EmailOctopus

Write a Review!
Easy-to-use, affordable email marketing tool.

4.8/5
4.4/5
4.7/5
4.7/5

KISS for email marketing

Reviewed on 1/09/2020

I use it to send a weekly email to my former ukulele students (300+). I also send out 'tech tips' to authors on a semi-regular basis.

Pros

What I love most about email octopus is the simplicity of it. The interface is minimal by design which doesn't derail me when I just need to get an email out to my lists.

Cons

I would love it if they supported markdown.

Bikas
Bikas

A Fantastic Email Tool | Good Value for Money for starting Email Marketing

Reviewed on 19/07/2023

The support team was fantastic, I didn't expect such prompt response of my tickets. They're very understanding and put great efforts to make it work for you.

Pros

Its pretty easy to use and makes campaign & list management very easy. The integration with wordpress is great as well. The tracking & analytics are fantastic so far showing detailed engagement for each recepient of our emails.

Cons

More templates could be added and made better, the forms could have a bit more customization to them both visually and condition wise.

MailerLite , Mailchimp and Mailjet

MailBluster

Cost effective, Ease of use, Compatibility with our own Amazon SES account
Elestren

Great Value, Ease and personal help if needed

Reviewed on 30/04/2024

Pros

That the free version has so much included still. It is easy to use and I like the designs included in options.

Cons

nothing. I like it. It has all that I need

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Onboarding makes no sense

Reviewed on 10/04/2022

Pros

It's very easy to build emails and work with forms and landing pages

Cons

Before being able to send any communication they sent you a set of questions about your data base and lists, where and how you acquire your contacts. They sent this like two hours before I've signed in. I'm supposed to give them all my info, wait for their approval and only then shoot my emails. This is absurd doesn't happen with any other provider I've used before (mailchimp, hubspot, etc)

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with our approval process. We have an approval process in place to maintain our industry leading deliverability. During the approval process we look to find out what kind of emails you'll be sending and how the list was grown many companies continue to use purchased lists, which are not only against the law but impact the service massively too so having this step allows us to educate users and improve our service for all.

In many cases approval can be done immediately, without any additional questions. However at times we do need to get some additional information, this is what will have happened in your case.

Those questions only need to be answered once, and should take no longer than 2 minutes to answer.

While we appreciate those questions may add some additional friction to signing up, it's done with the best of intentions and is why our reputation is so high with the likes of Gmail and Yahoo.

Vivian

Works for all my needs

Reviewed on 19/02/2024

I've had no issues at all. Everything goes smoothly. I'm happy with the cost per product.

Pros

I really like how I can set up campaigns and send them out without much issue.

Cons

I really don't like the visuals? If that makes sense? I don't think my email looks as pretty as I want it to. It's also not as easy to design what I want how I want it.

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

price was the main factor. I need to grow my list and not be nickeled and dimed as I grow.

MailerLite

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

I had a PA who was familiar with it and could help me get started.
Charles
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great experience with emerging options!

Reviewed on 10/06/2024

I really enjoy this platform and am excited to see it grow.

I really enjoy this platform and am excited to see it grow.

Pros

Low price with the capability to send mass emails and campaigns.

Cons

The reports are limited. There are some design options that are minimal and restrict a user from taking their campaign to the next level.

Gail
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great for a small nonprofit!

Reviewed on 4/06/2024

A very positive experience that allowed us to get up and moving quickly and easily.

Pros

It seemed quick and easy to set up and get going fast, which is what we needed. Price point was right and we have continued to grow our email list ever since we started.

Cons

Nothing that comes up as being a serios negative!

Jonathan
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Switched from MailChimp

Reviewed on 28/05/2024

Pros

EmailOctopus offered the services we needed at a much better price.

Cons

I wish there was more connectivity and integration with third party platforms - but not at the cost of too much of an increase in price. Intuit ruined MailChimp by making it cost ineffective for small businesses.

Fred
  • Industry: Automotive

Very easy to use and fast to set up

Reviewed on 21/05/2024

Customers service was fast, friendly and helpful and I had an email optin page set up and collecting emails within just a few minutes.

Pros

I really like the simplicity and ease of use.

Cons

Really nothing so far! Everything has been well done.

