Clover

Comprehensive point of sale & business management solution

4 /5 (274 reviews) Write a Review!
3.7
3.9
4.2
3.6
Madison M.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Use in my small businees

Reviewed on 6/08/2018

Clover has been an excellent option for taking payments in my stores.

Pros

My coffee shop uses clover devices as our POS system. The software is convenient and easy to place in a store. It features many apps that make it applicable to nearly any market. They also have many accessories- the main one we use are the receipt printers (small and regular size), the handheld tablet, and the customer interface screen.

Cons

Over time the clover tablets do slow down. We frequently reboot them to rev up the speed.

Elizabeth S.
Industry: Entertainment

Almost Great...

Reviewed on 10/05/2020

My overall experience with clover has spanned from the creation of menus and items with sub menus and add ons for each item, as well as specials for days of the week as well as happy hour times to daily usage for pos transactions. Overall I have been very happy with everything, other than the need to set up account through bank, as I mentioned before.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use clover for grab and go, sit down service, or retail services. It is the only pos system I know of that is easy to use for one or all three of the above type of service. With one pos you can easily switch apps and have optimized layout and design for each of the above, while keeping the same items and menus/submenus.

Cons

I dislike that it has to be used through your bank. It makes it really hard for management to have the ability to access customer support and full features, since most owners dont want their employees, even management, to have access to full banking info.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Katey K.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

For accepting payments

Reviewed on 28/10/2020

Positive. Much easier than our last system. Just wish they weren't so expensive.

Pros

That it is portable and easy to use for people who are not tech savy. You can also take pictures of people if you need to when you take their payment.

Cons

How expensive it is to replace a machine that is out of it's warranty.

Jeanine M.
Industry: Retail

DO NOT BUY A CLOVER DEVICE UNTIL YOU READ THIS REVIEW.

Reviewed on 19/06/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Everyone passes the buck. When you call Clover they tell you to call the app maker. You call the app maker and they tell you to call Clover. If you call your bank that you bought the system from, they tell you to call Clover. Everyone is "sorry" but no one can fix the issue or can offer an alternative.

Pros

There is nothing I like about my Clover device other than the price labels it can print for my products, BUT, that is an additional app you have to pay for and an additional piece of equipment you have to buy, which the rep told me was all included. I have to pay a monthly fee to be able to print price tags, he said that was also included.

Cons

1)Don't get too excited about all the apps they offer! They all cost money (if you want the version that actually does more than the basics) and NONE OF THE THIRD PARTY APPS WORK WITH EACH OTHER!!! So, you may download the rewards app and an invoicing app. Because they don't work together, the customer will never get credit for any of their rewards, etc.. 2) Technical support always says they will call you back but they NEVER do 3)Your system comes with minimal capabilities. Think of it as a calculator that can process payments. 4) Sometimes it keeps accurate inventory counts, sometimes it doesn't. 5) When entering inventory, it frequently saves an item twice. You may enter an item with a quantity of 6. Clover enters the item twice, now you have the item at 12!

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Jatin P.
Industry: Computer Software

Best Cloud POS Available!

Reviewed on 23/07/2020

Great customer service, great developers. Lots of apps to accomplish just about anything with your business.

Pros

Clover is so easy to setup. It has so many apps and the developers are always willing to add features that you may need.

Cons

You have to transfer all of your data from your old system. Compatibility is an issue. But any cloud system requires this transfer of original data.

Jodi M.
Industry: Medical Practice

Great payment processing device

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

Clover payment system has been really great for our spa. Really easy to run transactions, reports or refunds. The customer service has been knowledgeable and super friendly when we have had any issues.

Pros

It’s is super easy to take and track transactions. Has report capabilities And many functions. It is super easy to use. I have two different clover devices for different providers and they are all great.

Cons

The software itself is wonderful. The only issue I have is with the flex portable device on/off button. It is on the side and client constantly hit the button when they are picking up to sign for a transaction. The button should be on back underneath where it can’t be accidentally touched.

