ZipBooks

Accounting & online invoicing software

4.5 /5 (93 reviews) Write a Review!
4.5
4.5
4.3
4.6
4.6
Diego L.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

I love ZipBooks! Easy to use, beautiful invoices, and a solid time tracker

Reviewed on 14/08/2017

Saved time, beautiful invoices, reliable and integrated time tracker

Pros

I love the fact that I can set up and send an invoice in a few minutes, pulling in existing products and services (complete with description). The addition of a time tracker was unexpected and very appreciated! I use it to keep track of the hours spent on certain projects with those clients that prefer hourly payment over per-project pricing. ZipBooks also allows for past hours tracked that are unpaid to be automagically pulled into a new or an existing invoice, making it super simple to make sure everything is included in an invoice before sendoff. The invoices are simple, clean, beautiful and there is an "include PDF" option when sending out the invoice to clients (for those that prefer to print out and save their invoices). The customer support is phenomenal -- the support staff is friendly and helpful.

Cons

It's still a relatively new software, and I was one of the early adopters, so there were a few minor bugs and quirks in the past. The good thing is, most of the bugs are squashed, and the roadmap for the future of the app looks very bright!

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks for the great review, Diego. Glad you stuck it out with us!

John M.
Industry: Computer Software
Company size: Self Employed

Great app for small business and freelancers accounting and bookkeeping

Reviewed on 22/08/2017

Pros

I have been using Zipbooks since last year and I have enjoyed the ease of use. They clean interface is very appealing. Have basic project management with tasks. My most used feature is invoicing which takes away my need to send invoices via email. Expense tracking is also on point.

So far I'm using Zipbooks as my default bookkeeping software. They were kind enough to extend a forever plan being an early adopter.

Support team is very responsive.

Cons

Project management is very basic.

I had to do a lot of manual work merging repeating transactions when I connected PayPal account and bank account since PayPal was pulling money from the bank. It would be nice to have a system that detects duplicate transactions.

Changing a transaction that is attached to a paid invoice turned the invoice to draft even if the invoice was marked as paid.

Response from ZipBooks

John,

Glad you are loving ZipBooks. Also, thanks for the feedback on things we can improve!

Joan J.
Industry: Design

Small Business Review

Reviewed on 6/01/2020

Pros

Easy to use and very user friendly. Customer support is always fast and has a solution to most any problem I through their way.

Cons

I wish there was a way to export a formatted excel spreadsheet of reports or be able to print to a PDF (single-page) easier.

Michael E.
Industry: Retail

Was GREAT, Recently VERY DISAPPOINTED

Reviewed on 21/06/2017

Easy to use, you just cant get your money

Pros

Easy to use, no frills, perfect for small business. Makes the daily chore of bookkeeping fairly easy.

Cons

CAN"T GET YOUR PAYMENTS!!! this is the second time that my payments are not posting to my account. Customer service is responsive, but point the finger at their processor. that does not get me paid. My customers orders have been delayed because of a ZIPBOOKS issue. I have been waiting for my payments to be released for now in 12 days. This is completely unacceptable. They used to be completely free now they want you to upgrade and pay a monthly fee to use the advanced services, but suddenly can't process payments in a timely manner, or in my case at all. Just something to think about before you start using this service. If you NEED to get paid, might want to find another service.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Andrew R.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

ZipBooks isn't what it seems

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 18/10/2018

Overall, if you are an individual looking for a cool interface to keep a general ledger, this is a cool system. It's absolutely NOT a system of businesses. As a small business, I simply can't afford spending hours trying to may a paid system work. In this day, software shouldn't need someone holding it's hand. There are better systems out there and well worth the larger cost.

Hopefully this can save someone else from headaches. Move on, you'll be glad you skipped this system.

Pros

A beautiful interface with a clean layout gives you the first impression you are in an elegant accounting program. It also gives you step by step guides to connect banks and the progress of your connections. The ai is smart and will often correctly label your transactions.

Cons

The most major problem is, the software doesn't connect correctly to my Credit Union. It would show a balance of 3-4 past transactions, however have ALL the transactions in there.

Working with customer service is annoyingly slow. Response times in my experience have been days and I am a paid member. Along with the responses are silly gifs some people may dig, but when you have a problem, it's downright insulting.

After customer service realizing I was on an old system, they had it upgraded and wanted me to re-connect my Credit Union. As a result every transaction was gone! So years of balancing my business was vaporized. Thank god I didn't trust their customer service rep and exported everything prior to doing such a poor suggestion.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Mary B.

I use for business and personal accounting actually.

Reviewed on 14/06/2017

Pros

Color coding, clean interface, simple to use so that I actually am able and motivated to keep up with my accounting. Love the option to outsource bookkeeping as I scale. Custom categories are really nice, too. Love ability to add docs to transactions and link transactions to certain clients.

