CAKE

Online Point of Sale (POS) software solution for restaurants

4.6 /5 (373 reviews) Write a Review!
4.4
4.7
Lynn R.

POS

Reviewed on 11/01/2021

Overall, we love this product, especially the support we get from the friendly staff. Anytime we have an issues, we call and it gets fixed. We have also been able to troubleshoot and fix items ourselves numerous times. It's an easy system and we recommend it.

Pros

Our customers love their screen. They like that they can see their order. It's easy to read and understand. We love that we can use the system from home on the laptop and not just in the shop. I make changes to the menu mostly from home. I love having the itemized close cash receipt every day. I love all the reports that I get for tracking my business.

Cons

I don't like that all the buttons are the same color. It makes it very difficult to find buttons in a hurry when you have 40 different syrup flavors and 34 different teas. We need colored buttons that we can use as groups, for example, I could make all our sugar free syrups green and all the syrups that start with an A, blue, etc... It helps your eyes to find things quicker. It is really stressful for new employees to find buttons when training and the customer is standing there staring at you. It's better as a trained employee, but it would save us time at the machine when we could be making their order. Colored buttons are highly needed. Also, ever since the last software update that affected us directly, it is harder for me to add new products to the menu and put them in the right place. I can't put my finger on what changed, but i have trouble adding new products under existing categories. They come out as new buttons on the main screen. Not sure how to fix that.

Barry M.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Hard to beat, I've used several systems.

Reviewed on 8/05/2020

Everyone that touches it learns it almost instantly. Programming it is almost as easy too.

Pros

Simple and covers all the bases. Cake has actually impressed customers! How often does a customer look at a cash register and think it's cool? Well, cake has, especially 4 years ago before everyone had an iPad. But we still get comments.

Cons

Can't put my logo on the receipts, would love to be able to shop for my own credit processing. I know that's not going to happen. But my logo on a receipt should be able to.

Carmelle N.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great Software! Great Support!! Great System!!!

Reviewed on 30/03/2018

The efficiency for the staff, which is HUGE!! We are a Family Restaurant, that worked with Carbon Guest checks. We would take an order at the table and run it back to the kitchen, and then move on to the next table. Now, because we use the IPads to take the order, we can go from table to table to take the order, while we are doing that we can have the coffee pot with us, and on the way back to the wait station, we can be carrying our pot, and cleaning tables, as well. All of this, while the cooks are working on the orders. We were able to get rid of one extra body during the week because of this efficiency. ALSO because of this system, everyone is charged the same, there is no more "guessing" how much the item costs because we are busy and don't have time to look, all of the sauces are getting charged for, and the amount of "forgetting to add it to the bill" charges are low. This system is a win, win. I just cannot say enough about it.

Pros

This system has Easy to add & Change Menu Items, which works awesome for our daily specials. It is VERY user friendly & Easy to train any age group. This system works great for reports, menu items such as what you are or are not selling, payroll, ect. I am so glad we chose this System!!

Cons

Cannot adjust the pricing after the order has been sent back to the Kitchen. I also wish there were some things you could have print in a different color that goes back to the kitchen. Our ribbons are red and black, but the printer only prints black. I also wish, there was a different way to have the orders print to the kitchen, but we are working through some of those issues. The cooks have to remember that they have to learn a different way to read the tickets as well. There are a couple of other things, but actually they are being implemented in the near future.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you Carmelle for taking the time to give CAKE such a thorough and glowing review! CAKE Point of Sale does not allow for pricing modification after an order has been placed. We did this to keep cash totals consistent in your inventory - so everything adds up at the end of the day.

We hear your requests for different colored ink on your tickets and early this summer we have an update coming out that will allow you to print modifiers in red.

Thank you for trusting the Copper Penny Family Restaurant to CAKE Point of Sale, working together just makes cents!

Katie B.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Cake has been such a positive experience.

Reviewed on 8/11/2017

Cake saves us time with customers and employee training. It is very user friendly and the support team is very friendly and helpful.

Pros

We switched to CAKE because we were launching a bigger location and with an expanded menu, this was the better option for us. We were previously using Square which didn't have a lot of the functions we needed as a bigger business. It's much easier for employees to work now because CAKE allows them to do clocking in and out in one convenient location, all the menu options can be put in the system which saves their time entering and hunting, and overall it's much more organized. We can also easily change the menu from our laptops on a regular basis because we've been adding a bunch of stuff, and it's much easier from our computers. The reports help us keep records of what sells the best during each season and we can decide then to bring it back or not. A lot of our customers are really impressed as well, it's very easy for them to use and they tell us on a regular basis. It's really user friendly and it all comes down to the ease of use. We just have no complaints, and whenever I need support it's easy to get to.

