Automox

Cloud-based platform for patch management

4.7 /5 (44 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.9
4.5
4.8
4.8
Corey D.

Possibilities are endless - Not just an update platform

Reviewed on 29/05/2019

It's been a delight working with the software and the Automox team themselves. They're a great bunch that truly understands the needs of their customers.

Solid A+

Pros

Windows Updates were our only priority when finding a solution, but once I realized the potential of what they had on their roadmap... I was hooked. Windows Updates/Software Patch Management/Custom policies/Reporting/Live dashboard.... It is a hefty tool that I plan to take advantage of as long as possible.

They're always improving and adding features, and they take customer feedback very seriously. I've seen features fixed/updated or even features I've suggested on their roadmap within a week of discussing.

Cons

Originally, dashboard performance was hit/miss. It has improved a lot since then, and they're still working on further improving performance.

Response from Automox

Thank you so much for the feedback, Corey! We appreciate the grade on our work and are excited to hear your experience has been excellent! We are constantly improving performance and are glad to see you noticed as well as the features we add. We're excited for the future and to work more with happy users like yourself.

John K.

Great patching solution

Reviewed on 17/05/2019

Automox has been great in terms of support, billing, new features, etc.

Pros

It is web-based and easy to use. Login, review or kick-off a patching cycle and that's that!

Cons

Hmmm, that is a tough one. I think all patching software has problems getting all of the patching done so there still is some manual intervention, but a small percentage.

Response from Automox

Thanks for the great review, John!

Danny R.

Awesome product

Reviewed on 26/07/2019

Automox is the first patch management software I've used that I can trust to get the job done without babysitting. That said I did take 4 months of babysitting to prove to myself that I can finally relax, a little, and not worry about the job getting done.

Pros

Fast, Reliable, easy to configure and very easy to use.

Cons

The only issue I've seen so far, not really a problem just an annoyance, is when you sort by "Group Membership" it sorts the pages separately instead of truly sorting by the column. Like I said, just annoying.

Response from Automox

Hi Danny! Thank you for your awesome feedback. We hear on you on your frustrations with around group membership sorting have it on our roadmap to solve! Glad to hear you like our product and it's very easy to use!

Gary D.

Timely patching, and save time!

Reviewed on 20/05/2019

Pros

It reduces the amount of manual work I have to do on users machines to ensure they are patched and up to date. I can easily identify when critical patches come in and inform users what's happening, creating that great user experience.

Cons

The notifications have been slightly problematic for us as users do not know what is updating (on the basic patching licence). Office has sometimes just shut down in the middle of a user doing work. This could be addressed in the full version by creating custom policies for certain high-touch products/software packages.

Reboot notifications could do with being more obvious to the user, who is highly likely to simply click it and not pay attention, though this is not direct failing on Automox's part. A small change in wording may help change the impact ("Install now" vs "Install and reboot")

Response from Automox

Great feedback, Gary! Thank you! We're happy we could save you time and keep your machines patched and up to date. As for your thoughts on the notifications, we agree and appreciate your input here. We have notifications on our roadmap and look forward to hearing more from users like yourself down the road.

Josh W.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Automox is the perfect tool for our patching & inventory needs!

Reviewed on 25/01/2018

Security for our PCs, Macs, and Windows-based servers.

Our accounting department likes that I can pull up specific information about users & computers.

Pros

Ease of use & outstanding graphics for representing the data - those are the 2 things that stand out the most.

This software gives us peace of mind knowing that our remote company-owned devices are being patched. The developers are doing a great job of keeping up with the latest security threats. I love having current threat info easily accessible within the Automox dashboard.

Their tech support is excellent.

Cons

I would like to see more attention given to the 3rd party software deployment policy so the steps involved in creating the policy make the deployment even easier. More compatibility and guidance.

Isaac P.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Overall it's a great software patching software

Reviewed on 17/05/2019

Pros

Easy to navigate and use. Also has the ability to provide easy to read reports to present to higher ups to show them that patching your software is important and Automox was worth the purchase.

