Melio

Accounts payable for small businesses

4.4/5

Ryan
  • Industry: Automotive

Simple yet awesome product

Reviewed on 4/04/2023

Pros

It is nice being able to have rewards being built for credit card payments, less 1099's, and simple payment tracking

Cons

Not really friendly yet for QB Desktop users. We have a lot of features we would like including chain and price driven approval system and other nice feature would be more medium to large business friendly would be nice. If you are small business this tool is great but I see a future with this product working more and more for the medium to large business area.

Response from Melio

Hi Ryan, thank you for sharing this review. We're happy to hear you find Melio to be a useful tool for your business. We'll be sure to pass this feedback along to our team.

Devin
Devin
  • Industry: Wholesale

Simple and Intuitive for our growing business

They have been great to work with and support is super responsive

They have been great to work with and support is super responsive

Pros

One thing I like about Melio is a newly released feature that allows us to pay multiple invoices to one vendor by one payment. We often had to create individual payments to each vendor separately so now we can combine into one payment makes everyone's life easier.

Cons

We had issues of the preferred payment method of payment to vendors change without us making the change but that seems to be a resolved issue.

Response from Melio

Hi Devin, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are delighted to hear you find Melio useful and are enjoying the features we offer.

Ryan Rey

Payment Solution that works

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Melio has an excellent customer support and resolves any issues quickly.

Melio has an excellent customer support and resolves any issues quickly.

Pros

We choose this product since it seamlessly integrates with our accounting software. It also allows us to send paper checks without the hassle of printing and mailing them.

Cons

There is nothing really to dislike about the software with how our company is using it right now. I do hope for a much better interface and a more informative dashboard in the future.

Tebra

Reasons for Choosing Melio

It is integrated with our accounting software. No need to re-enter vendor information on Melio.

Venmo

Reasons for Switching to Melio

Melio integrates with our accounting software

Response from Melio

Hi Ryan, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are delighted to hear you find Melio useful and that our customer support team has been able to assist you. We appreciate your detailed feedback and will take it into account as we continue to improve our product and service.

Jeff

Fantastic Idea, poor implementation, horrific customer service

Reviewed on 24/01/2022

Really poor customer service, no one is able to help or give advice, and it's a total waste of my time.

Pros

It was easy to set up an account and has a pleasing aesthetic. I was really excited to find it. It's easy to set up vendors and create an invoice (took just a tiny bit of trial and error, but it's very self explanatory).

Cons

It took 6 weeks and numerous emails and chat messages to get them to send a test payment to verify my company bank account. Finally someone who said they were a specialist or a manager said that they had put in a manual override to get my test payments sent. That should have been a warning sign.

Then I tried to send my first payment to my vendor, and when I did it said the payment failed and I needed to contact compliance, with no additional information. I've gotten a dribble of requests asking for IRS letters and articles of organization. I've sent them in, but I have had no response as to why I was rejected, why they didn't ask for that information up front if it was going to be needed (it was very foreseeable), and there's no way to get a hold of anyone else. So, I've been waiting for 8+ weeks total and still don't have a functioning product, I don't have any idea what is wrong, and there's no way to contact anyone. The on-site chat rep tells me that they're not authorized to answer my questions and that I need to email the compliance team, but the compliance team is totally unresponsive.

Reasons for Switching to Melio

I thought I'd try Melio because it is sleek, low cost, and seemed like it might be more modern than Bill.com (which I've found to be good but clunky for other businesses I own).