Cons

The screen will freeze from time to time but it is easily fixed by restarting the machine. I also wish we could find receipts by card holders last name, it would be easier to go back if we need to find a receipt for different purposes.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Your CAKE Point of Sale shouldn't be freezing, please reach out to [email protected] if you'd like some technical assistance troubleshooting this issue. CAKE is happy to hear Mishmash Eats is saving so much time by switching to CAKE POS. We hope you and your customers continue to have great things to say about CAKE's support, please get in touch if we can help you get more out of your CAKE Point of Sale.

Mike A.

Great experience, amazing support and the right way to buy software

Reviewed on 27/07/2017

Pros

We were using an older text driven system before that ran on an older OS on XP and we needed something that was Windows-oriented, vendor supported, and took support off of management's hands and handed it over to the people who are actually on the floor doing the work. Frankly the old system also broke a lot, and we needed something more technologically advanced. CAKE has been fantastic. Developing and managing the menu has been surprisingly easy, like the easiest thing I've ever done. Working with the categories and modifiers was just a piece of cake. All of the people working here love it. They came off a system they were already used to, and the conversion was completely painless and extremely fast. When we went from tickets to our old system it was a 6 month nightmare, it just took forever, and I was concerned switching to CAKE would be the same, but it was instant. The system was so intuitive, it's been really nice. It operates exactly how you think it should work, which is probably why staff took to it so readily. The way you can purchase it was also a huge factor for a small independent company like ours, so you can do a small down payment instead of a big cash outlay. It just works for us.

Cons

An ad-hoc reporting capability would be nice. The existing reports are substantial and you can download them into excel, but I would like to be able to create my own.

Response from CAKE, a Sysco Company

Thank you Mike for your great review of CAKE! CAKE Point of Sale makes it easy for you to work faster, more efficiently, and with less overhead. We¿re glad to hear your staff is loving it as much as you are!

Joseph G.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Very happy overall with the Cake System.

Reviewed on 5/07/2017

decreased ticket times, no more pocketed tickets, better overall customer satisfaction.

Pros

Our main problem before CAKE was time. It was taking too much time for servers to get something written on paper and get back to the POS to put everything in. If the internet was down everything was down so we wanted something cloud based so we could continue with transactions even if the internet had problems. CAKE meets all the needs we were looking for. We've got a much faster turnover rate on being able to get orders in and back to kitchen and out to the table, and we can continue taking orders even without internet, which have both helped with revenue. We also like using the guest manager system so when we run out of tables we can get numbers and page when tables open up which was an added benefit. I can also do things on the fly like change the menu even when I'm not on the restaurant, someone just gives me a call and I can add it from my personal laptop and it goes directly to the POS system, which has been really helpful as well.

Cons

Touch screen interaction is not instant. There is a half second lag in some of the menu screens. It may not sound like much, but anyone in the restaurant industry knows that every single second counts during the lunch rush. This lag also includes certain unnecessary animations between certain screens.
Certain features such as an on the fly print button from the table layout screen would decrease our table times.
The Split screen is very counter-productive compared to other systems.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

We're so happy to hear Cafe at the Gardens is running efficiently and profitably since switching to CAKE! But we are sorry to hear that you're experiencing a touch screen lag. If you haven't already done so, we advise contacting [email protected] for further investigation. We have brought this to the attention of our Product team in the meantime. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences!

Giordano L.

owner of the Pos

Reviewed on 30/11/2020

was good but now we are behind

Pros

we are very behind with the technology equipment and relationship with business and costumers daily base ...kiosk with self selfservise cash out

Cons

yes missing a lot of improved no try to update with the new technology and relationship with costumers daily base

Lorenia S.

good program

Reviewed on 9/11/2017

Pros

When we switched from our old POS to CAKE, we were looking for something faster and easier which is exactly what we got. Our old system had a server and all the data made it super slow. We like having the ipads that take orders faster right at the table. It's a lot easier to update the menu or make changes and I can actually change it from my computer so I don't even have to be in the restaurant. I can do it from home the night before and it'll be ready the next day. I also look at sales reports and employee hours from home a lot too. There's not a lot of user error, and it makes things in general a lot smoother.

