Lumen5

AI-based video creating, editing and marketing platform

4.6 /5 (108 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
4.5
4.3
4.7
4.6
Industry: E-Learning
Company size: Self Employed

Great for short, simple, text-based videos.

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2/04/2020

I was lucky enough to have a free 1 year subscription from AppSumo, and enjoyed it while I used it. I did not renew after the deal ended.

Pros

It made it really easy to share videos frequently on social media, without having to shoot any footage. Ideal for sharing quick tips, news, etc.

Cons

Resizing videos wasn't flawless, and sometimes updates wouldn't be saved causing work to be lost. Thankfully, it wasn't frequent.

Lindy R.
Industry: Executive Office

Great for Social Media Videos

Reviewed on 7/10/2020

Use it to create content for my social media. It works great.

Pros

I love the ease of use and streamlined way they've set up the dashboard when creating videos. I like that there are so many options for music and that you can pull slides in to create content.

Cons

I didn't like that the maximum length of a video is 5 minutes. I know it's for social media but I'd like to be able to use it to create longer tutorials for YouTube. I also don't like that the version I purchased through AppSumo has a watermark at the end of the videos.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Zohaib Y.
Industry: Design

Make Videos Easily

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 18/09/2020

Well my experience is good I use to create small videos on lumen for my social media. But now I am switched to After effects which is definitely a huge leap.

Pros

Lumen5 is one of my favorite product the best thing about lumen5 that you don't need any prior video making knowledge it's super easy to use and the results you can produce with it are wonderful. It also empowers the small startups who are looking to create content for their social media marketing.

Cons

Well the least favorite thing about lumen5 is lack of features as compared to other conventional video editing software so for the experienced people it's not a ideal option.

Abigail N.

Easy way to convert blog posts to videos

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 13/07/2018

Pros

Here's what I liked about Lumen5
1. Creating a video is pretty straightforward: After signing up, you'll be taken to your dashboard. Click on the create video button, after which you'll be shown 3 options, create a video from an article or blog post, copy & paste your content, or create a video from scratch.

2. Instant Videos: According to Lumen5 "These are intelligently crafted videos based on your blog posts." to create an instant video you'll have to add at least 1 RSS feed. After adding a feed you'll get the notification "Successfully added! We're analyzing that feed and will send you an email when we have videos ready." It took roughly 5 minutes to receive the email but instead of waiting for the email, after two minutes I refreshed the instant videos page and there were already draft videos from my blog posts. I could then edit their suggestions and tailor it to my needs.

3. Media Gallery: Lumen5 had their gallery of images, stock music and gifs which I could use to make my videos. I liked that I could upload my own images.

4. Video Orientation: I liked that I could make a landscape 16:9 video, or a square 1:1 video.

5. Video length: Lumen5 lets you choose what speed you want the "slides" to play at, this determines the length of the video. You can choose fast, slow or normal. The number of slides also determines how long your video would be.

Cons

1. Instant Videos: I added 2 RSS feeds to Lumen5, one was to my LGBT book blog and the other was to my marketing blog. I wanted to see what intelligent videos they would create and while the video for my marketing blog was good, the videos for my book blog was horrible.
The images suggested did not match any of the blog posts. This is probably because while they have a good media gallery, the images are mostly generic or marketing related, so I had to replace all the images in the video.
What I think should be done: I think they need to add more diversity to the images in their media gallery. I know there is an option to upload my own image but I still think they need to have a varied selection of images that can be used for non-marketing related videos. I also think they need to improve their AI to select suitable images for a video.

2. Video Speed/Lenght: Currently the length of the video depends on the number of slides and the video speed, ie fast, slow or normal. However, if you choose "fast" this speed is applied to all the slides.
What I think should be done: I'd like to be able to vary the speed of each slide, there are some slides I'd like to be longer than the rest because it might have a lot more info than other slides, or because I want people to take an action or notice something specific. I'd rather not have all the slides play slowly.

Brian B.
Industry: Internet

Easy Way to Create Videos From Posts

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

Pros

This is a pretty cool and easy way to generate high quality videos from blog posts/existing content. Overall, I like how it scans your content and then lays out a suggested video with images and motion animation. It also allows you to select music to give your videos more depth.

Cons

Some of the editing features are limited and lacking. This in a way keeps the production process simple and saves time, yet at times can be a bit frustrating when you'd like more options.

