1,260 reviews

Todoist

To-do list & task manager to organise your life and work.

4.6 /5 (1260 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
4.5
4.3
4.6
4.4
1,260 reviews
Darien C.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Todoist is a powerful, intuitive to-do list application with many features & only a few flaws

Reviewed on 10/01/2021

Overall, Todoist has been a life-saver, allowing me to simplify my work life and organize the numerous projects & tasks I have to juggle. While it can be complicated at times and lacks certain features I would love to see, it is the best project management app I've ever used, and I would sorely miss it if Todoist were to be shut down.

Pros

Todoist has simplified my work life - helping to organize all my tasks, projects, and meetings in a simple way that ensures no project is missed. While there is a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to best utilize & organize the platform, the simplicity of it's core features makes it easy for anyone to pick up and use. You are able to hop on their website or app and add a task in an instant; with the ability to schedule the due date, priority, and set it up in a specific project very quickly using their shortcuts. With their team collaboration features, you are also able to assign specific tasks to specific people, allowing for quick and ease collaboration and project management. Plus, Todoist offers numerous templates that help facilitate setup, and a very simple "Karma" rewards system that helps encourage use (and helps make you feel accomplished).

Cons

Todoist offers numerous systems, but unfortunately it can be a bit of a learning curve to learn all the shortcuts (especially when they change periodically) and an effective way to organize the projects & tags. As well, while they offer simple ways to import their templates and allow you to export templates of your own, they don't offer a simple cloud storage solution for those templates - so to load an exported template, you need to download it, keep it, and reupload it when needed. Lastly, they lack the ability to setup certain types of tasks; such as a task with subtasks that all repeat weekly - currently you can schedule them all to happen each week, but the subtasks end up getting listed as full tasks on the due date.

Timothy K.
Industry: E-Learning

The Todo app I've been looking for!

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

Been looking for a todo app which has syncing and multi-platform support and this comes out trumps. I can manage my work as well as personal tasks, schedule them, tag them. Coupled with PomoDone app I can timebox the tasks which is a great combo

Pros

Multi-device, syncing, can have hierarchies of tasks, can tag tasks, filter the easily and save filter searches. Android and web app is brilliant in particular

Cons

Reminders on Android could be improved, many of my tasks get swallowed up by other tasks and I miss reminders, being able to address stagnant tasks (ones I keep postponing I have ADHD so it happens a lot), Google Home app could be improved it's annoying to keep asking to talk to todoist instead of adding a task directly, also you can't schedule tasks in Todoist

Laura P.
Industry: Media Production

Easy To Use, Not So Easy To Organice

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

The founder of the company really likes it to keep track of what everyone is doing so I've been using it for the last 5 months (since I started in this company).
But anyway, I actually keep using the Notes App on Mac which is really similar to Todoist but I can keep my tasks private - which is something I wish I could do on Todoist, not sure if there is a way already but it's not very clear who can see what.

Pros

Me and my team really like how easy to use it is.
It helps keeping track of what needs o be done and lets other people know what's been completed.
It doesn't over complicate things and it's really good that you can have it on your phone and get updates on notifications.

Cons

I get that keeping it simple must be the main idea behind this app. However, I'd appreciate if some hierarchy could be applied when organising the tasks.
The way to organise projects on the left part could be, for example, group into folders so once a project is finished you could, for example, move it to an archive folder.

All the Karma points system and the notifications is a bit confusing or just not clear enough. Is it just to cheer you up when you've completed many tasks or has it got any actual purpose?

But the most important: I wish tasks wouldn’t disappear from my inbox right when I complete them.
I wish I could still see them (maybe in a lighter grey colour) so I see what I've completed and then I could manually move them into a project folder when I don't want to see them anymore.

Also, I'd appreciate if some type of colour coding could be applied in some way.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Alex H.
Industry: Real Estate

Daily User

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

After testing just about every task manager available, none come close to the functionality and usability of Todoist. I have been using it for 5+ years and recommend it to anyone who cares about being organized.

Pros

The user interface. Todoist can be as simple or complex as a user wants it to be which is excellent when collaborating with others. I use every feature available while my boss uses it as simply as he can, and we can still share projects and work within the system in whatever way works for us without impacting the other.

