Canopy

Write a Review!
Practice management software for accounting firms

4.2/5
4.3/5
4.5/5
4.4/5

Nishon
Nishon

Best Project Management Software

Reviewed on 5/01/2023

I absolutely love this software! I could not do my day to day without it. I use it for tracking my bookkeeping, corporate compliance tracking, tax return management, e-signatures, task management, emails, calendar, and fed and state forms.

Pros

I love the project management aspect and the all of the templates. Recurring task and notifications. Email capability.

Cons

I would love to see templates for e-signature email notifications, ability to turn on and off different payment methods

Response from Canopy

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback! We're excited to hear the impact Canopy is making at your firm.

John
  • Industry: Legal Services

Canopy is a good option- not sure if they are the best though.

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

On a scale of 1-10, I would say it is a 6.5 or a 7. There are many functions that make this very easy to use, however, as time passes the development team decides to take the ease of use and make it more challenging. Too much focus on making the interface "pretty" and not enough on actual items that make productivity better.

Pros

The product is simple to use. However, Canopy likes to make changes to items that do not need any changes. In doing so, they break their own system for several days and the new function isn't worth the hassle. Transcripts are now significantly more complicated and time-consuming to get to.

Cons

The fact that the backend team decides to make changes as to what they think is best for the client. Most of their changes do not have any positive effect on how we operate the practice and only make things more challenging and frustrating to use.

Josie

Disappointed

Reviewed on 6/12/2021

Canopy seems to have lost its way in regards to its purpose. Their response to issues is slow, at best. We have been using the software for almost 4 years and have made the painful decision to change due to a lack of support and increased pricing.

Pros

We liked the ability to access the software/information from anywhere.

Cons

The software does not allow you to export a sorted contact list. A very simple option that has been neglected.

Denise

Canopy Software

Reviewed on 24/05/2021

Pros

We loved the Emails, Task management & calendar are all in one software.

Cons

Canopy DOES NOT have our states so we can't do any returns, We don't like that the clients can't both sign their signature forms if they are married. We also didn't like that In the middle of tax season we had to go back to an old software because the desktop Assistant stopped working on us.

Amanda

Impressed Customer

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

It is so helpful in maintaining adequate project management and clear workflow for all staff.

Pros

Customer support. I have questions and suggestions all the time and I love that by using the chat support I get prompt answers and endless follow-up from support staff.

Cons

Transferring clients over created several duplicates and ultimately some lost information in the transition.

Tyler
  • Industry: Wholesale

Change for the Better!

Reviewed on 11/06/2022

My experience with Canopy is amazing I will never leave and i will invite all my friends and family

Pros

The thing that i liked the most about the software was that it was easy to use and it was also inexpensive.

Cons

I wish I could use more charts in the software but besides that it is amazing

Saliya

Why do you need Canopy?

Reviewed on 5/01/2023

Fantastic product!

Fantastic product!

Pros

Most important features are user friendly and easy to share within the own files, company team files and clients' files.When we are importing new zip files with multiple folders, I don't need to create new folders, file names etc. on my Canopy software create and save file where I need to store it.

Cons

When the client sharing folder has more documents, I noticed the speed has come down a little slower than normal.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback and we're excited to hear the impact Canopy is making at your firm.

Jessica
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Such a great option if you have the budget

Reviewed on 7/12/2021

I did the free trial and it was so nice to have all those features, but if you want to have access to everything you need to take out your wallet and pay a lot.

Pros

It's so easy to use, the interface is so slick and powerfull.

Cons

The price point is not for small tax practices just starting to build their portfolio on tax resolution

SmartVault

Reasons for Switching to Canopy

Its the top of the top in office management and tax resolution management but you're limited to the basic functions if your clientele is under 200 and after that you have to pay a high price.
marc

Grang Bang for the Buck

Reviewed on 27/09/2023

Pros

I love that Canopy had the ability to help me route my tasks properly and productively. I also LOVE that there is a firm facing iOS app. It helped me be portable!

Cons

My biggest issue with Canopy was the KBA and not being able to customize certain aspects of the recurring projects.

Kurt
Kurt

Constant Improvements

Reviewed on 22/05/2021

Canopy is very useful as it is, but this company seems dead set on always improving its operation & structure. At least monthly, I get an opportunity to view what is new on Canopy and what they are working on next. I can keep my finger on the pulse of my clients so I can quickly respond to their expectations.

Pros

When my client's upload documents to the portal, Canopy lists that activity, I click on it, and I am able to take action on it right away.

