Edsby

Cloud-based digital learning and data platform for K-12

4.3 /5 (137 reviews) Write a Review!
4.3
4.3
4.1
4.2
4.2
Aaron S.

It is exactly what I've been looking for.

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

Pros

The ease and familiarity of a social media platform with the security and transparency of educational software. I can respond to my students questions from anywhere in the world at anytime and I know that our interaction is transparent for their security and mine.

Cons

The gradebook takes some getting used to and doesn't have all of the functionality of a dedicated platform.

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Everything you need in one place

Reviewed on 12/11/2018

Edsby has been very easy to work with. They are responsive and work to find compromises where our district may do something different from the norm. The software has grown significantly over last 5 years and includes much more than we originally planned, making Edsby a powerful tool in our district for communicating with students and parents.

Pros

As a parent, I want to be able to see everything my students are doing quickly and easily. Edsby allows easy access to all of my students (I have 4 at 4 different schools!) from one dashboard for any grade level. It doesn't matter if I'm on the mobile app or in the browser, the information is easy to access. I can also reach out directly to their teachers. Recent updates have also enabled push notifications about class updates and messaging. My students enjoy it too as it makes it easy for them to keep up to date on what's going on in their classes - NO MORE SURPRISES!
As a district software administrator, Edsby is incredibly easy to manage. The super search feature allows me to quickly and easily access student or teacher information when assisting schools with troubleshooting questions. Granular permissions make sure that the correct people have access to the correct information and not more than they need. EdsbyLink ensures that data imports match our current Student Information System.

Cons

New features come fast! Its hard to keep teachers informed of new features as they arrive and help them use the features to their fullest capabilities.

Brian T.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Still in start-up mode

Reviewed on 20/10/2017

Custom report cards. 3rd party LMS instead of internal LMS.

Pros

Meets our government regulatory compliance requirements. Awesome gradebook. Solid report cards. Pulls parent contact information, student contact information, teacher contact information, rooms and schedules from our SIS nightly. Changes are not updated in real time, but are updated within one day.

Cons

New features and updates are rolled out seemingly at the last minute. (ie 7pm notification of an overnight upgrade). Does not match the school year. Pull integration only with our SIS. Rigid roles. Parent account creation for parents that we want to authenticate with AD is problematic. Support department is only 2 people. Attendance is difficult. Does not allow users with multiple roles, ie teacher who is also a parent. Developments don't necessarily match school year. Lacks a threaded discussion board. Planning does not support backwards design. Calendars do not at this point have iCal feeds. No internal auditing of planned absences, so if a planned absence exists for a group or a class, if there is a change in the enrollment of the group or class, the planned absence is not modified for the user who changed enrollment. No list of known issues.

Angelica A.
Industry: Education Management

Edsby is a reliable helper.

Reviewed on 21/05/2019

I work in education and with Edsby I can communicate with all parents, I have access to all the students information and data, I love the graphs generated and I am really looking forward to using it during interviews with parents. An image speaks louder than words abd EDSBY is an advocate for both students and teachers voices.

Pros

I loved the pedagogical documentation features.I can take a picture or a video of my student and all their hands on work. This is work that when my students would finish, it would be lost, the manipulatives would be placed in bins and their thinking would not be documented unless I would go around and had enough time to take anecdotal notes for all students on that project. Edsby saves me time, helps me organise my students work, values students voice and participation, helps record all of the assessment as learning done in the classroom.

Cons

I feel that the planner feature needs a lot of improvements. I would love to do all my planning online and then have a potential supply have direct access to them before coming to my classroom. It would also be a great tool to creating equitable working environments where all teachers use the same planners and are not "judged" on their technological literacy.

Meredyth C.

Mostly positive--I like being able to do my planning and documentation and gradebook in one place

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

Better communication with parents and students and more timely feedback. Helps me build a better portfolio on each student so I can look at the whole picture during reporting.

Pros

User friendly and intuitive. It's a great communication tool to connect with parents, too, as they can see feedback. I like that I can make observations about students and record anecdotal notes.

Cons

Uploading documents to attach to lesson plans rarely works--I often type a whole lesson and then when I try to attach resources it doesn't work and I have to eventually close and then my lesson isn't saved. I don't like that I can't print my lessons, either. I've asked several times for this to be an option.

Jennifer H.
Industry: Education Management

Does the job, could be better

Reviewed on 12/06/2020

Overall, Edsby is a decent product that managed all of the basics, but there is much that can be improved upon. It would behoove the developer to sit with an actively working teacher over time and see how the product is working and find the gaps that could be improved.

Pros

I like the ability to be able to copy an assignment to multiple classes rather than creating it multiple times. I also like the ability to create assignments student can complete online with auto grading. That is a huge time saver.

