Scout

Dog walking and pet sitting solution

4.9 /5 (77 reviews) Write a Review!

Sandra S.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Awesome App, FANTASTIC customer service

Reviewed on 20/01/2021

Overall, I love the app!

Pros

I absolutely love this app! It makes it so easy for my clients to request services, to charge my clients, and to get paid! They are always adding new features to the app as well, most recently they added the option to customize the app to have your business logo instead of Scout's, so cool! another great thing about this app is that the people behind the scenes are invested and their work and their customers! They are always very responsive when I have an issue and really go above and beyond to help in whatever way they can! Another one of the awesome features they offer is a plug in so you can have a contact form on your website that will filter leads directly into the scout website and I was having trouble installing the plugin so [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] did it for me! Thanks [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]!

Cons

I did take off one star for functionality, I wish I could have just been a half a star because it's not the biggest deal but sometimes when I go to check in a dog for a service and take the picture the app restarts and doesn't check in the dog and I have to wait for the app to restart reopen the client and then take the picture again and of course it always happens when the first picture was awesome! it's happened in the past and I told them and they definitely made it better, it doesn't happen every time but it still happens every now and then.

Camille N.

Needs some tweaking...

Reviewed on 27/05/2019

Won't be renewing if the annual fee & Braintree fees remain as high as they are.

Pros

I appreciate the simplicity and clean interface. As well as the ease of billing and converting leads to clients.

Cons

Where to start... As a small business owner I feel the cost of the app combined with the Braintree fees is pushing me to not renew. I also am frustrated that I do not get direct alerts to my iPhone when new appointment requests come through. Instead it goes to email. As a busy dog walker I often don't check my email until the evening & early morning. This has lead to missing those last minute pet sitting requests. Lastly, I don't like how there are certain functions as a business owner I can't do. Instead I have to contact support. For example, deleting clients that have dropped off.

Response from PetMethod

Thank you for your feedback, Camille. I wanted to take a moment to address some of your concerns:

Pricing
Our pricing is very much in the middle of the pack. We aren't the cheapest, but we aren't the most expensive either and we believe for all of the tools that you get, it's a great value. With our annual fee, you're saving 17% over regular pricing which is cheaper than 90% of the competing softwares on the market.

Credit Card Fees
Credit card fees are currently not something we control. If you look at competing softwares, they generally all offer the same rates and that's because it's dictated by the payment processing companies. 2.9% + .30 is a standard across the industry. We are working with Braintree to negotiate lower rates in bulk, but it's not something that they budge on easily.

Other Functions
We can definitely always improve and will continue to do so. For alerts direct to your phone, the vast majority of customers take advantage of our email alerts.

Thank you!

Tasha T.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

The best decision for my business!

Reviewed on 27/02/2021

Scout was, without a doubt, the best decision I could have made when growing my business from pen and paper scheduling to a software platform. Customer support could not have been better and the transition to their platform was basically seamless. I would recommend them again and again.

Pros

Flexibility to customize services and pricing structure to fit my unique business model.

Cons

I can’t really say I disliked anything! Having joined early in this software’s existence there were some features that I had to wait to get until they were released but really, no complaints!

Wanye S.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Makes you look more professional!

Reviewed on 11/11/2020

It’s been excellent

Pros

I’ve had scout for my business since August 2020 and I’m still learning new thing about the software. It’s made me and my business look more professional and clients love it.

Cons

That we have to pay to use the online payment process but it is okay.

Kasey H.

Review of Scout

Reviewed on 23/06/2020

Pros

I really like the email feature of Scout. I like how I can send certain emails to all my clients at the same time, or to certain ones as needed. The emails sent from Scout to my clients look very professional with my company colors and logo. I also love how you upload your service agreement and Scout keeps track of who signed / agreed and when. Unlike other pet service apps Scout allows you to write notes for the owner throughout the service rather than only after the service has been completed, and we can upload multiple photos for the owner to view. I find the "file vault" feature of Scout to be extremely helpful by keeping important documents organized, and it is easy to upload documents into each client's profile. Customer service has always been quick to respond and eager to help or answer any questions.

