SumUp

4.5 (1,403)
Write a Review!
We believe in the everyday hero

(1,403)
4.6/5

Marcus
Marcus

We have increased our customer satisfaction greatly, and easu/

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

customer frequency has increased greatly. Quarterly customers become monthly, and monthly customers become weekly. It adds up quickly. Customers enjoy the rewards programs, because it requires no membership card, and it is easy to redeem rewards.

Pros

Ease of use. My staff required nearly zero training on this product, and the down time for the hardware is less than 1% of our operational time.

Cons

It is a little pricey. That is why I rated it 4 stars for value at cost. But, it is very worth the expense. The question about how often do we use the software does not allow for our actual frequency of use which is closer to "every 5 minutes" than Daily, which was the most frequent response allowed.

Alexander
Alexander
  • Industry: Translation & Localisation

Good system for writing invoices and basic income/expense tracking

Reviewed on 4/07/2019

As stated above, overall I'm happy with Debitoor - what it actually does it does fairly well. But I don't like the fact that they try to advertise themselves as this all-in-one invoicing and accounting solution when the feature set is still very limited. For example, you can't even create or upload your own invoice templates (something many similar services allow) - you have to set up your invoice template using Debitoor's limited options.

Pros

I like the fact that it's easy to create invoices and you can track whether the recipient has received them. You can also link your bank accounts and categorize and track income and expenses (i.e. whether an invoice has been paid, etc.)

For these purposes, Debitoor works really well.

Cons

Despite Debitoor's claims, I wouldn't use the system for preparing and filing taxes or working with a tax advisor unless your underlying situation is very simple. As soon as things get even slightly more complex, you find that Debitoor simply doesn't support a number of different scenarios. My tax advisor has also said that the reports/export files that they receive are more or less unusable and do not conform to standard German accounting practice.

Lexie
  • Industry: Design

Do not buy if you’re in Australia

Reviewed on 12/12/2023

Do not get this if you’re in Australia. Buy square instead. I purchased 5.5 weeks before my market event for Christmas, where I had purchased a lot of stock to sell. The device came quickly, I’ll give them that. I set it up, loaded all my products on the back end and did the verification process. The reader sat there for the rest of the time until two days before my event, I turned it on just to make sure it was working. Everything seemed fine but something in the app said I needed to verify myself, which I had already done (sent my drivers license etc), so I did it again and it said it should only take a few hours to verify, which was fine because I still had two days until the event. The day before it was still not verified but in the app it tells you that it’s connected and working, so I assumed it would be ok after going through the verification process twice already! There’s also no number to call, so you don’t have a lot of options or support on a weekend. I got to the event and the reader declined ALL payments because of a security issue. I lost thousands of dollars in sales because nobody caries cash anymore. I sent a support ticket with all of this info and I get a response THREE days later saying that my account is now verified and I can start taking transactions. Bit late and I can’t get rid of this Christmas stock now until Christmas 2024. 6 months of planning down the drain because I decided to give SumUp a go, when I should have just gone with Square.

Pros

It’s relatively low cost upfront and cheaper transaction fees but I never got to use it!

Cons

Customer service is non existent. You have to verify yourself multiple times and then it’s likely it won’t accept payments on the day you need it most

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to SumUp

Outlay cost was less and transaction fees lower, but I should have gone with square. It’s more reliable
Frusquin

Good software that rewards its customers

Reviewed on 28/11/2023

Pros

Loyalty programs strengthen the relationship between customers and the company, enticing customers to return to enjoy the rewards. By offering incentives, these programs encourage customers to make repeat purchases, which can contribute to sales growth. Loyalty programs allow businesses to collect data on customer purchasing preferences and habits, providing thus useful information to personalize offers better understanding customers, companies can target their marketing efforts more precisely, thus improving the effectiveness of their campaigns.

Cons

Setting up and managing a loyalty program may incur costs, particularly for issuing rewards, managing the associated technology and promoting the program.
Programs that are too complex can discourage customer participation if they find it difficult to understand the rules or keep track of their rewards. Some customers might be loyal primarily because of rewards, which can make loyalty less stable if rewards are changed or removed. In some industries, many loyalty programs coexist, which can dilute the impact of each and make differentiation more difficult.

