Spendesk

Smart, trackable spending at work. From Approvals to Zen.

4.8 /5 (64 reviews) Write a Review!
4.8
4.7
4.6
4.9
4.8
Mark L.
Industry: Computer Hardware

Great efficiency tool for small companies

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

Pros

It greatly improves the purchasing workflow, all the way through to payments and accounting. It decentralises purchasing, while keeping control of the whole process with the decision makers. It's very intuitive to use - I never have to train new employees on Spendesk. The customer support level is the best I've ever seen, and they are constantly adding new features and improving the existing ones.

Cons

It costs money. But compared to the employee time saved by using it, as well as the added value compared to manual processes, it's money very well spent.

Response from Spendesk

Thank you Mark for your kind review. We are really happy to free you and your team from the hassle of paying at work!

Christopher P.
Industry: Construction

Sucess Story

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Pros

100% control over all teams and their spendings
Easy to use via app or directly on the platform
Streamlining of Cash-out
Customization of fields for export incl. cost center logic

Cons

Missing export file with images for German accounting software Datev

Response from Spendesk

Thank you Christopher for your great review!

Ferdinand S.
Industry: E-Learning

Improvements

Reviewed on 17/06/2019

Paying all over the US when travelling. Helps with keeping track of company expenses.

Pros

Easy to mangae/upload your receipts when you are travelling.

Cons

-Spendesk card doesn't work in many places (Trader Joe's for example)
-With the app you can only take photos from receipts. It would be a great improvement if you could make a photo that recognizes the receipt (adapts the borders automatically) and that converts it to a pdf.

Response from Spendesk

Dear Ferdinand, thank you for your review. The good news is our new mobile app will be launching soon, and includes a new feature to automatically crop receipt photos. Sorry to hear about the issues you had overseas, we've passed your comments on to our product team to investigate further.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Jordi C.
Industry: Online Media

Everything undercontrol

Reviewed on 11/10/2019

Pros

Having credit card as main payment method for our online providers was a mess. Spendesk gave us absolut control about our expenses, reporting and more over... authmatization! Never more share credit card data to employees.

Cons

Spendesk should have been live 5 ago to avoid past problems :)

Response from Spendesk

Thank you Jordi for your amazing review. We're glad to help you stay in control of your company spending!

Kristan L.
Industry: Publishing

Life changer!

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Loads of international travel and receipt management - worry free

Pros

I was in sales in the earlier part of my career and vowed to never return because I thought the expense reports took way too much of my precious time. thanks to Spendesk - it has literally changed my professional & personal life - bank is happy and I am hassle free - love, love love it!

Cons

literally cannot think of one - so easy to use & instantaneous....My accounting team no longer loathes me!

Response from Spendesk

Thank you so much Kristan for your wonderful review !! We are really happy to make your life so much easier.

Rodolphe Q.
Industry: Computer Software

Perfect tool for open company

Reviewed on 11/12/2018

Use it for 4 years now, so usefull for employees.

Pros

If you work in a company where trust rings the bell for your boss you have use this tool, it's so easy and powerful. Everyone can be autonomous when travelling or need to buy any good need for his job.

Cons

Maybe the UI with soft colors is not easy enough to understand for blind colors people leike me, bigger icon shoud be a good idea

Response from Spendesk

Thank you so much Rodolphe for your kind review!

Vlad Z.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great help for managing your work receipts

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 25/12/2018

Pros

- expense cards for recurring payments
- OCR to recognise receipts
- configurable approval workflows (with auto-approval if under specified amount)
- VAT support
- mobile app
- visibility on back payments

Cons

- not enough visibility with spending per per category / missing analytics dashboard

Response from Spendesk

Dear Vlad, thank you for your kind review!

Lucille G.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great tool to manage company expenses

Reviewed on 10/07/2019

Pros

- No need to pay first and expense later, you can directly use Spendesk virtual credit cards!
- No risk to forgot about sending the invoice to the finance team, Spendesk directly sends you a reminder
- You can generate recurring credit cards for recurring expenses

Cons

- Some companies or website don't accept virtual credit cards (but really few of them)

Response from Spendesk

Thank you so much Lucille for your great review. We are so happy to help you better manage all your business spendings :)

Edwin J.
Industry: Entertainment

Saves countless hours

Reviewed on 23/08/2019

It’s globally amazing!

Pros

Accounting used to be quite painful for us. Immediate and automatic reconciliation saves us countless hours!

Cons

It’s hard to create temporary card on mobile.

Response from Spendesk

Thank you Edwin for your amazing review, it means a lot to us. We're super glad that you enjoy using Spendesk and that we're helping you save lots of time! Wishing you a great day.

André C.

Surprisingly helpful and efficient

Reviewed on 28/03/2019

Spendesk allowed WeTek to manage all the paperwork related to its employees T&E, using a more efficient and correct approach. We've also improved the flexibility regarding one-off online purchases and regular subscriptions. Expenses management became simpler and its platform is very intuitive. A very good experience and I would definitely recommend it.

