- had few cases with support team when did not receive a reply in time
- would be great to have a follow-up for managers if they do not approve/decline the request of their direct reports
- request for few hours per day does not allow to give precise hours, simply [number] hours in the first/second part of the day. I would prefer specifying exact hours

Response from HR Bakery

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! :)
I'm pleased to hear that you are enjoying your experience with CakeHR and I am sorry to hear that you felt our support team had't replied in a timely manner. I can ensure you that we are working hard on making sure every customer's needs are addressed with accuracy and efficiency, and we are constantly looking at the ways to improve our service, and your feedback is much appreciated.
As it happens, our Document storage UI is being improved as we speak so if you have ideas how it would work better for you, please get in touch with us!
Speaking of TO requests, there is a functionality to specify hours for part-day request, however it depends on permission settings defined by Admins at your company.
I'd love to take our conversation further, so please do get in touch and we will find the answers! :)

7.0/10
Olga B.

The Potential of the CakeHR

Reviewed on 7/08/2018

The CakeHR, although with some issues, has quite the potential, especially if the developers continue improving and updating it. Not to mention that it is cheap in comparison to, for example, same BambooHR and it also fulfills pretty much all the needed options.
I was pleasantly surprised with the customer support that I was provided while working with this software: if you have any questions or issues - the support team will always answer you within a day and try their best to adjust the software's settings to your liking and if you still have any further questions - they will arrange a meeting to help you solve the problem.
The CakeHR is especially convenient for those companies that are functioning within one country. However, even if the company has several branches located in several countries it is still not a problem. Although it can be a bit confusing at first with all these access levels and settings that you will have to think about - with the right tags and teams you will manage it just fine.

Pros

The Cake is very convenient for employees in terms of usage: it is simple, understandable, and solves the problem with the time-off policies' usage tracking.

Cons

There were quite a few issues that weren't particularly to my liking; however, after mentioning them to the CakeHR support team - they were quickly fixed and changed in the way we wanted them to. Still, there is one thing that I think needs an improvement.

As of now, when you want to upload the documents - you cannot filter/restrict them by location or the team. You can either upload it for everyone within the company to see it or upload it individually. As you might have already realized from that - if you want only one department or only one country's branch to see a certain document - you will have to upload it individually every time.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Olga, thank you so much for taking time to submit your feedback. More options for documents share is due to be in production next week - so watch this space! :)

Julie W.

Excellent Product!

Reviewed on 18/06/2019

Pros

Managing Time Off for multiple teams and multiple types of time off. Makes it very easy to see where everyone is without having to manage a company calendar. Easy to use on the go with the mobile app and emailing capabilities. Easy to accept someone's time off request within the email with just a click of a button. Absolutely love this tool for our team's time off.

Cons

Can't set the admin to send me just my team's requests, so I get a lot of emails for our whole company. very hard to edit time off requests. Don't like that after it's approved, it's hard for the user to go in and change their request and be assured it's logged correctly.

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Julie,

It's so exciting to see that you are enjoying both, our software, as well as the app! :) It's so important to have the ability to manage work-related tasks on the go, right?

I'll contact you directly, so we can go through the permissions and time-off settings to arrange them in the way it works best for you!

CakeHR review

Reviewed on 25/06/2019

The best value for money, where HR processes get automated very quickly and user friendly.

Pros

It is very adjustable, features are updated each week with increasing functionality, accessible customer support, very friendly pricing.