Gordon D.
Industry: Sporting Goods

Needed a new Payment Processor and they killed it

Reviewed on 18/02/2020

Customer service has been great to work with. The integration with my website was beyond simple which is what I need running a 2 person business.

Pros

The ease of which I was able to set up an account for my business and integrated it into my website was astonishing. Most people think of clover as a POS system but I primarily use it on the back side of my website and needed the option for a mobile POS. They have it both.

Cons

The cost of equipment that is needed to use this software as a POS is a bit daunting. There are different levels of equipment, but they are all a little pricey.

Michael H.

Not Recommended For Restaurant Operations Regardless How Small

Reviewed on 8/10/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The simple and very common "custom item" or "open food" item commonly used in the restaurant industry and CLOVERS lack of ability to attach a printer to such has ruined what otherwise would be a useful and easy system.

Pros

the ease of using but the simplest item below has ruined the experience.

Cons

CLOVER Dining comes with button "Custom Item" . CLOVER is incapable of sending this item to the kitchen printer. After 4 calls to CLOVER and 2 dropped calls and no return call (even though they ask you prior to any conversation for a call back #), their only suggestion is to create an "inventory item" and attach the "Kitchen Label", HOWEVER, that does not give you the flexibility or customization of price and name. One would think if they have an option "Custom Item" that is flexible to price and label and prints in detail on the 'receipt" they would also be able to attach the "kitchen label" so the items prints in the kitchen.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Kelly P.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Ideal POS system for a food truck.

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

Overall a very positive experience! Great for foodservice and customer support has been able to quickly resolve issues whenever they came up.

Pros

The interface is clear, easily navigated and very editable to meet your needs. This has been ideal for our coffee truck that enjoys making custom, often complicated orders.

Cons

"Waking up" the system is a slow process, often takes us somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes every morning. Most days we have to do a full reboot in order to get things operational.

Sylvia R.

Clover Pos

Reviewed on 24/02/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

From the pos system itself, we are multistore, so that is added complications for the clover system. On the register side, looking up customer names is complicated, you type the last name, but cannot enter the full name or it will not find it, so you enter the last name and have to scroll through the list of lets say 50 last name of smith, takes way to much time, and really difficult on the mini with the small screen. To increase quantity you have to go to another screen and then back again, more time, If one person does a price check by entering an item because a customer wants the total with tax, even though you delete the item, or clear open order, if a second sales person then logs in to check someone out the order still reads with the first person doing the sale even though they logged out. From the dashboard side, no ability to print many things such as transfer slips from HQ to the other 3 stores, once it is transferred it is on the screen until the store accepts the item in, after that the info is gone, and you cannot access for questions, etc. the lack of alphabetical order on many functions, the tax functions, if you use different tax rate for each of our 3 taxing authorities, as we did (and would prefer) say you have 10,000. in sales, 3 tax rates, when they are done separately the total income would then become 30,000.00, so many of the reports are not accurate as they read.

Pros

clover has been making some updates in the months since we have been using them, which have been good and helpful, but much is needed to make it functional for a multistore, without having to pay way to much monthly for apps to do things

Cons

to get even what I would consider basic functions, purchase more apps that would raise the monthly cost out of reach, sometimes the apps will show different figures, when creating an item, for our multistore setting, I can create for all 4 locations at once, with name, label, category, cost, price, but the tax rate, I have to go into a different screen for each location and fix all tax rates, very time consuming

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Brianna C.

If you're considering using Clover...answer: YES

Reviewed on 28/08/2020

Overall experience is fabulous! We LOVE Clover. Inputting new items is much easier with the handheld Flex, ringing purchases is easier, contactless payment is nice, the option to text/email receipt is great (it doesn't auto-print receipts which saves paper. We seriously love this equipment.