Cons

They recently removed a feature that allowed you to click on a Project and see all subprojects and their tasks below. Having to click through each subproject can be tedious (depending on the number of subprojects) and allows some things to fall through the cracks.

Ray V.
Industry: Education Management

Todoist Review

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Very easy to use, flexible, you can enter todo's in different ways and it is really fast and works well with other applications like Outlook and Gmail.

Pros

I really like Todoist in its ease of use and speed. Also the connection with other software is great.
I can use todo lists in Evernote and have them listed in Todoist. I can also mail todo items to Todoist and assign categories and projects as well. Also the use of natural language is great!

Cons

There is not much to not like although through it's simplicity of use you might overlook its real power. It is not bloated at all but i seem to use only its basic features that i can only use fully when i pay for a subscription.

James R.

Worth upgrading to Premium

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

Amazing - great support team as well.

Pros

My life runs on Todoist. I use it for work, family things and my personal life. I love the nested task lists and sub-folders. The newest update took that to a whole new level and I love the section you can add to organize things.

Cons

It can be a little hard to get used to, but once you do, you'll never want to leave!

Antonio M.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

An amazing solution for tracking simple tasks

Reviewed on 11/01/2021

I used it for the last year (during the height of the pandemic) to track my tasks and to deal with everyday organizational issues. It helped me track what needs to be done in a time when every day feels the same.

Pros

It is plain and simple and does exactly what needs to be done. There is no overload of options, just exactly what is advertised - a to do list.

Cons

I loved it and there was nothing more that I would ask for!

Andres M.

Simple and powerful

Reviewed on 5/11/2020

I use it everyday all the time. Is perfect for my personal planning and task management.

Pros

I tried every other app, you name it, and this is the most comfortable in every way. The unique widget to add quickly tasks is incredible.

Cons

Is hard to see past works and how it was plan. I also find it too simple for teams, so for that we use other tools.

A.l. M.
Industry: Writing & Editing

I Love Organizing

Reviewed on 27/09/2019

I ended up using this tool for my personal use instead of business for a while but didn't stick with it.

Pros

I loved that the app allowed notifications to be sent to my phone. I love making lists but once they are done I forget about them. Out of sight out of mind.

Cons

The features were a bit too limited for our team and it was hard to coordinate with other team members.

Bruna B.
Industry: Accounting
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Why TODOIST is a Designer Student Best friend

Reviewed on 17/10/2020

My overall experience with TODOIST is great, I can track my tasks and see milestones and adjust their deadlines.

Pros

I like TODOIST because it has a very friendly interface, I can easily access my tasks and track them, and set deadlines for them.

Cons

Unfortunately, some necessary functions are paid, and micro companies with smaller teams may find it difficult to purchase paid features.

Souhil S.
Industry: Design

The Best To Do List Tool for Everyone

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

It helped me to save a lot of time and stay focused on what's important because now I know what I have to do daily and everything is saved in the app.
I tried a lot of To-Do List apps and after trying Todoist I can say I finally found what I'm looking for and I'm really happy with it and I will recommend it to anyone who needs a To-Do List app.

Pros

I love it because It's Free and easy to use and I like the clean user interface because It's user friendly and everyone can get used to it in a few minutes also, I like the dark theme option.
I like the Productivity tracking feature because now I can see all the completed tasks and I can set daily and weekly goals.
The clean UI is amazing and without any complicated stuff, you can add projects, labels, and filters with just a few clicks.
The mobile app for me is the best because it has all the features and it's very easy and with a clean and simple user interface.
I can sort my Tasks by priority, project, name or by date, or even by the assignee.
I like the Inbox because I can write my ideas or any general tasks and things I need to do and things I don't need to create a project for them.
Today and Upcoming section are great because I see just what I need to do for example today and I really don't need to worry about tomorrow's tasks...etc.and this gives me the motivation I need to start working and finishing my daily tasks.
I like the cards and how easy I can move them between the sections and also, I like the sub-tasks option because it helped me to stay organized.
I like the Emails I get and this is a cool way to remind me if I missed a task or something.
I can schedule any task using their calendar option and I can have like one week or one month calendar.
There is a lot of helpful YouTube videos about this tool and I learned a lot from them.