Pros

Automatic supplier identification and the ability to invoice the amount of documents uploaded. The user reminder feature is very useful, as well as its reports.

Cons

It would be interesting to be able to select the expiration date of the issued credit cards. Also, physical credit cards should somehow enforce company spending policies.

Response from Spendesk

Thank you André for your amazing review! We're really glad to help you and all teams at WeTek dealing with spending management.

Lukas H.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great accounting automation for distributed teams

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

We're a small team scattered around Europa and Asia & thanks to Spendesk, much of our accounting, requesting payments & doing personal expenses has been automated - giving us more time to focus on developing our business rather than filing manual reports & chasing receipts across departments.

Pros

- Spendesk allows to automate payments & approvals for business expenses and provides great overview over who owns which transactions, establishing great accountability
- The accounting integration (in Germany) was easy and straightforward
- Great approval flows
- It's possible to set up multiple teams & entities, modeling complex organizational structures

Cons

- Due to a change in Spendesk's internal processes in preparation for Brexit the onboarding process took 3-4 weeks, which wasn't well communicated in advance
- Each credit card's limit must be backed by money pre-loaded onto the bank account - and each card's limit needs to be 100% backed, effectively tying up an entire month of "worst case scenario" working capital
- Currency conversion charges are quite high

Response from Spendesk

Hello Lukas, and thank you very much for your very detailed review. We are sorry that you faced some issues while using Spendesk. Don't hesitate to contact our support team anytime you need, we are available for you. Have a nice day!

Matthew W.
Industry: Computer Software

Very nearly perfection, but I have a use case not handled well

Reviewed on 13/03/2019

Pros

This is cliche, but the software just works. I really appreciate how fast it is to do all the tasks I need to do, and it really helps get my colleagues on board when it doesn't take up much of their time to upload receipts.

Cons

It is not very obvious how to have a card that can be charged multiple times, but only as a single overall process. An example is any service which takes a deposit, then final charge once manufacture is complete. This would be one purchase request and therefore one spendesk card, but needs to allow multiple individual charges to occur.
The "solution" is a subscription, but then you have to remember to cancel it or the money is reserved on the card forever.

Response from Spendesk

Thank you Matthew for your interesting review. If you need any help with Spendesk, don't hesitate to contact our support or customer success teams!

Pauline T.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Absolutely amazing tool to manage you team spendings

Reviewed on 15/07/2016

We implemented Spendesk as soon as we heard from them for my compan Hivy.
Hivy is a Saas helping Office Managers to answer every employee needs.

What was the problem I was facing at Hivy? Well few corporate cards, not enough agility in the team when we needed to buy stuff online.
Spendesk was the perfect tool to make my team move faster.
I used Spendesk's product since the beginning - I love the fact that each time I have a question on the product, they quickly get back to me and do whatever is needed to solve my problem.
That's what I call customer support :)

Pros

Best customer support <3
Very smooth and user-friendly design
Custom Approval flow which is great when you go on vacations - you can really delegate the payment validation.

Cons

Cannot be used with existing corporate cards.

Response from Spendesk

Merci Pauline :)

Nicolas G.
Industry: E-Learning

I have been one of the first customer of Spendesk, saved me a lot of time and mistakes

Reviewed on 15/05/2018

Time saving, seamless approval workflow, team management, Xero integration

Pros

Superb UX, Analytical coding, greatest Xero integration ever, no more corporate credit card, no more credit card reconciliation + I can empower my teammates and make them responsible for their budget + I am in control of my expenses without spending too much time in painfull approval workflow.

Cons

I want to use it for all my subsidiaries
OCR please ?
A dedicated email than I can use to forward my receipts directly to the solution would be great too

Response from Spendesk

Thank you Nicolas for this review! We will get in touch with you to make sure that all your subsidiaries can use Spendesk.

Ken O.

Happy to recommend

Reviewed on 16/04/2019

Pros

I have to say that I have been nothing but impressed by the Spendesk platform since we implemented it earlier this year. Tracking credit card expenditure was a manual painstaking process for us until we introduced Spendesk which involved chasing receipts and manually deriving accounting entries from a spreadsheet. I now have control and visibility across the business of the entire spend and am confident that I have the back up and approval processes for it in one location. You have managed to develop a cross platform UX that is easy for the user and the finance team alike and the reporting capability is second to none. I have no hesitation in giving a top rating and have since recommended it to other finance professionals.

Cons

If I had one suggestion it would be that the lead time of the physical cards is far too long and the cards themselves should be contactless.

Response from Spendesk

Thank you so much Ken for your amazing review!
We are working right now in decreasing the time of the plastic card delivery and the contactless card is on its way. Stay tuned... ;-)

Sandro M.

Forest Admin uses Spendesk

Reviewed on 13/07/2016

Forest is a Saas company. As any saas company we have a lot of online spending : IT, subscriptions (git, adobe, etc) or travel expenses to visit our customers.
We had only 1 credit card (mine) B.S (as Before Spendesk :p) which was used for every subscription leading to problems. I could not have a clear view on all my subscriptions ! I was also blocked because of spending monthly limit...

