Descript

Write a Review!
Transcription management and video & audio editing software

4.6/5
4.6/5
4.5/5
4.4/5

Suzi
Suzi
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Descript is an excellent tool that is quite easy to use.

Reviewed on 17/03/2023

The audio editing and transcribing program Descript is fantastic. In order to clean up an audio recording, it helps to be able to modify a transcript and search for filler words and recurring phrases.

Pros

I appreciate that it is a software-based service that I can have on my laptop and work on whenever I feel the urge to do so. When attempting to detect speakers, its auto transcript performs quite quickly and accurately.

Cons

Unfortunately, the transcript isn't flawless. In order to get an exact translation, human editing is necessary. It's also inferior to programs like Audacity and Adobe Audition for fine-tuning audio.

Aemyn
  • Industry: Online Media

The future of podcasting is still just over the horizon

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Overall, using Descript is a super positive experience.

We're able to preview episode scripts...

Overall, using Descript is a super positive experience.

We're able to preview episode scripts with clients which makes the approval process a better experience for them. Our scriptwriters are able to work directly with the audio and transcript at the same time and when they're done, we can export the raw project for cleanup and sound design in an external DAW which is awesome forethought from Descript. With other projects, editing and sound design and exporting can be done entirely in Descript and I'm really happy with the results.

Despite its limitations and bugs, I still struggle not to recommend Descript to anyone making a podcast.
Whatever you're doing, there is a good chance you will find a place for it in your process, just maybe not as much or as reliably as you would like.

Pros

Descript is a strong collection of audio tools that just weren't available when I started making podcasts. The ability to organise, collaborate and publish an audio project in the cloud with a friendly interface is great and used to be a huge pain to figure out. Editing audio with the transcript and the waveform at the same time allows you to skip a bunch of technicalities and focus on your creativity. Video capabilities expand the possibilities, and the overall suite of tools make me rethink entirely what podcast editing can or should be in a good way.

Cons

Stability is the biggest problem I have with this. After working on about a lot of different projects with different collaborators, I'm still coming up against things that make it freeze, make it crash, or break a project (usually salvageable at least), and end up needing to work around issues to keep things rolling.

Also, while Descript has a lot of features, in comparison to any long-standing audio software it leaves so much to be desired. There are many missing tools that would add a lot of room for creativity and technical cleanup. Things like audio meters, noise gate, spectrum analysis, filters to automate creatively, ducking, but also the more unexpected effects like reverb, stereo delay, pitch shifting, layered FX, these are all things podcasters of any kind might want to use for effect at some point and many folks I know can't, or don't want to tell their stories without them.

This is especially true for video which misses on some basic transformations like rotation for text and images.

Soundtrap

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Soundtrap as an editing-with-transcript tool was way too limited when I looked into it. Although it would fill a lot of gaps missing among the Descript audio tools, it wasn't anywhere close to a worthy comparison.
Kelli
Kelli
  • Industry: Entertainment

Best audio trancription for the money

Reviewed on 10/09/2023

Pros

We use descript for two things: audio transcription (sometimes many hours a month) and for text based video and audio editing for staff who are less tech savvy. It works beautifully for both things.

Cons

I get so frustrated with the CONSTANT moving around of features and the sunsetting of classic might even make us switch projects. The editing aspect especially, we use it because it makes sense for folks who are more word (rather than visually) focused and for less tech savvy employees who just need to take out a word here or there or trim a video. The constant messing around with the environment confuses folks!

Nathan

Potential game changer for podcast editing

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

The concept is amazing and could save hours on a podcast edit…
but, it just doesn't work correctly...

The concept is amazing and could save hours on a podcast edit…
but, it just doesn't work correctly or as you would expect a lot of the time. Once the automated transcription improves and the workflow stabilizes, this could potentially replace the various tools I use to edit audio and video.

