KPMG Spark

Online bookkeeping specifically aimed at small businesses

4.5 /5 (102 reviews) Write a Review!
4.5
4.4
Joanne L.
Industry: Higher Education

Not for everyone. Software and Support are excellent, but not geared to my business needs.

Reviewed on 21/06/2018

First, it's not only software, there is a person at the company that is assigned to you and knowledgable about your account.
It helped me to get on top of my finances and get them organized. However, it's more for business and does not meet my needs. I switched to managing budgets and transactions at YNAB.

Pros

What I liked most was that I had a dedicated bookkeeper that I could work with, who was available and accessible. The software and communications process was easy. I didn't wast time trying to track anyone down. Response times are great. Everyone was easy to talk to and to work with. Polite, helpful, and responsive.

Cons

My "business" is low transaction with over fewer than 10 bank accounts. One account is a business account, the others (linked) are personal accounts. The issues I ran into are:

1) I needed reports by each of the accounts, that was not easily generated by bookly, my dedicated person had to do it manually. It was wonderful that they did, but it wasn't always correct (because it needed a lot of info from me) and so the reports weren't as useful as I had hoped.

2) Unforeseen problems: The "view only" access to my (personal) bank accounts triggered major problems. That second username triggered all my lined accounts to be unlinked and auto-payments stopped. I was NOT notified by the bank! My mortgage was late and I have to live with remove the late mark on my credit report.

3)Taxes: I wanted to submit them on time had my information to Bookly well in advance of April 15. They were not done on time, and they only have paper submissions now, so I had to print and mail all the forms. Furthermore, because they are submitted on paper, it takes several more weeks to have them processed by the IRS (and probably the states too).

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Kenny B.
Company size: Self Employed

Bookly charged me for services I never used.

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 10/07/2017

Nothing but pain.

Pros

The software and concept are good but the company does not conduct itself professionally. They made assurances that they could come up with a solution but ultimately, they failed to do so and still wanted me to pay.

Cons

I received a trial subscription from Bookly and started working with some of their personnel. The staff were very friendly but were not knowledgable enough to figure out the complexity of my needs. Note that my needs were not that complicated. After trying to find a workable solution for me, they deemed I needed to use their partner software named Xero. After multiple attempts and phone conferences, they still were unable to come up with a system that would meet our needs. Subsequently, they ceased correspondence and since I was on a free trial, I let it go. Several months later I noticed on my credit card statement that they had been charging me monthly for their services. I reached out to them again multiple times and long story short, they wouldn't refund my money. I have all the emails to corroborate this story and ultimately, I had to go to my credit card company which disputed the charges and refunded my money. Needless to say, I was shocked and disappointed that Bookly would not refund the charges they had applied for work they never did. It's sad that I had to go to my credit card company to get things right.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Desmond T.

Amazing Serice

Reviewed on 15/08/2018

I’m having an Amazing experience wiht Bookly! If you’re looking for bookkeeping for your business, this is the best service that’s out there, and you can’t beat the price for the value they provide which is really a lot of value. They actually should charge more for the service, but I don’t mind paying the current fees. However, I’m sure they’ll increase the price in the future as that’s normal for any business. Do yourself a favor and go ahead and get started NOW. You’ll thank yourself later, as you’ll more time to do what you do best in your own business.

Pros

Easy to use as the service connects directly to your account.
Weekly emails regarding your P&L
Easy to reach your accountant.
Affordable price.
Amazing support.
There’s so much more, I don’t have much time to list everything.

Cons

I don’t have any cons for Booky. The service has been so Amazing, I actually don’t have any cons.

Elisa E.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Good booking system but lacks some basic functions

Reviewed on 12/07/2018

Great for scheduling and booking.

Pros

This is a simple to using booking program that you can upgrade with add-ons. It is super easy to use and allows you to keep track of appointments.

Cons

It tends to get very glitchy and as wordpress updates, they don't release patches as quickly as they probably should. If you email customer service, they do respond, but sometimes it takes a while to get a response.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Ryan L.

Value is worth the cost

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 1/03/2017

The value is 100% worth the cost. Bookly's accounting software isn't as high speed as as quickbooks. However, they make it up with their customer support. The cost of bookkeeping from Bookly is best I've seen on the market.

Pros

It is simple and user friendly.