Cons

I don't like that bulk-categorization was removed from free accounts without notice or at least a free trial of the next paid tier account so we could understand whether we should upgrade. I also don't like that there's no cash flow statement at this time under reporting.

Response from ZipBooks

Mary,

Thanks for the great feedback!

We are finalizing the details on providing early ZipBookers exclusive options from free forever to preferred pricing.

Regarding the specific feature of bulk categorization, I'll take a look at your account and see why you aren't able to use that.

Can you send your account details to [email protected]?

With regards to accessing our cash flow statement, if you set the income statement to "cash basis", you'll be all set!

Thanks!

Brad

Kathleen N.
Industry: Retail
Company size: Self Employed

No other way to go than ZipBooks - 100% Satisfied!

Reviewed on 1/06/2018

Bookkeeping service available to me via chat. Wonderful Bookkeepers such as Karin to help me along. Categorization help, ability to have a business report readily available any day. I love this program.

Pros

Extremely easy to use interface. Live chat option with a bookkeeper, preset categorization, help every step of the way, ability to track EVERYTHING about my business.

Cons

No inventory tracking feature. I would love more freedom in setting up my invoices. I need more options because my products vary. Also no intergration with eBay. But I still love the software.

Sarah K.

Great Product

Reviewed on 22/06/2017

Pros

Our nonprofit was looking for easy to use software for our accounting. Not only is this easy, it is nice to look at too. And all web based means no more downloads on my computer! Linking a bank account was very easy! The mobile apps help as well. Customer service responded in under 12 hours!!!

Cons

They only have an app for IOS, No Android app yet, however I was informed it will be here late summer! (very excited about that)

Pascual C.

Free and great alternative to QuickBooks

Reviewed on 21/07/2017

Pros

Free, easy to use, professional and helpful customer support. It allows you to sync your bank account information into the system to save time.

Cons

Sometimes the sync does not work properly and you have to re-link your bank account to ZipBooks or refresh several times.

Daniel S.

So far, so good

Reviewed on 20/11/2015

Zipbooks is new, and while they still need to develop a consistent and positive track record, I can say that their product and team show a lot of promise. I have had quite a bit of contact with their team and they have taken my advice and feature requests seriously. These are early days, but so far it looks great and they seem to be moving in the right direction.

Response from ZipBooks

Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. We know we still have a long way to go. Thanks being so generous with your feedback and sticking it out with us!

ZipBooks Team

Jeffrey S.

Extremely easy to use, setup is a snap. Great flexibility in how you enter/use data.

Reviewed on 22/01/2016

In general I think the software is outstanding. The customer service is fast, very friendly, and efficient. I had an issue with linking to my bank, it was fixed asap and works perfectly. The only reason that I give it 4 stars (overall) and it really should be a 4.5 star raring is that I'd like to see an option to configure categories for expenses, and options for mileage as an expense. Integration to a mileage tracker like TripLog and a time tracker like Gleeo Time Tracking would be the icing on the cake.

Richard B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Poor poor technical support.

Reviewed on 16/06/2016

The customer support is atrocious. I had two issues; resetting my user data and a screwed up connection to Stripe. The first was still outstanding 3 weeks later, the second 4 days later. No feedback from "Brad from ZipBooks" until I chased them up with followup messages.

Eventually we agreed to delete my account and I'd start from scratched. That was 2 days ago and I honestly don't expect it to happen.

I'll be staying with Xero. A much more professional product.

Pros

Free.

Connects with PayPal, Stripe and WePay.

Clean simple web interface.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Tyler M.

Receiving payments is absolutely insane.

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

Pros

It looks nice and relatively polished, it's easy to navigate, and the setup process (seems) pretty easy.

Cons

The setup process is bizarre. Only after I had received a payment, I was told they were holding my funds until I sent them my Social Security Number USING LIVE CHAT, which is absolutely insane. The live chat provider they use, in fact, specifically says it is not secure enough for that, and forbids them from doing so in their Terms of Service.

Additionally, weird features are gated on the free plan. For example, you can't see your notifications.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Pete M.

Great for folks on a shoe string budget

Reviewed on 20/11/2015

Handles just about everything that a small business would need for their accounting, you'll love it!

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks Pete! Glad you could take time out of your busy schedule to leave a review. Thanks for the support!

Haley W.

Fantastic Software!

Reviewed on 21/01/2016

I am over-the-moon happy with my experience using ZipBooks. Not only is it easy to use, the customer service I've received is amazing. I will continue to use and it recommend it to others. Love it!

Antony A.

Simple and does the job well!

Reviewed on 22/01/2016

It is simple even for a person without any accounting background. Straightforward menu for browsing and recording. It provides a quick report for overall summary

Andre H.

