Descript

Transcription management and video & audio editing software

4.8 /5 (88 reviews) Write a Review!

Cameron S.

The podcast editing tool that has helped us scale our podcast editing agency

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Descript helps my team collaborate with clients on their podcast episodes. Hosts give us their recordings and then they leave us feedback in the form of comments on the transcript. It makes communication clear for everyone on our team and the collaboration features make it possible for us to have our remote team. We are able to help our clients sound their best with the filler word detection, something that would not be an effective option if we were editing with audio alone.

Pros

I love how easy it is to edit audio using the auto transcription. It allows for other great features like filler word and word gap detection/removal. The integration with Zapier allows us to import new media, and the publishing integrations allow us to export to hosts and other apps we use in our clients workflows.

Cons

For more advanced editing, I wish there were integrations with Adobe Audition that would make it easy to locate spots that have been commented on and then reimport or sync the changes. For our workflow, I would also love if we could utilize an API to directly integrate Descript with our workflow rather than needing to utilize Zapier.

Aemyn C.
  • Industry: Online Media

The future of podcasting is still just over the horizon

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Overall, using Descript is a super positive experience.

We're able to preview episode scripts with clients which makes the approval process a better experience for them. Our scriptwriters are able to work directly with the audio and transcript at the same time and when they're done, we can export the raw project for cleanup and sound design in an external DAW which is awesome forethought from Descript. With other projects, editing and sound design and exporting can be done entirely in Descript and I'm really happy with the results.

Despite its limitations and bugs, I still struggle not to recommend Descript to anyone making a podcast.
Whatever you're doing, there is a good chance you will find a place for it in your process, just maybe not as much or as reliably as you would like.

Pros

Descript is a strong collection of audio tools that just weren't available when I started making podcasts. The ability to organise, collaborate and publish an audio project in the cloud with a friendly interface is great and used to be a huge pain to figure out. Editing audio with the transcript and the waveform at the same time allows you to skip a bunch of technicalities and focus on your creativity. Video capabilities expand the possibilities, and the overall suite of tools make me rethink entirely what podcast editing can or should be in a good way.

Cons

Stability is the biggest problem I have with this. After working on about a lot of different projects with different collaborators, I'm still coming up against things that make it freeze, make it crash, or break a project (usually salvageable at least), and end up needing to work around issues to keep things rolling.

Also, while Descript has a lot of features, in comparison to any long-standing audio software it leaves so much to be desired. There are many missing tools that would add a lot of room for creativity and technical cleanup. Things like audio meters, noise gate, spectrum analysis, filters to automate creatively, ducking, but also the more unexpected effects like reverb, stereo delay, pitch shifting, layered FX, these are all things podcasters of any kind might want to use for effect at some point and many folks I know can't, or don't want to tell their stories without them.

This is especially true for video which misses on some basic transformations like rotation for text and images.

Zaiba S.

For Perfect Transcriptions

Reviewed on 7/06/2021

This is a must-have product that will simplify your life. You won't realize how much time it saves until you use it. Fortunately, there is a fantastic free trial to try it out. The shortcuts are really useful and will save you a significant amount of time. There is a lot to learn, but once you do, the software will save your life.

Pros

1. Descript's key feature is how it transcribes your audio and converts it into an editable word document. I was astounded to discover how simple it was to effectively cut and paste words while simultaneously moving the audio waveforms.
2. It makes use of the Google speech to text engine, which has been demonstrated to be the market leader in numerous studies.
3. Transcripts are attractive and are designated by individuals. With just one click, you can securely send transcripts with video or audio.

Cons

1. It becomes slow with time, and you must pay to utilize it on a regular basis.
2. Although the automatic, entry-level version of Descript has a transcribing accuracy of roughly 95%, there are still grammatical problems.
3. It takes longer than I expected to look over transcriptions and revise them later, so I have to spend more time correcting the transcripts even during my working hours.

Amelia G.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

An Interface That Brings Editing to All!

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

The ability to edit the transcript and audio and visual simultaneously saves HOURS of time, and allows me to pull off large-scale projects on a tight timeline without working over hours. SO easy to integrate into accessibility initiatives with the .srt exports directly from the transcripts. The automatic removal of filler words and inclusion of multiple speaker tags are fantastic features.

Pros

This software utilizes the experience of using a word processor, and harnesses it to help make an editing process that is intuitive, easy, and efficient. This makes it a time saver for me, and I have been able to teach non-design and non-tech colleagues how to use it in order to share the production work across various projects with ease.