Cons

I am not able to upload my own transactions VIA a CSV file. And the limited amount of reports the software is able to generate.

Paul R.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Game Changer

Reviewed on 3/01/2019

Pros

Spark makes it easy for me to focus on my customers and not spending my time worried about keeping order of my books. The staff is super helpful and always available to answer any random question I may have about how my money is flowing.

Cons

I Don't have anything that I would list as a con. Thank you Spark for letting me focus on whats important.

Greg M.
Industry: Insurance

Great service and easy to use.

Reviewed on 19/01/2018

Pros

Support behind platform is what stands out. The layout and reporting is just what most small business's need.

Cons

An occasional glitch in the reports happens, but the support after the fact is great. Other than that no problems.

Jeremy E.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Great Programs

Reviewed on 5/06/2017

Its all in one and easy to use.

Pros

I like how it has everything in one. I can do my invoicing and keep up with all my finances. I do a lot of work out of office and can keep up with all my billing and finances on my Ipad. I highly recommend the program

Cons

I have been trying to change the name of my company, I can't find how to do that. We renamed our company. I also am having problems downloading my bank account information into Bookly. I haven't contacted support yet.

Sumit S.
Industry: Retail

Had one of the worst experience with them, using their bookkeeping and tax filing services!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2/08/2017

unnecessary stress, the thing I thought they would help solve with their service

Pros

- Supposedly cheaper than a traditional bookkeeper, but the amount of time you spend correcting them is not worth it.
- Friendly sales people, but poor problem solving skills. I had to follow up with them constantly to get work done.

Cons

Everything. They could not deliver what they promised. Over-promise, under-deliver should be their moto. Plus they have a gap in their tax filing process, but they would not own up to it. It has cost me more than IRS fees due to their oversight and mistake.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Rebecca W.
Industry: Consumer Services
Company size: Self Employed

I actually look forward to financial meetings!

Reviewed on 7/02/2017

I could not be happier or more impressed with the bookly team. They are wonderful to work with, really know what they're doing and have an amazing work ethic, while still managing to be calm, friendly and relaxing to work with. They keep coming to my financial rescue time and time again. They are also helping a complete procrastinator and slacker like myself get ahead of problems and truly be on top of my businesses finances. The most amazing part is how little time it is taking me to make that happen. They have streamlined the process and the amount of work required from me is minimal. i truly could not imagine finding a better financial service.

Pros

Cons

Nothing. It's amazing.

Travis G.
Company size: Self Employed

Very Helpful. As a start-up, we need all the help we can get, especially with financial things.

Reviewed on 26/05/2017

financial organization, everything in one place, friendly service, company that can handle us now matter how small we are or how big we become.

Pros

Easy to understand and intuitive. I like the fact that each expense and income source can be categorized.

Michael A.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Best decision for my company

Reviewed on 27/01/2017

I knew I was getting in over my head and needed a partner so I could focus on my growing business. Bookly is that partner for me. I know I'm in good hands and they take care of my bookkeeping, have a CPA for my regulatory questions, and offer payroll to set me up with confidence for future growth.

Do yourself a favor and partner with them today so you can focus on what do what you do best too.

Pros

Easy to use and the support team is great

Cons

Looking forward to a few. New features in the billing module

Jesse O.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Great product that I would recommend to others.

Reviewed on 2/08/2017

Ease of use.

Pros

Quick access to reporting, whereas before, I had to email my bookkeeper and wait for several days before I could get the same reports. Also is something is miscategorized, there is easily functionality to recategorize the expense.

Cons

Sometimes there is some lead time to get questions/issues resolved. This has improved as both my bookkeeper Dora and myself have gotten accustomed to our needs.

Stephanie E.

So far so good!

Reviewed on 6/10/2017

Looking forward to getting books up to date real time and up to date whenever I want to see where our company is financially.

Pros

Seems easy to navigate, easy reporting functions. The bookkeeper assigned is readily available to get everything set up.

Cons

Cannot always do auto loading of credit union accounts. It has been a longer process to get set-up and my books caught up.

Ghanshyam P.
Industry: Food & Beverages

It's a wonderful service that keeps me up to date with my business.

Reviewed on 12/09/2017

It keeps me up to date about my finanaces.

Pros

I love how simple it is to and how affordable it is. The best part is that I am assigned to one person who looks after all my books.

