Vimeo

Video hosting, uploading, streaming, and sharing solution

4.6 /5 (559 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
4.3
4.5
4.5
4.3
David H.
Industry: Media Production

A core tool for our business

Reviewed on 17/04/2020

Delivers all our video for a large online magazine - in nearly every article. It's professional, easy to use and well-priced.

Pros

Great features at a great price - delivers video to our readers without ads...with almost unlimited capacity.

Cons

Can't think of anything...delivers all we want...could it deliver links in video like Wistia? Doesn't matter - price is so good.

Jenny M.
Industry: Internet

I've used Vimeo Pro as a video reviewing program while working in advertising and tech.

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 30/04/2018

Pros

What I like best about Vimeo Pro are the strong control / privacy features and the video review features. Being able to control password protection, link expirations and video downloadability add so much relief when sharing and reviewing sensitive video content. The content is so secure and early versions of videos that aren't final yet don't have to be downloaded by people that shouldn't be given access to download them. I've worked in advertising and tech and I'd much rather share early rounds of video content via Vimeo Pro vs. WeTransfer or another video sending / sharing program since I can protect against their ability to download the file and accidentally use it later or confuse it for a final. So, quality control and version control are made easier simply by having the program be protected, filterable and secured. Version control is made even clearer via video review pages where you can compare video versions and detail differences among videos and even add timestamped notes right within these videos to detail these said differences. For working in video production, Vimeo Pro is top notch and really helps streamline, clarify and consolidate videos in development.

Cons

This isn't necessarily something I dislike but just a truth to share after videos are final my teams and I have always moved our videos to YouTube and social media vs. hosting them on Vimeo since YouTube is more universally used. My teams have known you can link Vimeo videos to YouTube, etc. and even initiate paid advertising through the Vimeo portal but for videos on YouTube and other channels but that always seemed like too much work / not worth it when you can go handle business with YouTube directly.

While cheaper options are available - Vimeo is tops in ease and quality!

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

Pros

Vimeo's paid offerings make it easy to upload, share, and manage large video libraries at the highest quality. It's the de-facto standard for digital screener sharing in the independent film and television sector.

The admin and features are very easy to understand - and we've had no trouble training non-technical staff to set up even complicated videos with unusual combinations of security permissions.
They have robust support for privacy control, embedding, subtitling and other accessibility features.

As a major platform, most major encoders come pre-set with optimized profiles, and (in most cases) automatic upload functions available.

Cons

The paid offerings can sometimes be a difficult sell for very small companies/individuals as there are few services that Vimeo offers that can't be replicated by completely free alternatives (mostly via YouTube) - but the high quality and ad-free experience is often worth it.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Benjamin H.

A linchpin for my business

Reviewed on 14/05/2018

Pros

So many pros to list here. My favorite features are the reviews page. Giving a private link and allowing clients to make notes at specific times in the video has been hugely helpful. The ability to replace the video while maintaining the same URL is also amazing, and very helpful when managing videos linked to all kinds of sites. All the privacy options makes it easy to manage a huge portfolio. The albums feature makes it easy to organize large video lists into sections. Being able to allow downloads makes this the best platform for working with clients from start to finish. Can't praise Vimeo enough. Vimeo > Youtube

Cons

Occasionally, the upload will fail and replacing the video will not work, making it necessary to start over with a fresh link.

Arthur F.
Industry: Education Management

Vimeo pro

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

The presentations looked very good for the user and after a little back and forth the main function I was hoping for was worked out by the technical team at VIMEO. The platform is usually very stable though yesterday there were some technical hiccups with their server. The customer service got better after a couple weeks. I assume they had to ramp up with Covid. All in all it did the job. Next time I will use Adobe Spark as the navigation platform and ask less of Vimeo in that regard.

Pros

Uploads are fast and easy. Private links stay forever. Visual quality is good for the user. A lot of space for 800 bucks a year. The livestream studio was my initial reason for getting it and it seemed to work pretty well but I ended up forgoing it's use due to technical issues. Mostly on our end. Being able to directly upload H264 with very little degradation was an important issue for us as a film school.