Krisztina
Krisztina
  • Industry: Restaurants

Daily user

Reviewed on 28/04/2023

Pros

Easy, reports are available, filters are useful

Cons

connection sometimes is not so good, but mostly no problem

Marcelo
Marcelo
  • Industry: Telecommunications

SumUp, the best to sell and make money.

Reviewed on 9/02/2020

My experience was in the ads I saw on TV, and I decided to find out more, it was in 2018 that I saw that interest rates are low, starting with the excellent service for sale and after sales, delivery to my residence was fast, without any problem, and I have been using the device for 2 years and sales have grown since then, very good, well worth it.

Pros

I liked the software because you can earn good money on it by selling, usually people arrive at the store and have no money but she knows that there she accepts card machines the customer can buy, fast, practical and safe.

Cons

I never had any problem with SumUp, excellent service.

Humberto
Humberto

It's always great to receive an added bonus

Reviewed on 11/08/2019

Pros

The software is easy to use for customers. You just use your phone number and create an account. So many companies use them for added bonuses when you buy something using their membership. I've gotten discounts, free meals, and even gotten recommendations for new places because of Fivestar.

Cons

Honestly, I haven't had any issues with Fivestar at all as a customer. The only time I've gotten frustrated with it has been because the store or restaurant that uses Fivestar has had internet issues and I don't get my points.

Coty
Coty

Great option for loyalty programs!

Reviewed on 12/09/2019

Overall, Fivestars has given us the chance to reward our customers and a great price and and an awesome way to manage our promos and program! I'd highly recommend them!

Pros

Fivestars made creating and managing our loyalty program in store so fun and easy! It allows us to create promotions, coupons, track loyalties, and customize every aspect of our program!

Cons

Using this software, I have no experienced anything about this that we did not like. It has been a very pleasant and fun experience

Fedra
Fedra
  • Industry: Photography
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

It is an excellent software!!

Reviewed on 16/04/2019

I've a small photographic company that is emerging and I'm looking for the right tools to accompany it in its growth. Having an administrator of invoices, forms and budgets, expenses that also allows me to have a register of clients and products is something that would do well to my company, so I am evaluating the purchase of this service. I think it offers many benefits and at a good price.

Pros

The interface is intuitive and it's very friendly. It's easy to use, everything is very organized. Immediately after placing the country in which I reside, the exact amount of the tax charged in the country is placed. You can modify the templates of the emails that customers will receive with the invoice data. It allows to have a client registry, saves predetermined messages. It allows to take an expense management. . I can have a list of products The truth is that I like it a lot. I'm looking at the trial version and it's convincing me to have it in my business. The prices are quite accessible and from what I see you can easily climb if you have a small company like mine.

Cons

So far everything I've seen and tried from the software I really like, including the price since it's very accessible.

Roy
Roy
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Fivestars is a wonderful restaurant rewards program that gets your customers back

Reviewed on 11/10/2019

Overall, I would recommend this customer loyalty program. A large portion of my customers use it and I see them coming back for more.

Pros

The best part of this application is my customers get rewards for eating at my restaurant. The more they come, the more points they get. In return the more business I get, a lot of people use this.

Cons

The set up process is a little confusing. I had called customer service for help and was on hold for half an hour.

Edmond
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Theft, Sumup are holding back £20,000 + of our funds for no reason without giving any reason

Reviewed on 7/03/2024

Pros

To start with they were great now Sumup are holding back £20,000 + of our funds for no reason without giving any reason

alex

We been with five stars for over four years now. Minus a few quirks, we'd do it all over again!

Reviewed on 17/07/2018

I cannot stress how valuable a solid email list is. Combine that with selective marketing and Five Stars continues to strive for my business.

Pros

It has been so long that I am really not sure but I think, the box doesn't even come with instructions. It's one of those things that really is that simple. When we first subscribed to the service I was like, what's up with the cost? I love being wrong, I was way wrong. This does the job of three employees and doesn't have "a family emergency" every Sunday. It gets down to the core of marketing. Gather your data base and learn from your customers. We really enjoy being able target specific emails or sms to your allocated groups. If someone hasn't been through your doors in a while. The dang computer sends them a sweet old "come back and see us message on it's own!" Come on!

Cons

Okay, let's talk about it. It's more expensive than some of it's competitors. (After having s few, I'd rather pay the extra.) And dang it guys. Please someone in the IT department schedule updates during non-business hours. Pretty, pretty please.