Pros

The ability to edit an interview or podcast just by editing the text is incredible.
The workflow is fairly straight forward – import audio file, choose how to transcribe, wait…, edit the transcript & audio in various ways, export or publish as needed.

Cons

The automated transcription is good, but not great. There are always little errors that seem obvious to a human – capitalize the first letter in a sentence, don't capitalize a word in the middle of a sentence, abbreviate doctor as Dr. when a name follows, etc. – and they seem to always show up, even when they've been corrected previously, so it's unclear whether the 'machine' is actually 'learning'.
The app appears to not be built as a native app for macOS which means it lacks certain core features. The most annoying to me is that the window always opens in the default size (i.e. small) and never remembers the sizing or positioning that I choose every time I open it.
The developers are rapidly adding features, but almost too quickly. Once I get used to a feature or function, it doesn't take long for the menu item to be changed or moved (Share, Export, Publish all do similar–though different–things, and have each had their turn as a unique menu item or being grouped together in various ways). I got very efficient at correcting the transcription (which, unfortunately, must be done frequently) until they changed the entire process of editing the transcript.

Otter and Rev

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Descript has the potential to do it all – transcribe, edit, publish – for one subscription.
Amelia
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

An Interface That Brings Editing to All!

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

The ability to edit the transcript and audio and visual simultaneously saves HOURS of time, and allows me to pull off large-scale projects on a tight timeline without working over hours. SO easy to integrate into accessibility initiatives with the .srt exports directly from the transcripts. The automatic removal of filler words and inclusion of multiple speaker tags are fantastic features.

Pros

This software utilizes the experience of using a word processor, and harnesses it to help make an editing process that is intuitive, easy, and efficient. This makes it a time saver for me, and I have been able to teach non-design and non-tech colleagues how to use it in order to share the production work across various projects with ease.

Cons

Initially, the transcript and audio functions worked excellently, while the video was still a but rough. Now, though, Descript has spent several months upgrading and updating their platform so that the video editing is much more seamless and more can be done through the platform to produce great videos. The overdub is clever and helpful, but requires quite a bit of honing to get high-quality results.

Bryan
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Makes editing a podcast so much easier!

Reviewed on 23/06/2021

It's been great. We started a podcast with no background in audio production and were doing fine with Audacity, but Descript just changed what we felt we could do, and how much time it takes to do it. I've recommended it to many people already and I expect I'll recommend it to many more.

Pros

It's very easy to use as a novice. There are lots of functionality buried within that I know I'm not utilizing, but I don't need it to get my job done. I love the ability to edit the audio by editing text and adding music onto my podcast voice files is straightforward. This is by far the easiest editing tool I've tried.

Cons

There are lots of features that I know exist but that I don't see or that I don't know how or when I should use them. This is on me to learn, but I do wish tools would provide access to mini-tutorials from within the main workspace so that when you are working you could better identify whether that functionality you've never used might help to solve your problem.

Chelsey
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Makes editing my podcast a breeze!

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

Overall experience has been a breeze. So grateful for Descript. Makes editing audio simple and fast.

Pros

I love that I can basically edit my podcast episodes by working with what is essentially a word doc. The auto transcriptions are super helpful for pulling quote, clips, and soundbites - especially if I ever go back through and just want to skim the content (without having to listen for a specific section of the episode.

Cons

I don't have many cons to share. If I were using the transcripts as part of my finished product I might like them to be a bit more accurate, but it looks like there are frequent updates to make them more and more spot on (with easy enough features to customize and dial in the exact transcript where needed).

Audacity

Reasons for Switching to Descript

The transcript feature won me over immediately. Plus the overdub functionality, which I haven't needed to use yet but am very fascinated by.
Tom

Tom’s review

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

Pros

It takes a completely unique approach to media editing, with the content and concept as focus instead of just abstract files.

Cons

When I get used to a function it changes quickly with updates affecting work flow. However sometimes the changes are easier.

