Essential Studio

UI development suite for .NET, Xamarin, Javascript, Angular

4.4 /5 (169 reviews) Write a Review!
4.4
4.6
4.5
4.2
4.8
Ray W.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Complete, robust, fully functional web UI

Reviewed on 18/04/2020

Overall it's a great product. It does everything Telerik Kendo does but is cheaper and therefore a better value.

Pros

The Syncfusion Grid component is as good or better than any other on the market. It has every feature you could want: paging, sorting, filtering, sizing and reordering columns, exporting to PDF, CSV, or Excel. And they have just about every other rich web component you think of: Calendar, sortable list, embedded rich text/HTML editor, charts, maps, you name it. And best of all, their free community license includes ASP.Net MVC so you can develop rich MVC web UI applications. And also includes Xam

Cons

Although they have extensive documentation, they so many components that do so many things, that not every feature has specific programming examples, so you sometimes have to figure things out through trail and error. And although the MVC components all have tons of methods and parameters you sometimes have to write JavaScript to make it work the way you want. So you need to be a strong programmer.

Jose l. G.
Company size: Self Employed

Just the best developer tools in the market

Reviewed on 7/05/2020

Essential Studio is my preferred tool for user interface development. No other tool is comparable in usability and features.

Pros

Support for multiples platforms, documentation and support.

Cons

I've no cons in the product. It's a complete solution for UI development in several platforms like net core, angular, flutter, etc.

Craig B.
Industry: Computer Software

One of the first companies to give entrepreneurial Software Developers a break.

Reviewed on 11/08/2020

A great thing about the Syncfusion components is that they work in Xamarin. I can create mobile apps without changes. Xamarin did not generate a Windows app that I liked, so I build an app using Winforms that looks like the mobile apps. Syncfusion for Winforms allowed me to do this and share code with the mobile apps.

Pros

Six years ago, I started developing a large scale enterprise product. It required a lot of full stack development. It runs on Windows, Android and IOS. The infrastructures is all Docker containers. I am not a UI guy and didn’t have the time to build the UI components needed. Syncfusion components work well. Their generous licensing policies made using the tools possible.

Most impressive, is that I have received the same quality support as one of their paying customers. My system has architecture that I developed to solve a problem specific to my target industry. I did hit a bug that had not been seen before. Syncfusion’s support staff verified that the bug was in their code and issued a patch without argument. I can’t tell you how many times a company has told me “the software is not supposed to do that, so it’s not a bug”.

Cons

There are components that I found difficult to understand even after reading the doc. But it was more the task at hand then a problem with a component. For example: To use the Word functions to manipulate a Word file, you must understand how Word structures its documents. But a note to support always results in a sample. So, really there is nothing negative to say.

Timothy M.

Syncfusion for the StartUp

Reviewed on 23/03/2020

In addition to supporting Xamarin Forms, we are following a strict MVVM methodology and leveraging C# as much as possible across as many platforms as possible. Currently, this includes the most popular standard platforms that Xamarin Forms supports: iOS, Android, UWP. We will also be supporting Blazor (C# in browser web assembly) and one of the Syncfusion features we hope to leverage is their Blazor support. We are waiting for .NET 5 GA to leap into that part of the project, but are hopeful our good experience with Syncfusion componentson Xamarin Forms supported platforms will be matched in the Browser based client using Syncfusion Blazor components.

Pros

Our project is to build a commercial-grade, security-compliant, serverless mobile app platform using only tools that are budget-friendly for startups. Our tool-chain selection includes AWS services (API Gateway, Cognito, Lambda, DynamoDB, ...), Microsoft .NET Core/Standard, Visual Studio and Xamarin. All these tools are essentially free until your app starts scaling. Syncfusion's community edition was chosen because it provides commercial-grade features and doesn't burden the entrepreneur with out-of-pocket expenses until their app is generating revenue. Finally, our experience with Syncfusion's support has been first rate.