Cons

There are a few features from Scout that I would like to see improve. It would be extremely helpful if there was a scout admin app so that we could approve / alter walks via an app rather than a link through safari. It would also be helpful to get push notifications on our phone for appointment requests in addition to receiving an email. I've also had trouble with the billing process. As the administrator I would like to see exactly what my client is going to be billed as soon as the service is scheduled. I would like to be able to bill them before the service is over because as a pet sitter I require 50% payment ahead of time for certain services. At a meet and greet a client also tried to input their payment information and kept getting an error message. I had to allow for an alternate payment method just so the client could sign into Scout and I could show them how to schedule an appointment, etc. One last suggestion would be to have a website that allows clients to make appoints because several older clients prefer to use a computer rather than a smart phone. As of right now those without smart phones have to contact the administrator via phone or email and the administrator has to go into Scout and create the appointment for the client.

Hector C.

Best pet sitting software

Reviewed on 2/04/2020

Overall this software helps pet businesses to keep track of their team and their calendars. Their timer on their app and push notifications are life savers for teams and communication.

Pros

The ability to schedule your team out for future visits and having an application where they can view their upcoming visits is extremely helpful.

Cons

The GPS tracking was off on some visits which would alarm clients. However that is something that is a variable that is beyond their scope.

Shady A.
  • Industry: Hospitality

A dog walkers best friend

Reviewed on 19/02/2019

I was having a hard time collecting payments before using Scout, and the report clients get are clean and easy to fill out. Even my older clients that are not tech savvy know how to use the app easily.

Pros

The customer service is simply amazing they are fast to respond to any and all questions or concerns. This software helps keep my clients happy and informed on how their pups did on the services they requested. Easy to use for both clients and employees for booking and to run payroll

Cons

Not being able to use the app to approve requests and to make changes on services. even though I can use my mobile device browser to do all those things that's the one downfall so nothing major.

Response from PetMethod

Thank you, Shady! We really appreciate the kind words.

Raymond H.

Great support

Reviewed on 1/01/2020

I can't complain so far. the things I like least aren't deal breakers...just things that I see could get better in the future as the folks there get more input from real people and experiences.

Pros

I love the Scout app for it's ease of use on the client end. My customers love it and I do as well when it comes to knowing my schedule and all that fun stuff. Also Scout is very quick at getting back to me with questions and concerns.

Cons

I have spoken to folks at Scout about making version of the app for the administrator. Being a one man operation at the moment doesn't have me with a lap top all the time to take care of things like approving schedules and what not. I'd love to be able to use the app for working on my billing summaries or changing schedules while I'm out and about.

Sarah J.

Scout is PAWesome!

Reviewed on 13/11/2020

The software itself worked great not only for me, but for my clients too - I heard nothing but good things from them! When I had questions for the Scout team, I would always get a speedy and friendly response. Appreciated the emails keeping me in the loop the few times there was technical issues.

Pros

Easy to use, professional looking, had everything I needed (and more!) to help me run my business effectively.

Cons

If anything, maybe some more customizable options.

Savannah K.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Perfect for our small business

Reviewed on 7/10/2019

Pros

Ease of use! It was simple to set up (took less than an hour). Clients love the ability to track and book their appointments. Being able to use my existing invoicing software

Cons

Clients can’t download pictures from the app but can from their email. Can’t edit an appointment from the professional app

Grant G.

Great features and has made scheduling, billing and payroll much easier

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

Pros

Really smart, innovative and comprehensive features. The interface is intuitive and attractive. Scout makes scheduling easy and significantly cuts down the amount of time I need for billing, payroll, and texting/emailing with clients. Scout's customer service is very responsive and helpful. Best dog-walking business app I've seen out there.

Cons

Having a dynamic percentage-based payrate for staff, that adjusts based on special discounts and the like, would be great. Scrolling features within the app for staff can be wonky at times if you are prone to writing long notes, like myself.

Response from PetMethod

Thanks for the feedback, Grant! Much appreciated!

Donald T.

Wonderful solution

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

Pros

It meets all your needs and more, and the team is always making upgrades which is really great.

