FreshBooks

Corey A.
  • Industry: Design

Can't work without it

Reviewed on 2/11/2021

With FreshBooks, I am able to track expenses easily and I can invoice clients quickly in a very professional way. I love the invoice deadline features that remove the need for regular maintenance on client accounts. I literally wouldn't be able to work without it.

Pros

I fell in love with FreshBooks years ago, before I even had the need for many of its features. I have grown my business to use the services offered at a higher level and now look for opportunities to use it because it is that good. The invoicing is the best service for my business and I highly recommend it.

Cons

I honestly can't find anything that I don't like.

SalesRabbit, Basecamp and Quickbooks Online

It is the best!
Mogne julio N.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Usable apparatus limitless assets

Reviewed on 20/02/2021

Extraordinary "interface", it makes my work a lot simpler and significantly more powerful. It is actually an extraordinary item. It has a ton of value. It makes the assistance for the client more open, obviously I need to attempt a bit, however to utilize it, yet nothing better than the application I used to build up my business to create with me. Compromise with the bank works distantly, charging and different assets. As far as I might be concerned, it is an absolutely present day apparatus obviously that can generally improve.

Pros

The variety of highlights that makes it available by any utility on the off chance that you need to put forth a great deal of attempt, history of past deals.

Cons

I'm a major enthusiast of Freshbooks and I prescribe it to everybody. The Modern interface and utility highlights can be a disadvantage for clients who might not have yet built up their test levels.

Andreas L.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Freshbooks - Still one of the best billing systems around

Reviewed on 19/12/2019

Able to run and invoice quickly. Add the strong integration that it has with Freshdesk for ticketing and my time tracking - it has allowed me to better streamline my operations.

Pros

Tracking and customer portal that is fully labeled as your own... this is a feature most competitors do not have. Know when your customers have viewed your invoices and even printed them! Slick mobile app

Cons

Pricing has gone up vis a vis other comparable competitors. Ticketing is very basic. One issue that could have been done better is that this is more of a quoting system and not proposal based. So making fancier proposals you are best off using another platform.

Zoho Books and Xero

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

Portal for my customers to look at historical invoices.

Quickbooks Online
Alexandra R.
  • Industry: Design

Freshbooks is the perfect solutions for service based businesses

Reviewed on 26/11/2015

We've used Freshbooks for quite sometime now in our business. When searching for billing software, I needed something smoothe, mobile and also that allowed for customer portals that could be branded to our company. This was a big deal for us, so we absolutely wanted to make sure it was a feature in whatever software it was and Freshbooks did just that.

Freshbooks is super easy to use and handles everything from the customer accounts, to the invoicing to recurring charges and credits. At the end of the year, all the clients get a statement of their services they have paid for, and they never have to contact us about anything. They can review their bills at any time, and also accept estimates that are put together. It also is fabulous for integrations, and we currently use Google Apps, Gusto HQ and a few others to make it that much more effective.

Pros

Some of the biggest reasons we chose Freshbooks over other software:

*Incredibly smooth and easy to use interface
*Ability to brand your own in colors as well as add your logo
*Each customer can be assigned their own billing portal login and you can have multiple clients under one company but each have different username
*Utilizes Braintree payments (our primary merchant processor)
*Integrates with Google Apps and Gusto HQ
*Flat rate for up to 5 users, we currently use the Might Oak Plan
*Team tracking and hour logging for projects (huge deal since we work with contractors and they also have a free contractor add on option)
*Mobile App is killer - I pop off invoices like it's nobody's business :)

Cons

*Reporting could be improved
*Needs better reconciliation in terms of balances. You can do daily balance sheets, but I would rather have it calculate how my business is doing based on capital in our current account, then factor in what we earned and our expenses.
*Not good for businesses that have inventory, need inventory management (this I wouldn't necessarily rate as a con however, because Freshbooks was built and designed for SERVICE style businesses - for that it works great)
*Reporting can't be opened in the mobile app, you need to access it via the browser
*To my knowledge, you can't run multiple businesses out of one account. We currently have two businesses and are deciding if we are going to open up a separate Freshbooks account or if there is another option that's better suited for the second business.