Cons

Navigation for anything but straight up watching videos is difficult to understand. The extra functions in pro are less than stellar but I was able to make it work for our presentations. Most of the the embedded functions are not usable on the VIMEO user side and can only be applied to the admin side of the platform. I still don't understand some of it but I assume that the embedded functions are for sending your videos into other platforms. websites, etc. I just wanted to present on VIMEO so none of it worked for me.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

David G.
Industry: E-Learning

My highest recommended video tool

Reviewed on 3/10/2018

Stellar. Highly recommended. Essential is you need secure hosting for videos

Pros

Vimeo is a great video hosting platform for the cost. It has rich features inclusion very good embedding tools and stellar security. It provides good analytics on your video usage. All for a really good price.

Every uploaded video is split into multiple versions so your user will have the best option displayed based on their device (why download a 1920x1080 video on a phone?).

And it is intuitive. I unleashed this to a product development team at a software company and inside of 6 months they added over 500 videos to train customers and embed in our help system and training portal.

Cons

The one thing that vimeo doesn't have that YouTube does is auto generating CC.

Industry: Civil Engineering

You get what you pay for ..!!!

Reviewed on 25/08/2019

When it comes to the overall experience, the superior quality of the end product and the features beats the processing time. Hence I strongly recommend it for those who looking for a real superior quality of the video streams regardless of money and time.

Pros

Vimeo is decent platform for us to play high quality video without and any commercial ads in all the time. Also it offer large video library with the high quality. Vimeo videos can simply embed into social media is an another advantage. It's very user-friendly and good value for the money as well. We can talk lot about Vimeo as it has plenty of features and functions.

Cons

The major drawback is the processing time, as we are paying for it we would except to do the job in less time consuming and also the time is the major constraint for me. Hence in that aspect Vimeo is failed to fit into the market.

Marcos G.

A great way to present, review and share work in progress or final with the world

Reviewed on 3/07/2018

Pros

We have used the paid version of Vimeo to store and display many of our works and educational pieces. Being Vimeo one of the giants for online videos, we feel calm about the security and operation of the platform. The display options with passwords or geolocation are great. Additionally, we can define exactly who and how we want to share the videos. It's great, easy and safe!

Cons

It is not necessarily a negative thing, but it is the reason why we do not continue using the service. For large companies it may not be a problem or a representative expense to pay monthly for this service. For smaller companies (like ours) a free (or cheaper) option that basically offers the same options may be more appropriate. Of course, it will not have as much style and cache as Vimeo, but it will work ...

Ed P.

Great for embedded videos

Reviewed on 23/06/2020

Vimeo works very smoothly, and i depend on it weekly to make instructional videos for my website with good control over privacy, simplicity, and can charge for use of materials

Pros

It allows me to embed videos rather than use up server storage, easy uploading, no problem limiting views to a private page for paid users, great settings allow for customized presentation, selection of thumbnail. I can quickly get the embed code and put the video placeholder on my site so viewers can see it as soon as Vimeo finishes processing. Reasonable annual cost for Pro version.

Cons

For what it does, i have no complaints. They have an alternative upload option that's faster but does not show upload progress, which would be a dealbreaker but they kept the other option going so i can see how much is uploaded and pause it in need be

Armando R.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Professional video hosting made easy

Reviewed on 7/08/2019

Having a website with weekly videos can rapidly consume my server resources. So we needed a real video hosting platform that would be fast and straight forward to manage. We have that with Vimeo Pro.

Pros

For what it offers, Vimeo pro is really affordable. The ability to customize the player and embed settings are what i like the most.

Cons

I really like Vimeo, so i can't think of any con.

Tanner S.

More Control Than YouTube

Reviewed on 22/09/2019

I have used it for year for me and my clients and I love it. Unlike Youtube, you van control the "End Screen" on each video and make it blank or customize it.

Pros

The best part about this is you get way more control over how your video is displayed when embedding it on a page. You can cut out all the junk around the video like the play bar and tite and place a clean looking video on a page on your site or landing page.