Cons

It would be great if Scout could be mobile friendly for business owners. But this is the only con, and it isn't really a big deal.

Kara D.
  • Industry: Veterinary

It's an overall AWESONE app; but the glitches get in the way of being able to use it often.

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

It is great for the employee organization within the company!

Pros

The actual automation/customer portal for everything! I really love being able to have clients be involved in scheduling

Cons

I dislike that the business owner doesn't have too much control over invoicing (opening invoices for clients, no ability to prepay via app, maintain customer balances, etc). I feel like the app is running my company, not the other way around.

My staff dislikes the glitches, inability to log out, etc

Response from PetMethod

Thanks for the feedback, Kara. We really appreciate it!

Christin G.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great for my small business

Reviewed on 26/12/2019

It’s been very helpful in my startup pet care company, my clients seem happy and have enjoyed the freedom to book via an app.

Pros

It’s very easy to use and fairly easy to setup.

Cons

Setting up the payments with Braintree..

Tyler K.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Amazing app for dog walkers!

Reviewed on 26/02/2020

Amazing customer service, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has done an amazing job developing this software.

Pros

This app is a must for dog walkers. It gives you and your clients the ability to book appointments, manage staff, automatic invoicing and billing as well as payment collection.

Cons

Absolutely nothing. This app is a must have.

Marlena D.
  • Industry: Veterinary

Thank you Scout!

Reviewed on 6/04/2021

Great! Great customers service too.

Pros

I like user friendly module for myself and clients

Cons

To be able to use via desktop computer not only mobile device

Leigh C.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Excellent app

Reviewed on 25/10/2020

I wouldn’t be without it

Pros

I love the ease of booking appointments and my clients also love the app and how easy it is to add pets and book appointments

Cons

I would like an option to turn off photo check in the dogs aren’t always easy subjects to photograph

Mike C.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

An absolute necessity for pet sitters... and pet owners.

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

I added "pet owners" to the title of this review because I believe it.... If you are in this business and not offering your customers the "peace-of-mind" that pet owners need, you are doing them a disservice.

The Scout app has become our No. 1 selling point to new customers. It is also the reason we retain business. A text and blurry photo just won't cut it anymore.

Every time we walk a dog for the first time, the client emails or calls to say, "This is amazing!" They love the notes, GPS and photos.... I exploit the Scout app on our website and in all of our materials... Aside from love and genuine care, Scout is the greatest benefit you can offer your clients and their pets.

From a customer service standpoint, executives are amazing. They care about their customers, always looking for input and respond to any issues in minutes -- and they truly care about the success of my business.... Honestly, bring the Scout platform to my business was the single best decision I have made to date.

Pros

Aside from the ease-of-use, billing/payment features, and customization, the Scout app has kept us organized and efficient.

It maintains a level of accountability for the walkers that could not be achieved without it.

Cons

I struggle to find anything that I would like to see improved. If something comes up, they are quick with a solution.

Myles M.
  • Industry: Accounting

Scout Review

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

I’m able to manage all my business reports. Everything I need for my small business is conveniently ready for me at scout. Weather it’s revenue, payroll reports, income, future income, etc, a nice spreadsheet is a click away.

Pros

I felt good about my purchase. Their was no form of suspicion or sketchiness about this software. I also did not feel intimidated by the user interface. And I knew if I ran into trouble or had a problem, the creators were a button away from helping me out. Absolutely amazing.

Cons

This is my first time using dog Walker software. So I cannot compare Scout to another software and judge it. So my only con I could possibly come up with is the price, it’s a little expensive per Employee, but it is definitely 100% worth it.

Corinne A.

I love using Scout

Reviewed on 14/04/2017

My name is Corinne and I'm a manager at Walk it Like a Dog in Philly.

Before Scout, I used another pet-sitting website where I spent a lot time managing the schedule and trying to keep up communication with staff and customers. Since switching over to Scout, I save a lot of time, which means I get to do what I love: playing with dogs and cats! Here's a few ways Scout helps me do that:

Drag and drop in the scheduler makes it easier to change the time of an appointment and the walker assigned to it. I love being able to compare my staff's schedules side-by-side in a visually appealing, easy-to-understand interface. All the appointments are clearly color coded by the different filters you can choose from: scheduled, canceled, late, in progress, and completed.