Cons

I love it but I wish there was a mobile app for it especially for IOS so I can have Bookly with whenever and whenever.

Ashley L.

CCF Bookly Review

Reviewed on 21/03/2017

Bookly has been tremendous in helping me organizing my goods and keeping me up to date. There level of engagement is great... they are there to remind and nudge you to get the important things done.

Pros

ease of use. system is comprehensive but easy to use. I like the reports

Cons

going back and reconciling

Erin S.

Bookly is Awesome

Reviewed on 3/03/2017

Bookly saves me so much time! Especially because book keeping isn't something I want to spend my time doing!

Industry: Education Management

Professional services for a Startup and into the future

Reviewed on 5/04/2019

Very pleased. Love Michael, our bookkeeper

Pros

Love the dashboard and ease of viewing transactions.

Cons

Invoicing. I need a paper invoice so I can set up autopay

Kimlan D.
Industry: Computer Software

Review Mar 2017

Reviewed on 2/03/2017

It has been a great experience working with assigned staff at Bookly. My account are up to date with detail report every week.

Pros

ease of use

Cons

Categories cannot be in a tree format with sub categories

Charlie H.
Industry: Telecommunications

Not Pleased

Reviewed on 27/01/2017

Problem with checking account linking up again, have sked several times that I get a text to
my phone, none as of this date. Someone was to call me during working hours to fix problem, no voice mails to date 01-27-2017, not having very good results so far. I thought this would be great?

Pros

Cons

A little more detail or more options with the chart of accounts

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Michael S.

Amazing Bookly staff are kind an accurate

Reviewed on 29/05/2018

Accuracy Financial Intelligence monthly budget planning It really helps us be sure of where all our money is going !

Pros

They help my small business improve daily ! Every-time I call they are more than willing to help me take my business to the next level.

Cons

NO CONS Bookly is a asset to my company we love bookly ! I'am sure if you test drive bookly you will be happy as well .

John B.
Industry: Music

Great service

Reviewed on 3/01/2019

Great experience. Good people to work with.

Pros

Fast and easy to get your up to date reports as soon as the day, week, month, or quarter ends.

Cons

The graph hasn’t been working very well.

Penny F.
Industry: Retail

Easy Reliable service

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 17/09/2018

Pros

I like that I can know at any time how my business is doing.
Everything is updated in real time and very easy to use.
The payments are monthly and very reasonable.
Super easy and helpful for Tax preparation.

Cons

I am really satisfied with this service, at the last 2 years I am using it.

Paul G.
Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Awesome easy way to handle horrible tedious but necessary accounting chores! It's fast and easy!

Reviewed on 22/11/2017

Peace of mind that things are do correctly, accurately, and my taxes will be done easily. Confidence in the abilities of the accountants, and that helps me rest assured. Time - I spend less time trying to figure out software I don't understand, and more time enjoying my life.

Pros

The "ask your accountant" feature. It makes it easy for me to ask about confusing expense categories. I also love that my accountant can ask me about things that are unclear to her too. I also love the simplicity of the software and how easy it is to use, download transactions directly from my bank, and upload receipts. It makes seeing the big picture easier. I've used it for nearly a year now, and I love,. Don't do any more work than you need to, just like Bookly.co get it done for you. I am for the first time in years not dreading tax time next year! It is so comforting to know that all our business finances are taken care of my knowledgeable, smart, thorough accountants. I do wish there was a scanning feature built-in, but that's not what the software does! It's okay that I have to scan in the receipts and then upload them, it just takes more time than I want to dedicate but I can even do it with my phone which is pretty convenient and cool. The software is so much better than using Quickbooks, especially Quickbooks for Mac. There is a huge learning curve with Quickbooks, and I'm not an accountant. With Bookly.co you don't need to be an accountant, or even pretend to be one! They take the pain out of small business accounting.

Industry: Computer Software
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Easy to manage appointments

Reviewed on 10/03/2018

I have been maintaining business meeting with clients.

Pros

It provides an automatic tool for booking schedule with clients. We never worry to miss any meeting schedule. I always get touch with my business client through notification popup. We can easily add it to WordPress. It also saves my time and money.

Cons

It should show the previous schedule which we missed anyhow. I would like to more enhancements in GUI.