Tom
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Really impressed with their platform

Reviewed on 21/05/2024

Pros

Really impressed with their platform and price. Their instant online tech support is first rate. 😀

Cons

nothing really it was great and we will go on using.

George

Refreshingly Simple and Straightforward

Reviewed on 16/11/2022

An excellent tool for most email-marketing situations. I've used it on several client sites for letting them build their own newsletters and email lists, and have not had a single complaint about it. If you are looking for a tool to migrate your email list of hundreds of thousands of users to, EmailOctopus probably isn't for you—but if you're an average-sized business or creator, it's really my preferred option now, and much less spammy/convoluted than something like ConvertKit!

Pros

Email Octopus is really a great tool for—in my opinion—80–90% of situations where you need email marketing. For the large part it "just works", and I have no trouble getting my clients to use it, which cannot be said about other similar tools.It's quite easy to make great-looking forms and landing pages, and the WordPress plugin is a joy to use—makes things much easier!

Cons

If it's a great tool for 80–90% of situations, then I have to admit it has some shortcomings for those less-common use cases where you really need something robust and more flexible.Its API documentation is a bit lacking, for example, and while things "just work" for the most part, a consequence of this is that you don't have nearly as much control over precise details as you would with a larger—and admittedly more expensive—tool in this same spce.

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

ConvertKit's branding is a bit of a turn off. It's either just...bad (remember that whole weird thing of temporarily being named "Seva"?), or has a very heavy marketer/car-salesman vibe to it.But it was a decent tool for a long time, so worth using.I came across EmailOctopus via its WordPress plugin, and was intrigued by the simplicity and refreshing marketing and design, which felt so much more "normal" and straightforward than e.g. ConvertKit.I started using it one some personal projects, and after loving it, am now using it with some freelance clients. A few of those are switched over from ConvertKit and we're all happier for it.

ConvertKit

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

There are situations where I'd go with a tool with more features and more developer possibilities (i.e. a more fully-fleshed-out, better-documented API with ideally some SDKs ready to go).But EmailOctopus is a great balance of focused feature-set, cost, design quality, and customer support, so it's becoming my go-to!
Anca
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great tool for authors and bloggers

Reviewed on 20/03/2023

I had the pleasure of using EmailOctopus for my email marketing campaigns, and I must say it's an excellent tool. The platform is incredibly easy to use and efficient. One of the best things about it is the wide variety of templates available, as well as the option to create custom ones.Additionally, I appreciate the free plan that allows you to schedule your campaigns, which is a feature not always included in free plans with other email marketing services. Whenever I needed assistance, their support team was fantastic, quick to respond and receptive to suggestions.Last but not least, the pricing is very affordable, especially once you reach 2500 subscribers. Overall, I would highly recommend EmailOctopus to anyone looking for an excellent email marketing tool that is easy to use, affordable, and offers fantastic customer support.

Pros

My favorite features are:1. creating your own template2. scheduling campaigns

Cons

Although it integrates with StoryOrigin (the platform I use to deliver magnet readers and do newsletter swaps with other authors), EmailOctopus's API doesn't support list stats. Because I swap with other authors, it helps to show my stats (list size, open rate and chick rate). But the support team was quick to respond and open to suggestions, so I'm hoping they will fix this in another update.

MailerLite and Zoho Campaigns

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

MailChimp recently reduced its free plan from 2000 to 500 subscribers. I find their pricing too expensive (not for what they offer, but for what I need at this moment).

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

I chose EmailOctopus for 4 reasons:1. Higer number of subscribers in the free plan2. Affordable price3. Scheduling option4. It integrates with the platform I'm using to deliver my reader magnet.
Shishira
  • Industry: Publishing

EmailOctopus is the best free and VFM mail service I've found after months of searching!

Reviewed on 26/04/2023

Pros

I love that EO is so easy to set up and use - it took me less than 30 mins to set up my first automation (welcome email to new subs) and prepare my first weekly campaign. The UI was really nice too with the drag and drop builder (for someone like me who has no coding knowledge) and the flexibility to customise the layout even though I'm on a free plan. Also liked how generous EO in the early stages of growth for the user!