Cons

It lacks logging capabilities right now. For example if someones machine fails to update, or reboots when it should not have, there's not really a good log view in Automox to identify the root cause of the issue.

Response from Automox

Isaac, well stated and thank you for your review! We love the idea of logging and root cause self service for our users. It's on our roadmap!

Great piece of software

Reviewed on 29/05/2019

Overall, the product has been really easy to use and the support team has been great as well.

Pros

Really easy to use, its a great alternative to Active Directory with a bunch of group policies for smaller organizations.

Also useful on servers, to have a central view of updates and how critical they are.

Cons

Some of the documentation was a bit lacking, especially around custom policies to install specific software packages.

Response from Automox

Thank you for the feedback! We're happy to hear your experience with our product and support team have been great. We agree that documentation could be improved and are actively working on it!

Fast and straightforward

Reviewed on 18/05/2019

Pros

Very straightforward to setup and you can be up and running very quickly.
Windows and Mac supported.
Custom patching, so you can keep virtually any software up to date.

Cons

Custom patching is a little tricky but the examples given are pretty good.
The format of the reports is a bit naff. Could really do with making clearer and a bit more attractive. Would be good to be able to select multiple teams the include in a single report too.

Response from Automox

Thanks for the input around reporting, we agree it could use some energy and we have it on our roadmap!

• Used Other for Free Trial

Did not work correctly.

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Could not get this to work effectively even on just two windows servers, contacted support and got an initial response but nothing more.

Looks nice and would be a good solution if it worked, it just seems unfinished and flaky.

I suspect you need to enable a firewall rule for 3rd party updates to work ( suspect the same for Linux) .

Pros

Looks nice, works fine with Linux ( as long as firewall is set up)
fairly simple setup.

Cons

Did not pick up that our 2008 test machine had not patched in 2 years.
Did not show all the "Supported" 3rd party software.
No Logs.
Did not have any info on updates not applying.
Policies did not seem to apply correctly.
Still requires WSUS( or risk using online windows updates which kill bandwidth)
No Linux Onsite Cache

Mike M.

Automox

Reviewed on 3/05/2020

Outstanding. Product has done exactly what is advertised (patch management) at a fair price. Support has also been great for the few times I had needed to reach out. They stayed on top of the ticket until it was resolved.

Pros

As a very small department with hundreds of computers with various software packages installed, I needed a way to top-down see the patch cadence. Automox was quick to deploy and quick to start getting results that I could take action on.

Cons

The core patch anagement features are great, but since there's an agent there may be some additional capability that could be added: Send message to user, shutdown computer, uninstall software, etc.

Response from Automox

Thanks for the review Mike! We do actually have the ability to do the things you listed in the Cons section using the Worklets feature. Check out the Worklets category on our community where we have Worklets to send messages, shut down computers and remove unwanted software. If you need help getting a Worklet written to accomplish a task, please reach out to us and we're happy to help.

Courtney K.
  • Industry: Government Relations

Tickets will go unanswered

Reviewed on 11/01/2021

The tool was great at first but when we tried to patch devices we kept having errors. The help desk takes weeks to respond and they can't seem to get issues resolved. There's too much back and forth and issues not getting fixed.

Pros

The dashboard is nice and allows a user to see what devices need to be patched.

Cons

The Help desk is hard to get in touch with. The help desk takes a long time to respond to issues. They need to manage a better help desk. Tickets go unresolved for weeks or months and devices can't be patched.

Manoj M.
  • Industry: Information Services

Simple software that continues to get better

Reviewed on 23/09/2018

The software is simple and rollout is seamless, the console ensures we know whats going on for updates on our inhouse and cloud servers, this relieves a lot of manual work which we used to do on the boxs to keep them upto speed with windows updates.

Pros

Constant upgrades, good service and clear communication.

