Square for Retail Reviews

Square for Retail

Write a Review!
POS & inventory management for retail businesses

4.5/5
4.6/5
4.7/5
4.4/5

Maddie
Maddie

Square for small business retail

Reviewed on 22/08/2018

Square was a cheap way for me to reach a larger demographic of people at the markets, it adds to my business's professionalism and I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros

I love the convenience of swiping a card, I love that it pays out quickly (far quicker than over my website) and it keeps peoples information from past square interactions they've done so you can send them a receipt.

Cons

I would love to have an offline setting so it could save the cards and charge when you reconnect. I don't always have a connection at the markets I'm working. I'm working currently with the smallest square phone connection so I also look forward to updating to the version that accepts debit cards too

Daniel

Excellent Software with Hardware Shortcomings

Reviewed on 29/04/2021

Overall, Square for Retail is a powerful software that allows you to take sales portably with a very small footprint. However, the hardware has catching up to do.

Pros

Square easily handles transactions for our church book stall. It provides up-to-date inventory and online reporting for tax purposes. You can easily add sales, promotions, and other tailor-made functions.

Cons

What I like least about this software is the hardware. We utilize the Square Terminal, which was attractive as a portable register in that it takes credit cards via swipe and chip, but also prints receipts. The optional scanner is even nicer to use. However, for the scanner to work, the terminal must be plugged into an outlet, which robs it of its portable nature. Additionally, adding inventory via the Terminal is cumbersome and slow. Imagine typing in inventory titles using a small smart phone that is slower than a smart phone.

Clover

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

Square for Retail was a more reputable brand with better rates via the Terminal and had more attractive hardware in its Terminal product.
Carrie

Terrible Customer Service

Reviewed on 16/11/2022

Square has served it's purpose and opened a new way for transaction processing. Luckily there are now many other options.

Pros

Simple enough to add products and check out.

Cons

After using square POS for a few years, we switched to Shopify bc we also had an online store and needed to consolidate systems. We continued to pay for Square for a year although we were no longer using the system for anything other than to access old orders. When our office manager canceled the paid account, Square no longer allowed us to access the account at all. Our office manager spent several hours and finally got access. We were not informed that all other user accounts would be closed and that the only way to access old records would be through the owner email account. I called square to ask about being locked out of my account and the customer service rep ([SENSITIVE CONTENT]?) was incredibly rude, unhelpful, and sarcastic. I'm happy that we no longer use Square solely based on the customer service. Additionally, the processing fees went up drastically for us when we began offering one CBD product (THC free) out of several hundred products in our store.

Dannyelle
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Online Ordering through Retail

Reviewed on 5/04/2023

Overall great, we use Square throughout our business and it covers our bases. A few flaws that can get frustrating here and there in the matter of being able to customize things to do exactly what we need it to be, but overall it's pretty good!

Pros

We specifically use Square for Restaurants POS system for our taproom system, which also ties into our mobile payments, but we do use Square for Retail as the basis for our online ordering page through Wix, as it works best for hosting that site for orders. It works great, we can track inventory and orders and such, it does what we need it to do!

Cons

Honestly, the only thing I wish was different was that we didn't have to use Retail and could just use Restaurants for our online ordering, but the retails works for it better and it functions so it's fine.

Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

We were already using Square for ever other aspect of our business, so honestly, it makes sense!
Eric
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Small little POS at your finger tips

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

Its what we needed in a pinch to get sales orders working on the field at events. It worked well for conferences and venues.

Pros

It was easy to setup and start using when you need it. You connect it to your phone and use it as a normal POS you would in a store

Cons

Support isn't always easy to get a hold of and it wouldn't integrate it with our system. This is more for small business use and not for tracking and reporting on analytics.

Shanna

Easy to Use / Track Sales!

Reviewed on 21/02/2022

Overall it is easy for all of our team members to use!

Overall it is easy for all of our team members to use!

Pros

We use square daily to keep track of sold items / integrate inventory / keep track of customers purchases.

Cons

We do not have any cons that come to mind!

Lynn
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great Mobile POS

Reviewed on 3/11/2022

Pros

Cost and set up were both affordable and easy, plus transactions were never an issue on any device or credit card. The processing fees were very reasonable for our use. The reporting features were very straight forward to implement in our CMS tools.

Cons

Nothing!!! Could not find an issue if we wanted to, the hardware and software worked flawlessly.

Laura
  • Industry: Entertainment

The best Point of Purchase credit card processing

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

I am very pleased with Square overall. Compact size, quick processing, and all of my customers are comfortable using it.

Pros

There are so many great features with the Square for retail. The ease of use is at the top of my list. It hooks up with my phone and never misses a beat.

Cons

I have not had any issues using this software. Even when I dont have a signal, it keeps the transaction in que and processes it when a signal is present.