Cons

I would like to be able to adjust the timekeeper when I start it or while it is running.

DT Practice

Price and ease of use.
Andrea

Has it's place

Reviewed on 27/10/2022

Customer support is great. The client management module is great. I will probably let go of the workflow module, though, when my subscription is up because there's a lack of collaboration features, like no internal chat.

Pros

I love the Client Management module and the client-facing mobile app. It is very simple for our clients to use and to send us documents securely. We have had great success with client-adoption. I also like the automated client reminders.

Cons

OMG, it takes SO MANY clicks to accomplish anything. Pretty much everything you can do inside canopy could be streamlined by reducing at least one click. Working across multiple tasks, across multiple clients, that's a lot of clicks. Also, the firm-facing mobile app UI could be greatly improved and have better functionality.

Financial Cents and TaxDome

ClickUp

Reasons for Switching to Canopy

Canopy made it easiest for my clients to provide me information in a secure way.
Norman

Canopy is useful

Reviewed on 7/12/2021

Pros

The task management feature is useful in tracking engagements and to help plan for the workload.

Cons

Monitoring the number of contacts that are active can be challenging at times. There are was to identify last activity but is missing a feature where you can mark multiple clients as inactive instead of going into each one individually. This is important since the fee is based on the amount of active contacts.

Kyle

Local Tax CPA Firm

Reviewed on 9/12/2022

Overall, we are very happy with Canopy. It has allowed our firm to operate more efficiently, allowing for a number of manual processes to be automated, giving us more visibility over workflow, and the list of positives goes on and on. The software is not perfect, but they do a great job of listening to feedback. They are continuously making improvements.

Pros

The software is easy to use for us internally as well as for our clients. Our firm has drastically benefited from the workflow, file management and client management features. We look forward to moving over our time and billing to have everything under one login.

Cons

We would love to see a more robust Home-Admin page, bulk e-sign requests from templated letters (engagement letters), roles by contact to integrate with tasks to populate assignees (e.g., Partner, Bookkeeper, Preparer, Reviewer, etc.), limit parent task completion to select users (to avoid false completed tasks), share documents with non-portal users, send invoices to non-portal users, parent-sub invoicing, time & billing improvements, allow for folder templates to be applied when tasks are applied, allow for doubling clicking on a file to default to "Edit File" instead of preview mode, allow to search spouses on mobile, allow for additional formatting in Notes section.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for this detailed feedback, Kyle! We're glad Canopy is working for your firm and streamlining your processes.

We hope to address many of your specific recommendations in the near future as well! Follow along our new feature roadmap (or request a new feature yourself) by logging in here: https://feedback.getcanopy.com/

Deniz
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Solve many jobs in a short time with Canopy...

Reviewed on 30/11/2022

I've been using Canopy for a 1 year now and I absolutely love it. The software is amazing, it works perfectly for my needs and it integrates well with the rest of our system. It's very easy to use, has a great interface and a huge range of features.

Pros

I had been looking for a simple accounting solution to help me manage my clients' invoices, and discovered this product. It is simple, easy to use, and has a ton of features. Within a few months, I was able to set up my clients' invoices in a matter of minutes, and start using it. I also turned it into a project management tool.

Cons

Canopy has proven to be a robust and reliable solution that has helped streamline our document management processes, and it works well with our accounting software. The interface is very easy to use, the adaptation time to the software is very short, and it worked smoothly.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for this amazing feedback, Deniz!

Sandeep

Perfect Solution for CPAs

Reviewed on 4/01/2023

Fantastic -- my workflow, project/task management, document retrieval/editing/sharing etc.

Pros

Frankly, I purchased Canopy in November of 2019 when I opened up my practice in my home office, and didn't have a full grasp of it as the pandemic hit. 3+ years later - with much of the transition in the last few months - I can't imagine my practice without Canopy. The interface is super user-friendly, there are many options providing the user with a more personalized approach.

Cons

Sometimes certain shortcuts aren't available, or the desktop software errors etc. but it's small things and so far I've managed fine; needless to say Canopy is continuously improving so (not a con) once the "Print" or "Save" option directly to Canopy was available and my contacts were set integrated with emails etc. it's been a breeze.

Response from Canopy

We're so happy to hear that Canopy has helped you launch your in-home practice! We are always striving to improve and are glad to hear we're going in the right direction. Thanks for being a Canopy user, Sandeep!

Joshua

Better than Great

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Canopy has helped me improve the remote part of my business, so I can serve Clients around the world, even when I am not in the US.

Pros

The better-than-bank security made the choice a no-brainer.