Cons

the connection with iPad has to refresh often , that means the waitress has to check iPad before going to tables i am not sure is because the system or our connection is very poor.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

CAKE is happy to hear the Avenue Cafe is working smarter, faster, and more easily with CAKE Point of Sale. We make it simple for you to update your menus and manage your restaurant from anywhere, so you get more done while going about your busy day. It sounds like your OrderPad is having some technical issues, It sounds like your OrderPad is having some technical issues, if you¿d like to reach out to [email protected] we'd be happy to help you work through the issue so your hardware is performing as intended. Thank you for choosing CAKE!

Shonna H.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Best POS system I have used in my 20 year career.

Reviewed on 3/05/2017

Easy to use, fast and reliable.

Pros

We're coming up on our one-year anniversary with CAKE and I can't think of a single bad thing to say about it. Before CAKE, all of our systems were really hard to upgrade or make any changes. With CAKE, I can do it from home, review reports, and it's so easy for the servers and chefs as well as our customers to read and use. The set up was so easy, we've hardly had any problems, and unlike other places where we've had to make tons of calls and emails without even hearing back from anyone, the CAKE team gets us back up and running immediately, they have never missed a phone call, and they walked me through step by step in a way that was easy to understand. We looked at two other products before choosing this one and have absolutely no regrets. I feel really tied into the core of the restaurant, and they have a lot to do with it. Thanks for making my restaurant run better!

Cons

We had some trouble with splitting tickets. After help from CAKE and their customer service department we implemented additional training in house and the problem has been solved.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you Shonna for your wonderful review of CAKE! We're happy things are going so well at the Old Soul Cafe, and we're delighted our customer success team and support have kept things running smoothly for you

Sandra W.
  • Industry: Restaurants

My experience with CAKE has been amazing!

Reviewed on 30/08/2017

Pros

I like being able to contact technical support or customer service 24/7 and getting a LIVE person right away and I like being able to turn my POS system over to the tech so that they can figure out what my problem is instead of them trying to explain to me how I can fix the problem. It's also nice to be able to see my reports online so that I can keep up with my business while I'm away from my restaurant on a trip. POS systems are expensive and their lease-to-own program allowed us to get a top quality POS system so that we could concentrate our money on buying supplies for the restaurant when we first opened.

Cons

The only complaint that I have about this system is that there are limited options when setting up new employees privileges. I would like to set different privileges for each individual employee instead of the current options of "exempt" or "non-exempt". Sometimes I need to give someone additional privileges but not complete run of the whole system.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

CAKE does our best to ensure we deliver great customer service, and we're glad Shrimpy's has had a great experience getting the support you need. Our upcoming update, available to all our customers in the coming months, has a complete revamp of user management, including permissions which should fix this issue.

Lori C.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Overall, my experience with CAKE has been a great one

Reviewed on 29/06/2017

Ease of use. Cut down on time for closing procedures. Immediately goes live with new product or pricing.

Pros

The product is a Huge timesaver for myself and for my staff. We were with Abacus prior to this and it was a nightmare. With Cake everything is right at your finger tips. It has taken so much time off of our daily reporting and closing procedures. Also, Unlike the prior company we were using. There is no longer a wait period for entering new items into the system or updating pricing. So convient!!! We have been using the system now for over 2 years and have been completely happy with the system and the customer service as well.

Cons

There is not much that I dislike about this product. There have been small issues that were immediately taken care of and resolved as quickly as possible. It is a start up company. so there are always going to be some growing pains.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you for your awesome review, Lori! CAKE knows issues can happen, but we strive to provide excellent support to get you back up and running. We're happy CAKE makes it easy for 903 Mills Market to do daily reporting and update your prices.

Stephen S.
  • Industry: Restaurants

CAKE POS gets better all the time. They are always trying to make things better.

Reviewed on 20/07/2017

Better tracking of drinks and food.

Pros

We used to run everything out of a couple of regular registers. Now everything is tied together. No more guest checks running back and forth to the kitchen. It was a challenge at first, but the you get used to the system the better it is. We like the simplified reports. It's a lot easier to track sales within categories so we have a good idea of what's selling and what's not. Restaurants are always trying to get something that'll sell a little better. This makes it easier to figure out what you made at the end of the day, which helps us run the business better.

Cons

I wish they had way to set up an automatic happy hour for the bar. It would be nice if it could be programed for say from 2-6 fifty cents of on all alcoholic drinks.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Johnny Ringo's, we're your huckleberry when it comes to retiring registers. If you ever need to train new staff or want to learn more about what your CAKE Point of Sale can do, please do visit CAKE University at https://university.cake.net/ for more videos and pro-tips.

This CAKE University article shows how to create a shift based menu:

Janelle D.