Pros

The product is easy to use; the android platform is brilliant and was easy to operate. The features are self-explanatory; it was clear how to use many of the features such as splitting transactions by payment or by items.
My favorite part is the reporting; the item sales report is easy to generate and organize by label (which is very useful). It tracks cost as well and at the top of the report it gives an overview of net profit, COGS, and gross profit-very nice.
I also love how easy it is to look up past orders/transactions; the barcode lookup functionality to pull up past orders is so convenient. This is especially helpful for assisting customers with returns.
The migration from our old POS system to Clover was not too bad; we had to input every item by hand, but the handheld Flex machines made this easier.
We are also looking into using one of the apps to integrate online ordering for curbside pick up and delivery. The apps, such as Menufy, use our Clover inventory so the reporting will sync-no double entry!

Cons

There are some features of the software that could be better: We would like a field in the inventory where we can enter the item's brand. The Inventory Audit could be a little easier to use; it would be nice if it showed a running log of items counted (on different devices by different employees) and allowed us to combine those entries into 1 large batch before a final submission.
When applying discounts, it would be more convenient if we could apply a discount to the whole order and then select specific items to remove that discount from them (this is helpful when a customer is purchasing 15-20 items and 1 item cannot have a discount applied to it. With the current way it is programed, in this case we would have to select each item that gets the discount leaving out the 1, or do 2 separate transactions. Would be much easier to apply to all but have the ability to take away.)
The hardware can be a little finicky; the fingerprint scanner for logging into the machine has not been working, however this is not super important because we can log in with a code as well.
We have also been having some issues with duplicate payments; solution pending.

David F.
Industry: Retail

An out of the box solution that works well for small business

Reviewed on 31/03/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Clover is an excellent and good looking choice for a small to medium size business in need of a reliable and cost effective solution. You will be pleased as I have been. The system offers quite a bit of integrations and once implemented you will be amazed at the power of this system. I wish we could have linked all stores together but we were only allowed three machines to link per location. Overall, an excellent POS!

Pros

I was in search for s POS for three thrift stores my nonprofit operated. The old cash register no longer fits the internal control environment and a switch was desperately needed. After researching multiple platforms I opted for Clover. The others were simply too expensive and too complex for our needs. The Clover system worked brilliantly and continues to power the sales desk at all three stores. Each store has three registers and we were able to link the three to the main server to aggregate totals for each store. Sales increased and customer satisfaction went up as well. Clover has a host of apps to integrate including inventory management, time and attendance, markdowns, and a customer loyalty program which was a hit with our customers. The Clover system is truly a remarkable POS for the price of entry. The sleek modern look keeps the cash wrap looking clean and updated. The Digital receipt and signature has cut down on paper waste and makes us feel like we are doing out part to create less stress on the environment. Overall this is a simple and powerful solution that powers millions in annual retail sales for the organization.

Cons

The one setback is the operating system is Android. I find Android to be clunky and prone to security threats. We had to ensure we had it on a secure network and well protected by firewalls. Additionally it took some time to learn the system. Disclaimer- we operated on a complete iOS ecosystem until we bright on Clover. So not a big setback just more learning.

Chenna C.
Industry: Restaurants

Clover for restaurants

Reviewed on 28/07/2020

Excellent in every possible way conceivable. We didn't have any major challenges during the last 2+ years of the usage.

Pros

Extremely easy to configure and change on the fly or on the internet, so, you don't have to be next to the machine to change or update anything. I can walk my Manager through this without any issues at all. The customer support is great. They are literally one call away. And anyone from the restaurant can call from the system, so, they don't have to provide any details on the account etc. Also, they can remotely log into the system directly and change things that we request, which is great, so, as a business owner I am not tied up to the system having to do everything myself.

Cons

Some of the features need us to call the Clover Customer Support. Also, in the good old restaurant POS systems you can print the bill and the customer adds the tip manually on paper. Also, the system automatically prints Receipts even though we touch the No Receipt Printed option. They need to fix that to avoid the waste of paper.