Ale R.
Industry: Newspapers

Amazing, easy and fast for make video

Reviewed on 15/02/2018

We add more content value on our site, create a new way to distribute our content on new format. We have a growing youtube channel thanks to lumen5

Pros

Make videos is really expensive and time consuming. Lumen 5 is take to next level if you work with content. Is perfect, because today people consume content on post or video.

We use it on somosmamas.com.ar to transform a post into a video in minutes, now we have a youtube channel and growing.

- Easy to use
- Good library
- Fun to use
- Low cost for make a video
- access to premium library
- improved every single day
- dont have to writte, import text for articles
- Non video expert need (forget about adobe premiere)
- Fast result
-Perfect for brief video (1-1.30min)
- Great for add a video to your content

At the moment is the best solution for video. Fast, Easy and good end result

Cons

- not all video format
- need to have better personalization
- without a discount is not cheap
- no audio recording at the moment (no voice over)
- sometimes take time on rendering the video
- need more text animation

Marco M.
Industry: E-Learning

The Ultimate Alchemist!

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

This is an essential software for any social media marketer or blogger that wants to upcycle content into videos. Lumen5 does the work so that I don't have to waste my time. It allows me to do so much more...with so much less.

Pros

I work hard and I often don't have the time and energy to create multiple forms of content. Lumen5 does that for me. It takes the sweat that I put into writing my blog posts and turns them into attention-grabbing videos...instantly.
All I have to do is spend a few minutes reviewing the content and then, click, I have a video.
I love how Lumen5 offers a bank of images to choose from and then has an algorithm that fits them with my content.
I love how I can alter texts, add music and speed up or slow down the images. Basically, I love that Lumen5 not only saves me time, but also gives me the freedom to customise my videos. What a software!

Cons

The functionality of voiceovers needs some attention. I'd like greater control over where I place them and how they fit into each slide.

Industry: Arts & Crafts

Great service

Reviewed on 27/07/2019

Pros

I love the instant videos feature. Posts from my website are extracted automatically to Lumen 5 and instantly are ready for further editing. I also love the brand preset feature, where your logo, branding colors, fonts etc are set up only once and then are available any time with one click.

Cons

I find their starter plan expensive for someone who does not a heavy content creator and needs it a couple of time during the month.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Video Creation Made Easy!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 28/12/2018

Pros

Simple and straight forward. We create a lot of videos to go with our clients blogs each month.

Cons

I find the software isn't evolving as quickly as other that I use.

William T.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Greatest Software for short videos

Reviewed on 8/01/2019

Great way to reach potential prospects easily

Pros

The simplicity of using it and the quality of it is fantastic

Cons

Nothing, I love everything about it couldn’t be easier to use

Jesse C.

Very basic advertising product

Reviewed on 15/08/2019

Pros

I recommend this for small businesses getting off the ground who need to market their product or service.

Cons

As an experienced videographer it is very limited to features.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Thomas W.
Industry: Computer Software

Rapid video development, but don't think everything is made for you

Reviewed on 29/05/2018

Convenience in making video without dedicated video tool and expertise.

Pros

Easy to get started in making beautiful cookie-cutter video. Rich content library and intuitive design.

Cons

The content generated by the AI is very basic. In the end, I recreated everything, but it's kind of expected anyway.

Volkan O.
Industry: Computer Software

Prepare videos fast from your blog posts

Reviewed on 17/05/2018

Pros

I like the user interface of it. You can prepare videos very fast and it's intuitive. There are enough fonts in the library.

Cons

I think it can supply more flexibility. Text places can be arranged more detailed. Maybe they can consider adding audio too.

Stephanie R.

Game changer!

Reviewed on 5/06/2019

Pros

It's SO easy to turn a blog post into a video- which gets way more attention on social media!

Cons

I wish there was the option for longer videos.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

A fantastic tool for quick video making!

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 21/10/2019

This tool is fantastic and easy to use. I couldn't ask for more.

Pros

Lumen 5 is one of the easiest tools I've used. In minutes you can make great and eye-catching videos. It is especially great for turning written content into video form. Really really love this software.

Cons

The free trial is limited in the quality of videos you can make and so you will probably need to upgrade.

Jennifer S.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Fun and Easy!

Reviewed on 24/12/2018

I love that it keeps emailing me with suggestions and new ideas to present my messages/blog content. I honestly have forgotten in between videos that I even have access to this software...and then I get an email with my own content in a video that Lumen5 created and it jazzes me up to want to edit it and create my own video and share my content in a new way. It's like an accountability coach that sends me a reminder every time I post a new blog. I love that!

