Aloha

Restaurant management and EPOS solution for businesses

4.3 /5 (53 reviews) Write a Review!
4.3
3.6
4.3
3.6
Justyna K.
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Like the table layout on the screen

Reviewed on 18/03/2020

For managers great tool to keep track of all the comps voids labor and etc.

Pros

So much easier than micros. Dummy proof for new servers. Easy for servers to navigate.

Cons

Credits cards system from time to time goes down. Customer service hard to reach in the timely manner.

Brian H.
Industry: Higher Education
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Make your F&B ePOS work for you the easy way

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

Put it this way: when I would go to interview here and there for management positions in restaurants, one of the first things I'd do is steal a quick glance around to see what ePOS was in use. When I would see Aloha, it was an immediate sense of relief. They are just so easy to learn and use. So much so that I dare say it will still help you save money even if you are replacing an old, paid-off system that did get the job done (kind of). For example, I cannot tell you how many nights I have spent, exhausted after a crazy shift with a arbitrary ePOS and a crying server or bartender because their checkout got butchered by some mistake, then the attempted "fix" didn't have the intended effect, then the fix to fix the fix went haywire - that won't happen anymore. Aloha will simply the process for your staff = reduced training hours, far fewer incorrect orders sent to the kitchen, less servers running to the expo to rattle off what they "actually meant" when they tried to use archaic codes to modify an item, less food coming back to the kitchen because it isn't right, easy checkout that does fabulous things like letting an admin level user undo things like erroneously split tables or incorrect payments assigned to incorrect seat numbers, and I haven't even gotten to it's back-of-the-house superiority. You can get any report generated to show you just about any piece of information you would like about your business, as the system is easily customizable for your needs.

Pros

I have worked in restaurant management across the world, and have encountered various ePOS systems that do the job but that's about it. Aloha is not one of those. You could quit literally sit someone down in front of it and in 5 minutes they'll know the basics, 10 minutes they will be able to enter more complex orders and complex checkouts (e.g. split checks, etc.), and in 30 minutes they could be capable of programming your entire business into it from scratch and running any report you could want. A la iPhone. It really is that simple to use.

Cons

Like any computer, terminals can sometimes get glitchy and must be rebooted, but impatient folk servers and managers alike may start thumping on the screen with their pens, fingernails, etc, and after awhile it will take a toll on the touchscreen. But I've experienced this in $10mln/yr volume restaurants when they are under heavy use, not $2mln/yr volume businesses.

Aloha Review

Reviewed on 23/09/2020

Overall, Aloha is a very good software to use and recommend it to restaurants to use for their employers.

Pros

I use Aloha at the restaurant I work at; it is the computer system we use to send our orders to the kitchen. What I like most about this software is that it is very easy to use. The layout and color scheme is nice and not too outdated or overpowering.

Cons

There is one specific issue that comes to my mind from using Aloha that I liked least. When I was typing in an order one day and then sent it through to the kitchen, the kitchen was not able to receive the entire order of what I typed. It got cut off and I think that was due to typing in too much information. It may have also been because of the specific button I used. Regardless, this isn't a big issue and it's not like people are going to be typing in "novels" to send into the kitchen.

Elizabeth H.
Industry: Hospitality

Behind the times

Reviewed on 13/11/2019

Pros

Aloha was great in the late 00's when it was the most advanced POS system around. It has detailed reporting and is widely known in the hospitality industry

Cons

It is not cloud based. Your computer goes down, god speed! The reports are clunky and hard to define if you want to drill down.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Heather W.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great POS!

Reviewed on 6/10/2020

I would say that of the point of sale systems I have run across, this is definitely one of my favorites. I find it easy to teach, and rare to come across problems.

Pros

This point of sale system is popular for a reason its clearly one of the best. Their customer service is great (if you ever have to contact them anyway), and deployment is easy because it's very user friendly. It takes virtually no time at all to get used to, and it runs smoothly and easily.

Cons

There not much to dislike, it's been great to use. I think pricing is pretty standard for the system, and it's been easy to use.

Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Great features, Difficult Access

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

My restaurant first opened using the RPower POS system. It worked well for a while, but as we grew busier it became apparent that modifications, and edits to orders were taking much too long, and felt very clunky. I think that Aloha gives servers the ability to streamline their orders and as they become more comfortable with the system they can become quite speedy. Overall Aloha is the best POS system that I have used so far, but nothing is perfect.

Pros

I believe that Aloha gives the user more abilities in the front of the house than most POS systems I have used. The ability to highlight multiple items at once and duplicate/delete is a great feature not found in other systems. I also enjoy the overall lay out of the buttons, as far as having space between each button (which makes it easier for touch screen use), and the ability to add as many different sub menus at desired.