Mirko P.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Who need an assistant using FreshBooks?

Reviewed on 27/09/2018

FreshBooks become an option later I test the 7 trail offer, all aspects on the software are very useful and really allow me to understand that my old control need a new view and use more powerful options to become more professional for my clients, FreshBooks give the tools and base to integrate that new professional look to my company, the best part of all, it’s that I don’t need to have more helping people to manage all this options, I can control everything on a single click and have a clear point of view of my company situation on real-time, that worth every penny invest on the subscription, and of course it’s more cheap that have an assistant.

Pros

FreshBooks it’s the best software to control all the billing aspects on any company, fully customization task, automatic invoices and easy to follow payments, also the reports become a dream to work with it, the pro and subscription options worth every penny, don’t forget that all your data is on the cloud so can be easy access from any place in the world, the mobile app become useful on travels.

Cons

Even if freshbooks allow us to register all our work and make a very professional invoice, the payment option not can be easy integrated, some banks accounts don’t accept JON export or have web integration options, also if the client made a payment using other methods, all the information need to be added by hand and take time.
The app for mobile are very low on features, could be a great option to bring more features or more access to all that freshbooks allow, for views it’s ok, but for work, need a lot improvements.

Emmanuel E.

Excellent Tool for the Small Business Creative

Reviewed on 21/02/2018

Excellent Tool for the Small Business Creative

Pros

I like how easy it is to track billables, how easy it is to create estimates and turn them into invoices, how wonderfully the app tracks invoices, expenses, and payments. I always know when my client has viewed the invoice. Freshbooks makes bookkeeping and accounting easy, and this is a plus for us with non-traditionally-logical creative brains. It is wonderful that I can use Freshbooks on my laptop and on the go with my cell-phone or tablet. The functionality is great for most users. I do need to track time (sometimes, just for myself to ensure I am on top of the project projections). I love that I can input receipt images - on the go - directly from my phone's camera or can upload them through files on the laptop/desktop app. I have used Quickbooks in the past, and it was far more robust than I needed. I am a one-person creative company and just needed time-tracking / estimate generation / invoicing / payment tracking / and expense tracking. And, of course, the lovely printable reports for my accountant. Freshbooks far surpasses my expectations.

Cons

It would be nice if I could set up invoicing once or twice a week and have it go out automatically on the date specified without having to create a recurring item. I like to do my desk work one day a week and if I knew I was invoicing someone at the end of the week for an already known amount, then I would like it to automatically send the invoice that day rather than me remember to go into Freshbooks and hit the send button on the draft. (I have a client that only wants to be invoiced every other Tuesday, but Tuesdays are busy for me so I do up her invoice for the work completed two weeks behind. I do my desk work after work hours on Fridays as that is the day my hubby is out and it does not interfere with the work day. Every other Tuesday I have a calendar reminder ping me to send her the invoice. It works for me. But, I would really love to schedule it and forget it.

Jose gregorio L.

With this application, the first thing I learned was managing finances within my business

Reviewed on 26/07/2018

Efficiency in the administration of my business. Good handling of invoices and collections. My business has grown because I can make better estimates of income and expenses. It is very easy to use and install. The learning curve is fast. The price is adequate according to the benefits it offers and its limitations. It is widely recommended for small and medium businesses that start and need a healthy and effective administration.

Pros

What I liked most about this application is that it allows me to be more effective in managing my bills, saving me money in hiring personnel for this task. Handling my bills well increases the effectiveness of my collections by growing my business. For a small business, it is excellent and it works very well, but for large companies the application works slow. I like how easy it is to learn how to use it. It is designed to be used by people with little or no experience in the financial management of the company. The application tracks the expenses of the company and sends invoices to customers to charge for your work, it's like having a very competent private secretary. I recommend it for entrepreneurs with little experience in the business world.

