Authorize.net

Credit card processing for small & medium business merchants

4.4 /5 (116 reviews) Write a Review!
4.4
4.3
4.3
4.2
4.2
Jay M.

Holds Funds like PayPal Does - Avoid.

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

I'm not saying that Authorize.net does not work for everybody. But the digital marketer is in particular I would steer clear because it has the same issues that PayPal exhibits were sometimes a hold your funds for no reason and you have to fight to get them. Youre flagged as high risk

I was a customer with Authorize.net for about three months and I was approved for ACH bank transfers by their credit team. I put two of them through and all of a sudden my bank transfer account was shut down and they didn't tell me why other than my account was deemed high-risk by their bank and no matter what I did it would never be reopened ever. To my knowledge the only thing that makes it high-risk is that I charged about $5k in two days - Which I told the underwriter team was my norm before I signed up. They knew how much money I would be processing each month. They also told me that my business model wasn't elibigile for bank transfers.

My clients couldn't even ask for a refund. All they could do was dispute the charges that were on hold and if they did that it would hurt my account and my credit. To this day they still have about $4400 of my money that I will not get until the end of January if my account is in good standing. Well I shut down the account and moved over to QuickBooks so hopefully I get paid.

Again I'm doing recurring bank transfers with my client so this might not be the case for everybody and this might be great for credit card transactions.

Pros

It was very easy to set up recurring payments and sync with my webmaster.

Cons

- The UI is extremely outdated and looks like it's from the early 2000s.
- Your invoices are not customizable and they look tacky
- Navigating around the menu is not user-friendly as finding where you're trying to go and can be difficult
- Customer support is not the greatest and sometimes I can't help you with your problems or get back to you in a timely matter

Bryan M.
  • Industry: Design

The payment gateway we've preferred for ecommerce development projects

Reviewed on 2/07/2018

Reliable and trusted payment processing

Pros

Authorize.net is the standard in payment processing. For a complex and established ecommerce website, Authorize.net will offer the features needed and provides a trusted payment solution. Processing fees will be lower than competition like Stripe which larger volume businesses will benefit from.

Cons

The interface, lack of reporting, and complexity in setup is an issue for us in 2018 when options like Stripe can be setup and running in a few hours vs days with Authorize.net

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Apparel Website

Reviewed on 20/03/2019

Overall, Auth was reliable and accurate.

Pros

High visibility into transactional activity. Reports were thorough and I relied on them for my monthly finance reports.

Cons

Not sure if this still applies, but since it's a payment processor, you still need a second system to house all the bank data (like a Heartland, etc). This was important when dealing with chargebacks. Would be nice to have it all one system.

Courtney M.
  • Industry: Tobacco

This company has been great to deal with, always there when we need them

Reviewed on 13/07/2018

Easily complete refunds, voids, and view all current transactions for our business. Easy search function.

Pros

That it's super easy to use, and has been extremely reliable. When dealing with your customers money, thats of the upmost importance.

Cons

We have lots of fraud transactions, but we can't prevent that without implementing settings that would block a lot of legitimate transactions. Wish we could figure out something in the middle.

K.c. S.

Get's the Job Done

Reviewed on 18/05/2017

Pros

I have used Authorize.Net for about 2 years now and I have rarely ran into any problems. I love the clean format and it's easy to get the job done. I would recommend this product.

Cons

The interface of Authorize.Net hasn't changed in the 2 years I've used the software. So I'd say my only request to improve the software is add some cool new features every once in a while.

• Industry: Higher Education

easily access and apply credit card activity charges for clients

Reviewed on 13/02/2018

Great processing of credit cards and checks.

Pros

Very user friendly on the charging of credit cards and checks. Reliable and quick to use. Daily use is excellent for these purposes

Cons

The reporting of void transactions or credit card chargebacks isn't easy.
Searching for a transaction is not easy. The reporting functions do not fully work for me.