Response from Melio

Hi Jeff, thanks for reaching out. Melio requires an EIN or SSN to approve your account for use. Sometimes, our Compliance team requires further information to verify a business and approve the account. As our Support team does not have access to Compliance decisions, Compliance must indeed be contacted directly. We can confirm our Compliance team has been in touch with you via email regarding your account, and requested further information to possibly overturn their decision and review your account as of today, January 27th. Please note, our teams are available Monday-Friday 9am-6pm EST.
Best Regards,

Jonathan

Why use Melio with QuickBooks

Reviewed on 31/03/2022

Excelleent

Excelleent

Pros

The built-in integration with QBO and QuickBooks Desktop allow easy flow from invoice entry to payment. The ability to schedule to send either ACH or Check within QuickBooks is critical to our workflow. If we don't have the ACH info the ability to request it securely from the vendor is great

Cons

No batch payment, the ability to pay more than one bill with a single payment would be a great addition. Also showing how credits are applied to a bill would be extremely helpful. We send a "bill & applied payments" to our vendors so they will know. Just an extra step that we would like to eliminate

Cheryl

Extremely User & Budget Friendly

Reviewed on 3/02/2023

Absolutely love this product and it’s affordability.

Absolutely love this product and it’s affordability.

Pros

This product is a great value for what it provides. We rarely pay anything for this product as it only charges on international wires and checks. Most of our transactions are ACH and free. Processing is super easy.

Cons

The only complaint I have is there is no phone support. Getting an answer to an issue is a little delayed through a ticket system.

BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable and Airbase

Reasons for Choosing Melio

Bill.com was unreasonably expensive for our volume.

Price and functionality.

Response from Melio

Hi Cheryl, thanks for sharing this review with us and the community. We're glad to hear Melio has been a great fit for your business. As for support, feel free to live chat with our customer experience team any time Monday- Friday 9am- 8pm EST. We're happy to help.

Herbert
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Painless payments for painful payees

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

Excellent

Excellent

Pros

I was able to set up payments to the very few vendors that absolutely demand being paid via ACH rather than needing to consolidate my business transactions through a software suite to make it worthwhile.
It is also incredibly affordable or free for the transactions, and there has not been problems.

Cons

There was a feature that was pretty adept at picking up an invoice PDF and setting it up as a pending bill, but the accuracy has gone down. Nothing to cry about though as I have always triple checked things!

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and QuickBooks Online

Easier and more reliable

Reasons for Switching to Melio

No need to consolidate my business into a software package that locks you into renewals. I can switch banks, accounting software, addresses etc. and Melio is just for paying bills. No need to be all things.

Response from Melio

Hi Herbert, thank you for the fantastic review. We are delighted to hear Melio has been able to take some of the pain out of making business payments - it's what we're here for. We would also like to thank you for your feedback which we will pass along to the team.

Customer Service is not good - Service is inconsistent

Reviewed on 1/06/2023

Overall experience is that they are inconsistent and have poor customer service. Not a company or software that can be relied upon.

Pros

I like that they offer the same day vendor payment for a reasonable fee. I also like the check payment option in the event a signer is not available.

Cons

Just a buyer beware, avoid same day payments, the vendor does not receive funds when promised and they still take their money out of your bank account for the same day service.When we pay the same day processing fee it is a 50/50 shot if it makes it to your vendor the same day. Their customer service reps make excuse after excuse and attempt to blame the customer. They ask for screen shots proving what you are saying and even when provided they blame the customer. Unfortunately this exact same interaction has occurred at least 3 different times, paying different vendors, and reaching out to customer service and being treated and spoken to the same way. They also will not refund the fees when there is a service failure. They just say, [sensitive content hidden] but nothing is ever done and you will have to contact your bank if you or your vendor would like a refund. Even with the receipts they request they do not care even telling me that I should have read their policy article before using their service. We won't be using any paid methods of payment with Melio any longer because sadly they are at best dishonest in what they charge for and they don't see any problem with the way in which they do business.

Response from Melio

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review and we're sorry to hear your experience has been less than stellar. Our support team is available on live chat Monday- Friday, 9am- 8pm EST via the help center. Or please reach out to us at [email protected] and we'll be sure to look into any issues you may have.

Lisa
  • Industry: Building Materials

Helpful as can be

Reviewed on 20/07/2023

Melio is nice to sync all information of A/P and A/R to keep better track of what is paying out and what is coming in. I don't have to write as many checks and mail out invoices. I think with some work on the accounts receivable side this program will be even better. You have to wait sometimes for items to sync. Can't really complain too much when most transactions are free. That's really nice.

