WebTitan

DNS-based web filter, malware/phishing protection & security

4.4/5
4.2/5
4.3/5
4.5/5

Mark H.
  • Industry: Hospitality

No IT staff - need to still monitor end clients this is for you

Reviewed on 21/08/2021

All positive - I love that we spoke to real people, no phone tag. They have been nothing but responsive when we installed and created our account.

Very positive and I highly recommend them!

Pros

We have used similar products but they kept changing the product and increasing the cost, they would have no customer support and you could not even email them. WebTitan has excellent support and service, they helped us set it up, configure it, and install it. They are super responsive on email their products works for exactly what we want it to do. It was the best solution for us to monitor some end clients without limiting the rest of the network or having something we could not easily access. For us it is the prefect product, something non-IT staff can set up monitor and use daily to limit risks by a completely open internet policy. This was exactly what we needed!

Cons

My only gripe would be that the install for the OTA product is a little tricky to install. Not super hard but an app or something that is easy would have been preferred, so it kind of makes a one man band kind of set up. Of course, we could have installed it on the whole network but that was what we were trying to avoid a complex install that only our network people could really set up and deploy.

Brad L.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Very pleasant experience.

Reviewed on 8/07/2021

The software is inexpensive compared to competitors, but does not lack in functionality, design, administration, and customer service. The roll-out was simple to both Mac and PC users. The reporting and dashboards are very informative and easy to understand. I am very pleased overall with this product.

Pros

The admin console for this product is simple, informative, and easy to navigate.

Cons

We had issues integrating with our existing endpoint protection software for our Mac users.

Reasons for Choosing WebTitan

Cost and ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to WebTitan

WebTitan is a better fit than Cisco Umbrella for us due to cost, ease of use, and is not an overkill of functionality for our business needs.
Jill W.

WebTitan Performance

Reviewed on 16/07/2021

So far so good!

Pros

Recently switched from an appliance system to WebTitan. I love the cloud setup!

Cons

If I had one thing I wish I could do, it would be to copy an existing policy to create a new one. In some instances I want to create a specific policy for a team with only one or two changes from the base policy. Would make it easier than having to recreate the whole thing each time.

Stan Y.

As easy as advertised

Reviewed on 8/07/2021

It does the job.

Pros

Most certainly the ease of deployment. Just change some DNS and/or DHCP settings and the firewall to use this DNS server instead of the "defaults" and you are started. Then a few checkboxes to decide what to filter.

Cons

The reports are nothing to write home about, and since I do not plan on actively monitoring the DNS requests, the reports would be a nice way to get a weekly summary. Likewise with the "alert emails" -- these rapidly become noise and you have to turn them off.

Reasons for Switching to WebTitan

Cisco is out of our league. WebTitan is the better fit
Henry M.

Positive experience

Reviewed on 6/11/2020

My overall experience with the software is very positive as with the whole site on one blocking system, but with instant access for staff with their PIN codes, it is a very quick, easy system to use. The main issue being end users keeping their PIN secure, however it is easy to see when the PINs were used and who they are linked too.

Pros

When using tis software in education, it can be difficult with blocks and filters. As an admin, you have to constantly add websites to black and white lists to block and allow a variety of different sites. As well as the usual block all that contain.....you can select individual sites, however with the function of adding a PIN for staff to allow then access to a site for an hour, this takes the workload off myself, but allows the teacher to get on with the task at and not disrupt the teaching of the student.

Cons

With the initial set up of the software, we had some teething problems, but the support staff were very useful in supporting the setup. The layout of the portal itself is a bit "all over the place" and not as logical as I would hope, but after a few clicks and getting use to the interface, you can do everything you need it to do.

Syazila R.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Really excellent in securing internet activity

Reviewed on 24/06/2021

WebTitan is my fast solutions for securing and shielding my internet connection health and preventing my computer from any attacks from spam and malicious attack.

Pros

I really like that WebTitan is working for me both for my work computer and my personal computer. It help me filtering the internet activities and blocking any suspicious traffic that my computer connect on. The GUI is really easy for a non technical user to implementing it in their system.

Cons

WebTitan support team is really passive and lacks of medium that they offer for us to connecting with them. I can only contacting them by email, and no other medium are available like phone number or live chat are supported. They should improve their support option.

Brian M.
  • Industry: Insurance

Webtitan Cloud Good For the Cost

Reviewed on 5/11/2020

Inherited product when starting new position, overall happy with the product and cost is on the low side. Features seem to be better in some of the other offerings we are evaluating, Cisco Umbrella as an example.