Denys
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Making Podcasts and YouTube Video

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

Descript was the tool that allowed me to go from an audio only podcast to video podcast.

Pros

Ease of editing by working with the transcript and not the video & audio only.

Cons

The continual updates. Seriously this has got to stop. Every single week a button has moved or been added or changed shape. Please stop. I would pay triple to stop the changes.

iMovie

Reasons for Switching to Descript

The built in transcription and ease of editing.
Jes
Jes
  • Industry: Entertainment

Missing link software - hope it sticks to its strengths!

Reviewed on 22/06/2021

I love descript (although less than I did since the video editing features were added)
Descript...

Descript solves several problems for me. It helps both me and my clients go through interviews more quickly and accurately - and helps with dialogue choices early on in an edit. The compilations I make in Descript I can recreate easily and quickly in Premiere. And then at the end of my process I can output with subtitles - accurately and easily. If I am making animations then I can get accurately time-stamped voice recordings and generate audiograms which make it easy to time the animations precisely.

Pros

The product is pretty easy to use straight off the bat but its when you get the transcripts back that things really get interesting. The way the text and audio/video files are linked is totally special. You can change one and the other follows. You can copy and paste text and the media comes along too. Once you've compiled your rough you can export

Cons

Software feels a bit slower and bloated now due to the addition of the editing features - and a bit more sensitive to handle. I have to be more accurate when I click!

Heather
  • Industry: Accounting

Do You Edit? This Software Will Change Your Life!

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

I LOVE this product. I tell everyone I know with a podcast to use this software. It seriously has changed my life. I'm able to edit much quicker and can cut and paste easily by viewing the text.

Pros

Taking out filler words takes only a few seconds - this is an amazing feature that can save HOURS of time. Not only does it work for audio, but the video is nearly seamless when using this feature.

Cons

Due to it being on the cloud, the video is slow to respond when editing.

Adobe Audition

Reasons for Choosing Descript

The text features

Reasons for Switching to Descript

I still use these other products for recording and final editing where I compile the podcast, but for editing audio this is my prefered platform.
Juma

One of most powerful tools for video creation

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

Captioning for one. Transcripts for content repurposeing. Fast video output.

Captioning for one. Transcripts for content repurposeing. Fast video output.

Pros

I got this tool for captioning initially, now I use it for all my videos. It's easy to use and the support was good. I also found creative ways to use the timeline to animate images. The control over audio gain, compression etc.

Cons

No COPY and PASTE function for video clips.
How clips are pinned is still a bit of a mystery to me.
Inability to save editing templates.
No green screen support.
Why do clips shorten from the back?

andrea

mind blowing functionality

Reviewed on 28/01/2021

Hands down the easiest video and text editor out there. features are mindblowing and makes editing fast and convenient. I recommend this for any video and podcasting editors.

Pros

love that the transcripts are very accurate
the product has so many features and i am learning new features everyday
love that i can eliminate 4-5 pieces of software
love that i can create audio grams
very easy for editing text and video

Cons

there are so many features, it does have a long learning curve with some of its functions
the demo videos are a little confusing and I had to watch them a few times to figure out how exactly to do certain things.

Daniel
  • Industry: Media Production

Transformative product with lots of bugs to work through

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

We save tons of time with Descript. It also helps us collaborate as producers (it's so easy to jump into a project and help with a specific subtask). It also helps us collaborate with external stakeholders, like clients or consultants. They can see the progress, provide feedback in a simple way and even write into it if we give them that access.

Pros

Editing text instead of audio has revolutionized my company's workflow. We make podcasts and it has saved us tons of time to use Descript for highly produced shows. It doesn't really help with weekly shows that require minimal editing and fast turnarounds. But for months-long narrative projects, it is so incredibly easy to edit text linked to audio and then script around that. We then export to Audition or Protools to mix and score. But having this step along the way saves many hours of time and improved collaboration with internal and external people.