Cons

Initially, the transcript and audio functions worked excellently, while the video was still a but rough. Now, though, Descript has spent several months upgrading and updating their platform so that the video editing is much more seamless and more can be done through the platform to produce great videos. The overdub is clever and helpful, but requires quite a bit of honing to get high-quality results.

Chris W.

Best tool I've found for editing podcasts and producing transcripts and .srt files

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

I think if you come from a video or text editing background, Descript will make perfect sense to you within seconds of watching their intro vids. I come from those backgrounds and that was my experience. Yesterday I gave a training session to a colleague who also has editing experience and he immediately took to it and mastered the basics as well, despite not having a hardcore tech background. It really does feel like magic when you start using it and completely fix a long and rambling guest answer in minutes.

As I mentioned in Cons above, I've had problems with it in the past, and at the time I started testing Otter as an alternative in case I needed to switch. But I preferred Descript and I think it has better tools, and I've had no problems since then while using it several days each week for 6 months.

Pros

1. That it does such a good, incredibly fast job of transcribing and assigning speaker roles
2. That it combines separate audio tracks into a sequence so you can make edits to an entire production, but *also* gives you the ability to drill down into individual tracks for really fine-tuned edits.
3. That it combines audio editing and text editing into a single interface, so you can literally edit your audio track as if you were editing a Word or Google doc. I never imagined that this could be an interface or should be an interface, but after seeing it for the first time, the concept clicked into place for me and I immediately took to it.
4. That it auto removes filler words and phrases, BUT even more important, kind of magically smooths over (most of) the cuts so that you can't tell a cut was made. It doesn't always work perfect, but more than half the time it does, and it feels like I'm working with software from a sci-fi future.
5. I want to say I love their Overdub feature, where you can deepfake your own voice (or someone else's on your team if they give you permission, I think--there are some privacy rules in place that I haven't fully explored). It also feels like a sci-fi technology. However, in my day to day usage of this tool, I never use Overdub because I'm almost always editing other people who aren't Descript customers. I'm eager to test it one day with my own voice recordings, but for now I can't really give any feedback on its effectiveness.

Cons

1. At the end of 2020 I had some bad experiences with server-side delays and edits not being saved properly, which reminded me that some of the core functionality for this service is beyond my control because it's not happening locally. On the other hand, I haven't had any problems since (it's been about six months).
2. They update the software very frequently, and often make changes to the interface at the same time. I now just prepare myself to deal with a relocated UI element whenever there's an update, but I don't enjoy the fresh challenge each time it happens. Rapidly making incremental improvements to functionality makes sense to me, but I'm not sure it should be the approach for UI improvements since that can be so destabilizing to a user's workflow.

Adam C.

You can build your whole business around Descrtip

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Huge time-saver. I look forward to creating video clips and editing audio (it makes a tedious experience more fun!). But more than anything it has allowed us to systematize our process in a way that wasn't possible before. We can do things now that would have required extensive domain knowledge before.

Pros

What I love most about Descript is that it makes the process of creating audio and video clips (as well as editing for podcast episodes) super simple. I also love how often the team updates the software and releases new features. I feel like my trust in Descript is well-placed.

Cons

I wish there was more flexibility in the export options. For example, we can do 90% of our audiogram/videogram workflow in Descript, but we still have to move into something like Adobe Premiere for that last 10%. If there were just a few more customization options, we could do 100% in Descript. That said, many of the features I love didn't exist in the beginning, so I'm confident it will eventually get there, and am not worried in the slightest about building our processes and systems around Descript.

• Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

A Game-Changer for media production teams

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

Descript has really changed the way I produce podcasts and other media. It gives me more control and helps complete many tasks at once. I like that I can get a transcript, and edit the text AND audio at the same time. I haven't even used all the features available, but excited to work with more video projects in Descript.

Pros

What I like the most about using Descript, is that it allows me to use 1 tool for many of my needs. Previously I would have to use 3-4 different sites/tools to get the job done. It also allows me to make media (podcasts) more on my own time, instead of relying on freelancers and others.

Cons

It does seem to take a lot for my computer to process using Descript. I haven't run into any issues yet and have an upgraded computer, but could see an issue if I'm traveling or had less capacity.

Evo T.
  • Industry: Media Production

My go-to transcription and text-based assembly service!

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

It's a solid product that, as mentioned, will change the way podcasts are made in the future.

Pros

Descript is changing the way the next generation will make podcasts. And for old dogs like me too! It's a refreshing break from the DAW-focused world we live in today.

Cons

It's still a bit buggy on my M1 Mac, with frequent crashes/restarts. Always recoverable, but it does make me reticent to more integrate the tool into my workflow.

Catherine W.

