Webroot

Smarter Cybersecurity Services & Solutions

4.6 /5 (177 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
4.5
4.4
4.6
4.5
Steven M.
Industry: Financial Services
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Best of the best, but you pay for it

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

I continue to use the software at home and recommend to anyone out there to include Webroot in their list of vendors to evaluate. Do not let the technology get to you. Just because the software does something different than what you are used to, try it out before disregarding Webroot as a solution.

We found Webroot easy to deploy with a light footprint which more than made up for the additional cost.

Pros

Webroot does an amazing job of removing and detecting threats to computers. We also found it very simple to install with a very light footprint on the computer. Users never complained about computer slow downs due to virus scans when we had Webroot deployed.

Cons

We faced two issues with Webroot. Their technology is impressive, but complicated. We never were able to really wrap our heads around how their technology worked compared to other antivirus / antispyware solutions, but it did work, and was quite successful at it. The other concern with Webroot was its price. It is the best software out there we have found for computer protection but it is among the most costly.

Rob P.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Simple, light weight, and effective antivirus

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

We were a large enough deployment that we had assistance in our initial installation from a Webroot Engineer to setup the different policies for workstations, servers, and remote desktop servers. The understanding of the setting in the policies and having someone guide us to making the right decisions was key to making sure that we were protected and that Webroot did have any performance impact especially on our servers.

Pros

We use the software daily and find that it is easy to use and do not get any complaints from users about it slowing down their systems. Deployment and licensing is simple and can be done by sending an email with a link, group policy, or manual installation. We get alerts in near real time of any threats found and while we sometimes have to do additional remediation we have not had a serious outbreak.

Cons

We get false positives around generic Trojans that need to be whitelisted. The whitelisting of programs in by the MD5 hash of the files contained in the programs. The method for identifying and whitelisting the MD5 hash of files in the programs is not intuitive and is done by what Webroot sees as unidentified files. Since Webroot does not have the traditional whitelist a folder so it doesn't scan the folder for viruses that other AV systems use we are often having to explain and butt heads with software vendors who blame the AV for issues.

Technical support is knowledgeable, but we had issues getting a hold of technical support and response to tickets is often 24 - 48 hours.

Response from Webroot Software

Thank you for all of the valuable feedback!

Nathan M.
Industry: Automotive

Speed, but with sacrifices.

Reviewed on 29/03/2016

I've used Webroot Endpoint Protection for a little over two years. I've found every aspect of the product to be excellent except (and this is a big except) actual detection of threats, and client speed on OS X systems.

Webroot allowed several common worms through at my client's location, and did not detect them on a standard Windows 7 installation, even on repeated scans, after I was able to confirm that the infected downloads and compromised .dll files were within the scope of protection.

Needless to say, this did not inspire confidence. I wound up using a Kaspersky live stick to remove the infections, and installing a realtime threat detection system using Suricata and ClamAV to meet the data security needs of our clients and ensure we were meeting the obligations of our contracts.

Pros

Very easy to use and deploy, administrative console allows excellent granular controls of client privileges, scope of protection, and endpoint groups. Integrates with Windows server products for deployment (though I use Samba instead, so this was not an option), and provides a centralized point for administrator notification and action when compromised/infected systems are detected. Client seems relatively fast and works on multiple platforms, though see below re. OS X.

Cons

In my experience, Webroot, though the exposed end is fast and well-designed, does not reliably block or detect common threats. This is obviously a Big Deal in a product billed as enterprise-grade antivirus/antimalware. One employee at the affected client's office was able to download three separate third-party software installers containing malware payloads on a Saturday, install them, and work for a full weekend before I arrived back on Monday to complaints that her machine was being "slow and weird". I discovered that Webroot, though fully deployed and set to monitor downloads, warn on browsing, and scan the affected directories, simply had not alerted on anything. At that point, it doesn't matter how beautiful the interface may be: antimalware software which lets common malware through is essentially useless.

Also, while there is an OS X client, it's buggy and slow. It causes problems with network browsing and network virtualization with both VirtualBox and VMware Fusion, and it results, for some reason, in systemwide UI slowdowns, which suggest to me that there may be some elemental problems with the codebase: use of deprecated APIs, memory leaks, etc.—not usable.