Cons

Among the things I do not like about this tool is that you can not make tax estimates to pay. In this case, the tax payment estimates must be calculated manually. This causes delays in the preparation of reports and increases the possibility of error margins. To perform this task and many others you need an internet connection. This limitation slows the workflow when there is no internet service. The system does not have a variety of graphic models for reports

Katie K.

User Friendly Accounting Software

Reviewed on 4/06/2019

Overall, our experience with FreshBooks was a positive one. It is a program that is simple enough for our team members to be able to answer customer questions, accept payments and create invoices, yet robust enough to provide our Director of Finance with the financial data he required for his reporting and projections.

Pros

Freshbooks is fairly intuitive, even if you do not have an accounting degree you can find the information you're looking for. Creating and publishing invoices is simple enough for anyone to do.
I like that there is a default description line for the product/service, but you can customize the content on an ad hoc basis when needed.
Pre-built reports exist to pull commonly requested data from the system.

Cons

When updating the name of a product / service, it would be nice if all existing line items on an invoice could be updated as well, instead of updating each item for each customer invoice manually.
When viewing a customer's invoice history, I would prefer to see the total at the bottom of the list be the outstanding amount due, instead of just a total of all invoices (paid or not).
It would be nice to have different invoice types/templates/layouts for customers with specific services (to indicate special terms or changes for example).
Additional customization of reports would be a nice addition.

Adam P.

Long time customer. Change cuts both ways

Reviewed on 30/04/2019

We have developed all of our solutions around fresh books from customizations in our workflow processing to selecting an accounting firm that will support our dependence and comfort with this platform. There is not yet total functional parity between the “old fresh books“ and new fresh books... but it is coming along...and the support is always outstanding while they get there

Pros

Hands-down the most impressive aspect of fresh books is the customer support. Monotonous tasks or more complicated requirements are approached by a customer support team that answers the phone instantly and works to help you get your work done. The advances that have been made especially in the payment handling utilizing the Advanced payment feature, which is an additional cost, has revolutionize the way our business is able to store and process payments using their PCI compliant service

Cons

The willingness for FreshBooks to hold onto it it’s more humble roots and allow long time small business or individuals to use their legacy accounts has declined quite significantly and it is not a good cultural shift. I have a harder time recommending freshbooks if for a small start up there is a cost on top of a learning curve. There needs to be a free tear if they are going to maintain the businesses that haven’t got off the ground yet

Laura S.
  • Industry: Accounting

You don't have to be an Accountant to Use it

Reviewed on 22/07/2019

I now keep books for my small freelance business and my personal expenses. And I am always referring friends and others to Freshbooks especially when they first start up - then once they do, they keep using it even after the business grows.

Pros

It was easy to follow and use - nothing complicated. Perfect for someone that isn't good at bookkeeping but has their own business with low overhead.

Cons

I really didn't dislike anything about it.

Wave Accounting and Xero

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

It was more cost effective and much simpler to use for my small business.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

1. East of use 2. Cost 3. The fact that I could log into ONE account and work with different companies.
Maria lenin L.

Effective payroll for Freelancers and Remote workers

Reviewed on 9/08/2018

Pros

With Freshbooks, there is accuracy on the employees' working hours. With the use of pomodoro, you can itemize and categorize the type of work done on every 30 minutes of the employees' scheduled shift. The Employer benefits the process where the employee is paid only on hours that the employee has been productive. Every minute is worth paying as time is maximized and utilized. With work details included, the management can see if the worker followed the tasks assigned and what still needs to be finished. The employee can link their paypal for payment option or salary payment method. As soon as it's approved, the pay is automatically transferred to the employees account and will be credited after 3 working days. It's easy to use and people are regrouped to their designated department or head. Tasks and time allotted can be edited in case hours should be adjusted.