Pros

I like how Melio syncs with my QBO. I put in a bill and it shows up in my to pay list of vendors. From there I can schedule it to be paid and its paid on time.

Cons

Much improvement is needed in the accounts receivable. My invoices sometimes don't show up for me to send and it's hard for some of my customers to sign up to make payments to me or they don't want to give out their banking information.

Response from Melio

Hi Lisa, thanks for sharing this review and leaving this feedback. We're glad to hear you're finding Melio to be a resourceful tool. We appreciate the feedback and would like to hear more about the issues you're facing so we can help make this experience even better. Please email us at [email protected], we're happy to help.

One of the best Payment Platform

Reviewed on 8/12/2022

Overall, I am satisfied with this Software and I will surely recommend to use Melio for payment purposes. It really saves a lot of time.

Pros

Melio has easy & simple Interface which helped me to easily understand and navigate through the software. I have mainly used for payment processing and payment accounting. It really helped me alot in overcoming my payment issues & challenges.

Cons

One thing that I didn't like was the price at which it is available. I think it is expensive for small businesses. Other than that, it was really Helpful for me.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Melio changed the way we pay bills and receive payments

- Reduce waiting times for customer payments (via check) to arrive
- Cash flow leverage - I can use...

- Reduce waiting times for customer payments (via check) to arrive
- Cash flow leverage - I can use a credit card to pay my bills
- Take advantage of credit card reward programs while paying bills
- No need for us to charge customers for credit card processing fees

Pros

- I can use any payment method (all major credit cards, debit cards, bank accounts) to pay my bills
- Easy ACH payment implementation for paying bills
- I can receive payments from customers quickly, relieving them of the need to mail checks and providing various options to pay me

Cons

- it seems that many features are still in development and not necessarily thought over yet
- communication about incoming payments and their status needs to be more transparent

Andrew

Best Software For Any Business

Amazing!

Amazing!

Pros

It is very intuitive, and the integration with QBO makes AP and AR processes efficient and automated. All that with a low price makes this a win win for any business.

Cons

I would like to see more integration with other accounting software platforms like QB Desktop, Xero and SAP.

Response from Melio

Hi Andrew, we're so happy to hear that you find Melio useful and easy to use. Thank you for sharing your review with us and the community.

Mar
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Melio is the best payment processing app available for the price

Reviewed on 6/05/2023

Excellent customer service

Excellent customer service

Pros

Payment processing, Ease of use, and price

Cons

I like everything about Melio. I don't have any complaints.

Stripe

Reasons for Choosing Melio

Stripe treats small business owners incredibly bad.

Stripe

Customer service, Price, and Ease of use

Response from Melio

Hi Mar, thanks for leaving this 5 star review. We are glad to hear Melio is a resourceful tool for your small business.

Darla
Darla

Took My Client's Money

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

I WILL NEVER USE MELIO AGAIN! You are like an insurance agency - you only find out how good they are when you file a claim

Pros

Ease of use................................

Cons

Melio is great if all you want to do is send out bills and have no issues besides cancelling a check you sent. However, the software started populating vendor names for vendors we NEVER did business with, which ultimately ended up with a check going to the wrong vendor. The vendor called me and notified me of the mistake, but would not cut us a check back or ACH us the money directly. Instead, they said their policy was to send the payment back via the exact same means it was sent to them...BIG MISTAKE! Melio claims they don't have the money and have no way of tracking it (even though I gave them all the info the need to search for it), and on top of that, they REFUSE TO ALLOW ANYONE FROM MELIO TO CALL ME!I have requested multiple times for a manager to call me. They even put in a call request...what happened? They would only respond via email and of course I kept getting representatives. After no less than 25 emails back and forth, I finally got a response from an "accountant manager" who told me there's nothing they can do and they are closing my case. Um, you have over $1200 of my client's money and I have requested multiple times to be called so I can discuss this issue with someone at the company in higher management, and I have flat out been denied! I CONSIDER THIS THEFT!!! Melio has stolen my client's money and won't make it right.You can't call them, and they WON'T CALL YOU! VERY UPSET WITH THIS COMPANY AND THEIR LACK OF FOLLOW THROUGH.