Katie M.
Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to Use and Competitive Rates

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

Overall, the product is simple enough to use that I am not worried about any of our contracted therapists messing up the process and avoiding taking payments.

Pros

What I like most about Clover is that it can be downloaded on any smart device as app and has an easy to use card chip reader. Our agency wanted a chip reader for extra customer security and Clover offered that option.

Cons

I like least about the software is that is does not capture customer information as simple as their first and last name, but simply has a text box for a description. Our agency uses the device for customer copays for therapy appointments and in the text box I am forced to put the customers last name in order to reconcile payments later.

Sara C.

Great POS for smaller businesses

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Overall, I am happy with my experience with Clover. It has helped me manage my inventory, visualize my top and bottom sellers and identify peak hours for business. I recommend to any small retailer who needs an easy POS setup and inventory management solution.

Pros

The Clover POS is intuitive to use, easy to manage user accounts/ access for employees and very easy to add new items to inventory. The analytics available also aren’t too shabby.

Cons

I don’t like having the experience I have when dealing with Clover support but fortunately the need to do so is rare.

Dayna W.
Industry: Education Management

Two thumbs up for Clover

Reviewed on 26/10/2019

I have very much enjoyed learning to use the Clover products. I would recommend these products for anyone.

Pros

Clover payment processing software is very easy to use. Our school takes payments daily with the desktop CloverMini, the easily portable CloverFlex and CloverGo. It is very easy to print out a combined report with the total that will be deposited, yet showing who ran the individual payments. You can also add notes to your transactions and email right from every machine. Super helpful!

Cons

Setting permissions for each person that uses the machines has been a challenge. There doesn't seem to be a manual for the set up, however, our CC service team is amazing and very knowledgeable. The only other thing that bothers me is that you can not void a transaction. Even if you void a transaction immediately, it still goes through and then refunds a day later.

Yessenia S.
Industry: Restaurants

Excellent POS System for any business!

Reviewed on 29/10/2018

Overall it is a great pos system!

Pros

When we change to clover, we thought it was going to be difficult for us to learn how to use it. We were wrong it, was really easy to use and install. One of the things I love about it is, that I can add products remotely on the inventory. I can also verify the transaction remotely from my pc or my phone. The customer support is great, they immediately call back when you contact them for any problem you have with the machine, transactions, or any question you have. You can also add more features to your pos because they have a app store, which let's you add online orders, id verification, etc.

Cons

Our business is a grocery store and restaurant, so we have the ebt program for the grocery store. It would be great if the clover machine with detect which items are ebt and which aren't ebt elegible. That way we wouldn't have to do 2 different transactions, because it does take more time for cashiers to charge what the customer is buying.

Alyson L.

Clover for all Merch Needs

Reviewed on 11/08/2018

We've used the same model for almost 3 years and very had any issue, so I can say I'm one very satisfied customer!

Pros

It's easy to use, it's very similar to a smartphone in that it has apps which are all very user-friendly. There are large buttons. When I need to print receipts or run payroll I can get all the info I need with a few taps on the screen. Our device is the clover mini and had a touch screen, its sleek, it looks very updated VS old-style terminals which is an added bonus. But if you have any trouble... you can just click the "call me" button and a live person calls very quickly and guides you through whatever you need!

Cons

The devices are not cheap, so if anything happened to it that could be an expensive loss. We lease ours and pay protection plan which is well worth the peace of mind!

Abiodun O.
Industry: Automotive

Clover - Recent switch from Square and we are saving a TON of money in fees

Reviewed on 20/12/2019

Now, with Clover, we have a clover mini and the POS is great,. We needed a system that could print paper receipts.

Pros

We switched and saved. Before, we were paying a certain percentage across the boards, with Square. Now we have great fees and pricing with Clover.

Cons

The thing I like the least, which is common with systems like Clover, it took a while to get acclimatized and for funds to make it to our account in a timely manner.