Cons

Instead of employees concentrating on finishing tasks, freshbooks process is also an added task on their part where you have to use a timer and make sure that the tasks done are noted. The employees are usually paid less per day even if they were present or online within their given scheduled hours. Pay is not credited instantly and will be on pending for 3 days even if it was already approved by the Manager.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Freshbooks is One of Finance Management Tool Out There

Reviewed on 8/01/2021

I have done away with having new customer accounts, I can easily enter payments and receipts for customers. It has so many fantastic features that I keep up-to-date with how well my employees are progressing on a particular project while I follow up on improvements and development.

Pros

What do you like best?

appreciation to FreshBooks who have decimated the desk job requirement & taking out the burden. I have all the documents currently in an effective structure. In addition, when dealing with a particular venture, I have placed resources into specific tasks away from the period of work; thus, I will deal with the financial strategy and make certain potential plans for the new rates. Because of this time following the instrument, I am very clear in helping with consistency.

Cons

What do you dislike?
FreshBooks is working out in a good way and offering dependable types of assistance as it keeps all around the prepared and responsive group. I never have any serious issues nor did my group face any significant issues. I am cheerful that it will continue offering its best types of assistance and I will get to all highlights shrewdly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:
It is entirely sensible in cost and accessible in different plans as well, subsequently, it gives you an opportunity of determination as indicated by your spending plan. I likewise value its client assistance which offers dependable types of assistance and resolve all blunders in exceptionally less time.

Michele M.

Freshbooks for an Italian consultant

Reviewed on 19/12/2016

As an Italian lawyer, I advise a limited number of Italian and international clients and do my admin myself. Producing and sending accurate and timely Pro-forma invoices ("estimates" in Freshbooks terms), then invoices upon receipt of payment, and even worse recording expenses was a nightmare.
It no longer is.
The SW does take my time, but it forces me to be accurate and did solve the problem of communication with the accountant/tax advisor.

Pros

Easy, reliable, it did solve a ton of problems for me.
In particular, my documents (invoices and expense receipts, mainly) are safely and orderly kept in there.

Cons

As I mostly issue invoices to Italian clients, the setup was somewhat more complex: the application was not conceived to handle Italian taxation intricacies when preparing estimates, invoices.
But I did manage around the difficulties, and it did reorder my administrative life.
One suggestion: it would be very helpful to have the option to let the accountant see and print/download the attachments or edit the expenses; basically they should be able to do almost all I can do with the SW.
I had to give to an accountant my password, so he can now access Freshbooks as if he was me. They warn me when they do...

Kevin M.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Accounting software for non accountants

Reviewed on 16/02/2021

I used to use quick books and I hated every moment. Freshbooks is for the small business that isn't in business to do bookkeeping. You sell a service, you expense products, you invoice your client. Everything I need, nothing I don't.

Pros

It is so easy to use. I hate accounting, you don't setup a chart of accounts, etc. You track your expenses and time, you invoice them, it just works.

Cons

It would be nice to have some better ways to find old time entries, but its always being added to so it is likely going to be addressed later

Queen J.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Customer service is quick and friendly but they don't fix important issues

Reviewed on 30/07/2019

Good product but very buggy and major issues persist for months (or years). They make you go through so many hoops just to troubleshoot.

Pros

Invoicing
Time Tracker
Online payments

Cons

Two majors issues that are making me look elsewhere.
1. Time tracker doesn't always work. You pause your time and return later and it is still going. There is a huge disconnect between the app and website time tracker which causes sync issues. I've used a couple of other time tracker software tools and I didn't have this issue. It is important to have accurate time and I constantly have to adjust.
2. The invoicing is inaccurate. I didn't notice this until recently when I submitted an invoice for what should have been an even amount. I noticed my hours said 80 but the invoice total wasn't adding up. The hours on the invoice was short by about $10. This happened more than one. Every invoice I have to adjust the amount. I notified Freshbooks and again months late the issue still exists. I am definitely going to use another tool and say goodbye to Freshbooks for good.