Cons

I wish that there was a way to customize the color of the buttons. When this system is implemented in busy restaurants (which is my experience with it) color coding different things such as ingredient/sauces/allergies could make the adjustment period for new servers much quicker, and cut down on the amount of time spent searching for certain things in the menus. I also feel like the strength of Aloha is in its day to day use. When using the master computer to try and revamp, or set up new menu items in the office the process is far from intuitive, and takes a long time to become proficient in. Maybe if there was a 'helpful hints' type feature for new user that would be a great addition.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

William K.
Industry: Restaurants

A good product that did not keep up with the times

Reviewed on 9/06/2020

We us Aloha for Point of sale at a restaurant. Our biggest problem, is that we can't do basic necessary upgrades like accept chip reader credit cards, or online ordering. Our server software is not compatible without windows 10 and windows 97 is out of date.

Pros

The front of house interface is relatively easy to use. Quick and easy to navigate. The back of the house component is moderately easy to use and change.

Cons

The problem with this platform, is that because of its design, it can not keep up with regulatory or technological advancements. It was a major outlay financially, and because ti is not flexible, it can not be brought up to date, it needs to be replaced.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Kelly M.
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

The easiest Point of Sale System of them all to learn and use.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 10/06/2020

What is there not to like about software created for staff of all levels of experience. In previous places of employment, I had worked with the point of sale systems that were so intricate that it took me weeks to fully master all of the features to its operation, so I was a bit worried that Aloha would turn out to be another one of those. Little did I know that this would be the software that made me into the confident server I am today.

Pros

The Aloha POS System was by far the easiest software I have encountered throughout my work experience in the Food & Beverage Industry. The interface of the actual system itself that I used to enter customer orders into had everything right in front of your eyes on the main page of the screen, which allowed me to enter my orders quickly and accurately. This layout also helped me manage several customers tabs at once without having to jump through several hurdles to do so. Anytime an order needed a modification last minute, I was able to get the system to help in time.

Cons

There were honestly no features in this software that I came across and questioned its purpose or use. Everything has a place and where that place happens to be just makes sense for the establishment that it is attached to.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Ronnie B.

Overall Great Product

Reviewed on 24/09/2020

Overall easy to maneuver software. Easily controls employee clock in/out times. Holds easy access to sales through the POS. Overall great product.

Pros

Easy to learn software, most things are easily coded to navigate at ease. In the POS things are categorized which makes it easy on new employees.

Cons

Nothing stands out enough to dislike the software, sometimes the POS freezes and it needs to be manually restarted.

Industry: Real Estate
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Cannot go without

Reviewed on 29/11/2019

Like anything, it was a little hard to get used to at first. But now that the staff knows the ins and outs of the program, everyone is on board and it's really helped our business move forward.

Pros

The layout is nice and organized. The customer service is amazing as well

Cons

It was a bit hard to integrate with our current business structure. But were were more than willing to work it out.

Roscoe S.

Good but probably outdated

Reviewed on 14/11/2018

Loved East Bay Cash Register who sold me two systems, but now that NCR manages them, it’s over. Bye

Pros

Easy for waiters to use. Reports are easy to read. The hardware is fairly robust, purpose built.

Cons

Service once was wonderful, but since NCR bought them a couple of years ago it’s a cluster fuck. Initial support is routed to India where you’re on hold for 10 - 20 minutes, to talk to someone whose only solution is to reboot, which of course we’ve already done. Then they can only “escalate” which means it gets routed to another idiot in India who calls you back in a couple of days to tell you to reboot the system. Then it gets escalated again and in a week you get a call from the local office who fixes it in 5 min. And they only in the last few months have developed chip readers, which without it, requires you take a 300 question PCI compliance exam every 6 months, only to fail because you don’t have a chip reader, then you have to apply for an exemption which you always get, but still, hours of work because no chip reader. Loved my local office who sold me the machine, can’t do it again though.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Eric W.
Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Aloha is the best POS system we have used to operate our restaurant

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

We have used 3 different POS systems and overall found Aloha to be the most compatible for our restaurant.

Pros

This is the most user-friendly POS we have used in the restaurant
The back office is very easy to use for reports, inventory control and POS terminal maintenance
Aloha also has a direct affect on our customers. Our staff finds it easy to use and they spend less time learning and more time providing the best customer service experience.

Cons

This was the most expensive POS we have purchased at our restaurant.
If our POS terminals go down it tends to take some time for replacement

Justin B.
Industry: Restaurants

Used to be a great product

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

Years ago it was great software with great support. It hasn't kept up and upgrades are ridiculously expensive. I can't imagine seeing it at any new locations.

Pros

There are more features available on Aloha than in most POS systems. You just have to figure out how to use them (and support doesn't even know most of them!)

Cons

Aloha used to be the best option in POS. Unfortunately, support has plummeted, and any features that are included in newer platforms are either unavailable or expensive monthly payments to acquire.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Maggie W.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Aloha for Restaurants

Reviewed on 13/11/2018

Pros

I love how easy it is to set up the POS to completely mirror your menu, making it more user friendly for the staff. I also like that it can be set up with your back office software to pull real time numbers and real time inventory, keeping everything much cleaner and streamlined.

Cons

Sometimes there are weird little quirks with giftcards, both selling and redeeming. I also wish it was easier to locate a previous transaction by the last 4 digits of a credit card number.