Laly Noya
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Square for Retail

Reviewed on 28/11/2023

Since using Square for Retail my business has been running efficiently. Also, my customers are able to purchase without any hassle.

Pros

I love using Square for Retail software. This software makes it easier for my customers to shop.

Cons

I don’t dislike anything about using this software.

REBECCA
  • Industry: Automotive

SO SIMPLE TO GET STARTED

Reviewed on 25/01/2024

Pros

EASY AND USER FRIENDLY, SIMPLE TO DO NIGHTLY ACCOUNTING

Cons

THE RESET BUTTON IS ON A WEIRD SPOT. SOMETIMES IT TAKES A VERY LONG TIME TO PROCESS A CARD.

Itzak
  • Industry: Sports

Perfect POS for small business owners

Reviewed on 28/10/2021

Incredibly user friendly, nicely designed interface and overall no issues.

Incredibly user friendly, nicely designed interface and overall no issues.

Pros

Square pretty much takes all the leg work out of setting up a POS system for any business, but I'll speak specifically as a small business owner.
-If you're a first time small business owner, save yourself the headache and just go with Square; you might be able to get a lower merchant fees rate with another service, but then you have to deal with the hassle of setting up a separate POS register, possibly a separate app you'd have to setup on an iPad if that's what you plan to use, setting up the merchant account, etc. With Square, it's all wrapped into one easy setup.
-Easy to setup on an iPad, create a catalog of items to sell and process payments
-The item catalog screen is very user friendly and customizable
-Doing refunds is easy
-Reports are incredibly easy to run
-Square integrates with QuickBooks online, so it's been seamless to link all my Square sales to my accounting books and makes my tax filings much more accurate
-Creating invoices is also easy and gives a professional look to my invoice emails
-Ability to create forms that require signature, so no need for another digital signature service (unless you need more details, see Cons below)

Cons

-I wish you could have the same virtual terminal on the iPad on desktop as well. There have been times when my iPad crapped out and had to use my laptop, and it's not the same experience.
-If you're using the signature service for forms that you need to send out, it only records the signature itself and nothing else. Either it's a user error on my part, or they need to update it, but it needs more customization.

Keturah

Simple and easy to use

Reviewed on 18/06/2020

My experience with it has been very good. To the point that I have no need or desire to change it. I can save peoples data on file to make that easier for them. I can run necessary reports as needed. I could do more with it however we really don't have the need for it.

Pros

I use this for 2 purposes, 1) for our synagogue's gift shop and sales 2) as an option for our members to submit their tithes and offerings. I have both the simple square reader that I can use from my iphone as well as the stabilized system that holds the ipad with the card swiper and chip reader attachment. It is just so easy to use. I also like that the funds are moved to our accounts with out me having to move it or request it to be moved. I also like that the fee is taken out first then the amount is deposited rather that the full amound being deposited and a fee taken out monthly. It just simplifies it.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints about it. I have used it before in my personal business and recommended it for the synagogue. There was a time that you would have had to invest in a credit card machine that was much more expensive. I am glad that something like square came along.

Elizabeth

Square Payments Processing is a good credit card processing system

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Square is very convenient specially attending off-site events. We were able to get it up and going at any time. Other Points of Sales software is very clunky when it comes to a mobile application. Because of the versatility and ease of use, we do recommend it for small businesses.

Pros

Square is a payment processing system with supporting systems such as Point of Sale. We initially did the trial period to determine if it meets our requirements. It was very user-friendly and easy to use. The training was easy for the staff. If we had any issues, customer support from Square was always available. Sometimes we did have a short wait, but issues were always resolved.

Cons

Square didn't have a many features as other Point of Sales software. Reporting and analytics were pretty limited. The software did have some, but not as much as we needed.

Support was available, but sometimes we had to wait to get help.

Edgar
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Small business turned Large with Square

Reviewed on 11/01/2022

Square has helped my business scale to greater heights, more than I could have imagined. The POS is a great addition. My favorite feature is the management of customers, receipts, and automated thank you messages. If I was not using Square but ran into someone using it, I would surely be jumping ship.

Pros

Square is free and easy to maneuver. With no experience, Square appointments made it easy to start my business and manage it. Customers can book on the platform and I can manage appointments and inventory, as well as run my website.

Cons

Square is easily the first choice for anyone trying to start a business. However, some features may seem a challenge to access without any guidance or guide. An example is learning about taxes being applied the first time I used the POS system. Coincidentally, the party I was conducting business with was a tax-exempt business and I had no idea how to bypass the tax.

A great tool for any small business

Reviewed on 15/08/2018

Pros

Both interfaces are very easy to use. There are many features to make your business look professional, like sending receipts via email and text and asking for feedback after a transaction. Adding line items is very easy, which is convenient for businesses that are changing prices or items frequently.

Cons

As much as I love this product it could definitely still use some tweaking. The biggest complaint is the fact that you are forced to buy multiple card readers for your iPad because they stop reading cards after a while which subsequently forces you to enter the card manually which you are then charged more money for.