Cons

Syncfusion targets many different UI presentation layers. In our case, we use Xamarin Forms which is relatively new for Syncfusion. The controls are generally solid but do require more "code-behind" work than is generally recommended in the Xamarin community. There are shops that totally refuse to allow "any" code-behind and if you are one of those you may have some issues using all of the Syncfusion controls. In our case, the limited code-behind required is not considered a barrier. In addition, the Syncfusion documentation is obviously not written by a native English speaker and as such can be amusing at times and occasionally annoying .

Martin A.
Industry: Computer Software

Great tools with great feature and make us save time.

Reviewed on 22/07/2020

Me and My team we appreciate this tool because it really help to bring our new software to another level. With all the documentations and the demos this help me and my team to go quickly thru the learning curves.

Pros

They provide a lot of demo and they have a great support.

Cons

Sometime some feature are taking long before being deploy with there version.

Bernard J.
Industry: Accounting

Syncfusion is the best

Reviewed on 18/05/2020

Pros

Easy to use, community license, great technical support.

Cons

There is no such thing as "like least".

Zoran B.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Syncfusion Blazor

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 15/04/2020

Transition my Visual Basic 60 LIS software to Web application.

Pros

I have invested Grid control, in WebAssembly configuration, using EF core. It works fine.
Support is very prompt and good.

Cons

In some cases, events handler, Data Manager of UI controls are black boxes without more details.

Satheesh K.

Professional product

Reviewed on 16/04/2020

Customer support was fabulous. I got response on time

Pros

Not like other software, I got it fully functional with licence softer with full featured and professional look components. Which helps me to develop a professional and rich ui software

Cons

Nothing like that. Blazor is still not released from Microsoft. So features might be enhanced. However I am getting full support when I stuck with issue.

Amos S.
Industry: Financial Services

review

Reviewed on 25/04/2020

Very intriguing but sometimes a bit frustrating because of the small details you miss when implementing things.

Pros

Diversified features of the grid - has almost everything I needed from a grid.

Cons

Learning curve is steep as there are a lot of small tweaks one should know in order to achieve something.

Feifan W.
Industry: Information Services

Overall it is good

Reviewed on 17/03/2020

Pros

It’s components provide many built in features, which makes the development easier. The support team is another plus. They are just great.

Cons

Community forum is a little hard to use.

Daniel H.
Industry: Mining & Metals
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Essential Studio for WPF

Reviewed on 25/07/2020

Overall experience is fantastic.

Installation is straight forward, updates are published at a timely manner.

Pros

I like the completeness and in depth features of all the controls that I use, especially the data grid control which I use extensively. The sample application and online documentation is clear and succinct.

I find that breaking down the examples by feature is great when compared to other control vendors I have seen, that simply provide a high level example and nothing to demonstrate each feature separately.

On the few occasions that I have requested support, I have always received an answer in a timely manner.

What makes the WPF suite good value is not just the number of feature rich controls, but the complete package including the documentation help and support that is available.

Cons

There are only two minor issues that I have with the suite of tools.

1. I get regular feedback from users that the date picker control is clunky to use. I can echo the feedback. Entering a date does not feel smooth, especially when entering the year. Hard to describe, but feel like it cycles back around to the year zero.

2. I would like it if I could customize the calendar control more. Would be great if I could easily template out the control for each date so I could use it to display what ever info I wanted in each date cell. Maybe there is a way to do this, but either way I have not been successful in being able to template out the calendar control for the requirements at the time.

Vincent W.
Industry: Education Management
Company size: Self Employed

Expensive and poor support but best available solution

Reviewed on 23/07/2020

I had to rely on their support team for almost everything when it came to integrating the scheduling component into my software because the documentation was really poor. There is a lot of documentation but the problem with it is that it just doesn't explain how to use anything. You'd find a reference to the problem you're having, and the documentation tells you what this thing is supposed to do but doesn't tell you how to implement it. At times it just seemed like it was written from the perspective of somebody who already knew how to use everything and that's obviously not very useful.

