Deltek Vision Reviews

Deltek Vision

Write a Review!
Project management tool for professional services managers.

3.7/5
4.0/5
3.6/5
4.0/5

• Industry: Civil Engineering

The basic functions of this software are easy to use, but it also has more complex capabilities...

Reviewed on 9/05/2018

I am able to easily input and track time, expenses, purchasing, and payroll with the easy user interface

Pros

I like that this software is easy to learn and operate. It has a simple user interface in order to easily input time tracking and payroll line items.

Cons

The thing I like least about this software is the complexity. When searching for specific date, it is difficult to set the correct parameters in order to find exactly what I need to find.

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great tools for Project Managers

Reviewed on 30/12/2019

I believe this program is a significant upgrade over my firm's previous time tracking program. We should see the benefits within several months.

Pros

This is the second iteration of Deltek that I have used and there have been great additions since the last version I used. There are so many great tools for project management and tracking performance metrics. I particularly like the ability to schedule your work and availability -- this is great for work sharing with different offices/teams.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve to get yourself up to speed using all of the programs capabilities, but there are good resources and tutorials available to make sure you are getting the most out of the product. If you are only using it for timesheet purposes, I am not sure it is worth the extra cost.

Kevin
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Comprehensive software solution, but plan on building your processes around it

Reviewed on 7/03/2017

I've been the Vision champion in our organization since 2008 when we began to use it. Vision has been steadily improving over the past 10 years and also been getting left behind in innovation. Over our time with Vision we've evaluated other software at a few points and have not found a single solution that can provide a similar integrated experienced. The power of Vision and the reporting is built on Microsoft's SQL engine, but it does require users to be invested in learning it's use to get the most out of it. Without proper time devotion, training, and some trial and error it does leave users frustrated.

Along with the power of the product comes a lot of over-complication and reported amounts that often aren't as expected or isn't fully explained or clear on where the data is coming from and what it means. This is probably the primary problem with Vision in my eyes - data labeled in one area of the program isn't the same as data reported under the same or very similar label in another part of the program.

The end user experiences and ease of use is greatly lacking, but should be vastly improved as Vision is (finally) becoming modern and migrating from a .NET platform to a HTML/web-based platform. This upgrade shows promise of having better end user use and intuitiveness. We are hopeful that Vision will continue to be a tool for our company for many more years.

Pros

Powerful reporting and a mostly, all-in-one solution for managing our firm and projects

Cons

Usability. The lack of a user to be able to sit down with the product and pull the data they want without significant training. Data reported is calculated differently in part of the software - revenue in one area is actual billed amount while revenue in another is hours worked times billing rates.

• Industry: Architecture & Planning

A workhorse with a lot more features than I ever use

Reviewed on 14/11/2018

I sometimes consider Deltek a necessary evil, but it is as good a software as I have seen and used.

Pros

Deltek has been the tracking software of choice and previous firms I worked at. To me it is the standard for tracking time spent on projects and for tracking project performance. The ability to track an analyze multiple employees' input is beneficial. As a project manager, my interface was tracking and project planning. Accounting and management used Deltek extensively to track project and firm performance.

Cons

Deltek can do a lot of things, and can easily get very confusing for staff who may not have extensive software training in its functionality.

Efficient Software

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Pros

Very flexible piece of software that is simple to use and can be configured to be impactful in an array of situations. You do not need to be a programmer to learn how to set it up. The software is very responsive and it is seamless between time and billing.

Cons

The software is only available on Explorer. I find it difficult to somethings find out what information I need out of it. I have also had issues with the saving function, which results in lost work, time and sometimes having to completely start over. Would like to see the copy and paste functionality be improved.

• Industry: Civil Engineering

It works, but isn't a great user experience.

Reviewed on 18/10/2019

It feels like software from the mid 2000s. It works, but is clunky and unpleasant. I find myself going through many unnecessary clicks to accomplish common tasks. E.g. When entering a comment for a task e, i need to type it, click in a separate comment box to ensure it's saved, and then only can I navigate away. I don't think they would be in business long if they launched today without their existing legacy user base.

Pros

It accomplishes the task it sets out to do. It logs time.

Cons

It has an outdated user interface, and the navigation is not well thought through.

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Deltek is very good to use!

Reviewed on 30/06/2022

it is a very good tool and something there can be some learning curve.

it is a very good tool and something there can be some learning curve.

