Lavu

Cloud-based iPad POS system for the restaurant industry

3.3 /5 (88 reviews) Write a Review!
3.3
Stephanie S.

Not really for Bars

Reviewed on 27/10/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We're a high volume craft beer bar. It can start tabs. It works for now. If the complaint list keeps growing, we'll have to switch. It works fine, but when it doesn't work, it totally halts service.

Pros

I guess it's easy to use, but it's kinda clunky. Programming is inconsistent across different devices. The speed is ok. It does what I need it to do, which the #1 reason I went with Lavu over Square was that you could start a bar tab with a preauthorization.

Cons

LAVU complaints

Should get Free set up support 1 month a year; if there is an update we should get free support
Quick serve shouldn't disappear
Can't Add a cc to an existing tab - currently deletes the new order
Needs Select and Repeat button
Needs Fewer approval buttons
Should Show change on screen
Should add auto grat to total tips
Can't Change auto grat, % or amount
On tip page, be able to enter tip or total, and show total.
Entered tips should disappear from screen - be able to filter list
On End of Day reports page, discounts and auto grat need to be included. Auto grats dont go to the business. Service charges do.
Auto grats need to show on payments page
Chip cards cant start tabs. Cant have 2 processors in lavu - chip card and swipe card types
Tip screen times out , and deletes entered tips

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Heather B.
Industry: Restaurants

A good system but customer support is most often disappointing

Reviewed on 5/01/2018

Pros

Joshua Maestas from customer service was so incredibly helpful. He took time to listen to the complicated scenario we were trying to resolve. He followed up when and how he said he would. Most of the time our customer service experience is frustrating but he was truly a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Back end reporting; customer service. There are programming bugs and we continuously are told "development is working on it" but never saw any resolution. If it isn't a priority for you and not intended to be fixed then don't tell us it is being fixed.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Wes O.

STAY AWAY

Reviewed on 27/11/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The interface is user friendly, and tickets get sent to kitchen without many problems. But we could do this with paper

Cons

Everything else! Whenever we have a issue they send it to the "developmental team" also known as the black hole. When we signed up they said "offline processing was in the works" that was 2 years ago. Reports are literally ALWAYS wrong. If you look at sales on two different reports they never are the same. For a span of about three months they miscalculated sales tax, having us over pay hundreds of dollars! For a long time they randomly doubled numbers on server reports, and now there is a random .50 added to numbers on servers reports. I have a tax background an I informed them the liability they were putting on us and our servers by misreporting so they showed me on the IRS website where they were right, THEY SET UP THERE SYSTEM BASED OFF THE WRONG PART OF THE IRS CODE. Not to mention that it randomly opens tickets from all different times that we have to re-close and I'm not sure we get paid for them or not. When we call customer support they are really nice, but our issues always get sent to the "Developmental Team" to never be heard about again!

Brian K.
Industry: Restaurants

After one full year - still happy

Reviewed on 13/06/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Overall, a good product and always recommend to others.

Pros

System is fairly easy to use and navigate. Easy to setup menus and configure accordingly. Customer support is pretty responsive and quick although sometimes questionable knowledge to help with all situations. Cost for system is excellent.

Cons

Fonts can be a bit small on pos interface and thus hard to read. No big cons to comment on other than have had some big hassles configuring system to work with different credit card merchants and being bounced back and forth with customer support to resolve.

Jet J.

A value buy

Reviewed on 15/05/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This product works very well for me and gives me a great value at the price point of the equipment.

Pros

It is very customizable. I'm a midsize family business and the cost really hits the sweet spot. The fact that they use apple only products forces me to pay a premium price for the hardware but I know that the equipment will retain its value. They always end up answering my questions even if it takes a while but I can make changes and check the numbers instantly.

Cons

This product does need to be used with a fast internet set up. My set up is 75/75 so it's quite fast. I have no problems with it working and can make changes anywhere but I'm tech savvy and I do suggest an additional purchase of a laptop if you do not have one to do in depth tracking and editing.

Jason K.

Generally Satisfied, no Major Issues

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 13/06/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I like your service in general. No serious issues.

Pros

I like all the options that you see and change yourself on the backend from the internet. General usability is also pretty easy and straight forward.

Cons

Not many cons. Some functions like splitting checks seem to be a bit complicated for some of our waitresses. The more intricate features, which is to be suspected I suppose. We have also had some problems with customer service in the past, one person telling us it's the credit card merchant and them telling us to call you, very complicated and a pain in the ass. Your customer service reps need to know what they are talking about.

Jurij K.

I had an overall excellent experience with Lavu, especially with Jessica Schell

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

control over my business especially financial over view as to what we are doing and where the business is going.

Pros

Its easy to use, very user friendly and the good thing is you get a accustomed to the system really face. Definitely a software I would recommend to any start up business and big business that is in the food and beverage industry.

Cons

I was not happy so see that the printer options limit you to use only Epson. Not being able to get an Epson, I use a Bixolon, which is provided in the drop down menu but no options what so ever. Having had said that I am not able to add my logo on the receipts since i can´t configure this within the Lavu software I have no option as to leave the receipt without logo!!