The good thing is the support team is always willing to help (though I always had to wait until the next day for an answer) but the bad thing is that sometimes they didn't read my question carefully and ended up giving answers to questions I wasn't even asking. It was at times frustrating to deal with support (and I think the language barrier might've been the issue), but credit to them they were always polite and willing to help. I just wish I didn't need to call on them for everything.

They also have a support chat and a few times I had a good guy who was able to be helpful, but other times the person answering the chat was almost useless, redirecting me to tier 2 support for even simple things. One guy even told me "Chat support is only a triage. We don't actually help you."

Pros

I got Syncfusion primarily for the scheduler component and having looked at other options, this was the best front end solution I could find for my software. It's not perfect, but it's very good in terms of functionality and user interface. I think my clients will enjoy using this scheduler.

Cons

It's a bit awkward to implement and the documentation is very poor. As for the scheduler, it comes with built in popup windows for creating and modifying events, but trying to get their styling to match my own was a nightmare because they did not use the same classes for every window, and not even the same classes for every button. It was surprising how inconsistent they were with their styling and that made it impossible to create consistent spacing and styling to match the rest of my system, so I ended up blocking all the popups and creating my own but this also was not easy or obvious. I had to contact support several times just to figure out how to use my own popups.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Andrew C.

Xamarin UI controls

Reviewed on 17/04/2020

I’ve used the Syncfusion controls when I worked at other companies so I knew what I was getting into. I felt very confident in the controls, ease of integration and quality of the technical support team. By using these controls I’ve been able to get my apps out the door much faster than before.

Pros

Integration is a breeze. The software is well designed and is rock solid. One of the best additions to the software are two apps you can download, Syncfusion Controls Explorer and Essential UI kit. The Controls explorer does a great job of showcasing various controls and illustrating different ways the control can be used. The other app, Essential UI Kit provides me with both a jumpstart for getting certain screens up and running but also a real work example of how the controls can be used. As an independent developer, I don’t have the luxury of hiring a full-time designer nor the flexibility of time to see how the control works. These controls allow me the ability to get my app up and running faster than before.

Cons

The grid control still needs work. It’s great for presenting data, but if you’re looking for more flexibility when entering values directly within the grid, you’ll be disappointed. The richness of options available to you just isn’t there.

Knowledgebase on the website needs work. You can drill down to a specific control, say, Xamarin.Forms -> SfDataGrid however if I search for "Initialize" it searches the entire product line. Really frustrating and makes the feature rather useless.

Superb Support! Practical stuff microsoft left out Good C# Library

Reviewed on 3/03/2020

Good Sf DataGrid, great column types that do most of the validation I need without a lot of coding
And really,really,really good support. They just answer my questions in a day with a code snippet that they have written.
The XLSIO lib's which read/write pdf, microsoft office files are also excellent. Minor issue with them is that they hold on to File's a bit too long as mentioned in the con's easy workaround give XLSIO calls C# FileStreams whenever possible...the XLSIO save and saveas functions work fine...

Pros

Good Grid
Great PDF read/write , Excel read/write much better, faster and more reliable than microsoft stuff
Support is just outstanding; Send in a request and they both answer the questions and frequently write the code snippet for you...wow!
Excellent Code Samples, Be sure and use the Code demo/sample browser for Windows..good stuff

Cons

If it takes more then 10 or 15 minutes to understand where to find a particular feature or functionality just send the question to Support. Documentation is mediocre and not nearly as good as Microsoft. Some things that should be exposed in properties and instead implemented via event handlers.

Still much less work using Syncfusion tools then coding in Microsoft GUI widgets

Grid by default does not look like MIcrosoft Access for insert/delete records but that may just be my particular needs

4 grid products of which 2 are kept to update and recommended. I used SfDataGrid

Sometimes you have to reach out to support or documenation to get syntax for a "foreach" loop as opposed to Microsoft Tools where it's easy to do it.

For my usages and applications, SfDataGrid is not feasible to use Visual Code Generator on unbound columns

Syncfusion XLSIO tools to read/write Microsoft Office files and PDF's likes to hold onto File Locks a little too long... So easy fix is to always pass in C# FileStream type or MemoryStream done via Using (FileStream)

I recommend using Tools->Nuget Package Manager->Package Manger Console because searching for Syncfusion packages to install via browse function in Visual Studio 2019 returns too many matches and takes too long to do.