Cons

They can add a note-taking option for us because sometimes we need to take quick notes.
They can add a built-in Emoji feature to add some fun and cool stuff to our Lists and Projects.
They can add more helpful features for us in the near future.

Yoana B.
Company size: Self Employed

Works really well until I had too many tasks and then...overwhelm!

Reviewed on 27/08/2020

I really like the interace and ease of use, it's one of my favorite apps in terms of the UI. It's a really quick setup, the fonts are clean and easy to read, the tags and projects are colored nicely, it just wasn't the app that helped me actually get things done.

Pros

While I was using this software, I really liked the sleek and modern interface to add new tasks. It was quick, easy, and the UI was awesome. I wish all task management apps had an UI like Todoist. The tagging feature was also super quick to add, which saves me time adding tasks.

The feature to reschedule tasks I didn't do based on the load for my week was good, not as good as Skedpal (which is why I switched) but better than I've seen in other task managemetn apps I've tried and used.

I also really liked the minimalism of the screen, I never felt that it was too clunky or too many options being displayed at once and overwhelming me.

Cons

The reason I switched is because I had so many tasks added in I became overwhelmed. This isn't necessarily the apps fault, I should add time in my calendar to do a weekly review, etc... but it just wasn't happening. I switched to SkedPal because it schedules the tasks for me on my calendar, ensuring I get them done. With ToDoist, if something didn't get done, I would have an overdue task, and then need to schedule it into my calendar myself and spend time figuring out what time slot, etc..., then go back to Todoist if the time didn't work out, etc... it wasn't flexible enough to auto schedule and place it on my calendar with the option to roll over to the next day if not completed. (At least at the time that I used it). If it's not on my calendar, it doesn't get done because other things will fill my calendar and then I'm out of time and my Todoist tasks are not completed.

Nigel M.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: Self Employed

Get things done in style!

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

I have become a ToDoist advocate and highly promote ToDoist to everyone I work with. My clients have now started to share projects with me and 1:1 collaboration is in place with as many team members that I need to work with.

Pros

ToDoist has been amazing! It's so simple to create shared projects and collaborate in tasks. Start by getting your team together to offload all the clutter from their minds and organise this into manageable workflows.
ToDoist has been great in reducing email, converse more in person and use the comment feature to communicate on each individual task.

Cons

I can't find any faults with it in all the years I've been using it. It's amazing!

Faith M.
Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Keeps Us Organized and On Task

Reviewed on 17/01/2020

Todoist has been a game-changer for us. Its ease of use and interactive feedback helps us stay focused and achieve goals. They continue to work to improve it and a recent update has made using the app even easier. We are never without it when on-site or in the workroom.

Pros

We are theatre costumers who costume 12-14 shows a year. We use Todoist to keep track of all actors and their various costumes needed and the tasks required to complete those costumes. We love how easy it is to add new tasks to an existing one and how flexible each task can be. We can add a due date, assign a team member, and use labels to let us know what needs to be done or where it needs to be retrieved or bought from. It celebrates your productivity and emails you if a task is overdue as well as a report of how you did for the week. We can always tell if we did not use Todoist as faithfully as we should have during a project and in meetings the response to "How do we stay on task and organized?" is always "Remember to update and use Todoist!"

Cons

There is a 300 task limit to every project and we can easily hit that when we are first starting out and getting everything laid out for a show. It would also be nice to add an entire team to a project instead of individuals one at a time.

Shanna T.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Todoist: Where My Professional and Personal Lives Meet

Reviewed on 6/01/2020

Todoist is reliable, simple and collaborative. It's less glitchy than other options, and has streamlined my life so now I can spend more time knocking out my tasks and less time prioritizing work and personal tasks through multiple different systems.