Mohamed
Mohamed
  • Industry: Entertainment

Love local fivestar drive my business

Reviewed on 9/08/2019

I use Fivestars at Hideout, for calculating daily sales, use it as a tool for marketing and drive the sales thought multiple dimensions.

Pros

Loyalty program, low cost and convenience

Cons

No yet has the customer pay by phone option.

Square Payments

Reasons for Choosing SumUp

Economical

Elavon
  • Industry: Research

Great paperless platform for rewards

Reviewed on 4/03/2019

Fivestars gets rid of the hassle of bringing my rewards cards to the vendor/small business each time I order something. Usually I forget to bring my physical reward card, or lose it.

It'd be cool if users could transfer their stars/rewards to other users through the software (from user to user, not just from company to customer).

Pros

I like that I can easily gain rewards from multiple small businesses that I frequent through the same platform. All of my credit cards and information are tied to the same account, so that if I happen to use a different card, I still will accumulate benefits from the business.

Cons

The layout of the FiveStar software is a bit different at Urban Ritual compared to what I'm used to at other businesses. Finding how many stars I have is more difficult at Urban Ritual, since the screen is crowded with other information such as how many stars it takes to get 'x' reward vs. 'y' reward. It would be nice to highlight how many stars you have vs. how many stars you need for rewards on a uniform graph, such as a progress bar of sorts.

The good and the bad.

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Pros

Fivestars is an excellent software that is easy to use and is great for rewarding current clients. You can customize the rewards you give to current clients very easily. The text out feature is also nice to get your current promotions out.

Cons

When you sign up for the program they sell you on the business matching (marketing) for people that are on the app and near your business. You can create specials that pop up when people that use the app are near by. The problem is they don't switch on business matching for you unless you sign up 20 new fivestars members a week. I operate a spa that sees a lot of repeat clients and we don't always have 20 new clients a week which makes it very hard to be able to utilize this part of the service. I think smaller businesses should know this before they pay the big price tag for the hardware and service. Or they should find a way to include smaller businesses more effectively.

Trey

Excellent Loyalty Rewards Program for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 1/12/2016

The pros: We are a large consignment clothing store and are fairly new to formal loyalty programs. The Fivestars program has been immensely popular and has definitely resulted in revenue increases. Out flash sales have transformed into buzz-worthy events where, before, they were hardly noticed. We strongly recommend Fivestars if you are looking into a rewards/loyalty program for your small biz. Retention has been very high as reward points/spiffs have become a valuable commodity for our shoppers.

Now for the (minor) cons: There does not seem to be much crossover between our business and others that use Fivestars based upon our anecdotal eveidence. I wish it was more of a local movement. Maybe one day it will be. Also, as far as the technical underpinnings, the API should be exposed to worthy customers (or those willing to pay a modest fee) so that they might integrate it with lesser-known point-of-sale platforms or databases; the company essentially refuses to do this, even though it would benefit both parties. Also, the tablets provided are nice but not without the difficulties associated with wi-fi enabled Android devices. Sometimes they go haywire and we are shut down inexplicably. Let's hope hardware improvements come. ( i'd bet Apple iPads, for instance, would probably provide a huge boost to the overall system reliability.)

Pros

See review.

Cons

See review.

Lindsey

Good all round payment system, highly recommended

Reviewed on 13/01/2023

Very good and easy use for first time users.

Very good and easy use for first time users.

Pros

Good all round payment system, highly recommend for small/first time business owners. Also larger business owners too. Charges are inexpensive and the system is small, compact, easy to use and the battery is good and lasts me about 3 days before needing a recharge.

Cons

Not really many cons to look at unless you are paying for both this system and a booking system which also takes payment.... Then it's double charges. Other than this all good.

Dave

Sum up good for card or remote payment links

Reviewed on 7/05/2023

I've never had any issues, occasionally a connection issue but a simple reset sorted it.

Pros

In my business the sumup card reader is critical as students and parents all naturally assume card payment facilities are available and setup for bank transfer etc was very straightforward

Cons

It seems certain cards (mainly amex) take quite a few days for payments to clear. No idea why

Jessica
Jessica

Pretty Standard, Nothing to Sneeze at.

Reviewed on 17/07/2019

Fivestar picks pretty good companies, or vise versa. That gives me the impression there is a good level of trust there, and Vendors that I speak to about it out of curiosity. This is encouraging when giving this sort of feedback. As a consumer/customer, I find it pretty easy to use and easy to navigate!