Daria K.
Industry: Arts & Crafts
Company size: Self Employed

It’s my favorite little machine

Reviewed on 7/03/2019

I used to have the station one and the battery on it died so quickly and even if it had 75% it would shut down and take 2 hours to restart. Clover = losing sales for me.
Then I got the flex one and it’s amazing. So tiny and powerful. Beautiful easy experience.

Pros

I love and and so as my customers.
It’s fun and functional. It accepts Apple Pay, and tells you the reason why cards decline, it give you options to view past sales, transactions, reports, refunds, etc.

Cons

The option that I would add is a search for a last 4 digits. Sometimes I have to look up a customer and have to scroll and scroll and scroll to find him.
Another issue is with their station models as they need maintenance - your battery will drain and you will lose internet connection.

Jennifer C.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Much Much more than a credit card processor

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

This machine processes all cards. You can set up apple pay and tap to pay very easily. It has helped us streamline our checkout process.

Pros

The clover has more features like time clock, inventory, calculators and so so much more than your standard credit card processor. This system can run your whole business. It is easy to use much like an apple tablet and you are able to customize your apps to fit your business. And trust me there is an app for almost every thing you would need.

Cons

I like everything but I do feel like we are under utilizing a lot of its features. Maybe some online training for for our staff would be a good idea

Katie S.
Industry: Mental Health Care

This software & accompanying app are a good way to accept CC payments securely from remote locations

Reviewed on 5/06/2018

The reason why we choose this software was the hardware that allowed us to accept chips instead of a standard slide of a credit card which is much less secure. Also, because we have individuals accepting payments in remote locations, it was necessary to choose a device that could be used on cell phones or tablets.

Pros

What I like most about Clover is the ability to take payments on any Smart phone or tablet. Each user has a unique username and password that has certain functionality depending on the permissions given to the user which is necessary when multiple user types will be using the software.

Cons

What I like least about the software is that you must enter a person's name on the order because only sometimes does the card reader capture the card holder's name making it tough to manually reconcile registers after the fact. Also, the app has the option to use a pin number to avoid having to enter a username and password each time, but the app frequently shuts down when inputting the pin and forces the user to always enter their username and password.

Amanda T.
Industry: Veterinary

Nice System

Reviewed on 27/10/2020

Love that this machine can give clients peace of mind, as they can process their own payments- from inserting their card and entering their pin numbers, to choosing how they would like to receive their receipts. Also love that it is easy to train new staff members on how to process payments and do end of the day reporting. Overall great experience!

Pros

Easy to use/learn. Very easy to read- apps , wording and numbers are a great size even for older clients who are using the machine. Reporting at the end of the day is simple to retrieve and review. Customer service is great!

Cons

Check processing can be a little tricky with having to hold the checks over the top of the machine to take the picture, but otherwise it is great.

Carol B.
Industry: Retail

Clover not a choice for retail, very misrepresented and pricey

Reviewed on 22/09/2016
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

There is absolutely nothing that I like about this product except maybe the appearance and not too bad adding in stock that is already in the system.