Cons

Bugs. With such a speed in new releases it is almost inevitable that bugs pop up.
New customer onboarding could be improved with clear guidelines.
Knowledge base with instructions of use could be more informative.
System could offer basic templates for all modules (survey, onboarding, offboarding etc)

Response from HR Bakery

Hello,

We very much appreciate your feedback!
I am sure you have also noticed how fast our developers fix a bug if one occurs :) As for the onboarding, I would be very grateful if you can contact me directly and share what can be improved, what information or steps you felt were missing during your onboarding process.
Unfortunately, I can not guarantee that we will have templates for surveys available any time soon, due to the reason that different companies have different needs, therefore we try to keep all the features fully customizable. We are always giving as many examples as possible during the onboarding process, however, if you feel some additional information is needed, do not hesitate to contact us through the chatbox that is available on your desktop and app. What I can promise is that we will have our knowledge base updated any time soon, meanwhile, as I have already mentioned, please use the chatbox, we are always here and happy to help!

Sarah S.

Piece of Cake!

Reviewed on 10/06/2019

Recently, we became aware that CakeHR offers time tracking. We had previously been using spreadsheets to keep track of hourly employees, which was at times difficult to use and run reporting on. Time tracking in CakeHR allowed us to make it easier for our hourly employees to clock in and out in a system that they were already familiar with, and the payroll reporting aspect is much easier as well.

Pros

I love the ease of use CakeHR offers. It is very intuitive, easy to read (I love the appearance!) and easy to train new employees on. It is also very simple to use the CakeHR API to integrate with other software we use as an organization.

Cons

I have no complaints with CakeHR. Everything is great!

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Sarah,

Such comments makes us feel that we're moving in the right direction. :) We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and please let us know if we can help in any way in the future.

Thanks again!

Anna R.

Cake is great for small companies

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

Overall we are happy and will continue to use Cake for hopefully many more years. We hope our requestes will be taken to development

Pros

It was very easy to setup
it´s quiet user friendly
it allows some automations vie receipts
price is based on users

Cons

as we grow very fast our needs change, even tough the cake team did implement a few changes to also accommodate our needs some are not satisfied yet:
option to choose a worktime pattern when adding new user
complex leave policy setup with formula for holiday allowance based on i.e. (age, number of children etc.)

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Anna,

Many thanks for your honest feedback!
I just wanted to mention that there is automation available for some other tools except recipes. Let's get in touch to discuss our further cooperation and make sure you're making the most out of your subscription with us.

Natasha M.

Cake HR has removed the headache of having to keep track of each team member's time off requests.

Reviewed on 4/08/2017

The software nearly runs by itself - as long as each user is trained properly. This allows the Administrators to focus on other important tasks.

Pros

I like the ability to create custom time-off fields for employees and being able to see everyone's future time-off requests for planning purposes. The "reporting" is very helpful for managers to use during our annual performance review process. Being able to color code the time-off fields makes the platform attractive on both desktop and mobile. I love being able to store HR-related documents for easy access. The entire platform has made our HR processes more efficient. LOVE, LOVE , LOVE!! :)

Cons

As an administrator/manager of the software, I find it difficult to navigate on my Android phone. I don't like being limited to this as I sometimes have to approve individual "time off" requests in the absence of the company President and when I am away from the office.

Response from HR Bakery

Natasha! Thanks!

It sounds like you're all set to go!
I hope our recent update to the mobile has benefited you in terms of user ability. We want to make sure that you are efficient even when on-the-go.

Angie K.

Truly - a piece of cake!

Reviewed on 19/06/2019

Great!

Pros

Simple - user friendly where you can jump right in with little to no training necessary on most features

Cons

no sample templates or surveys for performance management to start using right away that can be edited/customized towards specific organization needs - would be great if there was a starting base to better understand how to use those features with best practices and samples showing ways to measure performance based on newer trends (OKRs, 360 evals, 1 to 1 meetings).

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Angie,

Thank you very much for your positive review. We really appreciate you being a loyal client and helping to share the word about us.

We provide only templates, as it is easier to adapt them according to one's specific needs. However, we are always trying to give as many examples as possible during the onboarding process. In case, some more inspiration required, do not hesitate to contact us through the chat box, we are always happy to help and share some tips and tricks. :)

UX is great!

Reviewed on 10/06/2019

CakeHR is a much better experience for our employees than other HR services we have used. We have gotten positive feedback about it from our team.