Cons

There were quite a few things that could be improved. The reporting of progress alerts was not the best and the presentation of a line graph as the first view for students as opposed to actually seeing the list of assessments with scores was always problematic. Many students never figure out to click on the next tab and never had a good grasp on their scores. Also, there were some features that were really handy that I NEVER knew about in 3 years of using this product, until all the e-learning took place and there became a sea of information to sort through. Although overall a decent product, I could continue...

Response from Edsby

Thanks for the feedback, Jennifer. Glad you, like many teachers at SDHC, recently learned about other things Edsby can do beyond just report cards. Thanks for the suggestion of making the student "My Work" line graph not the default student view of assessments on browser logins. We're constantly receiving educator feedback and improving the product. Appreciate you taking the time.

John V.

Incredible way to efficiently communicate what is happening in the class with students and parents

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

Pros

Students can get assignments and information from the class. Parents can view when assignments and tests are due. Parents and students can follow their progression in the class, which prevents surprises at the end of the semester. Easy messaging system for staff, students and parents.

Cons

Sometimes students rely on the information on Edsby too much and don't take responsibility for their own keeping track of assignments. As an administrator, it seems like I can't get rid of old groups which then clutters the management page of groups

Jay E.

A great tool if you buy into it

Reviewed on 13/10/2016

Although there are always some kinks to work out Edsby is a useful tool for both educators and students, however, it needs a full adoption in order for the true benefits to take effect. I look forward to the continued improvements.

Pros

Helping kids organize their assignments and work schedules.

Cons

The app is in need of upgrades and certain glitches are left for too long at times making it difficult to sell people on.

Michael N.

Edsby Gradebook Gets an A

Reviewed on 13/10/2019

I really like that the platform is available on desktop, tablet, and iOS/Android. I have had many parents tell me how easy it is to keep track of student grades.

Pros

I like that there were options for students to have digital assignments. I like the “poll” options. I like that it is easy to communicate with my students and other teachers.

Cons

I would have liked to make a way to transfer grades when a student transfers classes.

Excellent Student Management Tool

Reviewed on 9/11/2018

I've used Edsby as a teacher and a school administrator. As a teacher, Edsby has been an excellent tool to collect evidence of learning and calculate final marks. It's also been a very useful tool for communicating with students and their families. As an administrator, Edsby is very useful for accessing student contact information. We use it as an attendance management tool and the feedback has been positive.

Pros

Ease of access; ease of finding information; ability to tailor content specific to school's needs; user interface for administrators and end users

Cons

Wait times to speak with customer service can be frustrating

Avital A.

A great LMS! Interactive and easy to use

Daily analytics, communications, LMS

Pros

Platform, report cards, features, interactivity, customer service (BOB), notifications, groups, platform, security

Cons

It is missing an important feature where teachers should be able to message students ONLY - That is a feature the company had and removed - promising to bring back and improve - has not happened yet.

Kimberly L.
Industry: Education Management

Great tool to communicate!

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

Easy communication - parents are able to communicate with teachers - and vice versa.

Pros

Easy to access all kids and staff and parents! When there is a message I need to send to students who I do not teach - I can find them and communicate with them easily!

Cons

Things get 'lost' in rivers... they need to be 'bumped' to find them again... I have a hard time finding documents that were shared earlier - as they are pushed to the bottom..

Wendy B.

Best Purchase I've Made

Reviewed on 9/11/2018

Pros

I love the ease of it! It took us less than 2 hours to get up and running. It has improved the communication between staff and with our parents

Cons

I'd like to be able forward messages to other people. Right now we have to cut and paste.

Michael P.
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great

Love it! Wish more trainings~

Pros

I"m a teacher who uses your anecdotal and gradebook! Amazing. All in one place!

Cons

1 I wish we could print off individual subject grades though!

Janice S.

It does some cool extras but has lost some basic necessities.

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

Pros

Communication capabilities within the program that allow for greater communication of various sizes and groups within the school.

Cons

some missing basic necessities like easy printing of student database lists (I do alot of out of class events & having access to printing lists based on grades or gender etc) & grades (switching between percent/levels/out of).

Ligia L.

Edsby Support has always been very helpful as they always seek the resolution to the issue.

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 26/09/2017

Pros

We use this in Elementary and Middle School. Easy way to keep parents and students informed of assignments and how the student is doing. Report card process is easy.

Cons

If the district has some weird issue with a charter school account it can affect Edsby and Edsby has to work with the district. For Report Cards, it would be nice to have an extra day to "fix" report cards after reports can be run by the district.