Lauren P.

Constant Interruptions

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

I enjoy the reports and the admin website.

Pros

The software is very easy to use and the reporting system is great.

Cons

We have constant interruptions including but not limited to: data parse errors with the credit card processing company, iPads going down, the admin website going down, drawers locking up and printers going offline, etc. The customer service is mediocre when you can actually reach someone. Don't bother calling in for help, they don't answer the phone.

Susan M.
Industry: Food & Beverages

I used this software for a few years

Reviewed on 24/07/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The non-support from this company is ridiculous

Pros

I did NOT like anything about this software

Cons

This was slow, confusing, the updates were not well telegraphed, I always felt like a "test subject"

David B.

This is a great system.

Reviewed on 16/10/2015

New employees have no problem using it right away. Very intuitive. It makes other super expensive systems like micros and aloha dinosaurs. I had a couple of issues at the beginning but all were easily resolved. Technical support has been great too. I love the backend real time reports and how easy it was to set up and change menu items. My servers are also very happy with poslavu and they love taking orders on iphones. I don't understand any of the bad reviews, I believe the issues must be user error not the system itself. POSLavu is releasing updates all the time and I'm excited to see what else I'll be able to do in the future. I believe this is a great company who is dedicated to improving an already great pos system. I do recommend getting a Mac mini local server.

Dennis A.
Industry: Entertainment

We so regret the day we heard of Lavu

Reviewed on 14/08/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Lavu is a POS and we dont point of sale

Pros

There is nothing we like about Lavu There is nothing we like about Lavu There is nothing we like about Lavu There is nothing we like about Lavu There is nothing we like about Lavu

Cons

This is the worst decision we have ever made........we have had nothing but problems and customer support is sorry.........Our system has given us problems from day one and the only reason we are still with Lavu is because we paid a year in advance and the crooks wont give us our money back

Response from Hilary

Hi Dennis,

We are so sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing. Edgar from our Care team will be reaching out to you today to see if we can find a resolution. We very much appreciate your business and are committed to making things right.

Anand S.

Lavu has helped my restaurant reach new heights

Reviewed on 10/05/2016

Pros: very efficient product.. has only malfunctioned once in the four years that I have been using this product and their customer support helped me resolve the issue in less than an hour

Cons: none to date

Lavu has honestly helped my restaurant become a hit around town. Before I bought this POS system my waitstaff and just overall service was lacking. Lavu has made my restaurant service 10x quicker and has also helped me better track overall trends, which in turn has led to increased sales over the past four years. I highly recommend this system!

Kc K.

Pos for a restaurant.

Reviewed on 12/01/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have been using the LAVU pos for two years. The pos itself is ok and good for a small-medium size restaurant and hotel.
However, the tech support is horrible and not support you efficiently at all. They are not educated nor trained at all. They also ignorant for a technical matter. All they say is it should be recovered soon. And they hang up your call if you question more than what they can answer. So all they know is "should be backed up soon so wait".
Don't call the service it's waste your time.
Their server is not stable at all. Once in a month at the busiest lunch time, your server would be disconnected. That's what's happening to us. No, support no explanation but they hang up on your call.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Kendall H.

Simple Comprehensive POS

Reviewed on 5/10/2015

POS Lavu has been such an easy transition and very user friendly. It has made it easy to keep track or our products and sales, our employee's love the simplicity of the system. We are a unique industry in the retail space and the staff was very accommodating to make it fit our needs. Would definitely recommend this software. Updates are slow to hit and have had some issues with the card swiper, but yet again their customer service is always there to help.

Lisa M.
Industry: Retail

World-Class Customer Service and Support

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 27/11/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Unparalleled customer service and expert consultants like Josh elevate Lavu POS above the competition.

Cons

Price point for product and services could be more competitive. The start up cost for Lavu POS could deter business owners.

Guy B.

Stay Away!

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 23/10/2020

I purchased a complete system from LAVU on April 2019 with the intent to upgrade my existing POS from CAKE which served me well the first 4 years of running my restaurant, but being somewhat of a basic system I started feeling like it was holding me back. LAVU was running a 50% off on hardware so I called and spoke to a salesperson. Let me tell you, I wish I had recorded the conversations, as there was very little in common between what was verbally promised and what was actually delivered, VERY LITTLE! Typical sales tactics, they put extreme pressure on you to sign up (do it in the next 6 hours or the promotion expires), give you practically no time to read the fine print, and all of a sudden you find yourself in a 3 years contract with ridicules early termination penalties and a service provider that is incapable of delivering half of what was promised. They count on you not having the time or resources to take them to court. Last remaining hardware piece originally promised arrived 5 months later! Thank god I kept my CAKE system going or I would have gone out of business. Their customer service is of the lowest level you would ever see, especially from an IT company, they provide practically no solutions to issues or a very vague future fix, and their system keeps crashing leaving you with no ability to run your business mid-day and with no warning, time after time. They send you system-wide emails apologizing saying their system was hacked and therefore the interruption i

Pros

There are no Pros, this is an awful system and the worst customer service / sales team in the industry

Cons

Be very careful when they offer you interest free financing for the hardware, that's how they trick you into paying the software fee for 3 years in advance with NO way out

Gede S.
Industry: Restaurants

Dissapointed with costumer service and sales!