Owner operator

Reviewed on 8/07/2019

Pros

Very simple to use and set up. Hooking it up was pretty simple and so was programming the system. When I add things to the system it's very simple.

Cons

Had issues when we first opened. Had to fight tooth and nail to have it fixed. I didn't feel that I had to pay to fix the issue when it was less than a year old. My disco rep helped me and we found the issue and then cake fixed it. I feel as though cake should have traveling reps that can work on issues that companies are having.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thanks so much, Janelle, for your kind review! Love hearing that you have found CAKE so simple and easy to use. We apologize for any issues you had in getting things setup. We have an extensive remote team that is here for you 24/7/365. We would love to be on-site, but by having remote support we are able to lower our costs and pass these savings on to you. That being said, we do offer premium on-site support for customers that need it. Thanks for your feedback and for being a customer, we appreciate you!

Zachary T.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

The cake system is easy to use. Its quick and also very safe. We love It!

Reviewed on 24/07/2017

Their is so many benefits to switching to cake. It save your cc processing money the system is smooth and easy to use. Keeps payroll and invintory for you. Makes my job as a manager much easier to run a restaurant.

Pros

We switched to CAKE because it does cheaper credit card processing, and on top of that it's a lot better as a system to calculate our numbers, and we can even use it to keep track of inventory. I like how they constantly do maintenance and updates, which keeps things running smoothly and up to date. I also like how it sends close out reports via email which we can access remotely from anywhere.

Cons

Their could be a better tax exempt button. For our customers that have an tax exempt card. You can still turn the tax of very simply. But it could be helpful. I have spoken with them about this and they are currently working on it. Thanks cake.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you Zachary for sharing your experiences using CAKE at Ike's Chili! We're glad you're making more money with our industry-low credit card processing rate, and it's awesome to hear how our reporting lets you manage on-the-go.

Chad E.

Cake POS 100+ seat restaurant

Reviewed on 19/07/2019

Excellent system with intuitive back office controls. Gets the job done with minimal errors

Pros

Ease of use/ modification. Easy to program. Good reporting.

Cons

Inability to integrate w/ other credit card processing hardware/software

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Hey Chad, thanks for your kind words.

Glad to hear that you are putting our Point of Sale to great use!

Lisa J.

It Works!

Reviewed on 20/01/2020

My experience thus far has been quite favorable. Reliable and easy to use, I can't really ask for more than that!

Pros

It does it's job, day in and day out! I'm never worried about a 6 am call that the POS isn't working. On the couple of occasions that there was a problem, Customer Service was quick to identify it and walk me through correcting it. Also, it's user friendly so training new staff on it is a breeze.

Cons

I'm not crazy about the credit card fees being pulled before the money is deposited in my account. I understand the logic behind it ... but it requires me to make daily entries for Merchant Fees instead of just a once a month bill.

Brenda L.

Very Happy with CAKE Point of Sale

Reviewed on 9/01/2021

Our experience with CAKE has been very good. They are number one at customer service which is very important. They are available for help 24-7 and that is needed. The POS is very user friendly. Having this POS system has enabled us to be a very successful Restaurant/bar business. It speeds the entire dining process up from back of the house to the front with little to no mistakes. All the data reports are just a click away which saves so much time. We having been using CAKE for four years and have no complaints.

Pros

Being the owner, I like being able to see everything that is going on within my business by logging on to the POS and seeing where we are at in sales at any given time.

Cons

I'm still a fan of the old layout to view reports. So I always use the "Take my back" button

Denise R.

Cook and Manager

Reviewed on 12/01/2019

Pros

I like that we can keep track of items that sell the most. I like that at 1 touch I can see the sales made per worker.

Cons

I don't like that once the waitress sends ticket to kitchen, any mistakes (like price) can't be fixed without voiding the order. I don't like that when I need to use a third party payment per say credit card, that there is no way to include tip in with our sales.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thanks, Denise, for your kind review! We love hearing that CAKE POS has made tracking items and sales a breeze. Thank you for your feedback about tickets and third party credit cards. Our team is aware of these issues and are actively working to improve them. Thank you for being a loyal customer, we appreciate your business!

Jennifer F.

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

It helps me keep on top of my numbers to keep me in the black.

Pros

It is easy to learn and easy to use. The are always updating to make it better.

Cons

When it prints anything the print is really light. Having fresh ink in your printer does not matter.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Hey Jennifer! Thank you for your kind review.

We pride ourselves on our ease of use and try to continuously improve our Point of Sale, so thanks for noticing!