Response from Webroot®

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, Nathan.

All threat related matters need to be handled by our Threat Team directly. You can open a ticket or contact our Team by phone for immediate assistance.

Open a Support Ticket: http://mysupport.webrootanywhere.com/supportwelcome.aspx?SOURCE=ENTERPRISEWSA
Business Technical Support:
Call 1-866-254-8400

Regards,
Josh P.
Digital Care Coordinator

Industry: Information Technology & Services

powerfull managed security endpoint protection

Reviewed on 24/06/2020

Very good software that fulfill our needs with having a powerful security end point protection that offer strong service and protection to our clients and keep them protected while we can manage and monitor them from our admin console.
the software works perfect and smoothly with no problem and keeping everyone safe

Pros

Easy to install, monitor and use.
Number of clients complaining of being attacked has dropped down to almost none after using this product.
can run commands from portal or scan and clean.
can put clients into categories and groups.
can apply different polices to clients.
simple file to install and run
doesn't affect computer performance.
can block end user from changing settings of the software or even hide the whole interface

Cons

Reporting system can be improved.
if it can contain option to remote desktop.
if the support can be upgraded to live chat instead of submitting a tic and waiting for their response.
in some cases we had some Mac users showing software has been offline and not running

Response from Webroot Software

Thank you so much for leaving a review with so much detail and feedback! I will share your improvement suggestions with our product team.

Excellent Antivirus software

Reviewed on 22/09/2020

My overall experience has been positive, I have no issues with this product and I use it for all of my customer which is almost 100 at this time.

Pros

Simple interface, easy to use, no update necessary, streaming definition, easy to install, and takes seconds to deploy

Cons

I wish the firewall was more advance and has more customization, I believe they need to work on this.

Response from Webroot Software

Thank you for the honest feedback!

Evan S.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Small, Easy to Deploy Cloud Endpoint Protection

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

we were able to stop a zero day trojan that came through almost immediately. That was impressive.

Pros

The web console is very easy to use, and allows you to control profiles and quarantine files or paths.

Cons

It has a few times marked good files as bad, and caused some software not to run or work correctly. These instances are few and far between

Response from Webroot Software

Thank you so much for writing this review! I'm glad to hear that Webroot's cloud-based protection was able to catch that 0-day Trojan! This is a huge benefit of the tech we used compared to our competitors - your protection is ALWAYS up to date!

-Webroot community team

Richard R.
Industry: Computer Software

The best security

Reviewed on 24/02/2020

My overall experience has been great. I like the product so much that it is my go to for new PCs that come in.

Pros

Wenbroot is by far the best virus protection software out there. Webroot scans PCs very fast. This is the fastest scanner I have ever used and by far the cheapest.

Cons

There isn't anything that I do not like about Webroot. It really is the best virus protection software.

Response from Webroot Software

Thank you so much for the glowing review! I appreciate you taking the time to do this :)

Lorraine S.
Industry: Arts & Crafts

Webroot Anywhere Computer Protection

Reviewed on 29/09/2020

I have been a customer for more than 6 years. I would not have a computer without Webroot installed.

Pros

It is easy to install and is always running in the background on my computer. I do a lot of research and it protects me from phishing sites.

Cons

I have not found anything wrong with this program. It is always running and tells me if the sites I visit are safe.

Response from Webroot Software

Glad to hear you're feeling safe online while using Webroot - thanks for the review!

Brian B.
Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Best full-spectrum protection for the price!

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

Extremely fast, real-time updates and easy to use!

Pros

Provides user licenses for up to 3 or more systems. Cloud-based, instant updates, sync with smartphone app for Android or Apple.

Cons

Suggest a 30-day trial version of software for new users to compare with existing protection platform software.

Response from Webroot Software

Thank you so much for the detailed review! Glad you're finding our cloud-based threat management system to be effective for your needs!

-Webroot Community Team

Tahseen K.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Nice and Trustworthy Security Program

Reviewed on 29/09/2020

I would recommend using Webroot to anyone, especially new computer users with less knowledge of security.

Pros

Webroot has been around for a while and is trusted by many. I have used it since it often comes free with new computers, and I have never had any issues with viruses or malware.