Pros

Deltek is very flexible in terms of building timesheet with different projects and hours. The smallest hour unit I know is 0.5 which is very good! It allows me to report a more real time spend.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to find a certain project if I only know half of the name and not the beginning.

Nick
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

An important tool done well, albeit a little blocky

Reviewed on 15/04/2019

Pros

It's software that brings a number of important business tasks into one place and keeps them organised well. For audit sake in a large business, this is a must.

Cons

Without training, it's not user friendly. However with appropriate training, even the smallest amount to be familiarized with the system, it feels more user friendly and manageable to someone less savvy.

• Industry: Architecture & Planning

Deltek Vision works when you need it too.

Reviewed on 2/12/2018

I inherited a pretty customized Vision, which was not reliable. Once stripped back to bone stock, the application never has issues it seems.

Pros

Their in house support is excellent. They understand the importance of their software running efficiently for customers to have success.

Cons

What I like least is that we have to go through a reseller to renew each year instead of direct.

Deb

Robust but works well!

Reviewed on 10/06/2016

Pros

Customer service is always there and they don't give up. Deltek is continuously looking for feedback and ways to improve their software to better serve their customer. Very robust from the proposal stage to invoicing and financial reporting. A complete ERP system.

Cons

It's robust since it covers all the departments in your organization. This makes it complex and hard to learn without time spent in training.

Susan

Used Vision's General Ledger primarily in my role to produce month end and year end financial...

Reviewed on 10/01/2018

Pros

The general ledger was easy and logical for an accountant. The work breakdown structure allowed for reporting consolidated reports as well as subsidiary level, office level, and departmental reports. Vision handled large amounts of transactions and data efficiently.

Vision offers functionality to do time sheets and expense reports remotely.

Vision has great security features that can remove access to certain areas or information based on an employees role in the Company. It is easy to remove rights immediately when employees leave the Company. In addition, roles can control who can make changes or post transactions.

Vision allows for automated reporting. For example, an Accounts Receivable report can be automatically sent to an employee's email on a scheduled basis.

Cons

The software is not logical for non-accountants. The software is primarily for A'E firms but very difficult for those users. Most of the engineers are unable to write and run project reports. When they do get a report, the report isn't easily understood.

The software is difficult to support internally and requires a database specialist to get maximum value. Vision contains a massive amount of data but the canned reports do not always offer the different types of data in same report. Unless you can write custom reports, you will have to pay expensive consulting fees.

Nicole

Deltek Vision Review

Reviewed on 20/03/2017

Some of the areas are easy to use but some stuff is hard to find and add. It would be better to have simple terms and explanations in order to add information or search boxes, we have trouble sometimes configuring reports. The layout seems simple but it is actually kind of confusing. I would like to be able to change things and have more control to manipulate and still be able to run the reports under my projects. We are working and figuring it out as we go but still having trouble figuring out how to populate the information we are looking for because it is what we think it is. Also, sometimes it is hard to add in things because it is hard to figure out what sub area that item would be in. Overall I just feel the product could be a little more user friendly for running reports and customizing things. We are trying to incorporate Vision more this year to get the rest of our team on board so I hope to learn more as we go, but I still find that ultimately it takes a lot of time to figure some of the things out just because it isn't really intuitive at all. I think vision should go around and meet with those using the product to see what more they could change to make it more user friendly. It is hard to explain over a written review. I will say however, that the program does work great for tracking projects invoices and such so overall on that part I am satisfied.

Pros

Tracking projects

Cons

Not intuitive when it comes to customizing and running reports. Too many sub areas and can be hard to find the right thing.

Sandra

Vision Review by Accounting

Reviewed on 28/02/2017

Vision has good features and is lacking in some features. Vision used to be able to alphabetize A/R Statements when we initially started using it. Through upgrades, Vision lost that feature that we found valuable for our billing process. Vision is lacking in end of year reporting functionality. For example, end of year 1099 functionality is lacking. States require the account id assigned to companies to be reported on 1099s. Vision is currently unable to print accurate paper copies nor is it able to provide an accurate electronic file. Customer support was not able to help me and I had to manually edit the electronic file in order to have a 1099-MISC that would pass our state's criteria. Vision does not provide reporting for form 1099-INT which I need for reporting interest on shareholder payouts. Financial reporting is lacking some. Balance Sheets typically have Assets on page 1 and Liabilities and Equity on page 2. I have not found a way to easily achieve this with settings in Vision. I have employees that would like to be able to review their payroll withholdings and paystubs at any given time, but are not able to do that. At times, Vision is disappointing for the Accounting department. At other times, it is a rock star for us.