Great to use

Reviewed on 20/01/2016

Sleek, easy to use and makes my life easier. There are tiny niggles here and there but their equivalent to a typo on an email - their that insignificant.

Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

User

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 1/10/2018

Nice to use but lacks some important advanced features

Pros

Easy to use, great to track the tasks, and assign the duties

Cons

No android version support, lacks inventory-tracking features. and integrated add-ons.

Brezi M.

Love this service!

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 28/06/2016

I love using this service for my birth photography business. It helps me keep everything organized and in one place for each of my clients.

Caitlin J.

I'm a ZipBooks Fangirl! I've tried several accounting options & they provide the best value!

Reviewed on 11/04/2018

I've been able to spend less time on my accounting. I don't have to create reports, ZipBooks does it all based on my chart of accounts and other information. The customer service is super fantastic and supportive. The help files are well written, concise and easy to understand. The cost is low and the tiered pricing system is really fair. I can connect multiple accounts and add staff to my account. I can use time tracking, set up automatic invoices, pre-set items and tasks, add documents, just to name a few! My personal account is turned into a profile which is hosted on their system. My clients can leave reviews and potential clients can find and contact me.

Pros

Beside the cost (I'm on the pro version and it's still cheaper than the basic version of Xero and others), it automatically creates all the reports I need and shows them in a way that means I don't need an accounting degree! So my general ledger, my profit and loss statements - it's all there for me! Everything is so simple to use that I spent the first couple of weeks overthinking the whole thing - because it can't be that simple right?! The layout is so easy to navigate, the chart of accounts is simple to understand, and when I need a hand (I've managed to mess things up in my ignorance of double entry accounting) the customer support team are right there and get my problem sorted so quickly!

Cons

My biggest con is that it's really USA-centric. I'm not in the States so I can't connect my bank account to the system so I have to manually import my statements. For me, it's well worth the effort because the system saves me time and stress in so many other ways. Also I'm a sole trader so I don't have many accounts to sort out. I can imagine it would be different for someone with a bigger company or more regular turnover.

Robin L.

Zipbooks makes it easy for me to manage accounting for my consulting business.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 1/03/2018

Pros

The user interface is intuitive and easy! I like that I don't have to be an accounting pro to get set up and start invoicing clients. My clients love how easy it is to pay me. They click a couple of buttons and they are done, which means faster payments and more efficient accounting for me!

Cons

Because I don't understand accounting, I had some trouble reconciling some of the charges/credits and couldn't "undo" what I'd done very easily. It's not the most forgiving, however, their customer service was top notch in helping me solve the issue for no additional charges. I thought I'd have to hire someone to fix it, and they gave me free advice to help me fix it myself.

Chad K.
Industry: Design
Company size: Self Employed

A wonderful tool. Very intuitive and simple design.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 5/07/2017

It helps me prep for tax season throughout the year, rather than doing everything right before the deadline. Also, the invoicing is embedded in the software so there is no more cross referencing pdf invoices with bank statements for payout amounts.

Pros

The simple design is the most attractive part of this software to me. So many other accounting programs are not very streamlined and simple, but Zipbooks has been very easy to use, inexpensive and the customer service is very helpful and timely.

Cons

Because I have an untraditional business model without regular payments, the business score and analytics about business health are not very helpful and actually make me feel like my business isn't as strong as it actually is. I'd prefer to turn them off if I could! But that's a very small con. I also wish I could export a list of individual expenses with their category listed but screenshots will do for now!

Ruth B.

I have utilized the on-line customer support as I am not a trained bookkeeper.

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

The ease of invoices being able to be tracked and simple so all can understand it.

Pros

For this software things I like and appreciate the best is the customer support. I have needed on-line chat several times and they always answer, but goes a step farther in teaching me what I need to know to prevent this mistake from happening again and repeating. I also like how easy it is create an invoice.

Cons

The cons for me or a limited amount reports, lack of export options, and the large difference in categories.

Orlando M.

Powerful freeware! Easy to understand interface. Fairly easy to use. Very satisfied!

Reviewed on 19/01/2018

Pros

This software connects with your bank account and automatically syncs transactions and auto-categorizes transactions. I've only been using for a few days, but have not had an issue with the auto-categorization of expenses and revenues. Saves a lot of time. I also like the auto-generated financial statements. Goof feature for free software.

Cons

I did have to brush up on some accounting fundamentals to ensure I am recording transactions correctly. It would be nice if they had some tips/descriptions of different types of transactions and how to properly record them. Was able to figure it all out through Google search though.

Nava H.
Industry: Biotechnology

Zipbook

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Pros

It it enormously usable for the stuff I daily face with

Cons

I see almost no problem in this application

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10