Cons

The interfaces is a little outdated, but, as I always say, if it ain't broke - don't fix it! Online web-browsing protection could be expanded.

Response from Webroot Software

Appreciate the constructive feedback about our UI. We're actually in the midst of a total UI overhaul which will release in the near future - keep an eye out for that!

Anthony M.

Clear Winner in a Crowded Field of Protection

Reviewed on 12/09/2019

Overall it is very easy to find antivirus protection but when it comes to minimal false negatives and no resource hogging clients this is the clear winner.

Pros

Webroot is a thin, non-system resource intensive anti-virus and malware protection suite. We have tried countless renditions of protection but none offer the amount of protection and ease of use as Webroot. We deploy the client from the web panel and each user is managed in groups with group policies set within our management console. All viruses, malware, and other threats are reported and handled by the client and admins are notified of the threat. The good thing is that the deployment talks to our cloud based management whenever internet is accessed. Users can't disable the client either without our administrative overview.

Cons

The only con I can see is we have had a couple clients that appeared twice in the management and with no rhyme or reason. This was fixed by removing both an reinstalling the client on those particular clients. The good news is that it only happened once or twice.

Industry: Legal Services

Best PC protection available

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

In spite of a few minor issues, I still think Webroot has the best protection out there. I would definitely recommend it to any small business owner.

Pros

The set-up for Webroot is extremely simple. You download the software, enter your product key and it does the rest. It has excellent explanations that tell you what each function does and how it works. For instance, it has a good explanation of how its firewall function manages connections to your machines that make sense to a non-technical person such as me. I love that it runs in the background without seeming to affect my computer and only gives pop-up messages when something needs attention.

I love that the vendor offers discounts for multiple installations at a relatively small breakpoint. As a small business owner, it certainly makes the product more affordable.

Cons

The Webroot Filtering Extension is not always reliable. For example, it lists my company website as a potentially dangerous page when I know that there is nothing wrong with my page. It has also listed some of the websites of my clients as potentially dangerous pages. I have to admit that I don't know exactly how it decides which pages are malicious and which are not, but whatever method it uses seems a little off.

There are also some challenges with the dashboard. I had a laptop crash and needed to re-install Windows. When I did, I wanted to release the license formerly assigned to the crashed laptop and re-assign it so that I would my number of licenses restriction. It was extremely difficult to do so. I ended up having to contact Support for help. And they were very helpful, but it just seems like something one ought to be able to do through the dashboard.

Industry: Warehousing

Solid Anti Virus

Reviewed on 17/06/2019

Pros

The installation package is very small, installs very quickly, and is easy to keep up to date. They just recently rolled out a new management console which is a welcome upgrade to the previous interface. I also like the ability to group my endpoints by location and apply different antivirus policies as needed without touching the actual machine or even remote desktop.

Cons

If you deactivate an endpoint it does not remove it from your account, it goes into a "deactivated endpoints" group, which can be confusing if you are new to Webroot.

Industry: Computer & Network Security

Webroot, a powerful antivirus to keep your computer safe.

Reviewed on 14/01/2019

Currently I am administrator of a Webroot console in which I have the management of several organizations and it has been a good experience when you compare the behavior of the endpoint in different equipment, complies with that is due to find threats, generate reports and prepare exceptions.

In the latter the exceptions merit a little time to get more out of it, it is not easy to elaborate them if you do not have knowledge of how Webroot works. The deployment of commands facilitates progress to perform some activities.

Pros

I have been working with Webroot for more than 2 years and has covered part of our needs. Your database is kept up to date for any threat, the management of the console is attractive and the documentation is very helpful. The control of policies is worth highlighting because if you have a large organization you can set parameters for different sectors and with different configurations that are very useful, even the notifications via email for the followers of the console serves as support.

Cons

Webroot has many nice things in its projection as antivirus, but has some things to adjust, for example the generation of report endpoints without updating after a certain time.

In mobile devices I have had little experience but it has happened that the update must be done manually. I think they should improve it.