Response from Melio

Hi Darla, we'd love the chance to investigate this further. We don't have enough information here to find you in our system, please email us at [email protected] with "Capterra review: Urgent" in the subject line and our support team can connect with you.

Beau
  • Industry: Media Production

Melio is my hero!!!!

Reviewed on 2/05/2023

Excellent- it takes so much of the organizational hassle out of our billing and payouts.

Pros

It just takes everything off my plate. I don't have to write checks, it has free ACH transfers (for both sides), quickbooks integration, invoice cataloging, payment scheduling, and my favorite... being able to tie multiple company profiles under one admin account! As someone who owns a few [very different] small businesses with different teams, I can keep everything separate and organized, but all under the same login.

Cons

I wish there was some way to store W9's to a contractor's profile in Melio. I don't even need to be able to file 1099s via Melio (although that would be awesome) but this tiny little organizational tool would be really helpful in staying compliant since no one else (like Quickbooks) has this.

Response from Melio

Hi Beau, thanks for taking the time to share this review. We're thrilled to be your hero by providing a streamlined experience for your businesses and we're committed to providing you with an excellent user experience. We'll be sure to pass this feedback along to the team.

Joe

Melio Almost Put Me Out of Business

Reviewed on 12/01/2023

Horrible customer experience when I was hacked last month. It is still not resolved. Someone set themselves up as a vendor and then attempted to pay themselves. The fraudulant contacts are still not out of my account and my account has been frozen for over a month despite claims that it is all cleared up. Foolishly I believed them and attempted to pay my key suppliers again. I came back over the holidays to find that no payments had gone out and almost lost my biggest supplier/vendor. Multiple chats and even a message to one of their executives on LinkedIn (his response illustrated why their customer experience is so poor) have yielded nothing. Despite the headache to set up all my vendors again on another service, that is what I am doing. DON'T USE THIS SERVICE.

Pros

easy to set up and use -- had been reliable until my account was hacked over a month ago. Since then it has been inop.

Cons

unbelievably poor customer support. They have no phone option and are limited on chat. They will promise you a quick email response, but then it never happens.

Response from Melio

Hi Joe, thanks for sharing this feedback. We take inquiries related to fraud seriously and would like to investigate this issue further. We cannot find any correspondence with your information. Please email our support team with "Capterra: urgent" in the subject line and we'll be sure to get to the bottom of this. Please know this is of top priority to us.

Kallie
  • Industry: Online Media

Melio saved us in a crunch and we've stayed for years!

Reviewed on 2/05/2023

It can be hard to find a trustworthy site to send money but we always felt safe with Melio and they have great support to help at any time. Their rules and timing for sending money are simple so once you read those, everything is straightforward and you know exactly when your money will arrive / vice versa.

Pros

We needed to make a payment fast and were having some issues with our bank which required an in person appointment. Finding Melio saved the day and we were able to process the payment quickly, safely, and very conveniently. The cost to use a credit card is the standard 2.9% fee which is invaluable when you want to leverage credit but are in a space where many companies only accept wire transfers.

Cons

I had a payment or two rejected before I knew that you could only select the "I have already received the goods" for my industry but other than that, I had a perfect experience with Melio.

Response from Melio

Hi Kallie, thanks for sharing this five star review. We're delighted to hear that Melio has allowed you to process payments quickly, safely, and conveniently. Our goal is to consistently deliver the support and assistance you require for your business. We greatly appreciate your continued support over the years and we'll be sure to pass this feedback along.