Todd E.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Great service

Reviewed on 23/04/2020

Very enjoyable, easy to use. Right down to billing and recording payments from my phone.

Pros

I have been working with FreshBooks for a couple of years now and recently tried one of their additional bookkeeping/reconciling services through Bench. I gave it 6 months and realized that I didn't have enough transactions to make the service feasible. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was the person who assisted me in closing out that service and moving me back to the original Freshbooks plan. He did an excellent job of understanding my situation and ensuring that they had done everything possible to make things right. Along with the other live support I have used numerous times, the personal interactions with the team at Freshbooks has always been outstanding.

Cons

I'd like to to see some of the reporting functions have more flexibility to show things that are important to me. Things that would allow me to do more budgeting and planning.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

Simplicity and easy of use. Quick learning curve.
Ronnie H.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

My solid recommendation for Fresh Books

Reviewed on 14/12/2016

We have used Fresh Books for over three years. I am using it in a business for which it was not designed. We have a seafood processing business in The Fiji Islands in the South Pacific. We track seafood from buying a whole product and processing that product into it's final form which we sell to restaurants and resorts throughout this region. We do not track time. We track products and sales to customers. For us...Fresh Books works incredible well. We can track inventory, sales. and profits any time and in any place. The cost of Fresh Books is nominal in comparison to it's performance for us ..... I have owned multiple businesses and used multiple computer programs. Fresh Books has been the perfect solution for this new start up... and i am sure we will be using it for years to come... Thank you Fresh Books...

Pros

Extremely easy to use and to train new employees.
24 hour access anywhere you go.
Excellent reporting.
Allows customers all access to their account.

Cons

None that we can think of.. We have never even called in for help.....never.!!.

Great Software For start up contracting companies with a few employees

Reviewed on 27/10/2020

Compared to the several software’s that are used in the first few years FreshBooks was definitely the tops, it was professional they’ll offer a lot and they always kept your information even if you did use the software for a while. And the customer service was a standing

Pros

For start up contracting companies with a few employees it is ideal and offers a lot. It is priced affordable especially for what it offers.

Cons

Connecting it to my bank account and getting setup to take payments through fresh books I never could get right.

Nikaton K.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

FreshBooks

Reviewed on 7/08/2020

FreshBooks is a web based invoicing and bookkeeping programming intended for independently employed experts and entrepreneurs and their groups. It is anything but difficult to utilize in any event, for non-tech, non-bookkeeping clients

Pros

Spare TIME WITH AUTOMATION

From receipt suggestions to gathering installments, put your business on autopilot and invest more energy developing your business.

Hearty REPORTS FOR POWERFUL INSIGHTS

Watch out for your financials with canny reports that assist you with settling on more intelligent business decisions.

MORE WAYS TO GET PAID

Make paying solicitations a problem free involvement in online installments and put more cash in your pocket quicker

Cons

Did you realize that you can discover the entirety of the bookkeeping highlights you need across the board place? With FreshBooks, you have a wide scope of highlights and applications readily available so as to receipt easily, track costs and bills, see your money related status and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

It's easy to make and alter solicitations, include your logo and even send customized "thank you" messages. Include followed time and costs and produce propelled reports for your business

• Industry: Airlines/Aviation

An affordable alternative to traditional accounting but lack customisation and customer support

Reviewed on 4/08/2021

Pros

The affordability along with a holistic package of extended features make it a great beginner tool for small/medium businesses (SMEs) and sole-traders alike who are new to cloud-based accounting. FreshBooks come with robust mobile apps for both android and apple, enabling an on-the-go accounting.

Cons

FreshBooks offers very little customisation options for invoices or dashboard, making it quite primitive in comparison to competitors like Sage. This combined with a very backward customer service is certainly off-putting.