Cons

Some on-site editing options would be nice.

Jacob B.
Industry: Telecommunications

Customizable and Amazing Features

Reviewed on 19/11/2020

Amazing analytics that are much easy to utilize than YouTube, and much more customizable than YouTube.

Pros

So many great features, like being able to customize colors and what is seen on the video bar. Analytics are great, and the whole system is user friendly.

Cons

Sometimes there are issues uploading and the video doesn't upload, you just get an error message, but no exact reason why the video failed.

David C.

Vimeo Pro is for Professionals

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 3/12/2019

We began using Vimeo for all of our digital video delivery. At first, many clients were concerned about their business and promotional videos being on YouTube. Now, we prefer Vimeo as a professional and easy to use way to deliver content to our clients without the marketing machine of Google in control of the content.

Pros

Vimeo Pro allows us much more storage than we had with the lower version, a feature we needed. Also, the Vimeo Pro live streaming is easier to use than ANY other service we have used. We usually do mulitcamera productions when we stream live, so we are coming out of a switcher. Vimeo handles the streams with no problems.

Cons

Vimeo Pro is costly. Whereas we pay a good amount of money for various softwares, Vimeo Pro is one that we debated whether it was worth it. So far, so good.

Dave F.
Industry: E-Learning

Great service and price but there is a learning curve

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 8/01/2019

Was publishing on demand videos and short series. I eventually wanted to use some of the more advanced features not offered in the free usage. It was good to be able to scale up and grow into the features as I needed them, as things grew for me.

Pros

I started off using Vimeo on their free level, as I was developing my video series and audience. After about six months I decided I was ready to upgrade to their pay service for the extra features they had. The features are there, the speed is there, the quality is good. I enjoy their robust features that I knew I would eventually grow into needing and using, which over the past few months I have. Plus, Vimeo has a good reputation and its name alone lends a good deal of credibility - which I think is well deserved. Well worth the money. (Their pricing is fair and upfront.)

Cons

I found the learning curve somewhat a challenge to find and implement the features thats I needed. I think they assume a bit too much of the end user of how their system works. Some features seem a bit out of place and took some clicking around to find. My focus is on making videos and publishing them, some of the technical back end features were difficult to find. A lot of hunting around to find a specific setting or feature. It's not as straight forward as I thought it would be - but this can be a down side to an otherwise feature-rich and robust software package.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Brian G.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Vimeo = Quality

Reviewed on 2/03/2020

We love Vimeo and have been very pleased with our Vimeo Plus account for probably 7+ years now.

Pros

I love the Quality that Vimeo offers. It is such a cleaner look than YouTube. We use Vimeo to embed all of our videos into our website. I love the features where you can choose exactly what your embed looks like. Vimeo is incredibly powerful and we love the fact that people can also download the video directly from Vimeo.

Cons

I wish that the organization of files was a little more drag and drop. Sometimes I have uploaded videos out of order and wanted to reorganize them and haven't been able to, so Ive had to delete them and re-upload them in the order I wanted them.

Industry: Religious Institutions

Vimeo Works Great

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

Overall, we are very happy with our Pro Vimeo membership. The features and ability to brand the channel and videos is very helpful

Pros

I like that Vimeo seamlessly provides a way for us to not only host our videos but manage them as well.

Cons

The search feature is not very easy to use so it is sometimes seems impossible to locate a video by search.

Larissa P.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

I love the Vimeo platform

Reviewed on 26/07/2020

Vimeo is a virtual space with freedom to express itself in all ways. Practical and super versatile, I recommend

Pros

The app has excellent image and sound quality, besides being very functional, it offers a very important tool to download videos to watch offline.

Cons

The App is great, but it could have the functionality to overlay other mobile applications, it would be very interesting, could have the option to speed up the video.

Tanya A.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Great product, customer service was a bit slow.

Reviewed on 26/05/2020

Overall Vimeo works well for our organization. Allows us to organize videos with ease and has helped improve our communications.