Great quality and easy to use

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

Pros

I am a complete novice when it comes to recording. I have found Descript easy to use, fantastic that I can see the transcript and manipulate it to get the recording that I need. The drag and drop of video and music is so easy and brilliant. And when I asked a sound technician to check my quality he was impressed with the sound. The room tone is a great addition

Cons

I don't know what I don't know - I don't know what other options there are.
Other than that I have found it great.

Madeline J.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Descript is a life saver!

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Pros

It's a life saver for editing audio. Never again will I edit audio blindly - Descript is SO helpful in storytelling, and scripting narrations, and overall getting a better grasp on what you have in your audio. I love being able to add multiple compositions into a single project - it keeps things wonderfully organized.

Cons

The recent update to removing filler words has been cutting off words from either side of the filler word.

Juliana P.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

I'm OBSESSED.

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

I love it. I am a podcast manager and use Descript within my daily work. I use it every day for getting rid of filler words and use it to help eliminate paragraphs of non-needed discussions.

Pros

I love that you can see the transcript while editing. It really helps with people with a learning disability like myself to see the words on the screen as well as hearing.

Cons

That there is no way to edit two separate tracks in one audio. (i.e. two people speaking with their own audios).

Matthew H.
  • Industry: Online Media

Best in the market

Reviewed on 24/05/2021

Well I recommend this software for transcribing, captioning, content repurposing etc so I am a genuine fan, I am so excited about the future of the tool, everytime I get a new feature update i'm delighted to see what's been added.

Pros

I love the fact that it is sooooo easy to create small snippets and make them ready for social in such a small amount of time.

Cons

some of the features I want are not high on the priority list, I wish that wasn't the case but I guess all users feel the same.

Jeffrey B.

The Go-To Tool

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

9 stars. The perfect editing tool. 9 stars and just one shy with an iOS application becoming available.

Pros

Simply, the easiest, most effective and efficient podcast editing tool on the market.

Cons

No iOS interface or app. It would be a perfect ten star rating experience if so.

Sid H.

Invaluable Resource for Podcast Editing

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

Pros

The Descript editing suite could not be more convenient to learn and utilize for editing your podcast. Perfectly organized and logical in its set up, it cannot get any easier to use this tool. This type of editing software that used to cost a fortune (and take up gigabytes of memory), is now available at an economical price, with all of the capabilities you'd expect - and more.

Cons

Nothing so far. It's been a dream - and fun - to produce podcast episodes using this software package.

Mirko P.

My Review

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

I am generating the audio for lectures.

I haven't been able to automate the entire process yet, because the quality of the generated audio is not that good/natural yet.

However, before judging the algorithm's quality, I still need to train better my voice's data and test more.

Pros

Ease of editing videos.

Overdub capabilities.

Cons

Limitations regarding setting configuring the dimensions of the video screen.

Unable to transcribe two videos in the same project.

New usability for correcting/editing text/overdub.

The button to "stop the screen record" is visible on the screencast. This is REALLY annoying.

Thorstein N.

Amazing set of tools for content creators

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

With Descript I don't have to use a set of expensive tools or hire too many freelancers. It is also a very beautiful software that is easy to use.

Pros

There is so much boring groundwork we have to do as content creators. Descript just makes everything much easier and faster. It is very inexpensive compared to other tools or hiring freelancers. Descript enables me to make more high-quality content, and repurpose existing content into other formats.

Cons

I use the transcribing feature a lot, and it can be a bit inaccurate.

Princella S.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Descript has been a lifesaver to my business!

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Overall I love it and definitely want to learn how to use the other features but I am extremely happy with the use of the features that I do know how to use!

Pros

I love that although there are many features I haven’t used yet that the basics of how the software works is extremely easy to jump right in and implement.

Cons

Although I appreciate the updates it has been challenging to keep up. And the explanations of how and when to use certain features could be clearer.

Per A.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Remove your filler words with one click

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Pros

Remove your filler words with one click One of the most amazing things is that you can remove the filler words with one click. It’s also super easy to use.

Cons

I actually don’t have anything negative to say.

Jordan W.
  • Industry: Sports

Great tool for transcription

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

I really enjoyed the tool. Came for the transcription capability but now expanded some of our marketing due to the additional features.

Pros

Transcription tool is bonkers cool! What would take me 5 hours is done in 30 minutes.

Cons

Small learning curve. But easy afterwards.

• Industry: Media Production

Not yet stable enough for professional use

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Pros

This is could be a game changing piece of software. it combines transcription and audio editing into one. The option to collaborate in the cloud like a google doc opens up many possibilities. But there is one big downside....

Cons

It is not yet reliable enough. There have been two occasions in last few months where Descript just stopped working. I lost days' worth of work on broadcast critical projects.

