Opsgenie

Modern IT incident management and response solution

4.7 /5 (119 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.4
4.6
4.4
4.7
Joshua V.

OpsGenie Journey

Reviewed on 5/03/2020

We needed a way to monitor our infrastructure over the weekend without having to pay someone to physically sit in the building. So we first tried a company would would make a physically phone call to us when an alert went critical. Over time the problem with that was you had to employ a person to make that phone call and it was an expensive option as well. We needed a better ROI on what we were spending.

Pros

Powerful tool to route alerts to different teams. (Phone, Text and Email)
Setting up schedules and teams
Cost is very affordable and you get economies of scale the more people you put on the account and begin using it.

Cons

The filtering of who gets the alerts can be a bit confusing, it does take some time to get used to the setup and configuration of how they do things.
I wish there was an official on boarding program. For example I would have like to have OpsGenie tell me, ok now that you are a customer and based on all the experienced we've gathered you need to do "10 things". Process items, procedures, best practices etc. Because we basically learned as we went and while the product was relatively easy to use it would have been nice to have that instruction at the beginning.

Phil A.
Industry: Publishing

OpsGenie is a no-brainer

Reviewed on 3/08/2018

We use OpsGenie to collect messages from multiple endpoints and manage rules for alerting. Basically our pager duty. Also use the Heartbeats feature for missed execution monitoring.

Pros

The pricing came in below Pagerduty by quite a bit and the features were much more plentiful. Really like the Heartbeats feature.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative to say. It's been an excellent experience with the product since day 1. Any (minor) troubles I've had turned out to be something I was doing wrong.

Juan carlos C.
Industry: Internet

Incident response and monitoring

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Overall my experience has been very good. We use OpsGenie all the time, and it's a critical part of our monitoring stack.

Pros

OpsGenie is very flexible, and relatively simple to setup.
You can get up and running in just a few minutes, or you can spend days customizing the setup to match your teams/policies/services.
Their customer support is really helpful and will help you get set up quickly.
They are constantly releasing useful features (e.g. post-mortem analysis, video conference, etc).

Cons

The onboarding process and best practices are not obvious and require some tinkering to figure out (e.g. best way to structure teams, alerts/incident templates, etc.).
A guided onboarding and a best practices document would be really helpful for first timers.

Adam K.
Industry: Telecommunications

OpsGenie is more like an Ops Miracle Worker

Reviewed on 6/08/2018

Our issue was reliably alerting our staff of equipment warnings and outages. OpsGenie gives us the ability to not only send notifications, but see who received them, who responded, and escalate based on a number of factors to make sure that someone, somewhere is getting the alerts.

Pros

The ability to customize how events are handled is amazing. For example, our Nagios instance sends alerts to OpsGenie, but depending on host name or group that it is in, we can have staff get a phone call in addition to app notification for critical things.

Cons

Honestly we haven't really hit anything that we didn't like. We ran into a hiccup with a bug in the Nagios integration but the OpsGenie support staff were very helpful and quick at fixing the bug.

William N.
Industry: Financial Services

Good, almost great

Reviewed on 19/12/2017

Reliable Alerts monitoring from our application and infrastructure. Without it, we'd either be staring at monitors all night, or waiting for customers to call us and complain. Critical critical app for us.

Pros

The scheduling, routing, and alerting of the alerts is spectacular. Really simple to use, really powerful.

Cons

The new ui for alerts. Yes, its more flexible and exposes more functionalilty that was previously possible. But for 99% of the time its too, too much UI flexibility. When the house is on fire, I want to grab the fire estinguisher and go. Your ui slows me down. It just needs to let me select open, unacked, and closed alerts, SUPER SUPER easily and SUPER SUPER FAST.

Also, the Android app is often unusably slow. I can often boot up my laptop, login to our domain, unlock password manager, and login into the opsgenine website before the stupid app will actually display the alert. Terrible.

Gurpreet V.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great product, highly recommended!

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Customer services and our account manager have been excellent. I put in a recommendation for a feature and it had been implemented within a month. I also received personal communication to let me know that my feature was being implemented! For me, that's amazing customer engagement!

