4,686 reviews

Venmo

Digital wallet & mobile payment gateway

4.8 /5 (4686 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
4.5
4,686 reviews
Nathan L.
Industry: E-Learning
Company size: Self Employed

Why Would You Pay Another Way?

Reviewed on 24/04/2020

Fantastic. It gets the job done effortlessly.

Pros

It is so easy to make payments it's insane. This little app can do anything from splitting checks to invoicing freelance jobs.

Cons

There isn't much I don't like about Venmo. The social side of it is okay and I don't care much about that part since I like to keep my payments private.

Lauren H.
Industry: Consumer Services

Simple & Efficient

Reviewed on 7/10/2020

Venmo has made it easier for me to make transfers and send money electronically and securely for years. I love that I can all of the things that I would do at a normal bank directly from my mobile device or computer without having to get in line at the bank. It's safe and convenient and most of all, it's user friendly. My 86 year old grandmother uses Venmo!

Pros

Venmo offers money transfers and banking options at your fingertips. You can use the application on a mobile device and that makes it even easier to transfer/send money & invoices as well as check balances with just a few clicks of a button.

Cons

There are not any dislikes that I have about this software at this time. I have not had any internal complaints with it at my company.

Easy Payment Method

Reviewed on 28/09/2020

It is also great for getting reimbursed for rebates. For examples, earlier this year, I bought a case of Vizzy Hard Seltzer and received the rebate through Venmo. I like the idea of receiving a quick rebate via Venmo, as opposed to the archaic and tedious process of mail-in rebates.

Pros

Venmo can be used for a variety of things- from paying for your rent to getting paid for items that you are selling. As a student, I sell my old books to students in the class below me and they pay me via venmo.

Cons

I don't know how to make it so that my transactions are hidden from other people. I am a private person and dont really like other people knowing who paid me and who I am paying for goods/services.

Sometimes it is difficult to find the people you are looking to pay on venmo. If you type in a name, a list of 8+ names with a different combination of spacing, capitalization and numbers shows up.

Stephanie F.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Venmo customer review

Reviewed on 26/01/2020

My overall experience with Venmo has been amazing. Now that I am so familiar with this app I can have my customers pay me that way with no extra charges or hidden fees - which in return have boosted my sales in my business. I have also recently had to deal with customer service due to charges on my Venmo card that were not me, and customer service was so amazing to work with. They figured out the problem, and had my money back in just a few days. Loved dealing with such helpful people who truly cared about my problem.

Pros

I love Venmo for many reasons, but one of my favorites is that they offer a debit card to use for your Venmo account. It is so nice being able to use money I have in my Venmo out at a store, on top of shopping online. The reload feature makes it even easier to use my card out at stores even if I dont have enough in my actual Venmo account it will then take from my bank account, but the fact that I can turn relaods off at any time I want makes this app perfection for me!

Cons

I honestly dont have any complaints at all about this software at this time - BEFORE I got my Venmo debit card my only complaint was that some stores online dont offer paying with Venmo, but now that i have the card the stores that dont specifically list "Venmo" as a payment method I just put my card number in. So, easy fix.

Clark A.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Easy Money Transfer

Reviewed on 19/10/2019

Venmo has been a great tool for my family to easily send money to each other, especially in a day and age where hardly anyone carries cash.

Pros

Venmo makes it extremely easy to send someone money instantly. I use it to pay my niece to cut my hair. My sister-in-law uses it to pay me for mowing their lawn. I can easily send or collect money from my siblings who live all across the country. I have also used it to collect donations from coworkers to buy flowers for a funeral. Depositing the money in your bank account is fast and easy too.

Cons

Once you send the money, you can't get it back or dispute the transaction. Venmo says it is for friends and family only and should not be used with strangers. You can request money, but people don't have to pay back. Many people use Venmo on virtual yard sales, but it is a risk to take because Venmo won't investigate fraud. One of my biggest complaints about Venmo is that a bank account can only be linked to one user. So my wife can only access our joint bank account. If someone sends me money, I have to send it to my wife first before we can deposit the money.