Pros

Really appreciate the amount of effort they put into designing this app out. The visual experience is far superior to any other HR app I have used in the past.

Cons

There is additional functionality that can be hard to find, such as where to put documentation like the employee handbook. Also, I would like to see users be able to be grouped into multiple different teams or views.

Response from HR Bakery

Hello!

I'm pleased to hear that you and your team are enjoying experience with CakeHR. I would love to have a further chat with you to review our document management feature, that is very handy in use. This feature gives you various possibilities to organize, store, as well as, notify employees on added documents, give specific permissions, so it's easier to keep a track.
CakeHR also offers possibility to add as many teams as you like. Access to team's profiles, documents, reports, and much more can be set according to your needs. There is so many options we can offer you to make your work life easier, let's get in touch so I can give you a more insight! :)

7.0/10
Amanda L.

CakeHR make PTO sweet and simple

Reviewed on 2/11/2016

Working with CakeHR has been a dream! There interface is incredibly user-friendly and makes managing our PTO policies a breeze. Managers love being able to accept/deny requests directly via the email notifications, and our employees love having quick access to submit time on the mobile app.

CakeHR is well thought out and designed, but our company has a few needs that CAKE does not directly meet. However, their support team is absolutely tremendous! They respond very quickly despite the time zone difference, they are always asking and open to our requests for features, and they immediately jump on any issues we encounter and resolve them with flying colors!

Finally, we love the integrations with other apps and our IT guys love being able to use their API to sync employee data to our internal company pages, simplifying PTO for our employees even more.

Pros

Credit/debit of days
Set auto increase of allotment based on employee hire date
Documents Section to store all our onboarding/benefits info
Being able to edit/enter time off that has occurred in the past

Cons

Would like to see more detailed customization such as:
View my PTO balance as days remaining for year vs. days accrued thus far
For PTO less than a full day, it would be nice to enter the exact time the employee wiht be out of the office.
More control over notifications for Admin level users.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Amanda!

Many thanks for your honest review :)
We're about to release an employee Scheduling feature that will allow all employees to see full attendance lists of employees.

I'll make sure your introduced and set up for this module!

Madeleine H.

Great, easy to use tool

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

CakeHR makes it easy for us to save and document our time-offs, no matter if its vacation, sick days, business trips or home office days – finally everything is put in one place. Due to the great Slack integration, the chatbot informs us about absent employees every morning and makes it easy to plan our resources.
Costumer support is amazing!

Pros

- saves all our time-offs
- overview above vacation and sickdays
- reminder for birthdays and work anniversaries
- Slack integration

Cons

- a bit too less flexibility regarding time off policies (e.g. it would be great to have a policy where working students could enter when they are in the office, not out)

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Madeleine,

Thank you so much for taking time to submit your review! I will get in touch with you, so we can go through policies and set them up in the way it works for your company. All our features are fully customizable, so I am sure we will find the way you get the most out of it :)

Ross V.

Great product

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

We have been using CakeHR for several years and the product has really grown to an all .round HR system that allows customised settings for teams in different locations.

Pros

The ability to manage everything HR in one place.
Brilliant support
Flexible product for teams working globally.

Cons

Not always clear where to find specific settings.

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Ross,

Dear Ross,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate it :)
If you ever having doubts where to find or how specific settings can be adjusted, please do not hesitate to contact us through the chat box. We will be happy to help you, schedule a call to show you a quick demo, as for us it is very important that you are using all available features to its fullest potential.

Rachel A.

Impressive, no fuss, tidy little package.

Reviewed on 30/10/2015

I've been trailing CakeHR for two days. Below is my experience so far.