Brian L.
Industry: Utilities

Webroot

Reviewed on 15/05/2020

New stable overall endpoint security platform

Pros

As good as any of the products out there plain and simple

Cons

I can't say that I dislike anything about this software package

Response from Webroot Software

Thanks so much for writing a review! I'm glad you're already getting so much value out of the product.

Tammy G.
Industry: Medical Practice

Cost effective Antivirus Software

Reviewed on 16/07/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Overall I like Webroot. I had a lot of problems with other antivirus software causing some programs not to function properly so I will continue using Webroot for now.

Pros

The software is easy to use and seems to do a thorough job of scanning all files. I haven't had any virus infections since installing the software. It's easy to navigate through the different functions and set up specific parameters.

Cons

There are some programs that Webroot blocks and will not let me access. This has caused me to have to access these programs on a laptop instead of the desktop it's installed on which is cumbersome. I think it's a firewall issue but I haven't found a work around yet.

Response from Webroot Software

Thanks so much for leaving a review for Webroot! Regarding the blocking of certain files/programs, this can be resolved by using the whitelist functionality within Webroot. If you need assistance using this feature, please see this link: https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#ManagingQuarantine/BlockingOrAllowingFiles.htm%3FTocPath%3DManaging%2520Quarantine%7C_____2

Sean G.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

I am always protected.

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

The fact that it is always on and active in the background is appealing. I don't like other products that constantly remind you they are there with pop-ups. I am not sure if it has stopped any viruses or trouble but there is a comfort knowing it's always there and working.

Pros

Webroot runs in the background and updates automatically. There are no pop-ups or messages like you have with other products so even though it is always on and working you don't realize its going.

Cons

This is the preferred antivirus and protection software by my IT team but it is expensive. Not prohibitively, but expensive enough where there is a license fee that has to be paid to keep the software active. I wish you could buy they software outright.

Response from Webroot Software

Hey there Sean,

Thanks so much for writing this positive review! The best antivirus solution is one that sits in the background, doesn't bother you, and keeps you protected - glad you're having that experience so far. If you ever need anything, please reach out to us at: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/home-contact

Thanks!
Keenan - Webroot Community Specialist

Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Lightweight antivirus solution should be part of your security stance

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 1/11/2019

We needed a lighter-weight AV solution. The solution we switched from consumed a lot of RAM at times and we could not quite figure out why even with vendor support and KB articles. We coupled WebRoot with another AV and did so at reduced cost.

Pros

Low system resource utilization. Reliable client. Excellent Admin console. No management server to maintain.

Cons

It seems to duplicate registered machines randomly. We'd sort by machine name and find duplicates which count against your license quota. We'd have to disable the machine with the older file update version.

Response from Webroot Software

Hey there,

Thanks so much for writing up this detailed review! We really appreciate you joining the Webroot team and I'm glad that you're having a good experience with it so far. Have you checked in with our support team regarding duplicated machines? I'm sure that we can help you find a fix for this. Please contact our support department at: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/home-contact

Thanks!
Keenan - Webroot Community Specialist

Paul S.
Industry: Machinery
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Product is very good and is efficient. Does not slow most systems down.

Reviewed on 15/12/2017

Less admin overhead and less of a resource hog on the end points. It is a little harder to deploy, but since it is not 500GB, like some of the major players in the space, it works really well.

Support has been good for helping us with some detections but the lack of fixed IP space for the clients to connect to is frustrating. And installing with the proxy setting is not always consistent.

Pros

The footprint is tiny. It is very fast and efficient. It does not slow down systems when it is working. Support is pretty good. I would say this is good software for a MSP or a smaller Org. We might find a replacement if they can't fix their problems.

Cons

It needs to talk to Amazon Cloud to check in with the portal. We don't allow access out to the internet without a proxy. WebRoot IP's are changing because they are on AWS. So we can't put IP based rules in our firewalls to allow access. And we are not going to allow all AWS IP's. I really wish WR would get a range of fixed IP's so the client can attach. When they can't attach, they get disconnected. They have a proxy option while installing, but it seems kind of intermittent. Works sometimes, and sometimes not.

Altagracia V.

It is a good alternative to keep our equipment and files safe from threats

Reviewed on 11/07/2018

In general terms I can assure that today I feel very safe with this antivirus installed on my computers. It is a great protector, very efficient that has saved me several times from malware and Trojans that have put my files at risk.