Using Spendesk helped me to control each and every one of my subscription + no monthly limit.

I also use Spendesk for all my online spending and don't lose time at the end of the month chasing for invoices (something which is time-consuming and that I hate on a personal level).

Pros

issue 1 card per subscription with budgets
autonomy given to the other guys in my teams -> they can do the purchases themselves and I can use the customized approval flow to delegate the validation

Cons

I am the one not putting my invoices on the platform now and my accountant knows exactly that this is not on one of my employees' side

Response from Spendesk

Thanks for your feedbacks Sandro ! Glad to see that Spendesk helps you at Forest :)

Xavi G.
Industry: Sports

Easy and amazing finance administration tool

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

Pros

The fact that i can scan my receipts and upload them directly from the phone. Having a Visa credit card that links directly to the app and i don't have to use my personal one.

Cons

There are too many approvals needed for every single operation

Response from Spendesk

Thank you Xavi for your nice review. Concerning the number of approvals, it might come from the expense policy of your company. Feel free to contact our success team if you have any question about the use of Spendesk.

Thibault L.
Industry: Internet
Company size: Self Employed

Manages accounting better than other pieces of software!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 18/06/2019

Pros

Spendesk allows me to pay in a B2B environment, while having full visibility on realtime spending and accounting at the end of the month!

Cons

I wish I had known before that I could connect Spendesk with my accounting software: I would have saved so much time!

Jonathan C.
Industry: Computer Software

Never be stuck waiting for the company card

Reviewed on 4/08/2019

Easy to use, super efficient, and keeps everything tidy (approval requests are logged, receipts can be attached to each expense, cards are issued for a specific vendor and with a maximum payment limit).

Pros

Every expense incurred by the team can be sent for approval, approved, and sent to the vendor instantly.

Cons

Certain vendors decline prepaid virtual cards, meaning it's back to the old hunting down the company card game.

Response from Spendesk

Thank you so much Jonathan for your great review. We are indeed aware that some vendors do not accept our virtual cards. But we are looking to end this issue shortly. Have a nice day!

Jules W.

Useful

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

Pros

Intuitive, practical, incredible support.

Cons

Chatbot is always displayed even if I don't need help

Response from Spendesk

Thank you for your great review Jules!

Anne caroline C.
Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Great tool to save time and increase expense monitoring!

Reviewed on 26/11/2018

Great tool to monitor credit card expenses, collect receipts and facilitate accounting booking!!
Users and accounting team are found of this tool in our company since it has been implemented

Pros

Easy to implement
Time credit
Great monitoring

Cons

Could be cheaper
purple color ;-)

Response from Spendesk

Thank you for your kind review Anne-Caroline!

Good review

Reviewed on 10/05/2019

Very easy to use, I use it almost daily since I work in marketing and am responsible for buying stuff for the office. I love the reminders to upload the receipts. I feel a sense of completion when I've uploaded a receipt.

Pros

Being able to automatically pay for work spendings through spendesk without having to use my own money or wait for my expenses to be refunded by my company.

Cons

Nothing, maybe make it possible to copy the card number.

Response from Spendesk

Thank you for your nice review!

Karim F.
Industry: Education Management

Easy, Painless, Efficient

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Pros

- Easy to use
- Intuitive
- Easy to manage user accesses and spending policies, to avoid creating complex procedures
- Easy to upload receipts (email address for automatic matching of invoices, native app for pictures etc.)
- can integrate with accounting

All in all I think spendesk allows us to gain time and control over many administrative tasks, enabling us to focus more on our business.

Cons

- Sometimes the plastic cards fail without any reason at some shops, this is a problem because it blocks us to buy things when we need them the most (ie at the cashier of a shop). But the CS team helps fairly quickly and solves the issue.

Natalie P.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Easy to use and an enjoyable experience

Reviewed on 19/06/2019

It makes my life (and my bosses life!) so much easier. By giving me a budget I can spend with I don't have to pester by boss for money/company card access. I don't have to wait for expenses to be paid at the end of each month, I don't even have to log expenses! I also don't have to worry about losing receipts as I upload them straight away, and if I don't, Spendesk reminds me and questions why. It's a very intuative and user friendly platform.

Pros

The app - the ability to instantly upload receipts on the go (and reminders if you don't!), updates on balance, pin easily available through the app.

Cons

The sign up process wasn't as smooth as it could have been, I can't remember why or how now as it was a while ago but I remember getting my card in the post, with little instruction/information about what to do next. I then managed to 'sign up' but didn't register my card for ages as I thought I'd done that by signing up.

Response from Spendesk

Thank you so much Natalie for your amazing review! We're so happy to read all your feedbacks, and we improved our customer onboarding process to avoid further confusion as you just mentioned :)

Fabien D.

Awesome to simplify expenses

Reviewed on 1/11/2019

Pros

Super easy to create/use/approve virtual cards for online expenses

Cons

It would be amazing if it could be combined with a forex solution, à la Revolut

Response from Spendesk

Thank you Fabien for your great review! We're glad to count Myriad Group as one of our customers and simplify your company expenses.