Cons

Have not run into any cons, but I would enjoy a more flexible builder UI that could help me standardise fonts and colors for the complete mail and be able to revert to it with a single click if any incorrect formatting exists. Also, pressing backspace to delete a word also deletes the space before that word, which isn't required (it slows down typing speed)

Mailbird , MailerLite and Brevo

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

I was on the free plan and MC no longer offers the benefits of contact count and mail count it did previously. I am yet to scale my business - hopefully it does soon and I can stick around to upgrade within EO in the future

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

UI/UX, good reviews on the internet and generous starter plan (free)
Kat
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

This is an amazing tool for individuals and orgs who need email/outreach management on a...

Reviewed on 26/06/2023

The experience has been amazing! It has been transformative for our organization and its outreach.

Pros

This was incredibly easy to adopt and use. Each part of the experience is highly clean and simplified. I highly appreciate how much functionality is included for the introductory prices.

Cons

I just wish I could manually batch add contacts to lists. That is, add multiple contacts without needing to upload a CSV.

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

Gmail obviously doesn't have everything we need, of course. We were doing everything pretty manually.

Gmail

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

Everything had higher price-rates and features we didn't need
Darko
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Features, Pricing, Pros & Cons

Reviewed on 24/08/2023

EmailOctopus offers a clean interface, competitive pricing, and speedy support. It's preferred over competitors and has gained popularity among users since 2016. Despite some feature limitations, it delivers on user-friendliness, making it a valuable choice for email campaign and marketing.

Pros

EmailOctopus is appreciated for its user-friendliness, quality templates, drag-and-drop editor, and strong customer service. Its value is highlighted, along with positive feedback from Capterra and G2 reviews.

Cons

While praised for its ease and value, some users desire improvements in email list segmentation and additional template options.

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

I chose EmailOctopus over these alternative products simply because of the price, simplicity and quality.
Kat
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Can't beat the features for the price

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

My overall experience has been positive. I'm comfortable with tech, so setting this up with AWS wasn't difficult. I like the user interface and I think deliverability is at least moderate. I've been able to save 10-20 month using EmailOctopus over the more mainstream and pricey email providers, so I'm happy.

Pros

I like that I have 90% of the functionality as with the more expensive options, like MailerLite. This allows me to build my newsletter list without the hefty price tag.

Cons

I wish there were more analysis-type features, like being able to tell me at a glance which subscribers haven't opened an email in six months, and then a mechanism to pull that group out and cull them from my list. Right now the process is manual and time-consuming.

Jennifer Lauren
Jennifer Lauren
  • Industry: Publishing

Switch from MailChimp to EmailOctopus was a no brainer.

Reviewed on 6/06/2023

So far, the experience has been wonderful. There have been no issues with setting up or sending out campaigns and it has been easy to learn the platform.

Pros

The ease of account setup and importing contacts from our old provider to EmailOctopus. I also liked the analytics reports. I also like the lists setup.

Cons

I wish there was a mobile app to manage contacts and campaigns.

Constant Contact

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

Mailchimp kept changing the offerings for the free and lowest-tier services. Once Intuit took over, it was obvious they wanted everyone to start paying more for every small thing. As a small business I could no longer afford to use MailChimp.

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

I liked the ease of use and overall aesthetic of EmailOctopus over the alternatives.
Sumeet

Best Email Marketing System

Reviewed on 5/11/2020

Overall, I think I am using EmailOctopus for more than 3-4 years now I think. I have been very satisfied with their product and haven't found any other service which gives me such good features at this price point. All the best to their team and hoping they take EmailOctopus to new heights.

Pros

I have been using this since it was a very small product. I have seen it grow and add new features with time. They have definitely grown for the better and added some really nice automated marketing features without increasing the cost too much.

Cons

Amazon SES reputation management is the biggest issue I have faced. Though, it's not their part of the product directly but there should be some way of managing the reputation and fixing those issues from within their product. Whenever I had doubts, their team did help me out a lot.

• Industry: Automotive

Small Agency ESP Review

Reviewed on 11/09/2020

Very positive.

Very positive.

Pros

We use EmailOctopus for our small agency to send our newsletters and other targeted email campaigns. Their tool is extremely easy to use and is very cost efficient for small agencies that have to watch every penny. Plus the are continually adding new features to the platform which makes the value increase every quarter!