Pros

I like the user-friendly interface and how easy it is to integrate with other applications. The search functionality in the Alerts section is super flexible and easy to use. I have found it very easy to manage and schedule my 8-person team to work 24/7 on complex shift patterns and have call forwarding setup to call desk, work mobile and then personal mobile phones. Ive been very impressed with the capabilities of the Incident Command Center for major incident orchestration. The mobile app is also easy to use and well thought out.

Cons

I haven't anything so far that I dislike.

Andianne F.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

I'll know for sure that I receive my alert, using different channels

Reviewed on 19/12/2017

Fast acting on solving a problem before my customers notice it!

Pros

It has many ways to notify me: push notification, SMS, Phone call, email. And I love the sum of integrations available, easy to set up and customize. It is a must have solution if you need to be sure that you get alerted when some of the services you offer have a problem and needs to respect the SLA. Long story short, you know when something goes wrong before your customer has a chance to notice the problem!

Cons

The search is not finding the correct results sometimes. The phone calls keep coming even after the alert is acknowledged, sometimes I need to answer in order to stop the calls. And what I like the least is that I cannot bulk note and close all the alerts at the same time, it should be a button for that, when 50+ alerts need the same note and close action.

Xavier T.
Industry: Furniture
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Switched from xMatters and not looking back!

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Initial setup was a bit scary as I brought this in to replace xMatters at our company. I was being looked at heavily and I wanted to hit the mark, so the little issues seemed bigger to me. Within a few weeks not only did we conquer some of those setup issues but tweaked this tool to not just replace but give me and my company a lot more power, control, ease of use, etc than we ever had before while handling escalations, notifications to stakeholders, etc.

Pros

Ease of use is the number one item. Some items during the initial setup can be rough or make it look like a total bust, however the engineers/developers here at OpsGenie will get through those and then it's been nothing but smooth sailing since. Started with wanting just a few feature improvements but ended up getting the full build we wanted in a perfect world.

Cons

Initial setup was not very smooth, due to issues on both parties systems. I also do not really like the limits of how much you can do from your phone as an admin/manager, however they have a new phone application coming out very soon I've heard that remedies most of the limitations (until I see this myself, it's a con but soon to be another pro).

Industry: Automotive
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

After looking at competing options, OpsGenie provided the best value overall

Reviewed on 19/12/2017

We went from having end users tell us systems were down, to proactively being alerted about critical issues. With the flood of alert emails coming in from every direction, it was just not feasible to respond to every email that chimes on your phone. OpsGenie allowed us to filter out the garbage and know that if my phone is ringing in the middle of the night, it's something worth being woken up for.

Pros

Frankly, most of the products in this category do basically the same thing. OpsGenie's advantage is the cost, especially when you look at the co-marketing being done. OpsGenie and Solarwinds working together to replace Alert Central is a great example.

Cons

The filtering can be a little complicated, but that is to be expected. Otherwise I don't have any complaints.

Wouldn't want to run operations without it

Reviewed on 19/12/2017

Pros

Instant notification of issues and everyone in the team is aware when someone has acknowledge a task for investigation or completion

Cons

Some of the UI elements are confusing or non-intuitive. For example if you have a list of items that you want to close individually, you need to swipe, but the prior item closing will reset your swipe which is pretty frustrating when you are reviewing many items.

Persistent NOC Operator

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

It's an excellent software. It does the job that it's supossed to, and keeps logs of all its actions.

Pros

* Sometimes NOC operators hesitate to reach out to Sysadmins when an alert comes in the middle to the night, thus losing valuable time when an unidentified outage appears. OpsGenie does not hesitate, and if proper configured, it'll have a sysadmin looking into that alert faster than a NOC operator could.

Cons

* Only sometimes, even when an alert has been closed, the software keeps calling you. I think software engineers have to work better with queues.

Manny F.
Industry: Education Management
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

OpsGenie is the correct solution for us.

Excellent

Pros

Exceeds expectations. Is always available and performs the alerting needed.

Cons

The mobile app does not provide access to the same information as the browser inteface.

Markland M.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

OG review

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Pros

I like that I can use this software for live alerting for security use

Cons

I am not sure if I have any cons as of yet. I'll keep you updated

Industry: Computer Software

We use OpsGenie to successfully monitor our servers all over the world

Reviewed on 29/12/2017

Pros

It is easy to receive and acknowledge alerts or assign them to another person. The alert settings can be customized to override your phones do-not-disturb settings.