Pros

Cloud based management with proxies onsite. Easy to change rules and allow one time access to blocked sites for approved use. Logging is good.

Cons

Remote users, laptops and home users are not protected when off company network. Relying on the proxy servers as dns servers works great when onsite. Has a hard time with Remote Desktop Servers, identifying users... these may be misconfigurations but we have not found an easy way for their WADA to break out RDS users.

Michael K.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Solid product that has the functionality we need to keep the bad stuff out.

Reviewed on 6/02/2018

Easy to use, yet does a great job in stopping most of the bad stuff through.

Pros

The level of protection against the bad emails that are floating around. The software is easy to use and configure based on what our evolving needs are. Over the years of use, I'm happy we made the switch from the previous software to Spam Titan.

Cons

I found that the factory defaults were perhaps a little too restrictive to begin with, which resulted in some false positives. However, tweaking the threshold values was relatively easy in order to make the false positives disappear and get the emails we wanted to receive.

Gregory B.
  • Industry: Legal Services

We used it as our proxy server and it was helpful in looking at useless traffic.

Reviewed on 6/02/2018

A web proxy is a 'must have' piece of IT infrastructure today.

Pros

Fairly easy to use - the interface is ok and similar to SPAMTitan. We were very satisfied with SPAMTitan and so we also then went with WebTitan. Both products are still being employed today. Because of WebTitan we banned music streaming which was killing Internet bandwidth.

Cons

Not so much a complaint but observation: there has not been any update to the product in a long time. This may in fact be a good thing, but i wonder if also it might be a lack of commitment? The same is true for SPAMTitan.

We have been using WebTitan for 4 years now, it works and the customer support is good

Reviewed on 7/02/2018

The product helped us filter out dangerous websites and keep our workstations virus free.

Pros

It's easy to install and configure. Administering it is an easy task, as you can generate reports and make change very fast and easy. The customer support team responds very quickly to your service requests and is quite knowledgeable.

Cons

We had a physical problem with our server and we had to reinstall on a new machine. Backups from v4 were not compatible with v5 of the software, so we had to reconfigure the webtitan instace manually from scratch.

Todd R.
  • Industry: Higher Education

I am liking it a lot better than Umbrella by Cisco, which we were previously using.

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

It is already saving me a lot of time.

Pros

The simple interface is the best feature. When Cisco bought OpenDNS, they revamped the UI to make it look "modern", but they also made it a lot slower to use and find the info you need. With WebTitan, I am finding that I can log in, quickly look for blocked users, check their individual traffic, and get out in less than 5 minutes. With Umbrella (formerly known as OpenDNS), I just wasn't even bothering to look at traffic because the experience was frustrating. Now with WebTitan, I am finding that I am using it daily again because it is quick and easy to use and doesn't make me feel like I am fighting with the UI.

Cons

The only minor complaint I have so far is that I wish the Reporting tab had an option to consolidate hits by domain name. When I am looking at traffic for a single user, it would be very helpful to just click that and see 1 line per domain that they visited rather than a separate line per hit to that domain. I know I can probably write a macro to do it in the CSV file, but being able to do this in the web UI would be amazing.

• Industry: Insurance

Out of the box web filtering solution

Reviewed on 15/05/2018

Pros

Good real-time reporting
HR can can be given a role to maintain blacklists/white-lists/individual user permissions
Customization - time of day, categories etc
AD integration - reports on the user rather than IP address
Great support

Cons

No viable cloud solution yet to report back based on user (just reports on IP address)
Trouble implementing or upgrading with a complex internal domain

Keith J.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Overall its been good

Reviewed on 6/02/2018

Filtering users from bad websites and ease of usage

Pros

Its easy to use . Web filtering is easy to turn on and off. User imports are simple too. Customer support is been good.

Cons

The reporting part is not nearly as good as Websense product was. Its not even close. . Also we cannot filter individual users for more than 1 ip address to bypass the filtering which is a big pain point for us.

James M.

We've been a WebTitan customer for 5+ years now. Great solution for our small office!

Reviewed on 9/02/2018

Pros

- Visibility; reports, history etc
- Support; fantastic response time and one on one help
- Active Directory integration
- Ease of set up and implementation
- Quick method to white-list sites

Cons

- Needs request reboots to keep things working well
- Some HTTP 1.1 sites simply will not work, even via bypass

Robert V.

Great Web Content Software

Reviewed on 5/04/2019

It has been great so far. I have been working with their rep on setup and he has been great starting with the demo all the way through setup and even helping trouble shoot minor issues I've had. I am very happy to have found TitanHQ and very happy to use the product.