Aaron

Fantastic Product

Reviewed on 7/11/2022

My overall experience with Melio has been a positive one. We have multiple locations and the approval process on each invoice being processed has been seamless.

Pros

The ease of set up and implemenation on this software is outstanding. The immediate synch with Quickbooks has been a time saver.

Cons

This software was free when we started using and now is charging per transacation. I am not a fan as part of our attraction to this software was no fee.

Cost

Response from Melio

Hi Aaron, thanks for leaving this review. We're happy to hear you are finding Melio useful and easy to use. To clarify, our new check fee covers printing, postage and handling. There is also an additional layer of security to sending checks with Melio - your bank details are never on the check, helping protect you from fraud and check forgery. Please note, our ACH bank transfer feature remains free of charge.

Jason
  • Industry: Media Production

A Cut to the Chase Solution

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

Customer service is second to none. You really get the sense that the people speaking to you care about the product and care about how you are using it. I've had several people reach out to me just to make sure everything was okay and that we were getting the most out of the product. The interface needs a little work to make it easier to use, feels a bit clunky at times, that and the other things listed above are some issues that need to be incorporated in but other than that we love using Melio for our needs.

Pros

Melio is a great product we recently had the opportunity to discover. I was very impressed at how easy it integrated to our accounting in Quickbooks. This is the main reason I found it so vital in our operation. Before we started using Melio there never really was a great solution for paying people by different means. We had some vendors who wanted printed checks and still others who preferred an electronic payment. Melio makes it easy for your company to pay people safely and quickly.

Cons

I have to say I really like the software so far but there are a couple of items I would really like to see and these items almost stopped me from deciding to use the product. First, the paper checks really need an overhaul to look more professional and branded from a specific company. I've had freelancers who wonder if the check is legitimate because it doesn't have our logo or they can't see that it's coming from us. Paper checks definitely need some work...also, the ability to run a simple payroll out of Melio wold be helpful so that you can eliminate printing checks in your office completely. It would be nice to be able to simply pay employees through Melio as well as freelancers. I know that there are work arounds, but we need a dedicated way to pay employees added.

Response from Melio

Hi Jason, thank you for posting such an amazing review. We are very happy to hear you find Melio's various payment options useful and that our service is able to save you time and hassle. Also, thank you for your valuable insights into our product - we will pass them along to the relevant teams.

Adam

Melio for Wine Retailers

See above.

See above.

Pros

-ability to use credit cards to pay distributors via ACH
-ability to earn triple points on Chase INK Preferred card since Melio is categorized as "shipping" for Chase. Don't mess around with this!
-syncing to Quickbooks invoices
-itemized credit card transactions with distributor name; easier for bookkeeper
-wonderful and responsive account rep - [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] Smart
-simple interface

Cons

THINGS TO ADD:
-importing vendor credits from Quickbooks to Melio
-ability to partially pay an invoice
-ability to sort invoices by date, vendor, due date, amount, etc.
-need to clearly display which store/account I'm logged in under; I have two stores and I have to click my name in the bottom left to see which store I'm logged in under

ISSUES/IMPROVEMENTS:
-better communication with accounts receivable departments at vendors; a lot of companies have Melio and have no idea what it is, don't trust payment, don't tell sales reps, etc.
-improve the speed of emailing of payees after payments are made; there is a lot of confusion if/when a payment is made
-Code for bonus categories for AmEx and Barclays business cards
-Create an Android app
-Find a way for credit card payments to hit vendors' accounts at open of business next-day
-offer promotions to be more competitive with Plastiq. Currently, Plastiq offers tens of thousands of dollars every month with 1% fees. They also only charge 2.5%...
-Find a way to make COD payments easier or more trusted with alcohol vendors

Mary
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great Product for small business owners

Reviewed on 19/11/2022

I've recommended Melio to all small business owners that I've met across the board and utilize it for all 5 of my own companies. This helps me so much in terms of organization and cash flow.

Pros

I love that I can control cash flow easily using Melio - it will remind me about when bills are due, I can easily see what I have outstanding, search for paid/unpaid invoices by vendor and plan out when my bills are best paid.