Cons

Adding a new person to the on-call rotation can be a bit tricky, if you only want it to adjust schedules starting on a given date.

Zied E.

Great

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Very good overall. A bit expensive but works well.

Pros

Works well internationally. Works as expected.

Cons

A little expensive. Difficult to configure.

Toby B.

OpsGenie is easy to configure and use, it has definitely helped us address our on call pain points.

Reviewed on 27/12/2017

OpsGenie really helped us address our on call and escalation pain points internally.

Pros

OpsGenie is easy to configure and use, it has definitely helped us address our on call and escalation pain points. The mobile app is also quite good.

Industry: Internet

phone calls from different #s

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 6/08/2018

I just use the thing, im an end-user not even a manager.

Pros

its funcational. you want more? I dont have more, just a critique.

Cons

The phone #s where the calls originate for my account have changed, which causes me some grief with my phone settings. I silence my phone at night except for OpsGenie's number. I would like for just one originating phone # so I can be sure my alerts will get through.

Abraar A.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Great Integration Support

Reviewed on 1/08/2018

OpsGenie has great functionalities with an awesome user-friendly interface that anyone can understand. They have many out of the box API integration options which allow for you to integrate this app seamlessly with you current applications.

Pros

The support team is phenomenal - they are real support that interact and truly enjoy problem solving technical issues, instead of the typical support members that you encounter that just read off a script and do basic troubleshooting.

Cons

There is not much custom integration allowed.

Sumitha M.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Best alerting tool is much apt word for this tool

Reviewed on 19/01/2018

No alerts are missed out and actioned on timely basis especially during the outage time.

Pros

For any alerting tool which can be reliable on needs prompt alert various channels of alerts, second level notification, escalation metrix routing....all these are very much used in this tool.

Cons

Though anyone in the team access the ops genie app still the alert must be triggered to the on call engineer, it needs to fix to the oncall chart which will avoid any unacknowledged alerts.

Ian M.
Industry: Research
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

OpsGenie is great out of the box!

Reviewed on 13/08/2018

We don't have a NOC or SOC so we leverage automated alerts to notify us that there are issues needing our attention. This has helped reduce downtime as they now route to the person who is on-call.

Pros

The ease of installation and configuration. And the support team was great to help get things configured quickly.

Cons

Some items weren't as intuitive to configure but the support team helped with that quickly.

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Pagerduty but better

Reviewed on 3/08/2018

the company I work for is switching from Pagerduty to Opsgenie. I find the end user experience is more fluid and intuitive.

Pros

It is easy to navigate the web interface, but the cellphone interface is amazing.

Cons

I value function over fashion. If I had any compliant it would be the color scheme. Very minor in the grand scheme of things.

Industry: Information Services

Solid call routing/management software

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

We use this software to route after hour calls to engineers.

Pros

Phone app is very easy to use.
Has a ton of features.
Schedule and users are very configurable.
Very easy to use and reliable.

Cons

I didn't find any yet, neither did my team mates.

Industry: Computer Software

Useful tool for managing your ops team

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Useful tool, get's the job done.

Pros

good alerting capability with lots of options for different types of alerts and notifications

Cons

Every time I want to look at the overall schedule I have a hard time finding it...not something I need to do that often, but often enough that I remember fumbling around looking for it a few times.

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Informational

Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Great product .great value

Pros

Easy usage. Good interface. Lot of info I'm one screen

Cons

Renewal process is nor simple. You need to improve the process.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Matt J.

We looked at the rest, we took OpsGenie!

Reviewed on 30/12/2017

Pros

OpsGenie provides a service similar to the other On Call distribution tools, but we decided on OpsGenie due to their competitive cost, and a sense that they would respond to our feature requests, and our many demands! We wanted all of our developers to be on call, not just our ops team, so we quickly found other solutions were priced out of our range. OpsGenie price was fair, and allowed us to spread responsibility to all of the people in our organization that deserve a 2AM wake up call. Also, they have proven to be responsive to our requests.

Cons

The UI has so many options, that it can be a little hard to find exactly what you need if you aren't familiar with it. But it doesn't take long to figure our where things are.