Pros

The Projects Feature is the absolute best part of Todoist! I was working between a few different programs (Outlook, Google Tasks, Google Notes, Smartsheet and Evernote), and needed one central place to keep notes and to-do lists for my personal and professional life. The collaboration tools allow me and my coworkers to share notes and to-do lists on joint projects, and me and and my husband to share home renovation punch lists and store to-buy lists, all in one central place. My life feels so much more streamlined since making the switch!

Cons

Since I've worked with so many different programs, I do miss certain functionalities of other programs: the Gantt-style like Smartsheet offers, the ability to sync with my email as seamlessly as Google and Outlook, and task contingency so that not all "to-dos" are shown at once, but overall I landed on Todoist due to it's simple interface and introducing any of the those features would take away from that.

The one thing I would change for new users is that it's simple, but not intuitive to schedule recurring tasks. I had to Google the answer, and while it's easy (simple typing "every Monday" after the task does the trick) it seems like putting an icon would have been a no-brainer.

Steve M.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The to-do app I've actually stuck with for a long time

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

It's superb for always being ready to go. I really love the Android widget that always sits on my home screen right next to my calendar and weather. It shows my task list for the day and I have no excuse for not knowing what needs doing.

Pros

I have used Todoist for almost 3 years now and it's the one to-do product that I seem to be able to stick with. I went through a variety of to-do-list managers before this, but somehow because of the wide range of platforms that it supports, including a browser extension, a native Windows app, mobile apps, and a native Mac app, Todoist meets my needs really well. So I guess the feature I like the most is it's ubiquity and speed--it's always close at hand. It can even be the default to-do manager on an Alexa device, which is really nice because you don't have to say "open Todoist" or something like that.

Cons

The free version is really limited. I had the paid version for quite a while and then switched back, but miss a few of the paid features. Even simple things like seeing completed to-dos aren't available unless you pay, so consider the free tier to be VERY limited.

Industry: Computer Software

Good value for your money

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

I mostly use Todoist to manage my daily routines. But there are still rooms for improvement for teamwork.

Pros

Keyboard Shortcut is one of the best feature of Todoist. Having the ability to set all information such as time, project, label, etc task without leaving your keyboard is very useful when I plan the tasks for the next day.S

Cons

Sometimes I want to add notes for a task, currently, I have to create the tasks first, then click on each tasks and add the notes, this is a bit cumbersome. Having ability/keyboard shortcut to add notes during task creation would be really helpful.

Kristen G.
Industry: Design
Company size: Self Employed

The perfect tool for keeping your to-do list organized

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

I use ToDoist to keep track of tasks sent to me by clients. I don't use it for project management, extensive notes, or workflow so much as a simple to-do list of projects that need to be completed. Sometimes you don't need to write a lot of details - you just need to be sure you do the task and todoist is the best software I have found for that. Love it!

Pros

I love how it's a no frills to-do list I can access on my computer and phone. I love being able to set up different projects, due dates, and sub tasks. It also helps me with my EOM invoicing so I know what I did for each client.

Cons

I wish I could get more features for free. The comment feature and ability to set reminders look great. Although, Todoist does send me an email every day letting me know what's on my list, so that is very helpful even without reminders.

Industry: Financial Services

How would I live without it?

Reviewed on 5/10/2019

Overall, I wouldn't change anything about the layout of Todoist. I could not stay organized or finish a good portion of my job without Todoist. It's relatively simplistic, but I love that about it, and I appreciate the intuitiveness of the tool in general.

Pros

Todoist is very easy to use. I like that I can create a task and add as many notes to it as I need. When I don't have the time or brain power to finish a project at the end of the day, I create a task in Todoist so I can pick up where I left off the next day. It's easy to move the due date on any task if anything changes. The most significant way I use Todoist is to fill in the gaps on any work processes that are not fully automated. I set tasks out in the future all the time to make sure the final step is compete. Without Todoist I would be at a loss!

Cons

The only thing I don't like about Todoist is it doesn't always log my completed tasks immediately. When I mark a task as completed, it should disappear from my list right away, but sometimes it doesn't update until I have refreshed the page. I'm guessing this is an issue that will be solved by the Todoist team soon.

Industry: E-Learning

What Did I Do Before Todoist?