Dave O.
  • Industry: Wholesale

Good Product - Solid

Reviewed on 22/02/2019

The days of waiting for a modem to connect and bring back the results in 30 seconds are gone. If you have an internet connection, you can authorize credit cards.

Pros

This software is always up, ready and waiting. We have never had an issue with down time, and the response is almost immediate.

Cons

We had an issue where the bank and Authorize.net had an issue, and we were the middle man. I dont feel like they proactively tried to help and fix the issue our bank was having.

Maria I.

Having Authorize.net in our business is a like having your own bank !

Reviewed on 2/03/2018

Authorize.net is reallyeasy to useand makes payment processing a breeze!

Pros

You can accept any card payments which gives ease of payment and receipt, processing sales is never easier!

Cons

As a business you wanna cut down costs and though their rates are fair, youre expecting more options to cut down costs.

Alexandra C.

Reliable gateway to processing payments

Reviewed on 21/03/2018

Pros

Works with most merchant processors. Offers both credit cards processing, as well as ACH (eCheck) payments processing. Variety of reports available.

Cons

Sometimes Authorize.net is down, this is rare, but when it happens you can't process your payments. They usually try to fix it fast.

Lori M.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

It's been good. Very stable and it integrates with our donor software.

Pros

Easy to use, prices/fees are reasonable. Customer service is good, I've used the online chat and they have been quick to reply and you don't end up waiting in a cue forever.

Cons

The mobile app isn't awfully user friendly to use although some of that might be that our ipad is older and sometimes its been glitchy

• Industry: Tobacco

No frills, easy to use payment gateway

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

Pros

We like that the integration, management, and overall quality of the software is great!

Cons

I don't care for the password reset functionality, but customer service is helpful if you ever find yourself in a bind.

Jennifer M.

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Pros

We are not a huge card processor so this software fits us well and is compatible with our internal processing software.

Cons

somewhat convoluted when trying to process credit cards. Not very self-explanatory.

Tom H.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Excellent, inexpensive, service provider with free fraud protection tools . Great customer...

Reviewed on 15/03/2018

Pros

I like that it provides fraud protection tools that gives me peace of mind while handling my information. I also like the professional payment seal. I also like that it has been in business over 20 years. It makes me feel more secure that an established company will be handling my payments. They accept all forms of payments which make it easier for my customers and helps increase my sales.

Cons

I know they are inexpensive but when business is slow, I would prefer that I wouldn't be charged the same fees.

Katy F.

Pretty sufficient

Reviewed on 6/08/2019

Pros

Very simple to use. Integrates with our CRM and website payments.

Cons

I’ve had no real issues this far. If any error occurs, maybe a client being charged twice, it’s easily fixed.

Works great...until it doesn't...

Reviewed on 18/09/2019

Customer support is fairly competent but several were smug. And I'm not only referencing the issue I had with the transaction limit (where I was obviously frustrated), I have had several communications and about half were less than friendly/helpful. Never saying anything overtly negative, but just bad attitudes and not treating people like valued customers.

Pros

Competitive rates. Set up was relatively smooth,.

Cons

1) No alerts when you're nearing your transaction limits. 2) Going over your transaction limits is VERY painful - they hold on to your funds and request a ton of information (more than I gave them when we signed up), and once you've hit your limit, you're funds are permanently on hold until you jump through all of their hoops (e.g monthly transaction limit of $X, monthly transactions of $X - $1 = no problems, monthly transactions of $X + $1 and your account is frozen indefinitely, even when the next month comes and you're assuming that you have $X limit again - NOPE!).

Simple, easy, and effective way to get payments!

Reviewed on 1/03/2018

Pros

Our team mainly uses this software for the credit card processing for our events. It's quick, amazingly reliable, and super easy to use. I appreciate the time value of this software and love how quickly I can collect card information.

Cons

I wish the software had a live link or a way for clients to be able to access the link to put their own credit card information in rather than us having to do it ourselves.