That's both a pro and con; Pro that they use Nuget to install part's of the library of tools...and Con which is not really their fault that browse search for nuget is not very good at searching (Microsoft design issue?)

Gary P.
Company size: Self Employed

Great software especially for small outfits

Reviewed on 18/05/2020

Overall, I like the product but it can be frustrating at times when I come across a new "oddball" requirement that I need to ask of the product and trying to figure out the best way to make it do what I want.

Pros

It's free for small outfits - seriously though, the community edition is really useful for myself who is a small sole trader and allows me to create powerful and capable web sites easily.
There is a lot of powerful functionality "out of the box", I especially like the functionality built into the Grid components and dropdown / combo boxes are handled the way I expect them to be with little coding required for normal situations.
Their community support is very good, I have used them about 3 or 4 times and each time they have responded within a day or two with both a written solution and normally a working example that I can download and examine

Cons

One of the big issues I have is, for me, the lack of clear documentation. This is especially true when you go "off the beaten track" to try something different and it can be a headache to determine the best way to go about achieving the result (e.g. on a grid, what events fire when with what arguments). However, the support people have been good at coming up with solutions when I draw a blank.
As the product covers different environments (asp.net core, JS, MVC, Angular etc) and there are different versions (ej1, ej2 etc) it can be a bit difficult navigating through previously answered questions and applying them to my environment (in the main I use asp.net core).

David A.
Industry: Industrial Automation

SyncFusion Blazor Components Review

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

I really like the product suite. I find that I can do almost everything I need to do using their out-of-box experience.

Pros

I like having the large number of components in the bundle as it reduces the number of third party components I need to complete my projects. I also like how rapidly SyncFusion rolls out updates to their products and the quality and speed of response of their technical support.

Cons

I am not sure if this is SyncFusion Blazor specific or something inherent with Blazor itself, but the lack of Support for GUID in their dropdown list and other things like their event callbacks require that I change my GUIDs to string types in my models and then have to map them back to GUIDs for CRUD to the backend. Also, I really wish they had a good Step / Wizard component. I currently have to use Radzen's Step component for my WIzards and there are often CSS conflicts between Radzen and SyncFusion. If they do not add one, I will most likely have to create my own custom Step (Wizard) component before the project is finished.

Olafur G.
Industry: Computer Software

Feature-rich easy to implement product with amazing customer support

Reviewed on 2/05/2020

This products solves almost all our needs along with the standard ui and productivity components on the platforms that we deliver solutions on. We are almost entirely an angular/typescript, asp.net core and Xamarin shop. This makes our life much simpler and the less complex and we are able to deliver multi-platform solutions quickly to the customer and make our own customer service more responsive.

Pros

Cons

Sometimes the documentation and examples leave something to be desired but the very quick and responsive customer support more than compensates for that.

Sabrina C.

Great components outstanding support

Reviewed on 15/02/2020

I'm using both the WPF components and the Web components, both on ASP.Net MVC and .Net Core, The use of these components reduces dramatically the development time and they have a great support for tasks as exporting to excel, word, html, and importing from external source, they have great PDF management and Visualization components and Great components to manage Word and Excel documents.

Pros

The good documentation, many samples, easy to apply on our software, but most of all the outstanding support from the company that supplies a sample to solve a problem or any How To question. Is very attentive when a possible bug is pointed out and if it is a bug a fix is provided in a scheduled time.

Cons

the only thing I don't like much is that upgrading the desktop projects when I upgrade the libraries is a time consuming task. But I don't think there is a way to avoid this.

James H.
Industry: Computer Software

Syncfusion is key to our success....really!

Reviewed on 7/08/2020

Pros

We have been using Syncfusion for a long long time (about 8+ years).