Heather S.

Ringing in Food

Reviewed on 17/11/2019

Using Aloha as a server made putting in orders so easy. The mods were all right there with the menu items making even larger orders quick and seemingly error proof. The listing of the order placed was clearly visiable on the left side of the screen so add on or mistakes were seen before the order eas sent

Pros

While setting up the menus in the system the organization and catorgies were so easy to set up. The rep waa very knowledgeable and asked questions about the food itself to better understand the needs of the servers ordering process.

Cons

When we made menu changes it seemed difficult and expensive to remove or add items. The reps were slow to reply and kept trying to sell am upgrade our system.

Cate L.

Aloha from Oklahoma!

Reviewed on 26/02/2019

With a long history in the restaurant industry I have worked with my fair share of POS systems. Squirrel and Square being the most recent and relevant competitors. Aloha is by far the superior product in my opinion. The ease of use as far as setting up table and table numbers, server log-ins, adjusting orders, etc. The cross-platform functionality allows me to easily adjust menu items, their location within the system, and price from my computer without having to stand at a POS terminal. The ability to set and manage permissions such as voiding transactions or deleting entrees from tickets while somewhat tricky at first (shows a permission is in place but card or number fails to work at actual POS terminal until usually the next 24 hours) has helped to minimize loss by reducing the number of voided tickets or entrees.

Pros

Ease of use, functionality, cross-platform ability makes things simple.

Cons

Managing permissions can be somewhat tricky.

Industry: Events Services

Great software for restaurants!

Reviewed on 3/10/2018

Aloha is a great POS for restaurants, I think it can be used for restaurants of all sizes. We were able to manage a high volume with the software. I was really happy with it and would definitely use it again.

Pros

It was easy to use and setup all of the different variations for the restaurant food items. It was also easy to use from a management perspective, track per person average sales, etc.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind, it was a great software at the restaurant and easy to train employees on.

Tyler B.

Aloha Review

Reviewed on 2/11/2018

Pros

This is a very reliable POS system. They've been a mainstay forever. It remains easy to use on the server/bartender side.

Cons

The difficulty of this system is on the manager/owner side. Because this system is not cloud based, there is a big lack of functionality, especially not being able to view the daily restaurant performance while away from the location. In order to change items in the system, the entire system has to be re-booted, which is not ideal during service. Reporting is hard to use and requires a time commitment to get the reports you need. At times, it can be "clunky".

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Industry: Restaurants

A little outdated, but gets the job done

Reviewed on 23/09/2019

I have used Aloha for the past 10 years. Although the software serves it purpose well, I do feel like newer technology is coming out that has already surpassed Aloha.

Pros

The software is easy to learn and the interface is simple and straightforward.

Cons

The system seemed to need rebooting quite often in the middle of a shift which would be frustrating for our restaurants team members who needed to ring up items on the Aloha terminal.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Niklaus K.

Leader for a reason

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

The reporting and back-end functions are easy to learn compared to other programs. Servers love how simple it is to use and learn. It's the fastest for ordering food I've come across.

Pros

Visually appealing and powerful. Aloha makes ordering items easy and it's also the easiest POS, I've worked with, to modify items.

Cons

The ability to transfer checks between staff could be easier. Most places don't do that often, but others do.

Patience V.

Aloha for everyone

Reviewed on 5/11/2018

I would say it takes effort and time to learn. It’s great for a location that has a lot of items to place in the system. Not my favorite but manageable.

Pros

I like that this is a software that you can scale with. It’s durable and can be implemented if you have many locations.

Cons

If you have issues there is an aloha software man that will come out- you can’t troubleshoot yourself. Sometimes leaving you down a few computers.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Alexandra C.
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Hello Aloha!!

Reviewed on 1/05/2019

Pros

If you are in the resturant industry you need to use Aloha for your POS. It is easy to use, gives you the lay out of the resturant and is easy to add items or change information in the system. It does a great job keeping track of orders and tables.

Cons

It has shutdown before and caused panic, but if it's not as easy fix, someone is always out to fix the system super quick!

Kristen H.
Industry: Restaurants

You can’t go wrong with Aloha

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Easy from step 1. Training was simple and implementation was also easy.

Pros

Aloha is easygoing use. Aloha has above average customer service. The design is intuitive making it simple to figure out on your own.

Cons

The stock background colors were not great, however, they were easy to change and customize. Pricing is high

Ben A.

Aloha

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

I had a good experience with aloha. Very user friendly and easy to use.

Pros

Very user friendly, very easy to train new staff. Support is easy and generally quick to fix any problems that arise.

Cons

I really didn’t have any major issues with the software. Nothing to complain about. All problems were fixed quickly.

Karli T.

Bartending Software Experience

Reviewed on 21/07/2019

Great. Would highly recommend for any business because of how easy it was to navigate and teach to others.

Pros

Easy to use and to access various categories of drinks and food. This software was also easy to input information and specific discounts into for the bar.

Cons

Sometimes it was difficult to go back on the menu. The order might have had to be restarted if you were looking to return to a different page.