Pros

This program can be used in different platafmormas and its price is competitive with respect to other antivirus in the market. It is light and does not slow down my machine. You have the option to program scans and do it in the background. The program runs on different operating systems which is a very positive aspect. Its interface is simple

Cons

Sometimes it detects false positives when we try to download an application that is clean. That is usually uncomfortable because it takes time away. Even so, I think that the positive aspects of this program go far beyond the negative ones

Response from Webroot Software

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and if you ever need help regarding a false positive, our support team is only a phone call away at 1-866-254-8400.

Industry: Retail

A Solid System that I Often Recommend

Reviewed on 18/01/2019

Pros

WebRoot is my go-to Anti-Virus and Digital Security System. I have worked in technology retail for many many years and I found that WebRoot was one of the more rigorous and aggressive systems for blocking unwanted programs and keeping my information safe; but also one that had the best User Interface and was able to be communicated clearly to the uninitiated. When having to choose between selling WebRoot and other software, I would always recommend WebRoot.

Cons

I have very little negative feedback for WebRoot. It has kept my systems safe for many years and I continue to renew my account each year. I'm sure there may be features I'm not using optimally and not informed about such decisions, but I have been pleased with the product WebRoot has put out.

Tyler T.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

hands down the best. Webroot is who you want watching your back.

Reviewed on 6/02/2018

If you want real protection software, that wont slow your computer down or kill your wallet. Webroot is it! Nothing is better.

Pros

Cost effective
Support agents, actually know their product
Low resource
Effective security

Cons

Central management console only allows for reboots of the agent.
I would like more control, remediation, and notification.

no reports i can find so far.

Response from Webroot Software

Thanks for the review, Tyler.
Always know that we have your back! It's our privileged.

I saw that you'd like more reporting functionality and control. The team and I have seen these requests come in recently from others as well. Please feel free to add your own thoughts and ideas to our Feature Request section so that you can help us make Webroot even better!

Business Feature Requests: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Feature-Requests/idb-p/ent4

All the best and thank you again!

Webroot Community Support Team

Nyeisa B.

Why i choose Webroot over other antiviruses

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

Webroot is a all around simple antivirus that keeps all your devices safe from harmful files and viruses. You can cover up to 5 devices under one membership

Pros

Webroot is fairly priced in my opinion and not only that but you are allowed to have up to 5 devices per each membership. So you could cover your cell phone, labtop, desktop PC and whatever devices under the same membership. It runs smooth and it hardly ever slows up your PC or device while it is running, sometimes it will a little bit when you are scanning with it, but not slow enough to complain about unlike other antiviruses.

Cons

There are certain options it has that I have been trying to figure out and has been time consuming for example It took me forever to figure out and set up the password manager it offers, but it is something I really needed in my life. It has system optimize and system analyzer with it but it should have more options such as defrag or uninstall apps etc etc.

Gary H.
Industry: Government Administration

Keeps computer secure

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

We've had no issues with Webroot to date, so it seems to be a pretty good security suite that runs unobtrusively.

Pros

We got this security software package when purchasing computers and support package from Best Buy/Geek Squad. The program runs in the background with minimal CPU usage and hasn't allowed any suspicious malware, viruses, etc. on the computers (as far as I can tell). It also has a web browser app that keeps you secure when browsing the internet on your phone.

Cons

There's not much reporting with this software. I like to see what it scanned, what it discovered, and actions taken, but in more detail.

Threat Intelligence

Reviewed on 17/05/2018

It ensures that data from millions of sources, including real-world endpoints and our embedded security partners. Select data points are correlated across URLs, IP addresses, files, and mobile apps to enable predictive determinations on where threats may emerge, based on a guilt-by-association model.

Pros

Very rarely requires an increased hardware profile
Integrates directly with the partner's management console, policy engine, and reporting infrastructure.Scales across the partner's product lines, from solutions for SMBs to those for remote offices or roaming machines, to the data center
Development efforts that can be leveraged across the same range of product lines.

Cons

From the time it was installed to the time it was up and running we hadn't had any major issues that would cause any type of concern.