Pros

First of all, I love that it gave me the idea to make videos out of my blogs! I love that it keeps me up to date on that idea by sending me sample videos that it created for me automatically. I have not loved the automatic ones, but it gives me the nudge I need to be able to create what I prefer and then share a pretty cool product that I made in a very short period of time.

Cons

I don't like the videos it creates for me so far. I don't think the automatic program has any idea how to handle my perspective/approach - the automatic videos are very basic.

Nevlynn J.

Very Easy to Use Tool for Creating Great Social Media Videos

Reviewed on 15/11/2017

Makes my messages stand out against the plain text versions of my competitors.

Pros

It is super easy to create social media videos using plain text or blog content. I use it to promote events and interesting new product features to share on our social media channels. I have been using the free version for a while and you miss no functionalities whatsoever, the only thing is the video quality is lower than if you have a paid account which is fine for our business. Am considering an upgrade.

Cons

No big dislikes but it would be great if you could also upload your own music files, currently you can only use the music they have in their own database which is free to use and probably the reason why.

Software Review

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 7/01/2019

Been able to create short videos in under half an hour for bloggers and small businesses. Outstanding live action visual and stock music.

Pros

Easy to use. Access from all devices available. Have not experieneced any glitvhes.

Cons

The software on video play back/preview is a little delayed. However unsure if that is also affected by my wifi signal.

Depp L.

saves time while creating video

Reviewed on 30/04/2018

Time saving and easy to manage

Pros

I had to spend hours on creating video content for my business. Lumen5 has optimized my time, now I'm able to create videos from posts in 5 minutes. I also have access to a wide range oh high quality images

Cons

The subscription is pricey. It will improve if templates and more text style options are added. Also, Video recording should be supported too.

Response from Lumen5

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for the review! We're so glad it's saving you time. Just out of curiosity, how much time on average has it saved you per video?

Thanks!

Miguel P.

An easy way to transform your posts into videos

Reviewed on 8/04/2018

An easy way to transform your posts into videos

Pros

- you can make a video from a post in 2 minutes: just paste the link, choose the titles, put some images/videos, and its done!
- you have unlimited videos per month
- you have access to premium stock images and videos to put in your videos
- you can export in 720p or 1080p (depends on your plan)

Cons

- you do not have pre-existent templates
- its expensive for what it does: 99/per month in the premium plan

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Mary d. B.
Industry: Publishing

Lumen5 Rocks It!

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

Pros

Lumen was the first online video production site that made me wonder why I did things manually for so long. Easy to use, extensive stock images and video clips, audio and the ability to create something that looks professional.

Cons

The blog post video creation. Not something I would use but it may come in useful for other people.

Suzanne S.
Industry: Writing & Editing

Too much editing required

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 17/10/2019

It wasn't a good fit for me. I'm glad I had a year to try it without paying. I wouldn't have been happy paying for what I got.

Pros

I got a year's use of their higher tier for free. That's really about all I can say in terms of pros.

Cons

The slides weren't broken up in a way that made sense. The photos and videos the program chose to accompany the text didn't relate to the text, and very often there were limited resources available to use with the text for the videos. There was just not enough relevance and the videos took too much time to edit that it wasn't workable for me.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Industry: Financial Services
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Easy Way to Make Captioned Videos Fast

Reviewed on 1/04/2019

Overall, I like Lumen5 because it makes repurposing my blog content into video an easier and quick process. It also helps me make visually appealing videos quicker.

Pros

You can upload a link to an article and lumen5 will automatically create a video with images and captions. This makes the video creation process quicker and easier.

Cons

Sometimes the automated captions do not actually make sense and you will have to go into the video and re-edit.

Steve W.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Overall...the best video generator I've used

Reviewed on 3/07/2018

Pros

The software is so easy to use...you can either paste in your story or add a link to a blog post or webpage and it will auto generate for you. Based on keywords in your text, the software will add in free to use images to speed up the process but you can add in your own images to cover this.

Cons

Uploading your own images is not as intuitive as it could be and requires a number of clicks more than it should. This is a very minor quibble and doesn't hurt any of the process, it's just very noticeable in a software that is about speed as well as quality.

Richard M.
Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Great video software

Reviewed on 8/08/2019

Happy with this product overall and use whenever I have a need.

Pros

I use this to create social media videos to advertise jobs I am recruiting for and it is one of the best I have tried tend to use it on the free license version as do not need the upgrade at the moment

Cons

little clunky to use when you use a document to create content but with a little time, it comes right.