Jared M.

Venmo User Review

Reviewed on 6/01/2021

Venmo has made using multiple credit cards for a purchase obsolete. It has also allowed traditionally cash only transactions to be completed digitally. This app has reduced the need for me to carry cash.

Pros

Convenience is the best thing about venmo, almost all of my friends have the app and it makes sending money quick and easy. You can quickly transfer your venmo balance into your bank account which enables me to split bills with friends when doing a group activity or are out to dinner.

Cons

The worst part about venmo is that once a payment has been sent, the payment is final. Venmo has built in some features to prevent users from paying the wrong person, but it still leaves this payment system open to fraud. Someone can promise to do something for a venmo payment and not provide the goods/services, but still keep the payment as venmo will not help the sender recover the funds.

Venmo is Modern

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 29/07/2019

Overall my experience with Venmo has been convenient and I use it frequently. I think it is kind of cool how it literally brings people together because people will stand together and huddle around their phones sharing user names and get all excited and cheer when the payment goes through.

Pros

Venmo is such a convenient and modern way to send money. Rather than having to stop by the ATM to get cash anymore to pay a friend, it is possible to do it right from your fingertips by simply downloading the app and linking it to your bank/debit card. I love Venmo because my friends and I are always paying for each other or buying things from each other, and in group settings there's no more excuse for that one friend who always says they "don't have cash" anymore as an excuse! I feel like Venmo keeps things fair and quick and easy. I love that you can instantly pay someone and that you can receive cash, and use that balance to pay others or transfer it quickly to your banks. I also enjoy the social media aspect and the "timeline" keeps things interesting and makes you feel like you are connected and are able to see what other's have been up to! On the flip side, I appreciate that there is an option to keep your payment private. I also think it's cute we must leave a reason for the payment, because I find people utilize that as a way to leave a sweet note for a friend too! Overall I think Venmo is the modern way to pay, and really decreases the need to stop by the ATM. Super convenient and I always recommend this to my friends and family to keep things simple!

Cons

Sometimes the requirement to list the reason for the payment is a little bit annoying because once you have typed the amount a user's next instinct is to just hit "send" but then you are stopped and the flow gets interrupted since we have to write why. I usually just leave an emoji or something random or a cute note for the friend if I am in the mood. It is not major, but it does get annoying when you just want to pay someone and move on in the flow. Also I'm not sure why it's anyone's business to know what the payment is for!

Danielle S.
Industry: E-Learning
Company size: Self Employed

LOVE Venmo - game changer!

Reviewed on 30/06/2020

I literally use Venmo almost daily to pay people, get paid for both business and personal use, and love how easy and fast it is.

Pros

It is so easy to use, almost everyone has it, and I no longer need to uncomfortably follow up with people to be paid. Rather, I can just send a Venmo request for funds and a follow up request if needed.

Cons

I can only send one follow up request for money, it would be nice to have the option to send it more times.

Charron S.
Industry: Entertainment

Venmo is the way to go

Reviewed on 13/01/2021

I like my overall experience with Venmo. I mean the social part is unnecessary but not having finance charges makes it enjoyable.

Pros

I use Venmo as a payment option to my clients. I am able to get money transfer fast and consistent. Plus, I carry a Venmo Debit Card so I can purchase gas or other items I am working mobile. Some of these purchases have a cash back reward.

Cons

I don't care much for the waiting time when doing a bank transfer. they normally take 1 to 3 business days. Plus, don't transfer on a weekend, you won't see until tuesday or wednesday.

Jenny C.
Industry: Human Resources

Easy way to send money

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 6/01/2021

Overall, Venmo has been great and I've used it for many years with my co-workers, family and friends. It is a quick and secure way to send/request money without worrying about having different bank accounts. I also like that there are no hidden fees and that transferring balances has been quick/easy. I highly recommend Venmo!