Kimberly
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Love it!

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

It's been great! No problem other than the name issue.

It's been great! No problem other than the name issue.

Pros

Super easy to use and phenomenal customer service! I've had it for 6 months and never had a problem with the software.

Cons

No cons except, there is no way to change your name with square. I got divorced and wanted to change my last name on square after I had it legally changed and they said I would have to start a new account from scratch. So now I'm stuck with that last name for my business.

Jay

Payments on the go!

Reviewed on 10/01/2022

Bang for buck this wins hands down and I recommend it for everyone, no more big expensive machines to carry around

Pros

Running a hire company, receiving payments on delivery is required on a daily, the square system is amazing can keep in your pocket and works every time. build quality is important it’s been dropped a few times and still works fine, also charge life is awesome, only needs charging every few months!

Cons

Fees, but you get fees with any eftpos option, bonus here is no monthly fee

Jessica

Simple to use, good interface

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

Pros

Its very simple to use and train new employees on. Reports are easy to run and can get most data that you need. Allows you to communicate with customers.
They are continuing evolving and adding new features.

Cons

Wish there was a way to take a deposit for future orders (placed online or on the phone) so the sales are applied to the date they are picked not the day we take the payment. For advance orders, available pick up times are based on your hours of operations. Wish we could limit that depending on what is being ordered.

Larry

No confusing statements

Reviewed on 10/06/2021

I am a mobile type business and also can easily take payment over the phone or easily swipe a card if available, without carrying around a very large terminal.

Pros

It is easy to use and I know exactly what my fees are going to be as it is not dependent on a certain type of card which may unknowingly charge me a higher rate. Overall the platform is easy to use.

Cons

I really don't have any thing bad to say about the software or platform except maybe I do wonder about if I ever have to contact customer service I have heard that is very hard to get problems addressed or make personal contact with a customer service representative.

Tammy

Square for Retail makes life simplier

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Square enables me to be able to sell remote without having to add pricey equipment.

Pros

We have used Square in our retail location for over 2 years now. We also utilize the system for mobile sales. We love being able to use one system for both. Square doesn't require extensive training and is self explanatory.

Cons

I would love to be able to text our customers to broadcast announcements, sales, etc. This is currently not an option which requires us to have additional third party software.

Van
  • Industry: Automotive

Clean And Easy

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

Square is great because it is universally recognized and people are comfortable using it to pay now. Overall the setup has been generally easy and straightforward. I'd definitely recommend it to any small business friends.

Pros

Super easy to use. Every kind of report that you can want is available.

Cons

I wish that the fee was a bit lower. The switch to a blue tooth card reader has been interesting. 1/10 times that I try and connect it takes extra time which is a pain if the customer is there waiting.

• Industry: Legal Services

Gets the Job Done

Reviewed on 16/08/2020

It easily satisfies our need for a payment processor, but we struggle to get it to do much more than that even after years of use. We've had trouble updating inventory and printing barcode labels. I'm not sure it justifies the monthly subscription price point.

Pros

Square is an easy payment processing solution that we have been able to integrate into our retail store operations. I appreciate that it can keep track of inventory, but the process of adding items can be overwhelming. It's big strength is in it's reporting functions and it's ability to easily track YoY.

Cons

We have a lot of glitches with the program, despite updates. We will have to restart and re-login. It is also difficult to add individual inventory items. Also the register display format is not customizable, you are limited to the defaults.

Brian

Great Cost Effective System for Small Business Use

Reviewed on 18/02/2022

We love this system and have had no issues. We've been using it for about 4 years and it has met every need, saving us time, and is cost-effective for the features it provides.

Pros

The ease of implementation of the square system was excellent. Once implemented, managing and controlling items and inventory is simple and efficient. The POS system is easy to manage and use, easy to train our staff on, and customizable for all of our needs. The reporting system gives us all the information we need to summarize our sales data, run sales tax reports, and more.

Cons

There is not much to not like. For our small business the software works wonderfully, if we had a large variety of items the POS system might get more complicated, but not for us.

Tin
  • Industry: Photography

Square

Reviewed on 10/08/2018

Pros

I love that it's so easy to send invoices in just a second! It keeps track of your clients names and client info, services, invoices etc which is such a timesaver! I can look st a glance and know what invoices have been paid and which ones need to send again.

Cons

I would love there to be a way to enter services in so you don't have to type it in each time when making an invoice.

chris

Very User Friendly and quick software

Reviewed on 23/08/2019

I use it for all my clients who want to pay for my services with a credit card. I have had no issues so far.

Pros

I liked the interface of the software. Very user friendly and easy to do transactions with. I also have used the manual entry multiple times with no problem.

Cons

I would say the only thing I dislike is the extra charge for instant deposit, that's it. Nothing else stands out to me.