As far as the printing quality, if you have the Epson Thermal Printer - here's an article for cleaning the printer in order to improve print quality from our Knowledge Base.

If you are still experiencing issues, please give our 24/7 support team a call.

Anita H.

Very user friendly. Very happy with the entire package.

Reviewed on 23/01/2018

Pros

User friendly in all ways, from employee to management needs. Very simple to explain, keeps everything organized, changes don't take hours and you can do it from home on your computer if needed.

Cons

Not entirely pizzeria friendly in the deliver area. Need more control for drivers to sign out delivers when taking them, and need to be able to put in cut off areas for delivery zones for online delivering feature. Only other con- if you have pre-orders you cant set them for a specific date...

Response from CAKE from Sysco

CAKE is happy Little Italy of Hornell is getting big results with our point of sale system. Our Point of Sale keeps you organized, efficient, and able to manage your restaurant from anywhere. CAKE has considered adding pre-orders to future releases, but more users are asking for more ASAP delivery features, so we'll keep working on those for the time being. Thank you for the great feedback!

Marty S.

Love our Cake POS so much, we bought a second one!!!

Reviewed on 20/11/2017

Pros

The software was easy to understand and to program. We were able to pin point any issues we had, such as over rings, payouts, wrong ring ins, etc.. We had saved enough money being able to fix those mistake but using Cake, that it basically paid for itself. We found using the Cake POS saved us time and money, that we bought a 2nd Cake POS, that we were able to transition it to use it in our hotel and golf course we own. I would recommend the Cake POS to anyone!!

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Hello Marty, CAKE is glad to hear about SandBurr Run LLC¿s great experience with 2 CAKE Point of Sale systems. We make it easy for restaurants like yours to save money and time in running your business. A second POS system sounds great for your hotel and golf course, our OrderPad solution is available at a lower price point, and makes the power of your POS mobile! http://market.cake.net/orderpad/

Tony R.

I recently needed help using my CAKE system. Ashley Udell was extremely helpful and prompt.

Reviewed on 16/02/2018

Pros

Easy to teach my employees to use in one short training session. My reports are easy to customize. And customer service has never left me disappointed in over 2 years.

Cons

Perhaps a customizable rewards program instead of simply stamps or credits for money spent. But overall very pleased.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you Tony for voicing your great experience with CAKE. Our Point of Sale system does offer customizable rewards, https://university.cake.net/Point_of_Sale/Daily_Use/Creating_Rewards this video from CAKE University might help answer some questions. If not, please reach out to support to get immediate assistance getting your customized rewards set up. Thank you very much for choosing CAKE.

Tony F.

Brazilian Bowl

Reviewed on 31/10/2020

So far it has been a great experience and looking forward to see the new things and new updates that Cake is bringing to us.

Pros

The cake Point of sale is very easy to use. So you don’t have to spend too much time training your employees. I have many different POS Systems in the past and cake for sure was the easiest one to navigate. They have great customer service and they are always trying to hear your opinion about the system.

Cons

I wish the system would have straight integration with the Third parties delivery but I think this will be their next steps.

Roseanne W.

Very positive

Reviewed on 15/02/2018

Pros

Software it easy to use. Can be used remotely. I like the copy feature and the search. I like having remote access to the menu administration. I do it mostly from my phone.

Cons

No order pad support for Android devices. Some actions can only be done from the terminal such as item count. Needs auto sort feature. Needs better search feature. Copy should also copy the price.

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you Roseanne for your great review of CAKE. We offer tools that let you manage your restaurant anywhere, anytime. Unfortunately on the inception of the OrderPad product we had to make a choice: iOS or Android. We chose iOS as there was far less diversification on the hardware front. We wanted to deliver a reliable experience, so we chose iOS support. Thank you for choosing CAKE for the Wit's End Tavern, and thank you for the great feedback.

James D.

We absolutely love this system, it's is so easy to use and The functionality is amazing!

Reviewed on 16/08/2017

Pros

I like the ease of use, the small foot print and most of all the price and financing was affordable and easy! Customers love it, employees love it and I love it. Has a great back office intergeagrion as well. There isn't cords all over the place and the credit processing is built in and lightning quick. The cloud support is top notch as wel

Cons

Only thing I would improve is more area for comments in the order taking menu for deliveries and special instructions

Response from CAKE from Sysco

Thank you James! We're glad River Crust Deli is getting so much out of CAKE Point of Sale. We pride ourselves on technology to automate more and more of the multitude of tasks that is running a restaurant everyday. We hear you about adding more comments for delivery and online orders, please stay tuned to future updates.