Cons

This is marketed as a state of the art POS system with added capabilities through apps. However the base system is so limited that i would not even consider it a POS system, but more of an expensive payment processor. I had researched retail systems and most have lots of features and capabilities such as accepting unlimited bar codes, include a wide variety of detailed reports, inventory management including tracking of stock, re-orders, keeping track of back orders, client records, all kinds of very basic needs to a retail store. When the bank presented this system, I asked very specifically about its capabilities and gave very clear information on what I needed in a system. The rep assured me that it not only did all of the basics that I needed, but it also had apps that were available for customizing and expanding , such as going into also having an online sales presence. So, I feel it was either deliberately misrepresented or the rep is not trained at all on what the system offers and did not feel it important enough to get valid answers. The basic system does not even include basic necessary functions for retail. 1) it has a 15,000 bar code limit, plus other limits for categories and modifiers. - Their solution is for you to create new bar codes per item and just use the modifiers and what not to make up for it - however the modifiers and such also have limits. 2) it does not allow more than one wholesale cost per bar code. So if you obtain stock at differing prices due to seasons, volume, clearance, or price increases - the new prices over writes the original price put in. There is no way to have different cost for the same item. So again their suggestion is creating new bar codes for new pricing or to have a separate system for tracking cost of goods. 3) The reports are nominal. They look like ticker tape reports. No report gives information usable for a purchase order. I made the categories my suppliers so I could easily use the category report to reorder sold products, but the product and bar codes are not part of the report, so the only indicator of which item it is is the description and price. There are also few types of reports available compared to other systems I had looked at. 4) There is no purchase order capability in the base system, so also no way to track orders, back orders or way to easily know what to even order from sales or stock quantities. 5) I have had multiple times where items are put into inventory only to have them not show up when scanned at the register. Part of the time, I will go into the inventory app later and find the item with all of the necessary info there, but for some reason it is not getting picked up by the register app. Other times it isn't there and even after going back and re-entering again, I still have same problem, so I have resorted to running these items as a customer item which has further screwed up the accuracy of my inventory. 6) Due to various glitches (items not showing up in or possibly not even being subtracted properly from inventory) my inventory is nowhere close to accurate and at some point will have to be fixed. 7) To order or check inventory has to be done almost exclusively by physically going through my store to see what truly is in the store and what is needed and then typing up an order or report from that. 8) new inventory is all added manually rather than the scanner adding into the inventory app. So if you have two on the shelf, but two more you add it to make now 4. There is nothing that shows you who or what manually added or subtracted from the inventory app or when. You can assign specific access to specific functions, but I have found no oversight at all, there is no way to see what they are actually doing besides their name by the transaction they oversaw at the register. This is only the beginning of what this system lacks. 9) The only way to make up for these shortfalls is through the app store (which they had told me was for customizing, expansive needs - not basic functions). I still have yet to see anything that really covers everything this system lacks and each app costs monthly and I could easily be spending somewhere between $99 and $250/ month on an app - and its a thrid party app, that though approved, is not guaranteed, and then it is more customer service reps to deal with. I have been unable to get any decent or helpful responses from customer service reps just with the system itself - can't imagine what it would be like with glitches between apps and the system.On top of all of what the system does not do, I got mine though a lease which is way more expensive then it was presented to be, and the lease is "iron clad, unbreakable" with no guarantee the system works for my situation. I have taken it to corporate level and the best I have gotten so far is an apology that I have been inconvenienced but still denying me the ability to get out of the lease. This is so non-functional for a dance store with lots of shoes, that I will have to get another system while paying for this one while I fight to get it resolved. The only reason I leased this system was the answers given to me bto very thorough questions and it was 100% misrepresented. I hate dealing with tech anything by phone and it looked like a simple solution - on the ground set up and my bank, merchant services, POS all basically through the same place. What a disaster it has been. Has made everything more time consuming then if I had just had a basic old fashioned register and done books handwritten and not had to spend so much. The purpose of the point of sale system was to simplify book keeping and have all of the inventory, purchase orders, client info, etc. all in one system. This does absolutely nothing well except possibly process the payments - at what is seeming like pretty high fees.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Clover, simple to use and manage

Reviewed on 9/04/2018

Pros

Clover is simple to manage, from adding new products to new users, the process is simple and straightforward. The user interface is clear and well formatted, Clover is a very professional looking product. Clover can provide us with reporting data, as a business this is ideal. As an administrator of the system, the home page allows me to access everything easily. From reporting and employees as mentioned earlier, to transactions, everything is easy to manage. Moving on from the software. The Clover hardware is of the highlight quality, from the Clover mini to the printers.

Cons

As far as I'm aware, in the Employee setup once an employee has been created, the full name cannot be altered, only the nickname. It would be nice to update employees names.