Cons

It's really buggy! Things stop working frequently. Then Descript fixes it. Then there's another bug. I have faith that they'll get to a point where I'm not running into bugs every week or every few days, but it is frustrating for now.

Alice
Alice
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Descript is the only video editing software you will ever need.

Reviewed on 15/04/2022

Pros

I'm not a video editor by any means. In fact, I've been using all sorts of different software over the past few years and I just didn't find anything that was really easy to use -- until Descript.

As somebody who is a heavy content creator, I needed to start creating video content and it was really hard because I had to rely on others to edit the videos for me. Now with Descript I can do it myself which is super powerful and saves a lot of time. My favorite features are "shorten word gaps" and "remove filler words". Everybody thinks I'm a magician when I show the my videos post-production.

Descript has changed the entire scope of my work and how I do my job. It's much easier than any other software tool that I've used. I love how easy it is to use, the interface is very intuitive, it's very quick and simple. My friends and teams love Descript too.

Don't be scared! All you need to do is upload your original video or record a video directly in the software and then edit it out later or add text or change the voice if you want. It's really great.

I also love the collaboration aspect of Descript.

Cons

It takes a LONG time to download high-quality videos.

Richard

Fantastic Must Have Software!

Reviewed on 23/06/2021

Overall the experience is extremely positive, so much so I now use this software daily. The business benefits to me are astounding, allowing me to transcribe, overdub and use the many features on descript to make my life easier, make me more productive and increase my efficiency.

Pros

Transcription, text search, the ability to use the software effortlessly means this is a crucial piece of software to me both personally and professionally. I love the feature of after transcription, clicking on a word and playing the video from there, such a simple feature but I am sure was very hard to implement from a programming perspective.

Cons

I think it would be great to see a thumbnail overview of projects currently being worked on, having that option as well as list view would be very helpful to me. Sometimes the software can be buggy in terms of asking something to be transcribed and it says this cannot be completed at this time. The other thing I like least is after you've imported multiple files and transcribed them, the software can re-order them, then the videos and transcription are out of sequence, there is no easy way to re-order them and get them to where you want them to be.

Monico
  • Industry: Photography

Video interviews made easy

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

I used descript to build scripts from video interviews on a few jobs so far. I love removing filler words, “um’s” and “a”s.

Building scripts from transcription services is great, but you still have to mark with a time code and match clips to get the work done.

I love theses of exporting the xml and seeing my work in Final Cuts after editing in descript. Saves me hours.

Pros

The difference Descript has over other transcription services is that you can
1. Create variations by making different projects
2. Export XML to Final Cut or Premier for an edited version that speeds up workflow for interviews and the spoken word.

Learning the software is pretty straight forward and they have great tutorials when you run into a snag.

Descript has been a game changer for my corporate and personal profile video workflow. I share the script with my client and ask them to highlight stuff they want me to try and keep in their spoken word. When I’m done putting a rough together, I send them a link from the site. Super easy and looks really professional.

Cons

I can’t really say there are any con’s at the moment. This software tops the other transcription services that I was using and wouldn’t go back because of the features and cost of descript.

Matthew

A Work Of Genius In Progress

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Honestly, I don't know how I would do what I do without it. My one regret is I didn't discover it sooner. Not only is it a great product, but it's constantly getting better. It's exciting to be a part of!

Pros

It does so many things that I need it to do. It handles the end-to-end process of recording, editing, polishing and presenting audio and visual self-created media, and does it with class.
The 'hook' that originally set me on to the software was the functionality of being able to edit text and have the audio automatically edited. Previously I was using standard audio editing software, and because I do a lot of editing (mid sentence edits, changing the location of words) I would probably have had a breakdown if I hadn't found Descript.

Cons

I think it's not quite right to describe these as 'cons' as the software is continually being updated, and users finding areas for improvement is part of the process.
As you use the software more, you discover things that you would like to have differently. For example, at the moment, you can't pause the Screen Recorder - not a massive issue because you can delete gaps automatically - but still something that should be fairly easy to add.
These issues don't bother me, because I know I can send an email and there is a high likelihood that the issue will be fixed.