Kathryn S.

I love Freshbooks

Reviewed on 18/11/2016

I started a consulting business 4 years ago and FreshBooks was recommended as an invoicing software service by a software engineer. I started using it on Day 1 and learned how to use it in real time. It is very easy to figure out as you go, it is mobile and works on my phone and lets me create invoices automatically from unbilled time. It has a timer function that works on the phone as well as the computer. The invoices can be sent by snail mail, email or PDF'd. I have recommended it to several colleagues just starting out.

Pros

It is easy to figure out and use and if you can't figure it out, their support line is the best, by phone or email!!! It does everything I need to invoice clients and has a number of accounting report functions that are extremely useful. It has many more features than I actually use.

Cons

It could not keep track of two timers/clients at once, but I understand that they have added that feature.

Sarah H.

Trusted for years

Reviewed on 8/10/2020

We have a team of 10 and can easily track time on over 50 projects at once.

Pros

All the setup and features for an Advertising business were all there. We track time and invoice clients.

Cons

The latest version isn't as user-friendly for time tracking and invoicing at the original version.

Harvest

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

The retainers for recurring projects wasn't setup well at the time in the other platform.
Yulitza N.

Good, easy and practical.

Reviewed on 17/06/2018

Good management of my business, comfortable and very accessible to the consumer. It allows you to keep accounts and save profiles of buyers, without a doubt a good investment.

Pros

The diversity that it has for the designs, is designed for small businessmen and gives you a great variety of tools that are at your disposal. It's the kind of software you need when you start a business as a beginner. It is a great help to keep the accounting and billing, making a follow up to the cats that are held during each day. It also has the advantage of saving important customer information, it also has an optimized interface. In short, a great help, comfortable and available to everyone.

Cons

it does not allow you to make quarterly tax payment estimates, so you have to calculate them by hand or use a different program. In addition, there is the limitation of needing an Internet connection, but that is a minor problem nowadays. However, it provides exceptional value at a low price.

Andrew S.

Very pleased with the ease and speed of use

Reviewed on 14/11/2017

The ability to quickly invoice clients, without messing up the formatting, enabling me to get my invoices paid quickly.

Pros

I use Freshbooks to invoice clients, and it's a breeze. The user interface is as clear as you can get, and even the first time I jumped in ages ago, it was obvious what everything did, how to create an invoice, how to send it, etc.

The software makes creating the invoice and adding line items very easy, and you're able to send it quickly, with a minimum of fuss. My clients have always paid quickly, and I know I've heard that sending invoices via Freshbooks helps with this - people are used to receiving invoices from them, and that tends to make them pay faster apparently.

There's a feature to automatically remind clients, which sounds very useful. Although I haven't had to use it personally, the ability to send an automated reminder without having to sit there and type an email and try to find the exact right wording, etc, seems like a killer feature.

Cons

I haven't run into any real problems with Freshbooks at this point. I guess the one thing that has happened was that the first time I used it, I accidentally left a "Pay via Paypal" button clicked (or perhaps clicked it myself?) and I'm not sure exactly how this is displayed when the client sees it, but they took it as me saying "Please use Paypal" - which is definitely not my preference. That problem was easily solved with an email from them to me, and I have made sure not to click that button since.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Great program... but not for freelancers

Reviewed on 4/02/2020

Overall, the program is very strong and other than those few things I stated above, it was great. If you are not a freelancer, I think it may work out great for you.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use. It didn't take long to get up and running with it. I love all the reporting options.

Cons

I don't like how you pay based on how many clients you have (this is ultimately why I left them for another program). For freelancers, this is awful since we can rack up lots of clients that we may only work with once or twice. I mean, who has time to "make sure I don't go over 50 active clients"??? Also, a BIG miss was not having integrated e-sign contracts available. Most other competing products have this option already built-in at a similar or cheaper price point.