Reviewed on 21/08/2019

I've definitely seen myself become more productive with the integration of Todoist in my life. I've gotten in a good habit of writing tasks down in Todoist as they come so I'm not forgetting anything. I love that you can just easily have the list in front of you at all times to constantly remember what you have to do. The biggest thing has been the reoccurring tasks - I've been able to keep up with some tasks that can be menial and sometimes slip to the back burner on busy days. I love tracking my progress and really seeing how much I have improved with Todoist.

Pros

What I love about Todoist is how easy it is to organize all my to-dos and tasks for a day and where they fall on my list of priorities. I love being able to quickly jot things down as I'm running from meeting to meeting and integrate it into my Outlook so I get reminders if something slips. Having the option to make something occur weekly has also helped me remember things that sometimes I can let fall in the back of my mind. I've been able to track my progress on how well I've been doing and seeing the number of recurring tasks that I have kept after is so rewarding. As a visual person, I love the color coding to help with prioritizing. It also helps when you have multiple teams in Todoist, so you can assign them the tasks and they know which level of priority the tasks are. Overall, Todoist has changed the game in how I organize and get things done.

Cons

Sometimes I do experiences glitches with the Outlook plug in and the tasks don't always integrate with my calendar to update me. I also can get too many updates for my recurring tasks sometimes as well, which doesn't happen too often, but is still something that can throw me off through the weeks. Sometimes the templates available aren't always the most efficient for that area of work (i.e. the content calendar one is a little too simple and doesn't always organize the content super clearly). There aren't that many cons to Todoist in my opinion!

Scott B.
Company size: Self Employed

Intuitive product, quick to implement

Reviewed on 1/08/2019

I'm a proud premium member because the software does its job and doesn't get in my way. I use it for both my work and personal tasks, but separating the two out is really simple to do.

Pros

I've tried dozens of systems for my day-to-day tasks, and finally landed on Todoist a couple years ago. The natural language processing for entering in tasks makes it easy to type something in using the iOS app and pick up where I left off later on my Mac. Typing in a date automatically adds the date information, which means I can just type "add photo to new blog post tomorrow" and have the task on tomorrow's list without having to fiddle in menus.

As they say, it just works.

Cons

Things that "just work" tend to have their little nuances that mean sometimes it doesn't just work. Todoist is constantly pushing out updates behind the scenes through their server back-end, which means you're always on the latest version of the software even if you don't update the client software. Sometimes that means they move too fast and break things. There have been multiple occasions where the software suddenly doesn't work as expected and I have to wait a couple hours for them to push out a fix. Perhaps their testing procedures will meet enterprise expectations eventually, but this is normal for cloud services these days...

Industry: Financial Services

A Fully Featured Task Management Solution for Individual and Organizations

Reviewed on 22/07/2019

My overall experience with Todoist is very satisfactory and will recommend Todoist to most of the people. The UI is fantastic, feature set is almost complete, integrations and API are nicely done and pricing is very effective. If they can add some additional features like custom day start and end time and also durations for tasks, it will be a 5 star rated task management solution.

Pros

The things I liked the most about Todoist is its feature set. It has got nearly all the features you can ask from a task management service. Also, integrations is a strong point of Todoist. It has a two way Google Calendar sync, also integrates well with Zapier and IFTTT. The API provided by Todoist is very powerful and lets a user/developer automate stuff to a deeper extent.

Cons

The thing I liked the least about Todoist is lack of duration of tasks. There is no way to set a start and end time to the task which can lead to various miscalculations. Also, there is no option to set custom day start and end time, which can be problematic for some people.

Rob C.

Changed how I work & live

Reviewed on 14/05/2019

I use Todoist to manage just about everything I do, in the office and out. I've found it is particularly useful for breaking up lengthy task lists into day-to-day chunks of activity, as well as for creating plans for long-term work that needs to be picked at over time. With Todoist, I find myself much less likely to forget tasks that need doing, and to approach my work in an organized, methodical fashion.

Pros

No exaggeration, adopting Todoist as the app for tracking projects, chores, and other to-dos had a profound benefit to my productivity. The interface is fantastic, and integrations with IFTTT, Google Calendar, and heaps of other software makes it easy to automate the addition of tasks to your list or schedule.