Scout has a great check in process. First of all, there aren't any special magnets or things you have to search for to check in. Don't even get me started! When you press a button at the front door, the app uses GPS to make sure the walker is at the right location and alerts the walker if they are too far away.

At this point, if there is an alarm you're about to set off, it pops up on the screen so you can't miss it, and you don't have to dig around for it. This is a real lifesaver because there have been many times as a walker I wasn't aware of an alarm and set it off before being able to find the notes. This is about the time when the police show up! Kicking off the check in process is as simple as taking a picture of the pet! This picture is immediately emailed to the customer, letting them know you are with their pet.

We really want our walkers to take pictures, but putting this into practice has always been an issue. Walkers would be asked to take pictures of the pets, but it was no guarantee, and I had to remind them constantly. Scout incorporates taking a picture right into walk process, so clients get a picture every time, and they absolutely love it!

Response from PetMethod

Thanks for the great feedback, Corinne! Appreciated!

Abby B.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Scout Software

Reviewed on 28/09/2018

My overall experience with scout has been positive. I appreciate the ease of use and customer service.

Pros

The pros associated with scout software begin with the customer service. Any time I have needed help or had a question, the scout team has always been quick to respond and helpful.

Cons

What I like least about Scout software is the ease of use. I have commonly had customers that are already familiar with the software run into issues with scheduling. Also, I am not fond of the credit card transaction fees associated with Braintree when I can use PAYPAL or venmo for free.

Amghy C.

Excellent Customer Service

Reviewed on 10/10/2019

One of the things that really makes Scout superior from other Pet Care Software is their customer service. Rep is fast, and I mean, fast. He solves issues and responds to questions and concerns very quickly, and you can tell he is passionate about this company. I have immersed myself in competitive companies like PetCheck and TimeToPet, and Scout is so very different. Not only have they simplified their software-- it is also so very user friendly, admin wise, and field wise.

I want to note a specific issue I had: For some reason my appointments were not logging in my route on the GPS map. Not only did rep take the time to troubleshoot this issue, he even offered to mail me a mobile device to test the app-- just in case it was my mobile acting bonkers. I have never experienced this level of care and dedication with other companies!

Scout is fantastic. My clients love it, and our team loves it.

Pros

Easy check-in and check-out
Easy invoicing
User friendly

Cons

Nothing to report at this time. The software meets my expectations.

Travis L.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

World-Class and Cost-Effective App!

Reviewed on 19/09/2019

This software is "Made by Dog Walkers for Dog Walkers" (they should be using that tag line somewhere!) , so they definitely get it. It's not just some tech folks building something because they think it's cool and can be useful. It's built becuase they know what needs to actually be in the app to create value for their user base. For me personally, the key value is the automation of many manual processes and providing mobile, real-time data.

Pros

User interface, functioanality, and performance.

Cons

Need to get full front-end functionality of the app on mobile. Most of it is there already, but they are working on it in the new version coming out so no worries on my end.

Nicole P.
  • Industry: Accounting

Scout for petsitters

Reviewed on 12/04/2019

Good. Good support. The support staff is always willing to help with a problem or walk you thru a tutorial

Pros

Customers like receiving the daily reports and being able to keep track of their pets while away

Cons

Takes awhile to book visits for a vacation where we are visiting a home 4x a day. Would be much easier if there were a screen where we could quickly check "breakfast, lunch, dinner, bed" visits and then select the dates. Done. Not individually adding a breakfast visit for x days and then individually adding a lunch visit for x days.....

Also, need an admin app where I can see when my staff is checking in and checking out etc. I know I can get on website and look at data but, I'm out in field as well.

Ashley R.

Essential!

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

Pros

Great software a must for pet sitters & walkers, the GPS option is excellent and helps my clients feel at ease. The pet report could be a little more elaborate but works well.

Cons

The APP for Pet sitters should have the same options available as the desktop site. At the very least it would be helpful to bill clients from the app instead of having to login to the desktop site