Pros

Venmo provides an easy and efficient way to pay or request money from someone without the trouble of specific bank fees. For example, I have a Chase account however my friends use TD bank. There is no easy way to transfer money from Chase bank to TD bank but Venmo is the perfect liaison for that. It also allows you to request money and there are reminders to remind the person that they have not yet sent their money to you. The app itself is very easy to use as well. On the bottom of the app, you have a QR scan code to directly pay the person that you intend to send money to which helps with security issues as usernames can be similar if you have the same first and last name. In addition, Venmo has an additional security feature that requires a persons last four digits of their phone number if you have never sent money to that person before. It also does not require a specific amount to transfer your balance to your bank account. Some other applications require a $5 or $10 balance in order to transfer your money to your bank account. Honestly, Venmo has many great features and convenient!

Cons

Recently, I got an email from Venmo requiring me to verify my identity with some steps however when I tried to follow the directions of going into Settings, there was no option to "verify" my identity. It may have been a glitch or it may have been a feature that is testing. Venmo should clarify this. I have tried to look for support with no one responding to my inquiry. So their customer support is not the best.

Ramon V.

Best virtual wallet

Reviewed on 8/08/2020

Many banks have apps that let you send money between accounts at that bank, but Venmo is great because it lets you link all of the cards and accounts that you use and you can exchange funds with anyone, no matter what they are using on their end.

Pros

You can send money to anyone from a bank account or a card and they can then add it to any bank account or debit card. You can also get a debit card that draws from your Venmo balance until it runs out, and then charges whatever you set as a backup. You can also use that card to withdraw cash for free from a ton of ATM's at different banks all over the country.

Cons

You have to pay a fee to send money immediately from Venmo to your checking account, but it is free if you are willing to wait 1 to 3 business days and my transfers usually go through overnight.

Matthew B.

Simply the Best!

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

I really enjoy Venmo. We use it mostly for food and drinks with friends or at work (have someone order doordash for everyone and pay them back through Venmo) or collecting fantasy football league fees, etc.

Pros

This is hands down the best software I have used to sending and receiving money from friends, family, etc. I used Paypal, Zelle, and a few other products, but definitely prefer Venmo. My wife and I use this at least a few times a week (it can make splitting a bill or paying someone back so much easier).

Cons

The only issues I've run into with this software is that occasionally the connection you create with your bank account or debit card will fail, causing you to have to go back and reconnect it manually. It's not the end of the world, but it's happened enough that it's mildly inconvenient.

Chris W.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Venmo is a godsend in our office

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

Overall I love this product and will continue to advocate for its use. This makes moving money around easy and at minimal cost.

Pros

We often send 1 of our agents out on a lunch run. To many times one of us forgets our wallets or something, but with venmo that isn't an issue. I use it to send money to my son, I use it to send money to coworkers, I even got the card option and use it on a regular basis just as a means to control spending.

Cons

I've been an advocate for Venmo from the moment I downloaded it. My only issue so far with the product is that I was unable to use my venmo card overseas even at an ATM.

Kalin H.

Very Useful for Personal Transactions

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Venmo makes personal transactions extremely simple and convenient. This software completely eliminates the need for cash or checkbooks in making personal transactions with other people. The best part is that it works on your phone, meaning you have one less thing to carry around with you at all times. My pocket space is thankful for the invention of Venmo.

Pros

I love how easy this software is to use. I never worry about having to carry cash anymore because I can simply pay people electronically with Venmo. This software has become so widespread that most people have heard of it and have an account. This makes personal transactions of all types very smooth and simple. Even if making a transaction with a stranger, finding their profile is easy with the built-in personal QR code and scanner that the software includes.