Pros

Integregrates the engineers project management with accounting reporting.

Cons

Payroll tax/End of Year Tax Reporting is lacking.

Katherine
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Deltek Vision ERP Implementation needs an onsite professional

Reviewed on 15/11/2016

The controller left December 31st. The company went live February 1st. I began February 6th and I had never seen Deltek Vision before that day. Deltek Vision is a powerful, project management software which can help you have almost real-time visibility into all aspects of your business. Hi, my name is Kathy Nixon and I am a CPA, a PMP, and a professional coach. Post-acquisition mergers of systems, processes, and teams is my niche.
This assignment had me serving as interim corporate controller of a $130M+ Revenue company who was merging its three companies currently on Quickbooks all into one system, Deltek Vision.

Greatest take-aways:
1. Designate a Subject Matter Expert. It can be a Deltek Vision consultant or a third-party consultant with heavy Deltek Vision experience.
2. Develop a Steering Committee across all company disciplines and meet weekly. Decision making and joint buy-in is important.
3. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate. Communication to all areas of your organization is imperative to the success of the implementation.
4. Train, review, test, train some more. It takes a village to raise this child.
5. Designate or hire a project manager. For success, you need someone focused on all areas of this software's implementation. Setup, testing of setup, training, input, verify input accuracy, invoicing, collections, accounting and financial reporting.
6. Expect 6 months (to a year) before everyone is onboard.
7. Develop a budget which includes 5 times the software's cost. Yes, five times. It is a pay me now or pay to correct it later proposition.

Good luck! Wishing you success. Let me know how I can help.

Jeanice

My Experience

Reviewed on 28/02/2017

Overall, Vision is good. One feature I do not care for is the reporting and the fields are not in alphabetical order. I love the advanced search feature in reporting. I love the A/R transaction input experience where you just pull the invoice and it puts everything in. That is outstanding. Timesheets is another great feature of Deltek. One thing I feel needs to improve is the A/R search under the Accounting Tab/Accounts Receivable/Invoice Review, if you don't know the invoice number and search by client, it pulls all projects for that client. It should only pull those projects with outstanding A/R. I don't care for the customer service thru the help. Calling was much better.

Pros

The A/R transaction entry, the advanced search in reporting, timesheet processes.

Cons

The project reporting list of fields not in alphabetical order when you are trying to create a report. I know you can sort but it would take that step away if it was automatic. The search for an invoice number under Accounting/Accounts Receivable/Invoice Review.

Leigh
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Review of Vision

Reviewed on 7/03/2017

I used Vision from July 2007 thru the present, my company was bought out last fall and we are forced to switch to BST as our accounting system. Vision is infinitely superior to BST. BST is an abomination it takes twice as long AT LEAST to do anything. I wish we could continue to use vision. It was more flexible, intuitive and efficient.

Pros

It is intuitive and versatile and could be used to meet our customers needs.

Cons

Compared to BST which I have to use now I love everything about Vision. When I had not experienced the contrast I would say there were some fields that you typed in that you had to expand to use and that was a nuisance. Or that in interactive billing there is a lot of gray space that I would rather see my data in. However, I had ever used BST before I would have be thrilled to open the screen to change the notes instead of 5 components to do one invoice.

Jon
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Can do almost anything you want, but not intuitive

Reviewed on 20/04/2017

Vision has the ability to track time and expenses and prepare project plans and report out that information in infinite detail. Benefits to your firm can be vast from timesheets, to project plans to CRM data and coordination.
However its unlimited potential also leads to a lack of intuitive processes for the casual user. Lots of training time is required for high performance users to be able to track and understand the data and reporting and connection. Can require significant time to accurately input and adjust details as project fees and schedules change.

Pros

Ability to report out data and create customizable reports and methods of reviewing and previewing that data. Useful for forecasting and reviewing upcoming projects.

Cons

Not user friendly or intuitive. Field names and connections to other fields are not readily apparent. Takes years to become fluent in the program.

Charon

Current User, Worked with Super Users

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

It has been a great tool. it makes me brush up on some financial skills that I haven't needed for a while. its useful for the whole company but I wish it were more easier to incorporate things as for all staff to learn.
Overall I love working in Vision.

Pros

Its easy to lear, tons of data files to export and use. there are some very useful features. A company could run all financial aspects and management tools of their firm with this one system but for a bit of money. There are options to use this in the cloud. Training is available although at a cost. Many advantages, many uses.