Pros

Vimeo has improved the quality of our online service and allowed us to increase our communication by video. Integrates well with social media platforms, especially Facebook. The analytics have been helpful and informed the way we create videos.

Cons

The software has been a great tool. The customer service was slow. We needed to adjust our subscription and it took a few weeks to get a response, not a deal breaker, but I would have liked a more prompt response.

Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Their platform does it all

Reviewed on 16/01/2020

There are lots of options and services all for a fair price. They keep adding for features like video review and commenting for editors.

Pros

I love how many things their platform does! You can post, manage, distribute, and analyze videos. You can also sell your videos as VOD or part of their OTT subscription service. Lastly they also offer live streaming on top of all of that!

Cons

Their analytics doesn't work well for VOD videos. Also their Livestreaming platform has some confusing configurations. I came from Livestream and some of their settings changed when they were merged with Vimeo.

Angela W.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Love Vimeo

Reviewed on 20/03/2019

Pros

I have been using Vimeo for years to upload my online course videos. It's so easy to use and I love the quality of the videos. It doesn't look tacky when you embed a video on a course page or website (like YouTube does IMO). I think it offers a much more professional look and feel which I think is important when you are selling a course or product.

Cons

I don't have much that I don't like. I did realize I was overpaying for my plan and was able to downgrade and keep the same amount of videos. So just be careful and make sure you aren't purchasing a plan you really won't need.

Amber L.

Great, safe, and easy way to store videos

Reviewed on 4/05/2018

Pros

I really like that Vimeo enables you with a ton of options when uploading a video and choosing to share a video. If you only want one person to be able to view something for a week, and then a separate person to be able to view that same video for a month, you can allow that.
Other highlights include the ease of downloading videos.

Cons

This is not a true con but just an observation: I think of Vimeo as a more professional version of YouTube, and while I prefer YouTube for personal life, I always use Vimeo for work/school. You could get by with probably just using Vimeo's free version as well as YouTube as well.

Alicia A.
Industry: Computer Software

Our go to solution for Video embedding

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 29/04/2019

What we did was embed Vimeo players for a tutorial on a website. The users could either see the whole tutorial video or navigate to a specific part of the tutorial they'd like to watch or rewatch.

Pros

What we best like of Vimeo is their personalization capabilities, as you can change it to better align with your own website's design. Colors, end screens, logo and playback speeds are configurable.

It's also a collaborative tool as you can have stickers or reviews.

Also, it has great privacy settings, for example, you can determine a specific domain name where it can be played and also password protect it.

Cons

I dislike that between Pro and Business there's a wide pricing gap whereas the added value might be perceived as less.

Great Premium Video Hosting Solution

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Overall Vimeo Pro is option and I plan to use them in the future as my business and content base grows.

Pros

What I like most about Vimeo Pro are the advanced features and customizability it offers. Specifically the ability to password protect content was helpful for me in providing exclusive content for my membership site members.

Cons

What I like least about Vimeo Pro is how they do not offer an ad supported version of the player. If that was an option rather than a monthly fee it is something I would explore and it would likely help onboard more new users and customers.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

it`s best program with quality video

Reviewed on 13/04/2019

Recently, I increasingly find myself thinking that I’ve started to watch more videos on this site. Unlike YouTube, there are few junk and low-quality videos. A lot of very talented authors post their videos here - it gives me more pleasure

Pros

a lot of quality videos which can be viewed, is very easy to use

Cons

you can not watch embedded videos on various sites from the iPad

Industry: Design

Best site to show your work

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 9/07/2020

I have a positive experience with VIMEO, but this is due to being an old user. Nowadays new websites have emerged that have become easier to use.

Pros

I really like VIMEO because it is a great place to show my work and see the work of other users. It is possible to create your own profile to advertise to your customers and they can see your skills easily and quickly. You can also take classes, work on team projects and watch independent movies.

Cons

the only negative aspects of the site is that it becomes confused in the midst of a large number of content. The search always presents problems on the second page and I end up giving up.