The first time an entire project wouldn't open and just hung. That meant all of the work for an entire podcast episode was inaccessible. I contacted tech support and tweeted them. I heard nothing back. After a friday and weekend of panic and frustration, the project did open.

Perhaps stupidly, i carried on using Descript. A month or so later a Composition (their name for a document within a project) I was working on just stopped working. The error message just said press reload. But that did nothing. Because it is cloud based I had nothing on my hard drive to try and salvage. it just stopped working. i lost at least 8 hours of work. i contacted tech support and their discord server. Still haven't had a response. I had to do the work all over again.

If you work in professional audio, sadly my advice is to stay away from Descript till it gets more reliable.

Emily M.
  • Industry: Media Production

Made scaling my podcast agency so easy!

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

We've been able to scale from one podcast client to 20+ in less than a year, and have onboarded 2 editors. It's making it possible for my business to scale rapidly, and revenue to skyrocket!

Pros

I love that I'm able to collaborate with my editing team so that we can implement quick changes from clients no matter who is available. It was super easy to bring in new team members and train them on the workflow as well. I also love how the transcripts make it so much faster than other apps to edit - the combo of seeing words + waveforms (and the search/delete option) cut editing time in half.

Cons

Clicking and dragging still needs some work, not sure yet about the new toolbar. I also really would like to be able to use VSTs to denoise easier, right now the workflow starts in Audition or Pro Tools for any processing (our clients honestly don't understand that they need to record in quiet spaces) and then we bring it into Descript to do the edit.

Jeff A.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Five Stars Across the Board

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

It's been wonderful. Since I discovered this at Podcast Movement in 2019 it's revolutionized production on the show. I've also used it to in my day job too to help my company do training videos. It's a software I use everyday.

Pros

Descript is so easy to use. It's cut down the editing time for our podcast interviews and the overall show while increasing our quality. With the ongoing new features too, like Overdub and the ability to generate Audiograms, the service continues to get better. The transcripts have also allowed us to increase the accessibility for our podcast and the generated videos while helping to keep costs down (and as the AI continues to improve, our time to correct transcripts as also gone down)

Cons

The feature that needs attention is how the software deals with silence. Long silences are treated as "speakers" with the AI is deciding who it detects speaking. That causes issues with transcript correction. In addition, things that are actual silence can be removed, such as laughter or crosstalking or words the AI might not know. That adds extra editing time so those things are part of the final product. I'm hoping this aspect gets updated soon.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

project editor for visual learners

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

Overall it's an innovative product and a lot more cost-effective than others on the market. It may not be perfect but it has helped me a lot in my projects. A clever virtual multi-tool for creators.

Pros

I like that I can edit a video based on the visual transcription, The AI and that while I'm recording I get a transcription simultaneously.

The features I desire most are a dark mode feature, a chroma key feature so I can add light overlay and animation. I would also like a pause feature added to screen recording and voice recording because I use this to help me think in between recording without stopping the session. And please fix bugs such a lagging.

And the integrations I would recommend are Audacity, Davinci Resolve, and Anchor FM because that is what I use.

Cons

Sometimes there are glitches if I am working in multiple windows and Ill get error codes. Sometimes it's hard to place tracks on the timeline, You click where you want it to go and it goes somewhere else in the project. I want some filler words to stay included and it's hard for me to figure out how to keep them. When I record audio and mess up, the overdub function doesn't pop up when I right-click. I wish the zoom and pan were smoother looking.

Ryan N.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

I use Descript Daily and its irreplaceable

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

Pros

I love how it makes editing podcasts easy with my clients and collaborators. Editing the text to edit the sound is a really handy feature. Filler word removal has been great

Its great for recording scripted ads too as I can quickly punch in/out to get the right cadence and ultimately the best take

Cons

There are some glitches when it comes to collaboration i.e. not being able to make comments (and notifying your collaborator) until the audio is transcribed, which as a collaborator on someone else's drive I cannot do

Room tone generation seems to be selected as default

When using filler word removal, the cuts can sound quite harsh and require spaces before and after to sound natural

Graham W.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Inspired

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

It's fantastic. I'm so grateful to the team who built this and continues to improve the software. They are all adding tremendous value to my life. Thank you.

Pros

This makes editing audio podcasts a real joy. I love it.

Cons

No dark mode.

When I'm editing a specific section and I hit play the timeline will move with the playhead and I'll have to zoom out and return to the spot I'm editing to further fine tune.

Shortcuts are being added quickly and I am feeling lost. Would love a 1 on 1 coaching session on how to get the most out of the software. I would pay for it if I had to.