Cons

Would be great if there was a ease of use for non-financial personnel. More useable help links that really get you to where you need to be, less costly. Wish it was not going away.

Meredith
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Useful Data Organization and Management Tool

Reviewed on 9/12/2021

While Vision is a somewhat older-looking software it functions more logically and is much better organized than its newer version (Vantagepoint). There are some clunky workflows but with training and daily use, they are easily overcome. The product itself really helps to keep things organized and provides options for reporting that can be shared system-wide.

Pros

I like that data is laid out in a logical way and certain custom development seems to be integrated with fewer issues than other software programs. Also, you can search across different hubs to ensure your results are specifically tailored to your needs.

Cons

I don't like how certain workflows open windows that restrict your ability to access the information behind them.

Eric

EMajor Civil Engineer Review of Deltek Vision

Reviewed on 11/04/2017

I have used many of the tools in Vision, including the new iAccess and am excited to see what continues to improve. I do have one wish that i hope could be granted and that is to have iAccess show the project task and phase (not just the number) when your cursor is in a cell to enter time, like it shows in Vision. That way it will allow a double check as a user enters their time, I have found more errors when team members are using iAccess because they may not realize they are entering a code for ROW in Phase 53 and it should have been Utilities in Phase 52. And the line chart showing actual and planned progress will become a great asset. Thanks

Pros

Ease of tracking time and ability to break down complex projects and filter billings.

Cons

iAccess doesn't show a project description when entering cells, see comment in review

Diane

Deltek 2020

Reviewed on 7/03/2017

I have been a Deltek user for 25 years and have gone through many software changes from CFMS to Advantage to Deltek. Your team is very good with upgrades and now that we are in the Cloud, even better. We utilize your Knowledge base before we place a call for Chat. Your team members are very good at following up to make sure our question / concern was addressed. If I could add one thing to my wish list it would be a fully integrated HRMS module. Deltek's flexibility has enabled me to create my own, but a fully functioning module would be tremendous benefit for me.

Pros

The integration of data between departments. I also like the capabilities for user designed fields.

Cons

Some integration has not been successful. Would like to carve out some time to address again.

Kelly

Great Program, Lots of Capability

Reviewed on 30/03/2017

We are a small architecture firm and, honestly, Vision is probably way bigger than what we actually have needed in the past. That said however, we have really benefitted from the portions of the program that we do use and have used, and there are several new portions that we are just starting to grow into. Our experience with the customer service team has been great, they really take the time to work with you so you understand what you're doing, and the Quick Chat feature is great for those quick little questions you have from time

Pros

The capabilities are amazing.

Cons

It's a bit bulky. I wish that there was more of an "a la carte" way to use the program. We are a small design firm, and a good chunk of Vision isn't really anything we use.

David
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Deltek Vision Review for Engineers

Reviewed on 6/11/2018

Pros

Easy to keep track of time for consultants. Fairly easy to navigate through the system, but you need to use it all the time otherwise you'll forget. I like the fact that it predicts or can search for fields even if you don't have a full job number for a project. I also like that there is an APP for the software.

Cons

Takes too long to load up. My android app also isn't so fast , and there isn't as many options available on the app as I would like (i.e. to read comments that people write before I approve their timesheet or expense sheet).

Jennifer
  • Industry: Market Research

Great Customizable Solution for Project Based Firms over 100 and growing

Reviewed on 18/04/2017

Vision is an amazing tool that allows end users the ability to configure and customize the program to their needs. There are some limitations with what the SAAS / Cloud Option can do and definite delays with needing things done with when working with the Cloud Ops Team, however normal Customer Support is amazing. Definitely spend the money in consulting and developing the program prior to deployment, will save the organization money in the long run and make end users happy.

Pros

Configurable, fully integrated ERP, project based,

Cons

Being a cloud based customer, the delay in which the Cloud Operations team responds to issues and how they communicate.

Adam

Deltek - Vision

Reviewed on 30/06/2022

The biggest impact we have seen is the compressed time is takes to get invoicing out. With the time entry happening on a daily basis into Vision, we can generate invoicing in half the time.

Pros

What we have found most useful in Vision is Time Entry to specific projects and the resulting monthend billing. It is a seamless process.

Cons

The project Management module is geared towards bigger projects than we work on. Would be nice to see a scaled back version for a firm of our size.