Pros

I really enjoy using WebTitan software because it is extremely user friendly. Before making the purchase I was given a demo and free access to WebTitan and I was able to pick it up instantly. I really like the homepage for WebTitan which is a nice snap shot of the current web landscape of our company. It shows all of the allowed connections and blocked connections which is nice. This makes it easy to monitor our company in one easy dashboard. The reporting feature was another addition that keep me informed on the spot anytime someone attempts to access a website they shouldn't. Also being able to customize what we block is easy and simple and we also have the ability to white list websites that are under a blocked category.

Cons

There isn't anything I dislike about WebTitan but the only thing that can become tedious is there is no home button when in another tab like the Policies tab. If I am in the policies tab I cannot get back 'Home' without editing the URL address. Certainly not something I dislike but something I would like to see enhanced at some point.

Barry C.

Setup was completed very quickly, end users didn't even noticed the changed

Reviewed on 20/12/2017

Pros

Easy to set up and manage, can filter by user, group or IP address. Customer service is excellent and they helped us set up the product very quickly, any config issues were resolved within hours. Reports are very good and quick to run. Very low maintenance once set up

Cons

Could have easier to read logs to identify issues as we like to try resolve issues ourselves, other than that we are happy with the product

Adrian W.

Great filtering of spam... a little cumbersome to use though.

Reviewed on 6/02/2018

We have reduced our amount of incoming spam messages to almost zero.

Pros

The catch rate is spectacular and seems to be getting better every day. We get very few false-positives, if any.

Cons

The user interface is very slow and not very user friendly or intuitive. The fact that we have to have two separate logins for incoming and outgoing services is also a little frustrating.

Easy to use and to setup

Reviewed on 9/02/2018

Pros

- simple to use no hidden options
- easy to install and very fast
- lots of customizations can create sub admin accounts so client can manage their own domains
- easy to track emails

Steve L.

Not bad

Reviewed on 31/08/2020

Pros

Implementation is easy, adding sites to the white/blacklist is simple. Creating policies is overall pretty smooth, have had to contact support a couple of times.

Cons

The DNS Proxy is another annoying black box VM to have to "maintain".

Zscaler

Reasons for Choosing WebTitan

Sophos Web Gateway went EOL

Reasons for Switching to WebTitan

Much lower price, a simpler product that did what we wanted.
Ted R.

WTC software is fairly stable and solid, customer service is excellent, price is reasonable

Reviewed on 6/02/2018

Pros

Relative ease of deployment and administration
Software works reliably
The company, customer service and development team has been good to work with
Licensing reasonably priced

Cons

Interface and feature set is rough around the edges
Reporting features are weaker than they could be

Carlos A.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Amazing Product

Reviewed on 6/02/2018

Pros

Ease of Use and design flow. Vary understandable product and most effective. Would recommend this to anyone.

Cons

Nothing Really. It is a complete package.
Support services can be a bit faster in their response but once communication is established problems get solved.

Corey K.

Very easy to use and setup and it has plenty of Power.

Reviewed on 6/02/2018

Pros

The ability to set up web filtering very quickly is pretty awesome and a must for Managed Services Providers to its customer.

Cons

Almost too easy and need to have a way to add advanced filters easily overall no real cons the product is best in class.

Saleh B.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

We were safe from Ransomware worst hits and our email accounts very clean of any illegitimate...

Reviewed on 12/02/2018

Pros

Multi layered filtering techniques and automated setup let you start directly with minimal configurations.

Cons

Sometimes defining Filter Roles requires some sort of knowledge on information security techniques.

Sergio B.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Opinion WebTitan

Reviewed on 11/12/2018

In my organization we can solve very problems with internet traffic, it is fully functional WebTitan.

Pros

I like everything on Webtitan, the policies, the filters, the features of wpad, the reports, maybe has no something bad on it.

Cons

Sometimes the support is very slow, but when you can contact with them all the features are really easy.

• Industry: Defense & Space

GREAT customer support, fulfilled the intended use.

Reviewed on 19/01/2018

Pros

This is an excellent piece of software for companies to manage the websites their users are visiting. It prevents malware as well. The user interface is fairly easy to use and the installation is quick and user-friendly. There is not really much maintenance required, only to whitelist or blacklist certain sites (as addressed below). Great product overall!

Cons

There are some websites that get blocked that shouldn't, and other websites slip by that shouldn't. I imagine this is not the hardest fix and that the team will be working on small issues like this. There is a blacklist and whitelist feature that will fix these issues on an individual basis as well.