Reviewed on 15/08/2020

Thi POS is great, simple adn easy. Disappointed of how coustmer service followed up to solving problem. And also, we have a plan to open another 1 account because we open new bar, we tried reached up by email, phone, they just asnwer to follow up but nothing happen.

Pros

This POS was great, easy to use and you can syncronized to other cloud system inventory. Features and function are supply great actually for low-medium restaurant capacity.

Cons

The missed up of this POS are the total of revenue doesn't matching, has to be manual counted after cashier closing. Cloud uploading data is really slow now, bill that has been closed was reopened by themselves. All revenue i've got not accurate on back office sides. I have contacted their custumer support to get assist from them but they reply another 3 or 4 days after and didn't fixed what we complained about. As manager incharge to responsible of revenue and accuration product sold got frustrated.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Jamie B.

Not A Fan -Would suggest Pen & Paper

Reviewed on 8/02/2018

Benefits: It was a band-aid for when I didn't have anything. LAVU has now become an albatross around the neck of our business.

Pros

Generically, the price is what what the draw for me an my small Craft Beer bar. I even recommended it at the beginning to a few other customers, but it was a mistake.

Cons

Not customer support per se, but the fact that when they utter "development team" right there, there is no hope your problem will be solved. None. They now call a problem that needs the development team a "Feature Request" which is the nice way of them saying, "No, we are not going to fix it, ever". A "Feature Request" sounds like you are imposing on them to do something special for you, instead of just fixing the software to work as intended

The back end web software is in shambles and rarely works as advertised. The reporting features give you decent onscreen views, but you cant reprint a ticket that you can see on their backend web interface. The "print layout" for some tables dont work and give random data.

Discounting system is not robust.

Response from Lavu

Hi Jamie, We're sorry to hear your experience with Lavu has not been positive. We strive to provide the best experience for our customers and would love another opportunity to try and resolve any issues. Please call our 24/7 Customer Care team at 855-767-5288 or email us at [email protected] Thank you, Lavu

Josef M.

Easy POS without backup.

Reviewed on 6/04/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

A simple system, but not for areas with semi frequent internet outages.

Pros

Lavu is a very cost effective and easy to setup POS system on the market. From a server interface it was clear and logical.

Cons

The biggest problem with this system is what happens when the WiFi goes down. It has trouble sending tickets and will not store credit card information for later processing.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Jeffrey D.

Reviewed on 17/06/2016

To the team at POS LAVU, Just wanted to thank you guys so much for listening to some of our concerns over the years about upgrades to your systems. When we came on board with you guys we were somewhat hesitant to your system. After we made the change we feel as if we all have grown together. We would like to personally say thank you for the time and effort you have put into your growth and we expect to be with you for many many more years. And by the way we now have 3 restaurants with your system and are looking to upgrade two more...Again thank you from all of us at the Pugliese Group...

Mark M.
Industry: Restaurants

Solid product with exceptional online support response time

Reviewed on 5/01/2017

We have a small coffee house and cafe open for breakfast & lunch. LAVU system is perfect for our needs. Extremely easy to navigate for both service staff and back office. Handhelds are easy and super convenient for guests and servers. Minor issues with some of the hardware and wishing they had more easily customizable reports. But I will say that they have been very receptive about creating new reports.

Pros

Easy to navigate for both service staff & back office.

Cons

Reports are lacking.

Dana M.
Industry: Restaurants

Great, when it works (which is seldom does anymore)

Reviewed on 26/10/2019

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility, competitive pricing.

Cons

For three weeks in a row it has stopped working during peak hours on weekends. Customer service is a voice mail saying "we know there is a problem. This has become more of a sales organization than a tech and service one. Just horrible. Ruining our business. Stressing us out.

Lianne Z.
Industry: Restaurants

Other than software issues we like it a lot.

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 5/12/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Set up is easy and logical, et is easy to use and does what we need it to do...and excellent customer support.

Cons

Sometimes you can be on hold for a really long time...have tried the call back option but didn`t get a call back...

Katie W.

Lavu makes it easier!

Reviewed on 25/10/2016
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

As a restaurant that focuses on local ingredients with constantly changing specials, the image option for ordering in Lavu is important for servers and cooks to be on the same page. When you have lots of brunch items as specials, sometimes everything looks the same under Hollandaise sauce!

Pros

Easy to split a check

Cons

Sometimes when we have bad weather the connectivity has issues. But that's not just the POS (cell phones, television, etc.) so you just need to be careful in those situations.

Tarina A.

Lavu Software Review

Reviewed on 8/01/2019

I have had an overall very good experience with Lavu at my previous hostessing job.

Pros

I like how detailed it is and how many convenient features it entails. Very effective for restaurant employees and managers.

Cons

I don’t like how it can be very confusing to find everything and properly learn how to use the software.