Cassandra W.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

I use it for attendance - struggle to figure out how to use it for much else.

Easy attendance

Pros

I like that it has pictures of the students. There seems to be lots of uses but can't figure out how to set it up for my program

Cons

Lack of tutorials, lacks back buttons to take you to the previous page - which the students pictures could be enlarged for better viewing

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Katie S.

It has been user friendly

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

I can keep track of online grades easily

Pros

I can communicate to students, easy to maneuver grades, print out of blank rosters and I like how it updates frequently the student list

Cons

Still trying to figure out how to enter a 90 in the same column for everyone besides doing every single one individually

Shelley H.

My Edsby experience

Reviewed on 14/10/2016

The product and support are great.
They always try to improve the product by adding desired functionality.

Pros

It is a one stop shop for educational engagement for staff, students and parents.

Cons

Occasionally updates break other functionality that was previously working.

Grace C.

Good value

Reviewed on 20/03/2018

Pros

most comprehensive learning and analytics platform available for K-12, engaging students, parents and teachers on all of their devices

Cons

combines social networking with class and student management features
Not sure if it's appropriate for young children

Vanessa Z.
Industry: Medical Practice

Great software

Reviewed on 2/11/2016
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

It was easy to use. The instruction sheet clearly showed me how to enter data.

Denise B.

Default Sort By First/Last Name

Reviewed on 10/04/2020

Over all I believe Edsby has a TON of wonderful features and could only be improved with some minor tweaks.

Pros

I like that I can change the Sort order of the students to sort the list by First Name instead of Last Name.

Cons

I don't like that I have to set the SORT order EVERY time I go into my student gradebook - it should be either defaulted to the last setting or let me set my preference globally and have it stay that setting. I also think if I set it to sort by First Name the list should show the names as First Last - instead even though I select to sort by First Name it displays the names in Last First order. :(

Ted H.

Review of Edsby

Reviewed on 11/08/2020

We got in with Edsby when they were new and very small. They have grown tremendously but still stay connected and grow from interaction with their member schools.

Pros

Edsby gives us the ability to connect learners, parents and teachers so that all parties can rally behind the learning and experience of students. It is easy to use and yet has depth which allows our savvy teachers to continue to discover and share features.

Cons

There are always ways in which Edsby needs to adjust to new circumstances, but they are quite adept at responding to these new challenges.

Jan B.
Industry: E-Learning

Teacher's Point of View Review

Reviewed on 22/03/2020

Very good. Simple way to communicate with staff and parents and it is a record of that communication that can be easily sought out and reviewed.

Pros

I like preparing exams on the site that can be graded automatically and sent to the grade book. I like that they can be timed or not. The fact that a teacher could build a huge library of tests that simply are dropped in to the right spot at the right time is very efficient.

Cons

There are a lot of steps and boxes to tick when using the exam bank capability.

We have had Edsby since its inception. We are pleased with most of what it does and aspires to be.

Reviewed on 29/04/2018

It connects teachers, students, and administrators together in an effective way. It is a very good student management system and interface that has the potential to be great.

Pros

The connections that it allows among families, students, teachers and administrators.

The overall look makes sense with grades on one side, the feed in the centre and the courses and libraries on the other side. It is easy to read and fairly intuitive.

As an administrator, I like that I can see most everything so with one piece of software, I can get a good sense of what is going on overall but I also can get granularity, as I need.

I like the ability to Broadcast messages.

I like the ability to get an overview of a student, current as well as past, and a peek into the future re: courses and grades.

The Report Card feature works well.

Cons

NUMBER 1 by far: There are no administrative master switches to do things such as turn off all grades or make them universally the same for all classes. There are certain times of the year that the look for parents and students should be the same. I either have to get each teacher to do it or give someone access to get it done for everyone. This is annoying.

The inability for Edsby to change from day to day re: schedules - so attendance is often difficult to get correct. There is not enough flexibility to do so on our end. So the entire product looks shoddy to parents and students because times are rarely correct. It is tough for our attendance person to determine who is at school and who is not.

The calendar is cumbersome. It takes too long to enter items and it is no easy to read. We have to use a separate calendar system.

Messages are difficult to sort through (though the new sort feature is a great addition).

Looking at past semesters is not easy. There are too many clicks. A single screen with all past grades and links from it would be much better.

Response from Edsby

Thanks for sharing your views on Edsby. Am pleased to share that your number one concern is unfounded - there IS a way in Edsby to do what you seek: you can push class setup options from a course model. Our head of customer success would like you to contact him so he can describe how to do this so you never have to manually do this again! He'd also like to find out more about your schedule concerns. You can reach him as bob(at)edsby.com or toll-free: +1 (877) 337-0070.