Winnie
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Descript is a Podcaster's Dream

Reviewed on 23/06/2021

I use Descript every week to edit and produce my podcast. I recently hired an editor and he uses it too. It has been a great tool. I was able to figure out how to use it and produce my podcast quickly. And it's fun to use!

Pros

I love that I don't have to be a sound expert to edit my podcast. It's like editing a document so it makes it really intuitive and easy to edit, add music and produce a podcast I'm proud of.

Cons

There are quite a few features so sometimes I get the sense that I'm missing out on ways I could maximize this product and tool. There are probably some videos available but the more the better. Also maybe some guidance on how to build up my skills on Descript - like where to start - would be helpful.

All-In-One Content Editing Solutions That is Affordable

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

I have saved countless hours using the transcription and text-to-voice features. This is the first software that I find to have a natural sounding AI with affordable price tag. I also could make the AI learn my voice and my inflections, and become one of the AI speaker, so I don't have to record my voice ever again

Pros

Text-to-speech feature. The feature could learn my voice and turn it into an AI voice. Now, I don't have to record my own voice for the audio of my next video project

Cons

In the span that I have been using the software, there has been major updates and changes made. More and more features have been added like the video editing for example, and some changes to the UI. I am mainly using it for audio purposes only, so the new features are not relevant to me. But I still have to be updated with the UI changes as it affects my work flow. I am still in the learning curve to master the software

Andrew
  • Industry: Research

My favorite software - Works great and it's fun to use

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

They have a product called overdub which is really fun to use. I highly recommend it.

Pros

This really helps me get my job done,. It's fun to use, too. Great video editing tool and to make content from interviews.

Cons

I'd say my only criticism is the support is slow. But you will be able to figure it all out for yourself. And there YT videos are the perfect way to learn

Melissa
Melissa

As easy as video editing gets, if you've never edited videos before, this is it

Reviewed on 12/02/2021

Unparalleled to anything I've ever use and in awe of how well it works every time I use it. Can't wait to see how this solution evolves.

Pros

There is absolutely nothing in this world that is easier to use than Descript. It has saved me HOURS of work compared to Camtasia (which is really complicated and hard to learn). You can cut parts out of the video by deleting words from a transcript that Descript automatically generates, and remove filler words (um, ah) with a single click. The final video is better than when I use Camtasia to cut things down to the millisecond. It's a genius piece of software and everyone should try it.

Cons

There are a lot of features I know I'm not utilizing enough.

Jacob

My favorite video/audio editor

Reviewed on 23/06/2021

Pros

I use this software everyday and with every update it becomes more powerful. My favorite feature has to be how easy editing is.

Cons

The only con I have is that aligning tracks in the multitrack view can be difficult. I wish there was a snapping feature to line up video and audio clips easier.

Matthew
  • Industry: Online Media

Best in the market

Reviewed on 24/05/2021

Well I recommend this software for transcribing, captioning, content repurposing etc so I am a genuine fan, I am so excited about the future of the tool, everytime I get a new feature update i'm delighted to see what's been added.

Pros

I love the fact that it is sooooo easy to create small snippets and make them ready for social in such a small amount of time.

Cons

some of the features I want are not high on the priority list, I wish that wasn't the case but I guess all users feel the same.

Stu
Stu
  • Industry: Media Production

Game changer!

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

The way I produce podcasts for me and my clients has been revolutionised with Descript. I now wouldn't work on one without it!

Pros

Having visual access to an audio edit is a game changer! Gone are the days of time-coded confusing and long winded client feedback, Descript allows me and my edit team access to quickly create and amend transcribed podcasts.

Cons

I would like to see improved audio mixing capabilities, via Waves and Izotope plug in integrations.