Cons

Lack of formal inventory planning, they are getting there but I dont think its a priority yet, however at the print point automox is a great value.

George T.

Great product. Easy to use and deploy. Phenomenal Customer Service.

Reviewed on 25/01/2018

Automated patch management for my end-users. Peace of mind for my team and I knowing that we do not need to manual patch systems.

Pros

Organization deployment is quick and painless. Current UI is lightyears ahead of the previous version which makes navigation easy and logical.

Cons

Small UI quirks here and there. Scheduling is not as exact as I would like. All of which is on their road map.

Jeff T.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Automox Rocks!

Reviewed on 17/05/2019

Pros

Like everything...easy to use, deploy and budget friendly. GREAT customer service!

Cons

Nothing so far :) I've enjoyed using it and hove referred others who were looking for a solid patching solution.

Response from Automox

Thanks for the referrals, Jeff! We're always glad to hear your experience with our Support team is excellent.

Michael B.

Great cloud based Patch Management solution for local and remote user devices.

Reviewed on 6/03/2018

Pros

I run an IT department that has multiple US and International locations, patch and update management is always a chore across multiple OS platforms.
AutoMox solves this issue for us and gives us great reporting for security, compliance and support needs.

AutoMox has also helped us greatly with new MAC OS X deployments and software compatibility issues that require updates.

Ease of use. Very easy to get up and running in minutes.

I am very grateful for the stability and lack of bugs within the system.

Cons

Lack of SSO, SAML and MFA adoption. With this application having the ability to touch all systems from your company that are added, a better security model for account access is required. A login password only does not cut it these days.

3rd party software list needs growth.

Norman D.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Automox WSUS

Reviewed on 23/05/2019

Ease of use , reporting on the spot patch updates and management

Pros

This software really automates a function that can be very task oriented.

Cons

Automox not only automates Microsoft patches but other software and helps keep a very good track of my inventory

Response from Automox

Thank you, Norman. We are happy to hear your experience is going very well!

David K.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Could be waaaaay better

Reviewed on 8/06/2019

Pros

It's easy to setup. Relatively affordable to other options. The UI is great! But that might be it's downfall as well..

Cons

I wish there was an ability to get more optional info on the Dashboard. The ability to do mass actions is very hidden and not straight forward. Also, I dislike that fact that I have to create a policy to make mass computers perform an action. There is no "select and execute" feature.

Response from Automox

Thank you for the feedback, David!

Yash S.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Awesome tool!!!

Reviewed on 19/06/2019

Pros

Just one click and patching for updates is done.

Cons

so far so good and nothing to dislike about it.

Response from Automox

Thank you for your feedback, Yash! It's great to hear your experience is going very well!

Nathan K.
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Finally a software deployment tool that just works

Reviewed on 18/10/2019

We had a very successful POC which showed how much time we would be saving using their platform.
Automox can automatically deploy patches endpoints need for OS or third-party applications.

I'm also very excited about the features they will be adding to their platform.

Pros

I love how responsive the product is for being agent-based.

Multi-platform support makes it easy to use one product for your patching and software deployment needs.

Automatic scanning which uncovers which patches are needed for installed applications/OS.

Their live dashboard makes it easy to determine the level of compliance.
Their built-in live chat makes it easy to connect with Support to resolve issues.

Cons

Their current reporting makes for troubleshooting deployment issues difficult sometimes but their support is top-notch and I've been told this is being addressed as is on their roadmap.

Response from Automox

Thanks for the great review, Nathan! We're glad to hear you're having a great experience with Automox. Reporting updates are absolutely on the roadmap. Stay tuned for exciting reporting updates coming soon!

• Industry: Higher Education

Game Changer!

Reviewed on 17/05/2019

I found Automox at a conference and purchased about two weeks later. The team has been great to work with and stayed in touch, unlike so many others that disappear into the night after the PO is signed.