Pros

This is a pretty neat idea to have as an extra little something when you visit a favorite business of yours or to try something new. I have personally noticed that some “perks” are offered by the business pretty casually, but nice to have them all in one place.

I will say that it is a neat and accurate feature to try out what is in the area. Not ideal too much if you don’t live in an area should you never have a chance to use it continuously, but great for local places.

Cons

This app works rather accurately with what it claims, so no real complaints. I cannot wait to see more places that will jump on and use it.

• Industry: Mining & Metals

FiveStars Review

Reviewed on 16/02/2023

Overall, I think that FiveStars is a solid digital marketing solution for small businesses looking to improve their customer experience and loyalty program. However, it's important to consider the high cost and the fact that FiveStars' loyalty program is better suited for retail businesses with frequent customers.

Pros

I found FiveStars to be very user-friendly for both customers and employees. Customers could easily sign up for the loyalty program through the mobile app or physical loyalty card, and employees could easily scan barcodes to record purchases and loyalty points. FiveStars' digital marketing tools were also very helpful for sending personalized offers and promotions to customers, which helped to improve the overall customer experience.

Cons

There is also a negative aspect to consider. I found that the cost of FiveStars was quite high for a small business like mine, especially when you take into account monthly fees, transaction fees, and additional costs for offers and promotions. Additionally, I think that FiveStars' loyalty program is better suited for retail businesses with frequent customers, rather than businesses with less frequent customers.

Adnan

Efficient and practical program

Reviewed on 4/07/2019

All in all: I can recommend this software.

All in all: I can recommend this software.

Pros

The user interface is very simple.
I write all my offers and bills exclusively with debitoor. I have my finances totally under control and can easily digitally review all my expenses.
The app runs seamlessly (android). I honestly do most of my work on my phone while I'm on the go, thanks to debitoor.
The customer service is quick to reply and friendly.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to report.

Kerry

Five Stars is great for discounts

Reviewed on 10/05/2019

I really like that software and ease of use with it, but I can't stand their customer support. I'll be contacted by 3 or 4 people in one week about an issue that one person can handle. They don't seem to have a lot of communication between team members, as well as not being able to just solve simple issues without making a big deal out of it.

Pros

I like that this system integrates with the POS that we already use. This helps a lot when training new employees as it's somewhat simplified. I also do like that I can send out messages whenever I choose to notify our customers of sales/promotions we may be running.

Cons

I don't like that they automatically send texts to our customers to get them back in the store within 30, 60, or 90 days. I don't want my customers to be too overwhelmed with texts from this system.

courtney
  • Industry: Tobacco

This loyalty service has been awesome for our company, brings back tons of repeat customers.

Reviewed on 13/07/2018

Repeat customers, new customers, happy customers!

Repeat customers, new customers, happy customers!

Pros

That it keeps encouraging repeat customers to come back. You can provide any type of reward for your customers and all the points/ redemptions are customizable. They come out with software updates and those are automatically installed.

Cons

Sometimes it can be slow, even when it seems that our internet has good connection. However it's hard to be certain if that's their system or ours.

Meghan
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great Concept, Expensive for Small Business

Reviewed on 1/05/2023

Overall, FiveStars has helped us reach a larger customer base and maintain customer loyalty.

Pros

Provides a central system for customers to track rewards with multiple businesses.Sends coupons to customers to attact more business.Enhances customer loyalty to your business.Easy to navigate for the customers, easy to deploy for the business.

Cons

Somewhat pricey for a small business.Some customers complain about losing reward points due to lack of notifications.

Steve

Fivestars brings loyalty programs to all restaurants

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

Fivestars allows for enhanced customer experience through customizable loyalty programs.

Pros

For the business owner (not just restaurants), this enables you to incentivize repeat customers without having to set up your own program. The most valuable part of Fivestars is the data that they provide regarding customer visits and spending patterns. It's definitely worth it to provide a discount or free item in exchange for all the repeat business. Fivestars will provide a tablet with an app and you can go ahead and custom the type of deals you want to offer.

Cons

Fivestars relies on the customer providing a telephone number as their UUID. This is quite the security risk and also isn't the best customer experience. They finally have a mobile app now but it's mainly for checking progress and points. It would be best if they setup some type of NFC so that you can just tap to check-in.