Dana H.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Excellent product, but is not always great for customer service

Reviewed on 13/03/2018

Pros

Authorize.Net allows you to receive payment from your clients with ease by taking credit card information and allowing our finance department easy access. It is quick and usually painless

Cons

I wish there was a way of knowing why a CC was declined, or being able to send a code to your client so you didn't have to call them for each payment that is made.

Brian D.

A must have payment gateway for API

Reviewed on 25/02/2017

Authorize.net as a direct payment gateway is a bit confusing but its ability to integrate via API with many other applications makes it a leader in the industry.

I don't care for the look and feel of the gateway itself, but through the API we are able to create invoices and bill directly from our main CRM allowing us to track, update and control payment schedules without logging into a separate payment platform.

• Used Other for 1-5 months

Stay FAAAAR away!

Reviewed on 5/04/2018

No benefits, only problems.

Pros

They're dated and they don't play fair, and that's why disruptive companies like Stripe and Square are making Authorize.net fall out of the public eye. I wish I could share something positive here so you don't just mistake this review for someone who had a bad experience. However, I'm unable to find even one thing to state here. They don't even let you keep the funds you receive from customers.

If you choose to go with Authorize.net, just be VERY careful. (Whatever that means.)

Cons

If they play that game with you, call your bank and issue a chargeback on them. Don't concede to this company or they'll just keep taking advantage of you.

Tried and True Payments

Reviewed on 21/12/2018

Pros

Authorize.net has been around for a long time, and it's easy to see why. They make it easy to integrate between merchant accounts and processors and our ecommerce platforms.

Cons

If you're new to using it, there's somewhat of a learning curve to understand the language that's used. Authorize doesn't do a great job of educating their customers.

Justin C.

Merchant Gateway at its best

Reviewed on 11/11/2016

Authorize.net features easy to use and very user friendly software. The program has awesome search features, easy to access reporting and awesome fraud protection and filters in place. This is by far the best gateway I have used and I have used more than a few in the past.

Katie R.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

READ THE FINE PRINT...IF THERE IS ANY

Reviewed on 21/12/2020

Pros

The reason we chose them in the first place is that they integrate well with software we use for our customers.

Cons

From the minute we signed up I knew there would be issues. They hold your money, decide to shut down your account for absolutely no reason and then decide to hold your money for 120 days. First it was 3-5, than 5-7 than possibly 3-5 on top of the 5-7. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR MONEY AND SANITY.

Keyana K.

Gets the job done with hardly any issues ever.

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

Pros

Authorize.net is our payment gateway, as we are a company that runs several credit card transactions daily. The fees are minimal, the customer service has always been great (even if, at times, the reasons I had to call we're not so great), and the website is about the simplest one I've ever used, considering all of the information it processes. We don't use any POS devices, just the website, but that's still MORE than enough for us.

Cons

I wish it was easier to edit ARB subscriptions; for example, if I want to simply change the date that a customer's auto-charge runs, I have to actually delete the whole thing, and create a new one to reflect the date change. That's pretty annoying, but for a website that hasn't really changed much in the 12 years since I first began using it, I can only expect so much at this point.

• Industry: Sports

Authorize.net Review

Reviewed on 3/04/2019

Authorize.net helps us take and track payments. We have been using it for 8+ years with my company and haven't had many issues. We use it with several different POS systems and the support provided whenever there are issues is great. They have one of the most effective chat for help options I have ever used.

Pros

Authorize.net makes it super easy to take payments through our ticketing system. If we weren't able to link these programs getting payments would take a lot more effort, but this provides ease for the front and back end.

Cons

The software uses another third party processor that adds additional fees, but overall doesn't harm the effectiveness of the program.

Rebecca B.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Wonderful Product

Reviewed on 13/11/2018

Very good experience and a very good product. Very rarely any issues whatsoever.

Pros

Ease of use and the capabilities it has. Nice easy sign on, very ease and useful search options.

Cons

I feel like the only issue I have is sometimes trying to look up a transaction by the cardholders last name causes confusion. Especially if they use a Jr. or a Sr. Other than that, no problems.