What I really love:
1. In the cloud. We're a cloud based company ourselves so this is a massive plus for me.
2. Nice friendly UI. Easy on the eye, logical flow, nice modals, profile pictures for team members.
3. Can add additional Time-Off Policies other than Holiday & Sickday.
4. Can add Public Holidays that don't count as team holidays taken.
5. Can add Black Out days where no one can book holidays on certain dates.
6. Ability to hide certain tabs from team members like Benefits, Documents, Emergency etc.
7. Can hide calendar from other team members so they can't see who's on holiday etc.
8. Can add categories to Documents.
9. Lots of reporting! Bradford Factor & Employee Growth is a nice touch.
10. Can create teams, support team, dev team etc.
11. Ability for team member to log in and submit holiday requests. This isn't something I've enabled yet as I'm still trying out CakeHR however I can definitely see the benefits of this - less emails & notes!

I'm not calling this list 'Cons' as I don't have any cons. The below points are suggestions:

1. I had to add each Black Out day individually. We have a 6 week period where no one can take holidays. Would be nice to have a start and end date ability here.
2. An app. How cool would it be to have a CakeHR app that you can approve/decline requests on the spot & see who's available on your team that day. I know I'd use it! Android of course ;)

I really love CakeHR's approach to time off management and would recommend to anyone with no hesitation.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Rachel!

What an intense two days of trialling you had! The feedback is awesome and you know that we have been able to address your "nice to have" list at the bottom. It is feedback like this this really... feeds us!

We have the Android app releases imminently! I will let you and VSware have first-look at the app!

Solid HR Management Tool

Reviewed on 5/07/2019
Review Source

Have really loved using this across a distributed team while still giving us the feeling of being connected, cohesive, and consistent across the board.

Pros

Loved using this for onboarding as it made the process seamless, especially with the app. The perfect option for growing teams who want a consistent employee experience across the board (form onboarding, to reviews, benefits, etc.) it all lives in one place and makes it so easy to access.

Cons

The only thing that would be nice to change is the ability to be more specific with requesting an exact number of hours so you can be more specific with your request for time off.

Response from HR Bakery

Hello,

We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience! I'd love to help you out with those additional specific fields that actually can be added to time-off policies, therefore please contact me directly or use a Chatbot in the right bottom of the CakeHR screen.

I look forward to hearing from you :)

Gary S.

User friendly and easy to use.

Reviewed on 28/01/2019

Cake handles the things we use it for well. Tracking holidays, managing certain manually entered HR processes, but it lacks a lot of functionality which would be needed by an HR system.

Pros

Well presented and easy to use for admin and for users.

Cons

Still Missing features I would like to see from an HR control package

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your feedback! :) I know that you have been in touch with our team before about various functions and features that you would like to use for your People Management, and I think we should get on a call to touch-base on our latest enhancements as I believe you will find them very useful and handy!

I'll be in touch with you directly to arrange a call.

Thanks
Ilona

Anna J.

One of the quickest growing HR systems on the market

Reviewed on 4/07/2019

Only second to one system, which is unaffordable for us. I look forward to seeing how this company develops. I recommend this system for any growing startup and SME.

Pros

Very responsive team.
Slack integration of the leave management is handy and updates in realtime
Leave management is really good, I like that you can extra mandatory fields. We use this to track out of office staff, and remote working. It's also used to track time spent on their personal wellbeing.
The app is handy, I know most of the staff use this instead of the web version.
The org chart with collapsable levels and drag and drop changes is a very strong feature.

Cons

most cons are just potential development and improvement as apposed to major flaws.
Adding timesheets could be more streamlined, maybe a quick add from a calendar style overview would be nicer.
Expense management - it would be great to be able to integrate with Xero.

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Anna,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and suggestions. Let's hop on a call and discuss those in more details. I will be in touch with you :)

Will B.

Great PTO Scheduling & Tracking

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 30/05/2019

Being able to submit a request for time off easily from my phone through the app, have it notify the correct people within our organization to give approval, and then notifying me when the approval is made has greatly simplified PTO tracking for me. I can easily how much time I’ve used, how much I have left, and view a calendar with my scheduled time off as well as others within my team. CakeHR has many other features that I don’t personally use but could see being very useful to others.