Cons

Although I have used the software for a long time, I am still a little wary of it due to security issues I have heard about. One of my relatives had his account hacked and lost a decent amount of money, which he was not able to get back. While the software experience of the application is great, I would feel a lot more at ease if I knew the company had security that could eliminate the possibility of hacking. That or guaranteed insurance of funds would erase any hesitancy I have to recommend this software and company.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Courtney W.
Industry: Veterinary

The Best Around

Reviewed on 27/07/2019

Pros

Venmo is my absolute favorite platform for sending and receiving money. It has a simple setup process and even provides you with a debit card if desired. Transfers to friends and from clients is fast and reliable. The app layout is intuitive and aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

I don't always receive notifications when I get a payment. This can be an inconveince at times.

Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Essential app for sending/receiving cash, splitting checks

Reviewed on 19/04/2019

Pros

I remember back before Venmo existed, splitting checks at the restaurant was a pain in the butt for everyone involved. Now that all my friends have Venmo, it is a simple task to split up the bill and receive or send payments instantly. You can also request money from other users on the app, so I also use it to charge my roommate for rent and utilities. There is an even a function on the app that enables you to make simple calculations. If you want to send money to a friend privately, you can choose to do so. The bank cash out process usually takes around 3 days, which isn't bad at all. Since I use it so frequently, I usually have some money in my Venmo account, so it acts as a mini-bank account for me to give and receive small sums of money.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about this software. It makes me life so much easier.

Richelle B.
Industry: Fund-Raising

Reviewed on 6/08/2019

Overall my experience I has been positive with Venmo and prefer this app over cashapp.

Pros

Venmo is a great way to send money to individuals in real time that can directly be deposited or withdrawn from your account. It is awesome that you can select who gets to view your transactions and that you can request money from individuals. Another pro is they send you monthly and yearly transactions reports.

Cons

One huge con is if you mess up the account information once you can no longer use that account again. This happened with my checking account and I had to use my savings account until they allowed debit cards to be used for both withdrawal & deposits. I do not love the new processing fee feature to deposit money in right away. The fee is not a lot if the amount is small but if you have larger amounts of money (say for rent or buying a larger item) the fee is 10 % I believe.

Ana P.
Industry: Consumer Goods

Useful for everyday living

Reviewed on 1/05/2019

Venmo has transformed the way I pay my friends on nights out or even during afternoons at work. Forgetting my wallet is not the end of the world anymore and transferring money from my Venmo account to my bank is easy and free. In addition, Venmo has improved group planning events as it is easy to collect money from friends through the application.

Pros

What I like the most about this software is the easiness of use and convenience it provides. Whenever I am out with my coworkers or friends and forget my wallet, I can easily sign in to my Venmo account and pay them without having any extra fees for making payments. I also really like the fact that I can transfer my Venmo balance to my bank account within 3-5 days without any extra charge.

Cons

I really do not have any cons about this software. It is very easy to use and it is very convenient. I use it for different occasions, whether it is with friends or colleagues at work.

Manali S.

Venmo Review

Reviewed on 30/09/2020

Love using Venmo

Pros

Venmo is one of the best transactions software I have come across. From the ease of connecting your bank accounts to the ease of transferring your money back to the bank, the whole process is impeccable. Venmo has made money transactions a fun activity.

Cons

I dont have many negative views. However, sometimes my bank account get delinked from the app and I have to relink it.

Industry: Law Practice
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Convenient, Fast, Easy

Reviewed on 19/04/2020

I love using venmo. All my friends and family use venmo and its a great, quick, easy way to transfer money.

Pros

Venmo provides the option to either pay an individual or to request money from an individual. It is easy to link your debit card to the app and money can be withdrawn or added easily and within 24 hours into your bank account! I have used this for rent, sending money for birthday gifts, and many other ways. And it is free! This is the best free app to use to transfer money between people!!!

Cons

If you want instant money in your account, venmo does charge a certain percent. I never opt for this option since it is usually deposited within 24 hours anyway. I can see how this can be a con for people who want to see their money right away.

Jennifer A.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Everyone Should be Using Venmo

Reviewed on 29/02/2020

Venmo has made transferring money easy in both my personal and business lives.