We were looking for a component suite which had all the necessary parts required for our software. At the time (and this still ultimately holds) Syncfusion were only the only ones to have a web Diagramming component AND all the other components (editable grids, hierarchical grids). An added bonus were the file handling packs (Excel, etc) so we can offer with our solution integration with Excel.

We've just recently upgraded the diagramming component to the new JS version and the feedback from our customers has been nothing but positive.

Cons

There are a couple of things:

- Documentation - The online documentation has bugs in that demos don't load and sample code cannot be seen.

- Quality - Sometime the QA of the components could be a bit better.

Hans rudolf H.

Great Product

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 9/04/2020

Pros

the uniformity of all libraries, competence and reality relevance of the libraries, code examples and templates....

Cons

announcements of new modules (and in 1 or 2 cases taking back of new releases) could be better announced and longer in advance.....

Jose E.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

The maelstrom of software development platforms

Reviewed on 24/03/2020

The experience with Essential Studio has been gratifying, not only for the functionality of its components or the improvements they offer in each release, but also for the technical support giving 100% follow-up to each problem reported.

Pros

Many updates cause malfunctions in components from previous versions, Syncfusion Essential Studio is no exception, however its technical support is highly committed to continuous product improvement, creating successful customer support experiences.

Generating software in Essential Studio manages to improve the processes of any organization, making it easy and intuitive.

Cons

The examples in the documentation are not enough. Should include more technical examples of component implementation

Manolo C.
Industry: Information Services

SDS

Reviewed on 22/05/2020

Pros

The product has a lot of components and a lot of customizations. at first it costs a little to use, but support is excelent. It is the reason why I prefer this product to another.

Excel, doc and pdf library are fantastic!

Cons

Some components, pdf viewer, file explorer are complicated to use, so I use other components

Grant G.

Syncfusion in WPF C# applications

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

There is learning curve of course, but there are lots of examples included.
I learned a lot more working thru the examples than from reading the documentation, which is typical I guess.
It did most of what I hoped and am satisfied.

Pros

Graphical display of data in animated pie charts etc., and easier customization of data grid control columns.

Cons

It is impossible to make this library complete... in that every control anyone could ever want could never be included.

But I needed control which was not included in the library quite quickly.
A data grid/tree control is include, which works well, but a combo box/tree control was also needed. An example of one of these is in
I ended up writing my own using examples from the web.

I also had problems with the color picker... a change in the selected color wasn't easily communicated to the other program levels, and the whole control was complicated and heavy weight.

Emmanuel S.

Great set of components

Reviewed on 20/04/2020

I have been very satisfied with Essential Studio. It took a little time to learn (coming from having used DevExpress), but after a while, it was easy to use and understand. The documentation (demos and docs) are very good and comprehensive. The support (ticketing service) is excellent!!

Pros

The suite contains enough components for all platforms that are relevant to us, namely: ASP.NET Core, Blazor, Xamarin Forms, UWP, WPF.
The components are beautiful. I love the Xamarin Forms support and components.

Cons

Integrating all web components (ASP.NET Core, Blazor) don't always follow usage patterns relative to the platform. Most of the time, may components rely on javascript or HTML content, which is not natural patter for the platform. For example, with Blazor, a lot of things are done with HTML, instead of integrating it directly into the Razor Component.

Santosh B.

Why SyncFusion?

Reviewed on 13/03/2020

Pros

I have been using Telerik's controls for almost 10 years now before being introduced to SyncFusion.

I would have to say that the Community License is the greatest reason for me to switch from Telerik.

Currently I am working on Angular projects and I have only used SyncFusion's Angular controls but I have found that the controls are equal to or greater in quality to the Telerik controls.

The grid in particular is much easier to use and develop with; it has been a challenging learning curve to transition from the Telerik grid control only because I have had to map actions and events from one to the other.

I think if I did not have such a long history with the Telerik controls, I wouldn't have any issues in learning to use the SyncFusion controls. I found this to be true when working with controls I had not used before .

Cons

Other than issues transitioning code from Telerik to Syncfusion, I haven't found any cons for using SyncFusion.