The reminders, though, are what really changed the game for me. Being able to schedule reminders not only for particular dates and times, but for when you enter particular areas is an incredible benefit. For instance, it makes it easier remember to pick something up when you're physically at the store, or to check on the status of a project as soon as you arrive at work.

Finally, the karma and productivity streak systems, for those who like a little gamification, are nice tools for motivating yourself to stay on top of things.

Many of these features require or work best with a Premium subscription, which I endorse purchasing, but Todoist is also a great app as a free service. Try it out; you won't be disappointed.

Cons

The biggest issue I have with Todoist is that while the web and mobile applications are top-notch, the Windows 10 native app is missing features, particularly in regards to notifications. Sync is also inconsistent with that app. It's easy enough to get by without touching the native app, but I would love to see it fixed.

Industry: Real Estate

Streamlined Planning on All Devices

Reviewed on 19/04/2019

I used Todoist a few years back and loved it. I then switched to a different platform for one reason or another, but ended up coming back to Todoist for its ease of use and ability to have recurring tasks. I use it for my personal tasks as well as for my business tasks.

Pros

I use Todoist for both my personal task manager as well as my business task manager. I'm a work-from-home mom with a growing business and I like that I can seamlessly use this for ANY task I need to complete. I am able to put household chores, personal projects and work projects all in one. It allows me to organize and categorize all of my to-dos I add.

I love that I can have this on my desktop, tablet and phone and they seamlessly update constantly. It helps me know what needs to be done wherever I am.

The other thing that I absolutely LOVE and saves me tons of time is that I can make some tasks recurring. I am able to add weekly, daily or monthly tasks to my to-do list. This has helped me so I never forget a task or skip doing things that come up just once in a while.

When life gets really busy, and unexpected things come up I can easily change my tasks to a different due date. This makes a world of difference in actually getting my tasks done. Instead of having a to-do list a mile long, I can re-prioritize what I have left and add it to different days as needed.

Cons

My only complaint is that I'm not able to see what I've checked off in the free version. Sometimes a task will get accidentally bumped and marked as done on my phone, and I have no way of going back to retrieve what it was without paying.

The other thing I wish there was in this software was a way to add these items to my calendar. I use Google Calendars, and it would be really nice to be able to take a task and place it on my calendar schedule as well to keep my life super organized.

Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

A Highly Capable Task Management System

Reviewed on 21/12/2018

This software has been highly effective at helping me track not only personal tasks but organize business projects amongst a team that operates in a non-traditional office environment. By utilizing Todoist, we have ensured more effective tracking and increased our completion rate of tasks. It also allows for an easier sharing of information, allowing everyone to be informed.

Pros

Todoist is an excellent task management system that works well for both personal and business use. It offers the ability to easily organize projects and sub-projects as well as breaking tasks into smaller steps under one heading. It does take a traditional list format, as opposed to the visual card layout of Trello, but many people may find that they prefer this style.

The following features are ones that I have found to be extremely valuable in my roughly two years of using this software:
--Comments - the ability to make multiple comments on a task and even attach files has been great for both my personal and professional project management workflow.
--Assigning tasks - being able to assign tasks to specific team members is great for managing complex projects and tracking accountability.
--Integrations - integrations with popular services such as Outlook, Spark, Slack, Siri, Alexa, etc. make it easy and convenient to add tasks from anywhere. The ability to easily add an email is especially helpful.
--Labels - the ability to label tasks and projects and then filter based on those labels is extremely helpful.
--Natural language input - the ability to quickly and easily add a date, reminder, file in a project, or assign a person during the initial creation step makes it much easier to create detailed tasks.

Overall, I've found this software to be useful and would highly recommend both the free and premium versions.

Cons

Sometimes, depending on the OS, the interface can be funky. For example, I find the interface for iOS/mobile to be slightly harder to use when it comes to easily rearranging projects/tasks or making comments quickly.

I'd also like to see better visual organization in the form of custom icons for tasks. Though the ability to change colors exists, this often isn't enough during complex use. It would also be highly useful to assign tasks to multiple people or groups, instead of one particular person.