Pros

My friends and I call Venmo our "fun money" account. Having the ability to easily move and share money between accounts and friends has made life so much easier. I so rarely carry cash and can't always offer to put the entire bill on my card. So many outings have been made more relaxing because of Venmo. We simply transfer money among each other and sort things out in the moment rather than having to run to ATMs or pay with multiple credit cards.

As for my business, because Venmo doesn't charge any fees, it has become easier to accept payments while outdoors. Instead of having to deal with cash that could easily fly away or become stolen, clients pay me on-site via Venmo. I no longer have to carry a cash purse and change. It has simplified running the financial side of my business.

Cons

I can't complain about anything. Venmo is overall a great product. I haven't yet used the credit card aspect, but can assume that it is just as simple as bank transfers.

Frank R.
Industry: Hospitality

No-hassle money transfer tool that's easy to understand

Reviewed on 9/02/2019

Overall, it's no surprise why Venmo has gotten so much traction and was eventually acquired by PayPal. It makes money transfer easier and more fun than PayPal had ever been. Now with Paypal's heft, we should see a steady stream of improvements. Their recent debit card release is proof of that.

Pros

Venmo make it easy to send over money in just a few clicks without having to dig into menus or settings. For frequent contacts, it's even faster. The feed, while not for everyone, allows you to quickly see what you and your friends have transferred, along with helpful descriptions that are heavy on emojis. Finally, setting up a bank account and eventually withdrawing money to that bank account are simple. For those wanting immediate withdrawals, Venmo offers that for an extra fee.

Cons

For those that are't as keen on the social feature, there's no real way to turn it off. You do have the option of making all of your transfers private, but the feed is still there. Would be great if in addition to your personal feed, there were better reporting tools in the app. Finally, the immediate transfer option was formerly 25 cents, but it's now 1% of the amount, which doesn't make it practical unless there's an urgent need.

Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 15/04/2019

For a basically free service, Venmo has been fantastic. The small fees for an instant transfer is usually no hassle and it makes sending money a breeze. I just wish it were compatible with non-US accounts.

Pros

Venmo makes it super easy to pay back friends and family for covering something for you or lending you money. It's also great for splitting bills and keeping people accountable for what they owe/what you owe. The stream of activity allows you to keep track of where money has gone and come from and what for. It's a very intuitive user interface with simple use. Having a venmo card is great for when you don't have the time (or maybe don't have your phone) to be able to transfer the money. Works just like a debit card would at retailers and is completely free to get!

Cons

Non-US accounts cannot be connected to the app thus forcing people to go to PayPal in certain instances and it makes money sharing with long-distance family nearly impossible. The fee for instant transfer to debit has also increased which is just a tad annoying because larger amounts cost more to transfer or you have to wait a couple days and sometimes that's not an option in case of emergency.

Leslie S.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Venmo is the BEST!!

Reviewed on 31/03/2020

My overall experience with Venmo was PERFECT!! Love it and will continue using it for a very long time!!

Pros

Venmo is very easy to use!! Especially for someone who is not very technical or savvy with technology.

Cons

Venmo is perfect!! There is not anything I didn’t like about it. I was very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone.

Industry: Design

Great App - Powered By PayPal - Very Secure & Easy To Use

Reviewed on 16/04/2019

I think everyone should have a venmo. It's a very great tool for quick transfers and for an additional bank account that is practically free.

Pros

Venmo is absolutely great for quick, cheap, and easy transfers for money to friends. For business conferences where we have to split a ride or hotel, using venmo makes it extremely easy to keep track of expenses, and transactions. They also now have their own debit cards with many perks. Since its powered by Paypal its very secure which is important to me.

Cons

The only con is for businesses that use PayPal as a payment processing system, it would be great to see a way to transfer the funds into the PayPal account since they are powered by PayPal. This would just add one more easy way clients can pay and make it a step easier for business owners.