Cons

The instant access to files that a Client uploaded wasted precious seconds every time I accessed a Client's folder.

Suralink

Reasons for Switching to Canopy

Better security for sensitive files.

Response from Canopy

We're glad you're enjoying Canopy Joshua! Thank you for your time leaving a review and we hope to continue making your practice as secure as possible for years to come!

Mark
  • Industry: Accounting

Canopy helps our company stay organized.

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

Pros

Communication tab, organization of tasks.

Cons

We would like to be able to integrate ability to update worksheets/ documents in internal files, just like you would in sheets or docs (if you want to edit, you have to do so outside of Canopy and re-upload. We would like to be able to quote in the system.

Aimee
  • Industry: Accounting

Great software - even for those in a solo practice.

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

I have tired other softwares and this one has been a great fit and easy to adopt.

Pros

The document storage and communication tools.

Cons

A little pricey for all the bells and whistles.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback, Aimee.

Jamie
  • Industry: Accounting

Great, easy and convenient for all of our needs.

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

Awesome

Awesome

Pros

File sharing and ease of uploading from anywhere.

Cons

Time tracker is my least favorite as it's hard to remember to turn it off sometimes.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for your feedback, Jamie! We'd like to make the product as functional as possible. Send us your input about the time tracker here: https://feedback.getcanopy.com/

Ralph

A CPA for Canopy

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

My office staff handles the mechanics - however I have been very pleased with the product and our ability to use during the tax season

Pros

Even my over 80 year old clients were able to 'start up' their online account and download/view/E-Sign their returns without much assistance from my office. It was that easy for them! AND a very small percentage of clients (less then 5%) had difficulty

Cons

You have many features we have not implemented. Time is of the essence any classes you offer during the tax season are difficult to attend. I guess more communication regarding all the product abilities.

Robert

Tax Resolution Software

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

Pros

In the beginning, Canopy was a tax resolution software. The survey option to send to the clients for their financial summary was very helpful to construct a resolution for their tax problems.

Cons

The company evolved into a tax management software. I don't need those functions. I need a tax resolution software only. The software was cost prohibitive forcing us to purchase features we don't use. (practice management)

Lauren
  • Industry: Accounting

Great Product! Such a Time Saver!

Reviewed on 7/08/2019

Love it! I would recommend it to anyone who regularly deals with IRS transcripts! Has saved us so much time!

Pros

Pulling IRS transcripts using this software is a dream. When you get transcripts through the IRS website you have to pull them one at a time, and if they aren't ready yet you have to repeat this process everyday. With Canopy, you enter the taxpayer's information and then all you have to do to refresh the information is click the refresh button. So much easier to use! Plus you can setup multiple client at one time and let the software run in the background until it has checked them all with the IRS, meanwhile you can move on to other work.

Cons

It would be easier if you didn't have to reestablish the link to the IRS everyday, and wait for the IRS code to come through. However, for security reason I understand why this is necessary.

Lora

Canopy Small Business

Reviewed on 7/12/2021

Really been worth the money.

Really been worth the money.

Pros

I am a small business and it is working out great for my firm. Affordable. Customer service has been very good.

Cons

That other users can see my email if my email is integrated. This may not be an issue and longer as I have not checked it recently. Accepting payments through Canopy is too costly for me and receiving the funds too slow. I hope this improves so I don't have to pay for another service.

Ellen
  • Industry: Accounting

I really have loved bringing the practice to Canopy.

Reviewed on 2/03/2018

Client portal, shared communications, all client info in one easy to use place.

Client portal, shared communications, all client info in one easy to use place.

Pros

I love the communication feature that connects everyone's correspondence with all clients. That has deemed to be more useful than I originally thought. Also, being able to store information on all of our clients in one easy to use place has been great. The client portal is amazing and easy to use.

Cons

When trying to complete things it will often have apologetic issues, like "sorry we are having trouble at the moment". Tasks should work more like engagements. Also, the alphabetic order of things is not exactly alphabetic and no one can seem to make sense of that for me but as our cient list grew the search tool is now the go-to for finding clients so it doesn't cause much of a hassle it is just a little odd.

Great Fit For Small Tax Practice

Reviewed on 10/01/2023

Pros

It covers all the features I need from my client-facing tech stack in one platform. I can share/receive files, send e-sign requests, manage work, send invoices, receive payments, and pull IRS transcripts all in Canopy. Support has also been very responsive to me and has helped me with all my questions.

Cons

It is an evolving and growing platform that comes with occasional bugs and changes to the user experience.