Pros

CakeHR lets me to submit requests for vacations, be notified when they’re approved, as well as see when others on my team will be out making it easier to plan for time off.

Cons

The web interface was a little messy but they’ve mostly fixed this now and cleaned it up. I usually use the mobile app anyway which has always had a clean interface.

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Will,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us. We are happy to hear that CakeHR makes your daily routine a little bit easier. Just wanted to point out that there is possibility to organize your dashboard, enable/disable or customize some of the fields the way it addresses your needs.

I would love to schedule a quick call to discuss some hints & tips - let's stay in touch :)

Best regards,
Viktorija

Nice but too young yet :)

Reviewed on 18/01/2019

Could be a good choice, but functionality has to be improved

Pros

User friendly
Flexible (at least in concept)

Cons

No recruitment module
Not enough fields in recipes (I am pretty sure that it is possible to let user to use much more variables and logic operators (jumps, triggers) and play with boolean search and complex logic).
No calendar of upcoming appraisals for all the company, which could be useful for HR service to plan the load (I mean, standard calendar table view for the whole year)
No recurrence (you should duplicate the same task manually, instead of setting of recurrence 'once per every 6/12/18 months etc")
When you change initial task itself, the workflow which includes this task, still contains not updated version. As for me, if any component has been changed, it should be relevantly changed in any more complicated structures which contain that 'brick', instead of manual searching where this component could be used and further manual changing.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi there,
thanks so much for leaving a detailed feedback - this allows us to constantly review our product and improve! :)

As it happens, we are about to release our new shiny Recruitment module! You are very welcome to test it out in the beta version - please get in touch with me directly and we'll set it up.

We are also constantly adding more Recipe variables, and there are to meet our customers' demands. If there is anything in particular that you think should be added to the Recipes, please get in touch.

With onboarding tasks, it has to be looked at each case specifically as one scenario will not fit all and therefore cannot be applied automatically.

I would love to go through these points with as you directly I can see some very good ideas there. Please write to me :)

Ilona

5.0/10
Sarah W.

So easy

Reviewed on 18/06/2019

We track holidays by anniversary date. Before CakeHR it was a daunting task to keep track of everyone's entitled time. Now we don't have to worry at all.

Pros

This software is easy to learn, easy to use and great for tracking holidays, sick time, appointments, training etc..

Cons

Time off per individual should be the first page or we should be able to customize our views.

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Sarah,

I very much appreciate your feedback :)
It's actually possible to customize your dashboard, add or delete information blocks based on your preference and needs. I'll contact you directly and will show you how it's done!

Craig M.

Great software with a great team behind it

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

We solve the complexity of holidays clashing with Cake HR. It's a a core part of our business that every employee uses.

Pros

I love how simple it is for our team to request holidays and to monitor sick days also. The interface is nice too.

Cons

The app is a bit limited and it would be helpful if it offered a full calendar view.

Response from HR Bakery

Many thanks, Craig!

In case you feel that you have any other feature suggestions you want to share with us, please make sure to post them through your app or profile, green box at the bottom of right corner :)

Best regards,

Easy

Reviewed on 10/06/2019

I love the attitude and easy way of working with Cake HR! attitude, customer oriented mindset and ability to look on us as unique client , to listen to needs and respond ... My experience is really great! and even if there is missing some functionality - cake hr is seraching for the ways to improve it.

Pros

Cake HR helps to fix the basics, to have a structure for people management matters. Excellent soft, have helped a lot in case where we needed to start from scratch and move from excel to something more up to date in HR .

Cons

some functionality is missing what I have experienced with global providers. example - access rights, management between different companies if on holding.

Response from HR Bakery

Thank you for you review and pointing out those things!
We are already working on mentioned features, most actually already done! If you want to know current status please contact us and we would be happy to give you more details and arrange some demo call :)