Cons

Would like the ability to create sub-accounts. And it's a bummer to pay a foreign transaction fee every month.

Chameleon , SendGrid and Emma by Marigold

Better value

Campaigner

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

Easy decision. EmailOctupus offered the best value for our agency.
Elle

Excellent Email Service

Reviewed on 3/08/2023

My experience with EO has always been personal, accessible, and prompt. Their site "Knowledge Base" is very helpful, and their email templates look good. Most of all, their mission aligns with mine. I couldn't be happier overall!

Pros

I'm an indie author, and I like having control of my content. EmailOctopus provides great templates and transparent analysis, plus it aligns with my values (responsibility for the environment!) which is a huge boost in my opinion.

Cons

When I started out, EmailOctopus didn't quite have the diverse functionality that I saw in other big email brands. However I have seen EO add functionality over time, and I myself am not super techy, so essentially I have been able to grow with the service. :)

MailerLite and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

sustainability, accessibility, value for price, transparency
Zoie
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

I feel like I'm part of the family!

Reviewed on 20/08/2023

EmailOctopus provides a great product at a fantastic price. I feel confident that they have my back at every step, as I grow my list!

Pros

I have to admit that it was the Free Plan that first got my attention, but it's been the really great customer support that has totally sold me on EmailOctopus. Everyone is so friendly and prompt with their responses to even some of my "newbie" questions. I also really like how easy and intuitive everything is set up. IIt was so quick and easy to get started and I've made some beautiful web forms that I love.

Cons

At this time, because my list is small, I don't have any Cons.

Jasmine

The Best Software I’ve used

Reviewed on 26/10/2022

Pros

The interface is easy to use and the email sending is easy to access. Unlike other email platforms I’ve tried, I love that there is a minimum amount of subscribers you must have before you must buy the paid plan. Nothing is complicated about this. It’s a great tool.

Cons

I wish there was a mobile app but other than that, nothing is wrong with it.

RYAN
RYAN
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best Email Service Anywhere

Reviewed on 28/09/2018

Outstanding. I have so much control and flexibility to use this service for so many bulk emailing applications and I can scale up or down to mirror my busy seasons. I have been thrilled with this service for years.

Pros

I have been a user of EmailOctopus for years and have seen the company, services, and functionality grow and develop over time. The customer service has been extraordinary whenever I have had questions and I have always received highly respectful communications from this company. They know that your success makes them succeed as well so they are in your corner every step of the way and they treat customers fairly at all times.

The ease and flexibility of this web-based program are outstanding and I have made recommendations in the past that have since been implemented. What the service is now is a godsend for anyone needing to send bulk emails whether frequently or occasionally because they allow you to scale up or down to your needs, which I see as further proof of their customer first philosophy.

The setup is easy if you follow the instructions or ask for any help and once you are setup with amazon and email octopus, you can be confident that you will achieve everything you desire with this service. Best of luck to you all in future endeavors.

Cons

None Exist. Try to change my mind. This service is outstanding.

Freeman
Freeman

Love EmailOctopus!

Reviewed on 26/10/2020

Pros

EmailOctopus is focused on one thing - helping you send beautiful emails to your subscribers. It's not bloated, it's simple to use, and it's priced very competitively. We switched from Mailchimp a few years ago. We love the ability to use our Amazon SES account to keep costs low for our high volume of weekly email sends. I've also switched client's from Mailchimp to the EmailOctopus Pro plan and it always saves them time and money.

Cons

Would be great to have more integrations with other content management systems but they keep improving every day!

ConvertKit , Mailchimp and AWeber

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

Price and ease of use. You shouldn't need a course to be able to understand how to use your email management service.
Alex

5/5 Definitely Recommend

Reviewed on 11/06/2023

Pros

What got me into using EmailOctopus was initially the low fee. Compared to similar products/services, EmailOctopus is the cheapest. Since I've incorporated the tool into my business, I have been very happy. The ease of use and the smooth setup with other tools such as Zapier and GravityForms makes this a no-brainer. Additionally, customer service is fast to reply and helpful. I highly recommend EmailOctopus!

Cons

Honestly, there are no cons. The UI/UX is smooth and there are how-to guides for everything.

Constant Contact and Mailchimp