Pros

It took me nearly 20 years in I.T. to finally find a patch/update solution that I liked and that actually worked. In most simple terms...Automox just works! Setting up Automox itself was trivial. Installing the client is one of the easiest clients. After that...check in periodically, approve patches, and rest easy...because for once you know your systems are actually patched. Plus you have reporting for management without any extra effort.

Cons

It needs to grow more. Right now it still doesn't support 100% of our software, including some heavily used well-know titles. Support for other software needs to grow by at least 10x if it's going to have a chance to succeed. The software deployment piece also has some kinks to work out.

Response from Automox

That's for the great feedback! We agree that supported software needs improvement and are actively working on it! If you're open to it, please send our Support team ([email protected]) the software titles you would like to see as it can help us prioritize our list.

Brendan O.
  • Industry: Insurance

Trifecta - Mac, Windows, Linux management

Reviewed on 20/05/2019

Even though it is new, I am impressed. Any new start up would be crazy not to give this tool a look. Any IT shop that is cross-platform should give them a try too.

Pros

The requirements of my management tool were hard to fill: support the 3 major OS client flavors, be run as an SaaS offering, and it must not depend on Active Directory. I was surprised to find all 3 requirements were near impossible to find, heck even 1 of the 3 was a challenge, 2 seemed impossible. Then I stumbled on Automox - all 3 boxes checked. The test drive was simple - and powerful. The tool is fast too! Once a client is installed it is mere moments until a complete hardware/software inventory is reported in the console, and policies are ready to be deployed. Need software to go out to a Macbook, Windows laptop, and Linux rig? It can do all three.

Cons

The solution is new - and still working on features. It isn't buggy as you might expect, but it lacks great reporting, and a few features I would love to see. However they do respond to requests, and they do share their roadmap with customers. So I know some of the drawbacks are already on the way to improvement.

Response from Automox

Thank you for the feedback, Brendan! We're excited for the future of reporting among other areas we're focusing our efforts this year.

Tina B.
  • Industry: Banking

Program updating made easy!

Reviewed on 22/05/2019

The interaction is the Automox customer service is great; any question I have had has been answered quickly and concisely.

Pros

The Automox program has made my life so much easier. The installation and set up process is extremely easy; once you add your servers and workstations, set up groups and assign the IP addresses to the group, you are finished. The reporting is easy and clear and the notification process is as easy as checking a box and reading the email!

Cons

I have not found any cons. My experience with Automox has been wonderful.

Response from Automox

Thank you so much for the great review, Tina!

Ken S.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Made my Job much easier

Reviewed on 11/09/2019

I was using an old Windows Update Server (WSUS) which in itself was a pain, but that only updates windows. Automox updates windows plus all of my other software that I have installed.

Pros

Easy to use, visibility of the end points status, my auditors loved it

Cons

Nothing really, it is as advertised. It made my job much easier

Response from Automox

Fantastic, Ken! It's great to hear that you're job is easier from using Automox. Thanks for the great review!

Greg C.

We've been running Automox for a year and have had a great experience.

Reviewed on 13/09/2017

We were able to do away with our wsus server and need for a vpn connection.

Pros

We are a completely cloud based operation so the ability to manage our asset updates via the cloud is amazing.

Cons

Over the past year, we've had lots of issues with the site loading slowly as well as the reporting function needs some work.

Manuel H.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Great tool for Patch Management

Reviewed on 10/06/2019

I have been looking for a tool to help with patch management and Automox by far is the easiest to implement. We have a small IT staff and having Automox in our toolbox boosts our productivity. Thank you Automox!

Pros

Easy setup, UI is a no brainer, lots of effective tools for patch management.

Cons

It did not cover the smaller apps like Foxit, Winzip, etc.

Response from Automox

Thank you for your feedback, Manuel! We're glad your onboarding experience was easy and the UI creates a simple path for you to patch your devices. Regarding the smaller apps, stay tuned! We have something coming this summer for 3rd party application support.