Cons

I would love to add an entry area to specify the difference between "delivery date" and "due date".

Response from Melio

Hi Mary, thank you for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Christal

Melio Makes a Good Inexpensive Bill Payment Option

Reviewed on 27/07/2023

Overall, Melio is good for small businesses and inexpensive option compared to other apps.

Pros

Melio is easy to setup and use in small businesses. Scheduling payments is easy, and it integrates with QBO.

Cons

I wish it was more detailed in setting up approvals process for employees.

BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable

Response from Melio

Hi Christal, thank you for sharing this review. We're happy to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use. We'll be sure to pass this feedback along to our team.

Zane
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

A God Among Men

Reviewed on 29/01/2020

We use Melio to send all our ACH transfers. You can quickly upload and create bills and schedule payments for whenever they are due. when you send transfers via your business debit card, they arrive to your vendors NEXT DAY! It's super easy and actually fun to use.

They also have the ability to pay your vendors via credit card, so they charge your card and deliver the funds to your vendor's bank account for a small fee. It really helps us keep up with cash flow, plus the 2% back from the credit card makes the fee almost non existent.

And with the direct connection to Quickbooks Online, its super easy to sync all your vendors, bills and payments, making Melio a perfect bill management application. We'd recommend it to everyone.

Pros

- Free to use
- Free to send bank transfers
- Low cost to send bank transfers by charging a credit card
- Perfect bill management application
- Gorgeous and responsive UI
- Syncs directly with Quickbooks
- Quick and responsive support staff

Cons

No ability to pay international vendors via credit card transactions, but no one does that so not really a loss.

Karen
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Worst customer service ever!!

Reviewed on 30/09/2022

Pros

No pros at this point. I thought that this was going to be a great choice, but it is not!

Cons

I processed 13 bill payments on 9/6, the funds were withdrawn from my account immediately. I started to receive phone calls from my credit card accounts, bank, insurance companies saying that payment was never received. I immediately looked at the QBO account, then my checking account. I reached out to MELIO via a chat and email. I was able to chat with a representative who eventually told me that "Unfortunately there was a bug in the system that prevented the payments from going out." REALLY?? And you couldn't even make your clients aware of this when it was occurring or even afterwards?! NOPE, now I have incurred late fees, and penalties. I requested that they overnight mail these checks to my vendors with an explanation of what occurred on their end, but was told that there was no way for the system to expedite payments, but could give me promotions for future payments as long as I was eligible. I requested contact with someone in a supervisory role, but have never heard from anyone. Again, all their fault, but no responsibility taken on their end. This company is just a joke, and I have expressed my concern with their business practices to Quickbooks as well. If you are thinking of a billpay service--stay away from MELIO!!

Jim
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Non Responsive Support

Reviewed on 25/07/2022

We reported a very serious fraudulent activity over a week ago, since this time I have been trying to get someone associated with Melio to contact us in order to share additional information concerning this case. Trying to reach someone within the Melio organization is a joke, I am extremely frustrated by the lack response when it comes to urgent matters.

For this reason only, I would NEVER recommend anyone to use Melio. It is fine until a situation arises then you are absolutely 100% on your own. A simple call or a follow-up email from a live person versus automated responses would go a long way.

Pros

The product is easy to use, however customer support is NON-EXISTENT. There is NO WAY to reach an actual person, either via phone or "Live Chat". So far my experience with Meilo 's customer support has been absolutely horrible.

Cons

Customer Service/Support Team is unreachable & non responsive

Response from Melio

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you voicing your concerns and would love the chance to turn this experience around for you. We're currently investigating further to see if your case has been resolved or if you need further assistance. To make sure we have all the correct info, please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line "Capterra review". Kindly include your account name, contact details and a brief explantation of the issue you've been experiencing. We will ensure your case is placed on high priority and responded to by a member of our support team within the next 1-2 business days.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.